Comments when parting with players [so simple it should make it into FM09]

The interaction with transferred players is virtually nonexistent. When parting with players, I'd like to be able to explain my motives. My answers should have a certain PR effect on the transferred player and potentially also on his former/future team mates. E.g. if I sell a troublemaker, I would like to give him a parting salute – one which might affect his new team mates as well. Conversely, if my legendary captain decides to leave, I would like to hail his efforts, perhaps bringing doubt or a feeling of purpose to your remaining squad.

How to implement: This new feature MUST NOT lead a new flurry of mindless media interaction. To avoid this, the below options could be integrated on the final 'transfer acceptance' mail item, possibly in the form of a drop menu activated by the player by his own volition.

You are about to part ways with Joe Bloggs: Any final comments?

[o] Joe is undoubtedly one of the all-time greats. He can't be replaced.

[o] Joe has been a key player for us. I have to bring in a new star to fill his shoes.

[o] Joe has done well during his time with us. His departure means more first team football for our youngsters.

[o] Joe has been a loyal and dependable player. I wish him all the best.

[o] Joe has struggled to make an impact, which is why he is leaving us.

[o] Joe has been wanting out for some time. I'm sorry to see him go.

[o] Joe has been a source of unrest in the squad. I'm glad to see him leave.

[o] Joe's injury frequency has been a major concern.

[o] Joe's declining performance has made it an easy choice.

[o] The offer was too good to ignore.

[o] I wanted to hang on to Joe but the board had a different agenda. I disagree but respect their decision.

I have always thought that transfers were ever so unceremonious but this simple addition would vastly improve the experience.

Thoughts?

Would be a nice feature, and could impact closing media statements, (e.g. "player would one day like to return) favoured staff/club details for transfered players, and how other players react (e.g. stop them complaining when i sell what they deem a first team player).

There have been many times i've sold an important player and it just hasn't seemed significant enough. I can't see this being too hard a feature to implement (although realistically i wouldn't expect to see it until FM10) and it would only add more depth to the game. SI would have to be careful as i don't want to have to comment about every 16 year old i sack.

An excellent idea and one which i'm surprised doesn't already exist.

Although i would like to have another option (specifically for regens):

[o] Joe had to go because i didn't like his haircut, anybody with hair like that is clearly a moron!

I like the idea but I think that it could be on the sreen for EVERY transfer. Like Neyles said, it could just be a simple drop box which would then open up the possible statements. Great idea.

Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

i like it, aslong as it isnt for every tom dick and harry that i kick out of my reserves.

Yes, they'd have to have played in at least (say) 75% of your games to generate an option list. Otherwise we just end up with more banal clicks.

Of course it can be debated how this idea can be implemented. Personally I would love to have the option of commenting on all players. Here the keyword is OPTION. The system shouldn't twist my arm in any way but allow me to comment in a non-intrusive fashion, as described previously.

Anyway, I got a few more parting tirades that might be useful:

[o] Joe has potential but he lacks the proper attitude to succeed at this level.

[o] Joe was an expensive mistake. Live and learn.

[o] Joe's appalling disciplinary record has tarnished our club's reputation. Good riddance.

[o] Joe's incessant contract demands were downright outrageous in light of his recent mediocre performances. We needed to part ways.

[o] Joe has been maladjusted throughout his time here. His departure benefits all parties.

[o] Joe's departure is only temporary. I hope to bring him back at a later date.

[o] We needed to reduce our squad size. Joe was one of the casualties.

[o] Joe is probably the most complete player I have ever had the privilege to work with.

[0] Unfortunately, Joe Bloggs is a money grabbing bastard and would happily trade first team football at the top of club level in both league and europe for 15% more pay, Uefa cup and take up bench warming duties. To come on occasionally out of position. Quite frankly I think his an idiot. Which I guess makes it fortunate he doesnt play for us anymore.

I'd like that one!

The reverse-interaction could be useful, too, to judge whether the player would be a good idea to recall - something like this: http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BB4CEE8FA%2...70%7D&newsid=6610293

At the moment, there only seems to be words of relief - signed Adriano and the first thing he did was rage at Mancini for not playing him.

Originally posted by x42bn6:

At the moment, there only seems to be words of relief

And sometimes positive comments, too. To paraphrase the player may say something about having enjoyed his stay. It's not often seen, though.

But yeah, improving the reverse flow of praise/criticism would also bring additional depth to the game.

