FM Travel

Every city in FM has an attraction rating of between 1 and 20, with cities such as London, New York, Paris and Barcelona being 20.

With such depth and research going into the game it seems that FM has uncovered some hidden Gems with an attraction rating of 20 for us for future travels.

How about

1) Tórshavn. Faroe Islands. Literally Thor’s harbour located 62° North with almost constant darkness in winter you can sample the northern light at leisure. I hope you like fish because they eat a lot here another local delicacy is deep fried puffin. With a mighty population of 12 000 there is always a party happening somewhere, thats why Tórshavn ranks alongside the worlds greats with an attraction rating of 20.

2) Tehran, Iran. Ranked number 1 in worst cities to live in the economist and among the most polluted cities in the world, but don’t let that put you off. Lying on a major earthquake zone always keeps you on your feet . Of course top athletes should not be drinking alcohol and lucky for you its banned! Now you can have you own part of the axis of evil. Its not hard to see why this is one of the most desirable places on earth to live.

Every city in FM has an attraction rating of between 1 and 20, with cities such as London, New York, Paris and Barcelona being 20.

With such depth and research going into the game it seems that FM has uncovered some hidden Gems with an attraction rating of 20 for us for future travels.

How about

1) Tórshavn. Faroe Islands. Literally Thor’s harbour located 62° North with almost constant darkness in winter you can sample the northern light at leisure. I hope you like fish because they eat a lot here another local delicacy is deep fried puffin. With a mighty population of 12 000 there is always a party happening somewhere, thats why Tórshavn ranks alongside the worlds greats with an attraction rating of 20.

2) Tehran, Iran. Ranked number 1 in worst cities to live in the economist and among the most polluted cities in the world, but don’t let that put you off. Lying on a major earthquake zone always keeps you on your feet . Of course top athletes should not be drinking alcohol and lucky for you its banned! Now you can have you own part of the axis of evil. Its not hard to see why this is one of the most desirable places on earth to live.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by masucha:

2) Tehran, Iran. Ranked number 1 in worst cities to live in the economist ...Now you can have you own part of the axis of evil. Its not hard to see why this is one of the most desirable places on earth to live. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe the SI researches don't buy into your Bushass-lickin' racism. Iranians are known for being very friendly and hospitable. I'd rather live in Teheran than New York, tbh. And I'd love to spend time in the Faeroes - in summer!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by phnompenhandy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by masucha:

2) Tehran, Iran. Ranked number 1 in worst cities to live in the economist ...Now you can have you own part of the axis of evil. Its not hard to see why this is one of the most desirable places on earth to live. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe the SI researches don't buy into your Bushass-lickin' racism. Iranians are known for being very friendly and hospitable. I'd rather live in Teheran than New York, tbh. And I'd love to spend time in the Faeroes - in summer! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be so ridiculous.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by phnompenhandy:

Maybe the SI researches don't buy into your Bushass-lickin' racism. Iranians are known for being very friendly and hospitable. I'd rather live in Teheran than New York, tbh. And I'd love to spend time in the Faeroes - in summer! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

could you be anymore ignorant?

The geo part of the game needs a serious look into, IMHO. It took me a day but I managed to update my country's city attractions and fill in all the coordinates, can't imagine why the official data contains so many mistakes/so little data, especially when it comes to city coordinates.

Well, I'd definitely rather live in New York than Tehran but that's for different reasons because New York is such an amazing place (I've never been but seriously would love to go).

But if Iran had a less brutal government but the US had the same irresponsible one as now, then I'd pick Tehran over any other American city.

How about

2) Tehran, Iran. Ranked number 1 in worst cities to live in the economist and among the most polluted cities in the world, but don’t let that put you off. Lying on a major earthquake zone always keeps you on your feet . Of course top athletes should not be drinking alcohol and lucky for you its banned! Now you can have you own part of the axis of evil. Its not hard to see why this is one of the most desirable places on earth to live. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif This made me laugh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Buttgammon:

Well, I'd definitely rather live in New York than Tehran but that's for different reasons because New York is such an amazing place (I've never been but seriously would love to go).

