Why can we not modify current league structures?

I would guess it's because the existing league structures are more complicated than what can currently be created with the editor. If you wanted to be able to edit these you'd either have to extend the editor to allow it to create all these additional things, or find someway of allowing edited rules to coexist with hardcoded additional rules. I would hope that as the editor becomes more advanced, it would be possible to edit existing leagues, rather than having to recreate them from scratch.

How is modifying the league any different too starting from scratch and modifying it?

Not being able to do this makes no sense.

It's not any different; But the licensing probably requires SI to properly represent the leagues, and perhaps not allow altering of that official model.

A user can create his own 3rd party structure, but the official model has to remain proper.

At least, that's my guess.

You actually can edit one league whilst leaving the rest alone. So the rules for the nation will be the same for every league except the one you change. Here is how

1. Add nation rules -> add lower division and cups to existing structure -> england.

2. Save this as an xml file without touching it. All the leagues are present as hard coded, but saved in an xml form i can get at.

3. Open the xml file, find the premier league (or whichever league you want to edit) and change the part that says

<string id="use_game_rules" value="active_comp"/>

and change this to

<string id="use_game_rules" value="not_in_game"/>

This lets you edit this in the editor. (the best way to locate this is to do a search for the unique id of the competition you want to edit).

4. Save the xml file you have just manually edited, and then load this into the editor. You can now edit the Premier League without touching any other competition.

This allows you to edit whichever league you sat to 'not_in_game', but leave the hard coded version of every other league, cup, and national rules. Hope this helps.

I also wondered why it is not easier to edit the leagues, I want to add a 3 foreign players rule only in England, Spain and Italy. However recreating the league seems a long drawn out process for the sake of just changing the player rules.

Archived