+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: How do you motivate?

  1. #1
    Amateur
    Join Date
    6th November 2000
    Location
    Istanbul-Turkey
    Posts
    253

    Default How do you motivate?

    I think I can't motivate my My QPR against weaker teams. I am winning against teams like Liverpool, Arsenal, but can't get past against Huddersfield (18th), Sunderlan (17th). What do you guys do against weaker side teams?

  2. #2
    Amateur
    Join Date
    11th November 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    531

    Default Re: How do you motivate?

    Against weaker teams, say nothing before the match, and say nothing at half time if you are winning. Say you are "angry" or "disappointed" or "i want to see more" or "pride is at stake" if you are losing or drawing.
    NEVER say pleased at half time.
    At the end of the match only say "pleased" to those who got more than 7.4 rating.

    that's what I do anyway. Sometimes they still get complacent but I think it sorta works.

  3. #3
    Amateur
    Join Date
    6th November 2000
    Location
    Istanbul-Turkey
    Posts
    253

    Default Re: How do you motivate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chochip View Post
    Against weaker teams, say nothing before the match, and say nothing at half time if you are winning. Say you are "angry" or "disappointed" or "i want to see more" or "pride is at stake" if you are losing or drawing.
    NEVER say pleased at half time.
    At the end of the match only say "pleased" to those who got more than 7.4 rating.

    that's what I do anyway. Sometimes they still get complacent but I think it sorta works.
    Thanks. I will try. I was saying "For the fans" or "I expect a win" before match. I guess thats not the way to motivate. I'll follow your suggestions.

  4. #4
    Amateur
    Join Date
    27th March 2007
    Location
    clinging to a rubber duck in the middle of a raging sea....
    Posts
    668

    Default Re: How do you motivate?

    For my pre game talk I will tell them they have nothing to lose, they then go out and play the 1st Half without any pressure on them. Seems to work more often than not.

  5. #5
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    6th November 2006
    Posts
    1,059

    Default Re: How do you motivate?

    "Expect win" before match. "Expect performance" to every player who's looking over-confident and cocky according to my assman. It usually help.

    What you should consider is, that when you're leading 2-0 in 2nd half and your making substitution, subbed in player will probably be complacent even if you tell him that you expect performance. There's nothing to do about that because players approach is linked to current match score. Best you can do is not to sub anybody (starting XI is most likely 'playing with confidence' because they have scored goals or otherwise performed well) before 70-75 minutes when you're pretty sure that opponent cannot score 2 goals back to you.

  6. #6
    Amateur
    Join Date
    6th November 2000
    Location
    Istanbul-Turkey
    Posts
    253

    Default Re: How do you motivate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Draakon View Post
    "Expect win" before match. "Expect performance" to every player who's looking over-confident and cocky according to my assman. It usually help.

    What you should consider is, that when you're leading 2-0 in 2nd half and your making substitution, subbed in player will probably be complacent even if you tell him that you expect performance. There's nothing to do about that because players approach is linked to current match score. Best you can do is not to sub anybody (starting XI is most likely 'playing with confidence' because they have scored goals or otherwise performed well) before 70-75 minutes when you're pretty sure that opponent cannot score 2 goals back to you.
    For me "Expect a win" and "except performance" didn't seem to work. When I use the pe-talk like that, my team concedes a goal in the first 15 mins. and after the goal they start having pressure from the opponent.

    However I agree with your view about the sub. When I am leading against a weaker team sub player regardless of his age, or first team chance; he becomes complacent right away from entering the field.

  7. #7
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    23rd October 2009
    Posts
    1,603

    Default Re: How do you motivate?

    It depends on their morale. If I'm on a winning streak, and morale is superb than I always use "I expect a win" regardless of the opposition.

    If morale is poor I use something reassuring like "relax" for bad teams and "nothing to lose" for the good ones.

    I use "for the fans" otherwise.

    seems to work for me.

    Half time is more complicated.

    As they say: never ever ever ever ever ever ever say "pleased" at half time. (I'm sure we've all got horror stories about that.)

  8. #8
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    6th November 2006
    Posts
    1,059

    Default Re: How do you motivate?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
    For me "Expect a win" and "except performance" didn't seem to work. When I use the pe-talk like that, my team concedes a goal in the first 15 mins. and after the goal they start having pressure from the opponent.

    However I agree with your view about the sub. When I am leading against a weaker team sub player regardless of his age, or first team chance; he becomes complacent right away from entering the field.

    Exactly. They don't work. BUT if you're on the winning streak, saying "expect a win" at least prevents any demotivation problems that might happen when you would say "you can win" or "wish luck".
    I've never noticed any bad effect of "expect win" talk against weaker teams, at least not in my assman team talk feedback page.

    By the way, It seems that HT team talk is now improved and pleased is not a big "no no" any more. I would even encourage saying "pleased" to players who deserve that (rating over 7.0 at HT). After 10.3 I've noticed a lot of "morale boost, inspired to better performance" etc. effects of "pleased" HT talk.
    Last edited by Draakon; 10-03-2010 at 10:33.

  9. #9
    Amateur
    Join Date
    11th November 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    531

    Default Re: How do you motivate?

    I think overall in 10.3 the effect of team talk has been reduced since so many people had complaints about its ridiculous power to change the game.
    I'll carefully try saying pleased if it's changed then
    All I remember about the last time I said pleased was a box full of face slaps and 4 goals against me.

  10. #10
    Amateur
    Join Date
    4th March 2010
    Posts
    441

    Default Re: How do you motivate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chochip View Post
    I think overall in 10.3 the effect of team talk has been reduced since so many people had complaints about its ridiculous power to change the game.
    I'll carefully try saying pleased if it's changed then
    All I remember about the last time I said pleased was a box full of face slaps and 4 goals against me.
    Seems to have changed in 10.3. I have said pleased and gone form 1-0 to 3-1.
    Problem i have is if I'm playing a crap time i may be 2-0 down at half time so a rousing team talk and I'm lucky to get back to 2-2.

    Versus Shef Utd (After having just beaten ManU) I made the mistake of saying i expect a win. was 0-2 at half time. Then went to 3-2 up. Ended 3-4. Luckily it was only a pen that got throuwn into the wall.

  11. #11
    Amateur
    Join Date
    6th November 2000
    Location
    Istanbul-Turkey
    Posts
    253

    Default Re: How do you motivate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chochip View Post
    Against weaker teams, say nothing before the match, and say nothing at half time if you are winning. Say you are "angry" or "disappointed" or "i want to see more" or "pride is at stake" if you are losing or drawing.
    NEVER say pleased at half time.
    At the end of the match only say "pleased" to those who got more than 7.4 rating.

    that's what I do anyway. Sometimes they still get complacent but I think it sorta works.
    This has worked for me. Though I can only test it in 1 match, then I should leave for work. Played against Sunderland (17th or 18th), tied the game in first half. They were 17th or 18th too in the first half of the season when I faced them.

    No "Pre-Game talk", was leading at first half. No talk either in the half time, and won the game 2-0.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts