"Feels there is too much competition for a first team place."

3 seasons in I've been lacking some fire power so I move to bring in a new striker to lead the line. I already have 7 strikers in the squad, but Nathan Tyson is in the reserves and is negotiating several offers. Given the lack of a superstar last season I expect to rotate quite a bit and have several kids so I'm expecting form to be an issue. The new man comes in for £4.7m and instantly two kids complain that there is too much competition for a place in the side. I tell them both that they are in my plans - no response, they both have very poor morale and are unhappy. Tyson leaves 3 days later - no improvement. I loan out another of my youngsters - no improvement. 2 months into the season I have included both players in the first team a fair amount, both starts and sub appearances. Morale occasionally bounces up a little, but doesn't stay. One of the kids needs a new contract before the end of the season and the other deserves a raise (which might solve the problems), but of course neither of them will negotiate. Because they're unhappy they aren't playing well and I really can't afford to keep starting people who don't contribute.

How exactly is someone supposed to solve this little Catch-22? Surely IRL the manager (who must be fairly respected after 2 promotions and a solid midtable, and who signed both kids) would just have a word with the lads and say that of course they're in his plans and prove it with the regular action I've shown them?

Or just sell your crappiest striker...

Example:

In my Villa save, I signed an 34 year old Eto'o as cover for the main squad. States that he was going to retire at the end of the season. I still have Agbonlahor (sp), Young, and Delfouneso with both Agbonlahor (sp) and Young in their 30s. After digging through my Reserve squad, I find 3-4 good young regen strikers (not good enough to start, but promising). The season progressed and Delfouneso hasn't scored in 15 hours of football and Agbonlahor (sp) was ruled out for 4-5 months. I decide to purchase a new, 22 year old, Russian regen striker for $28.5 million from CSKA Moscow. Also picked up a young regen from Liverpool on a free transfer (only cost $3 million in compensation) in the January transfer window. The two strikers from my Reserve squad become unsettled, even though they are on the subs bench every game.

Anyway, to make a long story short...too late...

With Eto'o retiring the balance will be restored and more players will play. If everyone's still ****ed, the striker acquired from Liverpool is now worth $4.5 million and will be the first one out the door for a profit.

On a side note: The Russian striker has now hit 4 goals, 3 assists in 6 games. Delfouneso finally broke his goal drought with the winning goal against Manchester United and Agbonlahor (sp) is still out injured. One of the Reserve strikers hit a hat trick against Bolton in the remaining 15 minutes of the match in his first game.

Seems like 'I'm the Boss' is the answer. As I said in the OP I sold one striker and loaned out another immediately, but it had no effect. Due to a couple of big injuries both the kids are important players for me now, but both are still unhappy. It's just a bit annoying that because they started the season unhappy there now doesn't seem to be any way to get them back on side quickly. Hopefully it will pan out in the longer term.

Instead of the "im the boss" cmment, I actually include them in the starting lineup for 5-6 games in a row, and theyre happy again. Use the newly bought players as subbies first, then after some games, you can go back to normal. If theyre still unhappy, sell them as theyll most likely be complaining about everything anyway, which is not good for the morale.

I had the same problem. It never went away. I told him he was my first choice, I sold another defender, I played him every game and he was still unhappy. 6 months no change. Had to sell him in the end.

I only had 3 first choice defenders anyway. Selling him made me short in defence so I had to go straight out and get a replacement.

The annoying thing was he played defence, He started moaning when I bought a midfielder who could also play in defence (because of the green dots) but was never going to.

I say if they apply themselves well in training then they play. When I have a big squad, I generally take charge of the reserves too.

Means I can play the strikers that don't play on the weekend in the reserves, if they score a couple I'll take them off and rest them for weekend. Works well, but you'll always get one which isn't in form, hasn't scored goals and still isn't happy. Just get rid.

I had the same problem. It never went away. I told him he was my first choice, I sold another defender, I played him every game and he was still unhappy. 6 months no change. Had to sell him in the end.

I only had 3 first choice defenders anyway. Selling him made me short in defence so I had to go straight out and get a replacement.

The annoying thing was he played defence, He started moaning when I bought a midfielder who could also play in defence (because of the green dots) but was never going to.

I've had this in the past (just not with players I wanted to stick with) - doubly frustrating when IRL it would be a 10 second conversation.

Update: Early November. The kid who doesn't need a new contract immediately has played ok without scoring, but is attracting attention from Exeter, Torquay and Real Madrid (yep, seriously). The kid who does need a new contract has just scored 4 in 2 starts. I'm going to stick with him and pray he changes his mind soon.

Sure is a tricky one, I do tend it respond a little less often to these media comments, tend to go for a half way house media reply option, then just ignore it for a bit.

Though it does tend to back fire, say I play them they may play a blinder once, and talk them up, praise them, claim they'll be first team choices. Then that's their lot for whole season, that one game. So I ignore the best I can, it dies down, they'll find another player to have an issue with me some thing else to keep me on my toes, in the future.

The "I am boss!" is usually what I go for as well. You are after all the boss and one who is responsible for running the team. Not really up to the players to start dictating policy. If they are, then a crack of the good ol' whip will refresh their memory as to who is in charge ;)

1) the contracts you have with them is NOT hot prospect, youth or backup. Either way you should not have more than 4 strikers (3 main and one backup YOUNG striker). Strikers need games to find their form and they want to play. Its useless and waste of time and money to keep more than 3 first team strikers. Just ask Redknapp. Your 4th striker better be able to play another position like winger very well or be a very young like 18 or younger backup who is being tutored.

Btw if that striker got an offer from Real Madrid, have you been using 10.2? Because 10.2 is so garbage with transfers.

Archived