The Afrovision Managerial Contest

The Afrovision Managerial Contest

CAF%20Logo.jpg

(Much of this is a repeat from the opening post of the first thread. Please read it all though, as some details have been added in)

From around the globe, 53 managers have come to Africa! Home to what is perhaps the most flamboyant football in the world, and what is essentially an underrated continent in footballing terms. However, the 53 impoverished nations that make up the continent can together boast a number of stars, which tells us that the quality is there. All that is needed is the public attention, and that is what the continent shall get as The Afrovision Managerial Contest lands upon the 30.2 million km2 of earth.

The South African multimedia company known as Broadcasters, African Television, Radio and Complete Entertainment Revolution (BATRACER) is the key company behind the new scheme that will bring fame to African football. After some success after a similar contest was trialled in the Americas, and of course following the huge international celebrity of the Eurovision Song Contest and the Eurovision Striking Contest, Africa is the next continent to be swept by the reality TV and interactive show craze. BATRACER will be broadcasting the Contest to all 53 African nations, and of course to the most interested of other nations (those currently being: the United States, Brazil, the United Kingdom, France, Spain, Germany, Russia, China and Japan), and will offer exclusive coverage of the finals.

Here’s how it works: 53 of you have been selected to be the managers of the African nations. Mayotte and Réunion, not being FIFA members, have opted not to take part in the contest. The nation you will manage has been randomly assigned to you, and you can find out whose yours is below. With all the managers set at their nations, I will simulate two months of game time and provide a report. I’ll then do this again until I have done six reports and covered a year of game time. This is where you’ll come in: as Africa is such a huge continent, two nations will get a bye to the final. These will be the holder/host and the highest ranked African team at the end of the 12 months. If these are the same, the bye will go to the next-highest ranked team. The other 51 nations will compete in Semi-Finals, 17 in each of the three semi-finals. From each of the three, five nations will qualify, joining with the two biggest nations to make a 17-strong final.

You will be expected to vote in the semi-finals and final, so it is essential that you are able to continue to follow the sign-up once you have signed up. If you are one of the two nations with a bye, I will get you to give your votes for a specific semi-final. The others will vote for their own semi-final. All 53 managers are expected to vote in the final. As per the Eurovision Song Contest, your votes will consist of a 12-pointer, a 10-pointer, an 8-pointer and votes from 7 down to 1 points. After the votes, the nations are ranked in order of the number of points they have earned; the top five go through from the semi-finals but only the top nation will matter in the final, as they will be crowned the seasonal champion and will host the next contest. If nations are tied, they will be sorted by the number of 12-pointers they have received, then the number of 10-pointers, etcetera, until the tie is broken.

You have each created your manager and attributes have been assigned to that manager depending on how you valued different components of the Eurovision system. You have also been assigned a nation using a random number generator. Here are the managers of the nations that will take part in the tournament:

