+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Australia, Club Continental Competition

Amateur
    clinging to a rubber duck in the middle of a raging sea....

Default Australia, Club Continental Competition

Do they compete in the Asian Championship?

Is there a way to play in OFC?

Amateur

Default Re: Australia, Club Continental Competition

They play in the AFC. I am not sure what happens if wellington win the a-league because Auckland city, one of the other new zealand teams, plays in the OFC

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Twizted_seed View Post
    They play in the AFC. I am not sure what happens if wellington win the a-league because Auckland city, one of the other new zealand teams, plays in the OFC
    I'd reckon the AFC would either ban them from playing in the ACL and give their spot ot someone else or they'll be forced out of the A-League altogether.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Twizted_seed View Post
    Wellington Phoenix FC can never play in either the AFC or the OFC Champions leagues cause the New Zealand FA won't allow it

Amateur

So is it possible to play as Wellington Phoenix in ACL in Football Manager 2010? (I found the information, that in the "reality" Wellington is able to play in ACL until 2011)
    So is there anybody, who play in FM2010 in ACL after 2011?

and if "yes":
    Were NZ and OZ players recognized by ACL rules as domenstic players?

First Team Squad Member

I won the Asian Champions League with Wellington phoenix in 2013, all New Zealand and Australian players were recognised as domestic players.

Third Team

Interesting interview with the AFC President about the situation here.

Third question down.

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by BenArsenal View Post
    Interesting interview with the AFC President about the situation here.

Third question down.
    The only way to save Wellington Phoenix is for New Zealand to become an AFC member then...the main thing though, Wellington has to stay in the A-League or else New Zealand football won't be competitive. They don't have the financial infrastructure in the New Zealand league.

It's kinda like TFC and the MLS situation. We qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League through the Nutrilite Canadian Championship. I actually don't even know if we go to the MLS Cup Final if we're automatically eligible to go to the Champions League even if we don't win our own Canadian Championship.

Amateur

As I found on goal com site:

"To comply with the provisions of the Regulations, the number of foreign players (non-Australian) in Wellington Phoenix FC should be the same as in other clubs participating in the A-League. In case Wellington Phoenix qualifiy for the ACL, the 3+1 system should be implemented by the club according to the ACL Regulations.
    Otherwise, Wellington Phoenix FC should belong to the second division of the A-League, which should be newly created by the FFA. "

So during A-league season they will have a 5 non Australian players limit, so this solution will not be prospective for NZ football.

+ Reply to Thread