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I ever get around to traveling Europe I'm afraid I'm going to be horribly disappointed having grown up in the shadows of New York.

I travel the USA stopping in 'big cities' and just laugh "Thats it?"

haha. I hope the rest of the world is less disappointing - but if it is, then my advice is to raise your kids on a farm so they are always impressed to go to new cities!

New York = London with a worse attitude icon_smile.gif Believe me as a American you don't want to go to New York, but I love their passion for sport. If you are going to spend any time in a big city in the US parts of LA, Miami and Seattle. If you don't mind the accents Houston is very nice as well.

Actually this thread was supposed to be a critique of the attraction rating for cities.

Tórshavn should be about a 4 it's like a small town there is almost nothing there at all. Search for images of it, its just a bunch houses and a few shops. Maybe one of the researchers was from the Faroes,

Milan has an attraction rating of 19 you think that its a less attractive option than a cold wind swept island, with a tiny population?

Merala in Italy is also 20 with a population of less than 2000!

Scheveningen a suburb of The Hauge in Holland and has 20 but The Hauge has only 19!

Iranians are fantastic people and Iran's not a quater bad as it's potrayed.

We're told so much paff by politicians and the press that people don't even question it.

For example if you take thirty seconds to google you'll see women's websites and magazines for everything from gossip to fashion and hair hosted in Iran.

Just because the tabloids and some American guy who wants to invade the place tell you that women are beheaded for going out without veils doesn't mean it's true. Again, do an image search and you'll see Iranian women in western clothing with just a head scarf on covering their hair.

It's the same as several nearby nations though, the treatment and rules differ from one area to another, there are bound to be some places where if a mob get together they can get away with murder as long as it sounds like a passable take on religious law.

Tehran isn't Alexandria and Iran isn't Jordan, but it's not the third circle of hell either.

Spot on Spagbol - a mature response at last.

Swarfega and Nostromo - please correct me if I'm wrong, but you come across as kids with next to no experience of the world outside your Western-fed media.

I'm in my late 40s; I've lived most of my life in the UK and was married to a New Yorker. Look where I now live. In the Economist recently my city was listed as one of the 10 WORST in the world (on a par with Kabul). I read journo articles and blogs that suggest my town is run by lawless genocidal maniacs. Utter rubbish. I feel FAR safer and more relaxed here than in an English city - for me it is incomparably more pleasant.

Don't believe what you see in the media - don't pass judgment until you've experienced a country/city for yourself. I may be wrong, but my guess is that most of the cities in the database have been visited by SI's respective researchers and they are more knowledgeable than you.

Swarfega and Nostromo - please correct me if I'm wrong, but you come across as kids with next to no experience of the world outside your Western-fed media.

I'm in my late 40s; I've lived most of my life in the UK and was married to a New Yorker. Look where I now live. In the Economist recently my city was listed as one of the 10 WORST in the world (on a par with Kabul). I read journo articles and blogs that suggest my town is run by lawless genocidal maniacs. Utter rubbish. I feel FAR safer and more relaxed here than in an English city - for me it is incomparably more pleasant.

Don't believe what you see in the media - don't pass judgment until you've experienced a country/city for yourself. I may be wrong, but my guess is that most of the cities in the database have been visited by SI's respective researchers and they are more knowledgeable than you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The issue with that is that the rating isn't how good the city is in terms of living in reality, it's attractiveness, which is entirely subjective. Most professional footballers have been fed the same Westernised view of cities such as Phnom Penh and Tehran and, as such, they would see these cities as less attractive than Paris, London, or New York. A rating of 20 or anything near it would then be incorrect, even though Tehran may be (and most likely is) better than they would imagine it to be.

London has 20? lol. More British favouring BS from Si. Even you guys know its BS. Melbourne is much more attractive then London and won the most liveable city in the world 4 years in a row and I think we only have 18 for attractiveness, while London has 20.