[font=Courier New]  [b]Username           Manager            NAT Managing...[/b]
 [/font][font=Courier New]DodgeeD            David Dodgson      ENG Congo (Republic of)
 [/font][font=Courier New]Whoopy D           Whoopy Dee’e       CMR Djibouti
 [/font][font=Courier New]weeeman27bob       Weeman Fernandez   PER Namibia
 [/font][font=Courier New]bergtaur           Hryhorii Zahorchak UKR Chad
 [/font][font=Courier New]Cardiovascular     Cardio Hernandes   POR Sierra Leone
 [/font][font=Courier New]Pau[/font][font=Courier New]lHartman71      Jeremy English     ENG Sudan
 [/font][font=Courier New]pompey13           Pompey 13          ENG Malawi
 [/font][font=Courier New]joetheref          Joe Tompkins       ENG Lesotho
 [/font][font=Courier New]MattFergie         Matt Ferguson      SCO Somalia
 [/font][font=Courier New]dafuge             dafuge             ENG Mozambique
 [/font][font=Courier New]NeoAC              Ryan Andrews       RSA Swaziland
 [/font][font=Courier New]rancer890          Ricky Nakano       CAN Central African Republic
 [/font][font=Courier New]canvey!!           Didier Dardon      FRA Morocco
 [/font][font=Courier New]super_lampard      Super Lampard      ENG Seychelles
 [/font][font=Courier New]PluckaDuck         Tyler Burrows      AND Egypt
 [/font][font=Courier New]BenArsenal         Ben Cee            SIN Niger
 [/font][font=Courier New]coldkohmew         Mentho Latum       SIN Tunisia
 [/font][font=Courier New]Hamuel             Alfred Jarry       FRA Kenya
 [/font][font=Courier New]fergysafc          Liam Ferguson      ENG Cameroon
 [/font][font=Courier New]iacovone           Sir Ronald Vaughan ENG Benin
 [/font][font=Courier New]Loojay             Steve Axworth      FIN Ethiopia
 [/font][font=Courier New]SJ234              Jose Rodriguez     ESP Uganda
 [/font][font=Courier New]Ada[/font][font=Courier New]mw              Adam Wilkinson     ENG Guinea
 [/font][font=Courier New]hamilton162        Tom Hamilton       AUS Comoros
 [/font][font=Courier New]manchester[/font][font=Courier New]07       Ricky Gill         ITA Libya
 [/font][font=Courier New]Robert_296         Robert Boyle       ENG Algeria
 [/font][font=Courier New]Lower Leagues Rule Des Tiny           NZL Nigeria
 [/font][font=Courier New]Greasy Chip Butty  Chip Butty         ENG São Tomé and Principe
 [/font][font=Courier New]corinthiano        Joaquim Ntadi      MOZ Madagascar
 [/font][font=Courier New]jayatsena          Be Jayatsena       ITA Burundi
 [/font][font=Courier New]magvest            Magnus Vestergaard SWE Burkina Faso
 [/font][font=Courier New]jack.browne        Jack Browne        USA Rwanda
 [/font][font=Courier New]chopper99          Craig Hopper       KEN DR Congo
 [/font][font=Courier New]Almondo            Alex Almond        ENG Mauritius
 [/font][font=Courier New]Xx_WeeCoop_xX      Mark Cooper        SCO Guinea-Bissau
 [/font][font=Courier New]Dees-Blake[/font][font=Courier New]         Dees Blake         ENG Togo
 [/font][font=Courier New]Tomaldinho         Tomaldinho         POR Liberia
 [/font][font=Courier New]gavrenwick         Kleen Shavern      UKR Gambia
 [/font][font=Courier New]SCIAG              Quandiose Yancy    GAM Eritrea
 [/font][font=Courier New]Kenco              Ken Co             ENG Gabon
 [/font][font=Courier New]hasdgfas           Albert Holstein    USA Ivory Coast
 [/font][font=Courier New]Mikel LUFC         Juan King          ESP Angola
 [/font][font=Courier New]tomsmith1989       Tom Smith          POR Botswana
 [/font][font=Courier New]sparta[/font][font=Courier New]ns5          Lawrence Lazewski  POL Mauritania
 [/font][font=Courier New]stoehrst           Charlie Henry      USA Zimbabwe
 [/font][font=Courier New]el sid             The Green Beret    ENG Equatorial Guinea
 [/font][font=Courier New]Edinho             Edward St[/font][font=Courier New]ill       BOT Senegal
 [/font][font=Courier New]JSalter            Karl Unpingco      GUM Cape Verde
 [/font][font=Courier New]Elrithral          Alfredo Dick       ITA Ghana
 [/font][font=Courier New]Mk_Forest          Matt Lepino        ENG South Africa
 [/font][font=Courier New]himan              Christina Modoglou CYP Zambia
 [/font][font=Courier New]MikaelS            Mikael Schøler     DEN Mali
 [/font][font=Courier New]Northerm Lights    Thelonius Davis    SEN Tanzania[/font]

Each of these managers has been entered into the database and has travelled to their new nation to begin work. Pretty soon, BATRACER will send out its first broadcast updating 62 nations on the progress of the new competition. After six broadcasts, the competition starts properly, ramping up pace for live voting shows. Don’t forget, as a manager, you are expected to vote in the semi-final that you are involved in and the final, and if you receive a bye I will give you a semi-final to vote in. I have marked several of those who have signed up on a watchlist: if you are one of them and you miss a tournament’s worth of voting, you may be dropped without warning. If you miss one set of votes, your nation is deducted 12 points for that set of votes.