Yeah I think this would be good feature as I often feel that it is very impersonal at the moment. I mean there are numerous players I have purchased who's international careers had stagnated and who have only u21 caps or a very few caps and I then help them get back into the international scene before I end up selling them to big clubs. I would like them to thank me for what I have done to their career and for me to say a thankyou to them for there services to the club etc.

i cant believe you are selling Joe Bloggs

on my game he has grabbed 52 goals in 24 appearences and i even had to play him at right back for 8 games. he has 8.98 avg rating and got selected in all the prem dream team positions last season

There should be a comment for players that need new challenges or want to move to bigger club.

For example:

[o] Joe was an excellent player for us, but I understand that in bigger clubs he has better chances to further his career

[o] I wanted to keep Joe in [team name] but I understand that player needs to change clubs in order to bring his game to new level and match his ambitions

Guest arrogantio

A well thought out post, and highly useful feature.

Ultimately, justifying decisions to sell players is an important part of maintaining relationships with squad and fans

Being able to say nice things about a player increases the probability he'll look favourably on re-signing them in future, whilst insulting them is just very satisfying

The same should apply to players on loan, where possibly it is even more important - you might have real hope of tempting the player back or building relations with the club you loaned from

Trying to tempt the player back, or at least not dishearten him

[o]Joe has excelled during his loan spell and we would love to have him back

[o]Joe has shown signs of promise during his loan spell and we hope we can continue to aid his development in future

[o]Joe's performances have shown his capability for playing regularly at this level and we are looking to bring him in permanently

[o]Joe would get more opportunities with us if he were to return in the longer term

[o]I don't think we've seen the best of Joe yet and wouldn't rule out bringing him back in future

Saying nice things without any real hope of signing him in the near future

[o]Joe's time with the club proves he has the potential to be a real star

[o]Joe has shown the capability of performing at a much higher level and replacing him will be very difficult

Sucking up to parent club or other big club

[o]Joe's contribution to the side underlines the importance of our good relationship with Bandits

[o]Our contribution to Joe's development underlines the importance of our good relationship with Bandits

Bigging up the players you have left

[o]Joe did not get more opportunities because I have considerably more faith in the ability of my permanent squad members

[o]Joe made some important contributions for us but I have every confidence that my permanent squad members will step up to the mark.

And the critical ones

[o]Joe's performances have shown that he has a lot to learn

[o]Joe's performances have confirmed the wisdom of not signing him on a permanent basis

[o]Joe's behaviour whilst on loan with us has not been acceptable

icon14.gif That's a great idea!

I'd like to see another option in a similar circumstances to when Paul Ince left Man Utd. Fergie sold due to Ince's request to be called the 'Guvnor', to which Fergie told him 'There's only one Guvnor in my dressing room'. So something like:

[ Player Name ] was getting too big headed with his role in the dressing room, and I can't let a player think he is too far above the rest therefore I had to let him go.

Originally posted by pelicanstuff:

Also must be players that a decent amount was paid for or who have played a lot.

The beauty of it being an optional drop-down menu on the final confirmation news item would be that it is entirely up to you whether you select any at all. Sometimes you can bring in a player on a free transfer, he can mess up the squad morale, never play a game, and then leave. Even though neither a lot was paid for him, nor did he play many games, it would be great to have the option to add something, and it wouldn't increase the number of news items in the slightest, as (in the proposed form) it would be incorporated into the final confirmation newspiece which comes with all transfers (including ones done by the chairman above your head, I believe) already. icon_smile.gif

I like these ideas icon14.gif

Something similar that I have been hoping for for a few versions now, is further options when releasing players, either permanently or on loan.

If permanently;

-The players chances were limited here, felt it was fair he should be given the opportunity to get first team football.

-Our finances dictated that we had to get a transfer fee from him now rather than him leave for free at the end of the season/ in a year's time

More improtantly when releasing a player on loan:

-He needs to gain first team experience, to enable him to progress.

-The offer enables us to remove his wages from our budget.

-The deal may become permanent.

(Is this an option when selling a player, i.e.when you loan a player you can offer a future fee to purchase them during the loan period, but I don't remember seeing this type of deal when an AI manager asks to loan my players?)

I really feel these are necessary, and would add depth to the player reactions from these types of transfers. My worry at the moment is that you have to choose 'none' for comment, and the players morale is probably negatively affected as they aren't sure why you have transferred them.

'Feels the offer was too good', or 'need the money' aren't always appropriate, and if the game does affect the morale accroding to the response, then it needs improving. The modern game is full of players released to ensure the club receives a fee or for a youngster to gain experience by going on loan, that it needs to be implemented in the game.

We also need the other types of interaction highlighted in this thread too... icon_cool.gif

Archived