dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

The Aim

To take a small club who were previously unplayable in the game from the Blue Square N/S to Premier League and Champions League glory.

The Rules

Load a game with the English leagues only, with the Blue Square N/S selected, a large database (or smaller if preferred) and the attribute masking and the transfer boxes ticked. No additional players from any nation should be loaded. It should look like this.

The extra levels of detail that you can change while in the game are up to you, as they shouldn't make a difference.

Add yourself as an unemployed manager, the details are not important at all. I like to call mine 'Holiday Man'.

Go on holiday until 19th June, this shouldn't take that long, perhaps about an hour. Saving on 18th June may give you a better choice of teams by reloading the game then going on holiday for one day, I would strongly recommend trying this.

Retire your 'Holiday Man' manager, it's always a sad moment, a bit like when the farmer says 'that'll do pig, that'll do' at the end of Babe.

Add a new manager, the options are up to you but 'past experience' must be set to the lowest possible which is 'Sunday league footballer'. I understand that choosing different nationalities may have an effect later on, but I trust people will be sensible with this. I would expect people to use their own true nationalities.

Take over one of the new clubs promoted to the Blue Square North or South, they should appear in this list which also shows the reputation of the possible clubs. The reputation should act as a difficulty level, the lower the reputation, the harder your game should be. Everybody knows that real men manage a club with a reputation less than 1000 icon_wink.gif

Isthmian Premier

AFC Hornchurch           900
AFC Wimbledon            1350
Ashford Town (Middx)     650
Billericay Town          1100
Boreham Wood             950
Carshalton Athletic      900
Chelmsford City          1250
East Thurrock United     600
Folkestone Invicta       700
Harlow Town              600
Harrow Borough           750
Hastings United          600
Hendon                   900
Heybridge Swifts         850
Horsham                  800
Leyton                   700
Maidstone United         800
Margate                  1100
Ramsgate                 850
Staines Town             800
Tonbridge Angels         850
Wealdstone               700

Northern Premier

Ashton United            750
Buxton                   850
Eastwood Town            850
Fleetwood Town           1000
Frickley Athletic        850
Gateshead                1200
Guiseley                 1200
Hednesford Town          1300
Ilkeston Town            1050
Kendal Town              900
Leek Town                900
Lincoln United           850
Marine                   1250
Matlock Town             1150
North Ferriby United     950
Ossett Town              900
Prescot Cables           1000
Stamford                 1000
Whitby Town              1100
Witton Albion            1250
Worksop Town             1200

Southern Premier

Banbury United           800
Bashley                  600
Bedford Town             1000
Brackley Town            400
Bromsgrove Rovers        700
Cheshunt                 600
Chippenham Town          900
Cirencester Town         750
Clevedon Town            750
Corby Town               650
Gloucester City          800
Halesowen Town           900
Hemel Hempstead Town     800
Hitchin Town             1000
King's Lynn              1100
Mangotsfield United      850
Merthyr Tydfil           1100
Rugby Town               600
Swindon Supermarine      450
Team Bath                552
Tiverton Town            1000
Yate Town                650

It is now up to you to manage this club all the way to the Premier League title and UEFA Champions League crown.

You may not move clubs unless you are sacked.

If you get sacked, you can either take over a newly promoted club that satisfies the original criteria (check the club's league history), or just start again.

Any form of international management is not allowed, until you have completed the challenge.

There are no restrictions on assigning feeder/parent clubs.

To sign a player, you must be able to scout them, this doesn't mean you have to, just he must be accessible to your scouts. If you have a foreign player on a free transfer who is willing to come on trial, you do not need to be able to scout them.

No external utilities such as FMScout should be used and the database should be unedited. Should SI release a data update, this would be allowed. It is advised that people should update using the latest patches as they are released.

Rules for this Thread

Player naming is allowed. (This is a warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

Discussion on tactics is allowed. (This is another warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

Screenshots for anything are encouraged.

When you join the challenge, could you post a screenshot of your manager's profile on the 19th June Like this .

Progress of your club should be documented using this thread, we want to hear the story of your club all the way through. Please keep us updated, even if you are doing really badly.

At the end of every season, could everyone post some kind of season review, including at least a screenshot of a league table and the clubs transfer page. If you give this a title in bold it makes it a bit easier to pick out.

The Website

Thanks to Allan our webmaster, we have our very own website: http://www.dafugeschallenge.com/

When taking part in the challenge you can register with the site which tracks your progress throughout the challenge. If you do not sign up to the website, your name will not appear on the list which I will regularly post in this thread.

