How do you motivate?

Against weaker teams, say nothing before the match, and say nothing at half time if you are winning. Say you are "angry" or "disappointed" or "i want to see more" or "pride is at stake" if you are losing or drawing.

NEVER say pleased at half time.

At the end of the match only say "pleased" to those who got more than 7.4 rating.

that's what I do anyway. Sometimes they still get complacent but I think it sorta works.

Against weaker teams, say nothing before the match, and say nothing at half time if you are winning. Say you are "angry" or "disappointed" or "i want to see more" or "pride is at stake" if you are losing or drawing.

At the end of the match only say "pleased" to those who got more than 7.4 rating.

that's what I do anyway. Sometimes they still get complacent but I think it sorta works.

Thanks. I will try. I was saying "For the fans" or "I expect a win" before match. I guess thats not the way to motivate. I'll follow your suggestions.

"Expect win" before match. "Expect performance" to every player who's looking over-confident and cocky according to my assman. It usually help.

What you should consider is, that when you're leading 2-0 in 2nd half and your making substitution, subbed in player will probably be complacent even if you tell him that you expect performance. There's nothing to do about that because players approach is linked to current match score. Best you can do is not to sub anybody (starting XI is most likely 'playing with confidence' because they have scored goals or otherwise performed well) before 70-75 minutes when you're pretty sure that opponent cannot score 2 goals back to you.

"Expect win" before match. "Expect performance" to every player who's looking over-confident and cocky according to my assman. It usually help.

What you should consider is, that when you're leading 2-0 in 2nd half and your making substitution, subbed in player will probably be complacent even if you tell him that you expect performance. There's nothing to do about that because players approach is linked to current match score. Best you can do is not to sub anybody (starting XI is most likely 'playing with confidence' because they have scored goals or otherwise performed well) before 70-75 minutes when you're pretty sure that opponent cannot score 2 goals back to you.

For me "Expect a win" and "except performance" didn't seem to work. When I use the pe-talk like that, my team concedes a goal in the first 15 mins. and after the goal they start having pressure from the opponent.

However I agree with your view about the sub. When I am leading against a weaker team sub player regardless of his age, or first team chance; he becomes complacent right away from entering the field.

If you get a good assistant manager i always leave the talking to him, another reason i cant be bothered to be frank as in the past no matter what i have tryed in match chats the team do the opposite.

So far since changing the setup to assistant i have no problems and im beating top teams in my league and the bottom ones as well.

It depends on their morale. If I'm on a winning streak, and morale is superb than I always use "I expect a win" regardless of the opposition.

If morale is poor I use something reassuring like "relax" for bad teams and "nothing to lose" for the good ones.

I use "for the fans" otherwise.

seems to work for me.

Half time is more complicated.

As they say: never ever ever ever ever ever ever say "pleased" at half time. (I'm sure we've all got horror stories about that.)

For me "Expect a win" and "except performance" didn't seem to work. When I use the pe-talk like that, my team concedes a goal in the first 15 mins. and after the goal they start having pressure from the opponent.

However I agree with your view about the sub. When I am leading against a weaker team sub player regardless of his age, or first team chance; he becomes complacent right away from entering the field.

Exactly. They don't work. BUT if you're on the winning streak, saying "expect a win" at least prevents any demotivation problems that might happen when you would say "you can win" or "wish luck".

I've never noticed any bad effect of "expect win" talk against weaker teams, at least not in my assman team talk feedback page.

By the way, It seems that HT team talk is now improved and pleased is not a big "no no" any more. I would even encourage saying "pleased" to players who deserve that (rating over 7.0 at HT). After 10.3 I've noticed a lot of "morale boost, inspired to better performance" etc. effects of "pleased" HT talk.

I think overall in 10.3 the effect of team talk has been reduced since so many people had complaints about its ridiculous power to change the game.

I'll carefully try saying pleased if it's changed then :)

All I remember about the last time I said pleased was a box full of face slaps and 4 goals against me.

I think overall in 10.3 the effect of team talk has been reduced since so many people had complaints about its ridiculous power to change the game.

I'll carefully try saying pleased if it's changed then :)

All I remember about the last time I said pleased was a box full of face slaps and 4 goals against me.

Seems to have changed in 10.3. I have said pleased and gone form 1-0 to 3-1.

Problem i have is if I'm playing a crap time i may be 2-0 down at half time so a rousing team talk and I'm lucky to get back to 2-2.

Versus Shef Utd (After having just beaten ManU) I made the mistake of saying i expect a win. was 0-2 at half time. Then went to 3-2 up. Ended 3-4. Luckily it was only a pen that got throuwn into the wall.

This has worked for me. Though I can only test it in 1 match, then I should leave for work. Played against Sunderland (17th or 18th), tied the game in first half. They were 17th or 18th too in the first half of the season when I faced them.

No "Pre-Game talk", was leading at first half. No talk either in the half time, and won the game 2-0.

Archived