1-20 is too obtuse a scale. 1-100 minimum.

also on the tehran thing:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Just because the tabloids and some American guy who wants to invade the place tell you that women are beheaded for going out without veils doesn't mean it's true. Again, do an image search and you'll see Iranian women in western clothing with just a head scarf on covering their hair. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

erm, a few images don't prove much except that it isnt 100% like 'this' or 100% like 'that', but I take your point. Generally women in Iran are not treated very well, but by no means does that imply all islamic nations or all Muslims are chauvinistic to that degree.

Like I said Tehran would be likable for Iranians compared to any other city so its 20 rating would be accurate on global scale of 1-100. right now the scale is pretty much local.

On the matter of Bush and Iran:

Who the **** is Bush to prevent Iran from enriching Uranium? He believes they will be a nuclear threat to the world? Yeah right. The U.S. U.S. is by far the greatest threat of any form or kind to the world at large. They are the only ones who have ever used WMDs at all!

IMO WMDs all over the world should be banned but there is a huge vested interest to be combated. Personally it is the greatest failiure of the human race.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> and those who support Bush are the ones who dont know where Iran or Iraq is on the map </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually they don't know where anything is on map!(Except the US of A! baby, yeah!)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by milanfan_apoorv:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> and those who support Bush are the ones who dont know where Iran or Iraq is on the map </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually they don't know where anything is on map!(Except the US of A! baby, yeah!) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and some dont even know where that is

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DS:

London has 20? lol. More British favouring BS from Si. Even you guys know its BS. Melbourne is much more attractive then London and won the most liveable city in the world 4 years in a row and I think we only have 18 for attractiveness, while London has 20. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt to a professional footballer it's more attractive. I assume the point of these ratings is to determine how attractive a city would be to a footballer, in some way influencing his decision on which club to sign for.

So that being the case London would quite rightly have a higher rating than Melbourne, as most footballers would much prefer playing in the English leagues than the Australian leagues.

As for some of the other ratings mentioned though, they do seem a little strange.

Don't be too harsh on the boy...Melbournians are deluded. I visited a while ago and they asked me what it was like to be in a world city. I almost choked on my (locally brewed crap) beer as I was raised in London and have been to Berlin, Paris, Los Angeles etc. Melbourne certainly is not on that level.

But back to the point of the post. It is kinda strange how some places are ranked...some third world cities ranked higher than places in Australia and America. Even higher than places in Europe and Asia that are literally 20 minutes outside of the big cities.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Plenty of experience on war-torn Sri Lanka. Wrong. Corrected icon_smile.gif

Don't believe what you see in the media - don't pass judgment until you've experienced a country/city for yourself. I may be wrong, but my guess is that most of the cities in the database have been visited by SI's respective researchers and they are more knowledgeable than you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

I'm quite surprised to see that cities from my parts (beograd, zagreb, ljubljana, split...) have attraction ratings between 19-20, lol. I realy don't know what could be attractive for pro player to live and earn money in this parts. I just know everybody from here wants to go play outside.

but I wouldn't like to go to the west no metter what, so I guess researcher've been here and had realy good times to give so good rates, probably they were eating and drinking all the time...

In a dream I was told that city ratings are in fact crucial to FREDs, as an eventual expression of their very potential, in addition to the player's desire to do well for himself. As the Victorian gentleman pointed out, people from the uncivilised world are a lazy lot and would never naturally possess the gumption or aspiration required to be a professional footballer. This has been corrected in-game by manipulating city attractiveness ratings in the upper range, thus generating players of quality, rather than the usual flotsam and jetsam.

Isn't the attraction rating of a city taken after the country's ranking?

IE: If asked to choose between two similar offers from two similar clubs the player is more likely to go with the Roy Keane WAG shopping rule and choose London over Sunderland?

That would explain why so many random places have scores of 20, because in comparison to some of the other cities in the db for that country, they're a country mile better.

Archived