The spotlight now turns to South Africa, the host of the inaugural tournament. It will be up to their manager Matt Lepino to ensure that the host nation delivers a good performance themselves. So, without further ado…let the games begin!

Some Notes

• Each manager has started with a Current Ability of 130 and a Potential Ability of 160. They have a reputation of 7000 for each of the three reputation values.
  • During standard update time, I will post an update every other day. Then updates will cease for a bit during the voting period, and updates will be every day during the tournaments.

• Managers mentioned in any reports will be mentioned using their manager name. The table above is a good example of one you can use to cross-reference if necessary.
  • There will be times when I cannot make an update. I will tell you in advance and, if possible, will provide you with a few updates at once if I am going away for a week or two.
  • The leagues loaded are the first divisions of England, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Portugal and South Africa. These will be run on minimal detail while international friendlies, the World Cup, the African Cup of Nations and African qualifying for those two will be run on full detail.
  • If your manager gets sacked or leaves his job, you will retain your place in the sign-up. However, other forumers will be made aware that your manager is no longer in his/her job, so your performance in the following finals may suffer, but would improve thereafter. You are at risk of losing your place in the sign-up, however, if you fail to vote (see the stipulations above).

The image is courtesy of news.myjoyonline.com.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great to see this up and running at last :thup:

Not too sure about Sudan, it could have been so much better but could have been even worse (at least I hope so). After a quick wiki search I have discovered they've never qualified for the World Cup itself but did win the African Cup of Nations in 1970, as well as being runners up in '59 and '63. It seems like the late 50's/early 60's were a good time in Sudan's footballing history. They've only qualified for 3 ACON since that win (one being 2008) and in all three of those they've not won game in any of their 3 group matches. Looking at their latest squad IRL all the players played in the Sudanese domestic league so I'm pretty screwed :D

Botswana. Really not the best team in the hat, but I'll do them proud. After reading up about the national side in Botswana I have found out that they have never qualified for the World Cup finals or the African Nations Cup finals. Botswana are currently ranked 119th in the FIFA Rankings which ranks them similar to Zimbabwe and Libya.

This will certainly be interesting!! :thup:

Gabon, interesting.

Spelt backwards = Nobag. Kind of like a Dyson vacuum cleaner, which means my teams is going to suck.

Ha! :D . Made me chuckle :thup:

Benin for Sir Ron :cool:

I believe they had a decent run in the ACN this year...

Good to see this one has finally filled up!

Congo - is that the one Christopher Samba plays for? Or is that DR Congo? Either way, I don't think they'll be winning much in the way of tournaments so I'll have to hope for some friendly bloc-voting. ;)

Btw, regarding manager's leaving their jobs, what happens if, for example, my manger leaves Congo and takes over another African nation?

I would just like to wish good luck to my good friends who are in charge of Chad, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Libya, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya and Uganda respectively.

*cough* Block Voting *cough*

You share a lot of borders!

Btw, regarding manager's leaving their jobs, what happens if, for example, my manger leaves Congo and takes over another African nation?

I don't know - I think for now we'll work on the assumption that won't happen, and cross that bridge when we come to it.

I would just like to wish good luck to my good friends who are in charge of Chad, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Libya, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya and Uganda respectively.

*cough* Block Voting *cough*

In that case I should wish good luck to Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Cameroon, .........wait, is that all? Perhaps I should also count Sao Tome and Principe, they are just off the coast.

Archived