Start of Season Expectations

Hi folks.

Quick question for the more experienced in the forum about how you handle start of season expectations when it comes time to decide this with the board.

I tend to look at my squad and, rightly or wrongly, over-estimate what I have and always tell the board we can go one or two levels higher than the board suggest we can (unless we're tipped for promotion in the first place).

The media prediction going into the year was dead last in the French 2nd league, but I said I thought we could challenge for a promotion based on what I had at my disposal. We're in 14th, and the board is "slightly disappointed in (my) performance, based on our dismal performance in the league". At the beginning (this is my first season in this new save, with my rep set as "unknown" or "sunday league footballer") the board said they wanted us to fight bravely against relegation, which I'd say i'm doing.

Has anyone taken the "under-promise, over-deliver" route when it comes to managing your expectations? And, is the board now holding my declaration of a promotion challenge against me in their analysis of my performance thus far? If I make it through this season (with Olympique Layonnaise) I think I'll go down the "under-promise, over-deliver" road with next year's expectations.

Thoughts?

-Ian.

I normally stick with what they say or go one higher depending on the wage differance so not to put to much pressure on the players. From what I've seen its better if the players have a low expectation because overachieving keeps moral high.

I always go 1 higher if the expectation is to battle bravely from relagation.

Ian, you made a school boy error here. If you ask the board for money for promotion then this is what you must deliver, not what to aim for! You consider what your squad is like, look at how much is on offer and then choose your expectation carefully, and remember it is just that, an expectation.

Like yourself, I learned this the hard way after telling my board, first season, on a sunday league rep, that I'd take Wolves to Europe, only to blow all the money and wind up 16th. Now that should still be considered a success, but it is far below where I told the board we'd be and I spent the last 6 months of the season days away from the sack. Next season I set the expectation at staying up, and promptly the pressure eased and allowed me to obtain mid table.

This is a key question, it's difficult to manage team morale where th eplayers know the manager is about to be sacked and you need to think carefully before looking at the £ signs. You should also bear in mind your balance doesn't change as a result of this and if you bankrupt your team one season chasing your dream, you'll be struggling with debt for ages to come.

Thanks, folks. I've actually been pretty prudent where finances are concerned, and the board is still letting me offer large sums for contracts, but I'm not even coming close to signing players for what they're allowing me to offer them. Usually I'm able to get someone for far less. Fortunately I'm just towards the end of November (although the media's calling for my head already), and I've got a good parent club in FC Lyon..so hopefully the second half of the season will be less rocky than the first half has been. Methinks this might make an interesting story thread..hmm.

I always take a look at my squad and look at what areas are in a need of improvement to achieve higher goals AND I check out which players are available and try to estimate how much they would cost. If the extra money isn't enough to strengthen my squad considerably, I will always go with the lowest option possible.

Archived