How to Post a Screenshot

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> While in FM, press the 'Prt Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).

<LI> Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image

<LI> Save the file as a JPEG

<LI> Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket or Imageshack

<LI> Post the direct Url to the image here.

Best of luck icon14.gif

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As i said yesterday, i began this challenge with Halesowen and thankfully it seems i guessed the correct set-up. Here's my Profile.

After a torrid pre-season struggling to find a tactic of any use whatsoever, the first 3 league games weren't as bad as expected. A home defeat and two away draws sees us 16th after 3 games. Got 3 West Brom players on loan including Stuart Nicholson who is far too good at this level. Can't play too much tonight but thought i should register my start.

PS. I have scouts apply first time round to my advert.

Screenshot of your profile should probably say 19th June, not 20th icon_wink.gif

Going to holiday and see if Hastings United can be promoted, if not not I'll wait and see if they can if there's a data update with the patch.

If they gain promotion in anyones save any chance you could upload it please? If they do it'll be very rare as their reputation is so low.

Well done to dafuge and Allan for making this possible. icon14.gif

Will get my game up once I get my copy sometime next week.

Good luck to all.

(If anyone happens to have a team promoted with a low reputation which will be rare then I'm sure it would be appreciated if they could upload the save game)

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Meet, (at least until the patch comes out), the new manager of Chippenham.

Unfortunately, my position is a little precarious from the off due to my Chairman's status.

Some things never change.

How come you have knowledge of France, are you half french? Good luck by the way. My chairman is in the same mindset as yours.

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Retire your 'Holiday Man' manager, it's always a sad moment, a bit like when the farmer says 'that'll do pig, that'll do' at the end of Babe.

icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I thought, lol. icon_biggrin.gif

How come you have knowledge of France, are you half french? Good luck by the way. My chairman is in the same mindset as yours.

Do I have knowledge of France icon_confused.gif?

So I do....... icon_confused.gif

No idea.

Nationalities are N.Irish and Irish, (I have a choice of England, Ireland, Scotland, & N.Ireland).

Honestly have no idea.

Will be interested to see how people get on, especially if anyone takes over Buxton.

I'll be in the San Marino thread (assuming Ter ever starts it .. ), and if I complete/get bored of that one, I'll be back in Slovenia for Gundo's challenge.

Good luck all icon14.gif

Originally posted by Gundo:

That's super dafuge. icon14.gif

Any news when the website will be up and running?

Im working on the site / Testing and hopefully launching tonight (but dont hold me to that). I was gonna be on time if release was tomorrow, D'oh!

Anyway I still need testers, anyone willing to help right now send me an email at allan@dafugeschallenge.com

Thanks!

Originally posted by kccircle:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

Anyone seen Ashton Utd promoted yet?

I didn't on about 35 reloads. Only sub 1000 teams I saw were Hendon (once), Halesowen (twice) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn it! It's not looking good. icon_frown.gif

After 6 reloads and not a single team with rep below 1000 appearing, I decided to cut my losses and start with Bedford Town (rep 1,000). What can I say, I so so close to being a real man! icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Manager Profile

In fairness, they don't have any staff or players at the beginning so should still be a challenge.

Like it how the initial board expectations can vary from survive relegation to winning the league - how much do you back yourself 1st season?! icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Gilbster:

Allan, you should have mail.

Is the saving on the 18th June and then reloading and going forward a day the best way to get a new selection of teams? Ie, is it better and more reliable and holidaying over and over again?

I have no mail.

Its possible the DNS issues with the site are causing errors with dafugeschallenge.com email, try allanbrown [at] gmail.com

Thanks

Originally posted by kccircle:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Like it how the initial board expectations can vary from survive relegation to winning the league - how much do you back yourself 1st season?! icon_biggrin.gif

Especially when you get the message you've sold 30 season tickets! </div></BLOCKQUOTE> icon_biggrin.gif

Ican't wait to start but got to go on holiday icon_frown.gif

I'm still crawling my way towards the first league game.

I'm finding it VERY hard to fill the squad.

I started off with 9 youth players, (1 of whom was a Danish GK), but none of them are capable of playing first team.

The job centre helped me out in terms of numbers.

I started off with no staff and I now have the following.

Ass Man.

First Team Coach.

Player Coach. (AM/FC Tunisia).

Coach.

Player GK Coach. (GK).

Fitness Coach.

Player Youth Coach. (AMR Welsh).

Physio.

Scout 1.

Scout 2.

I've brought in 7 players on loan. How many are we allowed? I expected to only be able to sign 4 icon_confused.gif.

Archived