+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: [FM10] Fabio Crouchello - Taking England to South Africa 2010

First Team Squad Member

International Friendly - Gabon 0 - 2 Ivory Coast

Line-ups

Overview, Match Details & Player Ratings

We made up for the last friendly by winning this one with a fairly decent display.

Hopefully this will help to raise morale and get us back on form as we go straight back to the qualifiers next and have some key games coming up.
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 13-07-2010 at 14:24.

First Team Squad Member

Fabio Crouchello's Head is Turned!

The current world champions are sitting in a comfortable position in European qualifying and are expected to be in France in 2022 to defend their title.

They have some huge talents and this would present Fabio Crouchello with a great chance to fulfil his ambition to win a World Cup.

The question is, should he go or should he stay loyal to Les Éléphants?

Amateur

Go for it, I say. It will be nice to read the fight to hold onto the title.

Semi Pro
    Best FMCU Fountain of Youth Career 2011, Minecraft username: aparke1

I would go for it

International Squad

Take the job, employ Cristiano Ronaldo as a coach and then punch him in the face.

Part-Timer

stay with Ivory Coast! a bigger challenge

Amateur

Take it! Good chance to win the World Cup there.

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby_McDonald View Post
    Take the job, employ Cristiano Ronaldo as a coach and then punch him in the face.
    Definately do this

First Team Squad Member

Nobby's suggestion is clearly the best.

First Team Squad Member

Anyway, I made my decision, so here goes.......

Thanks to everyone who replied!

First Team Squad Member

Fabio Crouchello's England Record (2009 - 2017):

Code:
    P 	W 	D 	L 	F	A	Win % 		Competitions
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    95	64	20	11	217	67	67%		World Cup 2010 Runners-up
    								Euro 2012 Runners-up
    								World Cup 2014 Quarter-finalists
    								Euro 2016 Winners
    								Confederations Cup 2017 Group Stages

Fabio Crouchello's Uruguay Record (2018 - 2019):

Code:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    16	10	4	2	49	17	62.5%		Copa America 2019 Quarter-finalists

Fabio Crouchello's Brazil Record (September 2019 - November 2019 - two months!):

Code:
    3	2	1	0	4	0	66.6%		None

Fabio Crouchello's Ivory Coast Record (March 2020 - August 2021):

Code:
    12	9	0	3	26	6	75%		None

First Team Squad Member

World Champions 2018 - the Real 'Golden Generation'

Fabio Crouchello Lands in Portugal (August 2021)

Fabio Crouchello returns to Europe after a disappointing stint in Africa.

Portugal are the current holders of the World Cup and the aim is pretty clear. Make sure we qualify for WC France 2022 and go all out to retain the trophy. No pressure then.

Despite winning the World Cup in 2018, Portugal failed miserably at Euro 2020, finishing in last place at the group stages. It's fairly inexplicable to be honest, seeing as they beat Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay and France on the way to their World Cup win in 2018 (it was hardly a fluke therefore!) They clearly have some great talents and so it will be up to me to get the best out of them and get them firing on all cylinders once again.

Part-Timer

Good luck with Portugal

First Team Squad Member

This is our World Cup Qualifying group:

Code:
    | Pos   | Inf   | Team       |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
    | ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
    | 1st   |       | Portugal   |       | 6     | 6     | 0     | 0     | 16    | 4     | +12   | 18    | 
    | ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
    | 2nd   |       | Slovenia   |       | 6     | 4     | 1     | 1     | 13    | 4     | +9    | 13    | 
    | 3rd   |       | Cyprus     |       | 6     | 3     | 1     | 2     | 6     | 7     | -1    | 10    | 
    | 4th   |       | Greece     |       | 6     | 2     | 0     | 4     | 8     | 8     | 0     | 6     | 
    | 5th   |       | Finland    |       | 6     | 1     | 2     | 3     | 8     | 8     | 0     | 5     | 
    | 6th   |       | Luxembourg |       | 6     | 0     | 0     | 6     | 0     | 20    | -20   | 0     | 
    We find ourselves in a very comfortable position. All that remains is for me to come in, play a few games and take all of the glory!

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by dburns647 View Post
    Good luck with Portugal
    Thanks dburns647!

First Team Squad Member

I've found the main problem with Portugal already. We lack quality at the back in a big way. We've got some of the best attacking players in the world but we really are short of quality in defence. That's going to be a big challenge at the outset.

Now for a few screenshots.

This is the man I have convinced to be my assistant:

João Pinto, who spent his entire career with F.C. Porto and is regarded as one of the greatest Portuguese right-backs of all-time.

Pinto totalled 70 caps with one goal for Portugal, being selected as national captain on 42 occasions. After seeing the nation's 1994 World Cup qualification hopes squashed after a loss to Italy, he left the field in tears, further enhancing his nickname, Capitão. He played in UEFA Euro 1984 and at the 1986 FIFA World Cup. Bobby Robson, who coached Porto, once remarked of him: 'He has two hearts and four legs. It's extremely difficult to find a player like him.'

First Team Squad Member

The following three players are the star players from the information screen:

First Team Squad Member

I'll be kicking off my time in charge of Portugal with two qualifiers, both at home, the first against Slovenia followed quickly by a second game against Cyprus.

Amateur

Pedro Lewis is looking class!

Part-Timer

You should qualify from that group easy enough. Did you find that some managers get sacked during the tournament as in my game after Mexico's first game in the World Cup they sacked their manager?

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/y...renBurns-5.png

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/y...rldCup2010.png

First Team Squad Member

Dburns647 - it did happen once but I think that was to a Brazilian manager and we all know that Brazil are crazy on this version!

Thanks for the comment Killakerr.

First Team Squad Member

Here are a couple of other important players for us:

These two, along with Sergio Mattos and Pedro Luis, are the real stars of the team.
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 15-07-2010 at 13:32.

First Team Squad Member

World Cup Qualifiers (EUR) Group 5 - Portugal 3 - 0 Slovenia

Line-ups

I decided on a 4-4-1-1 as our strongest shape, allowing me to deploy Matos and Marques in the centre, Pereira wide left and Luis playing off the striker.

This was a nice straight forward win. We could now qualify for the World Cup 2022 with a win in our next qualifying match against Cyprus.

First Team Squad Member

World Cup Qualifiers (EUR) Group 5 - Portugal 3 - 0 Cyprus

Line-ups

This was a comfortable win and confirmed our qualification for WC France 2022 with two games to spare!

First Team Squad Member

Last time I read this you were Uruguay manager. Good luck in the World Cup.

First Team Squad Member

I know, I haven't settled anywhere very well AB. Going to try to settle with Portugal for a while now and hopefully get in two or three tournaments.

The only job that would immediately turn my head at the moment would be the England job if it became available again.

I would still like to go back to Africa and South America because my lack of success there has left me feeling rather frustrated! Ultimately, I'd like to manage on every continent.

First of all, though, it's time to settle with Portugal and to try to win a second World Cup for them!

First Team Squad Member

World Cup Qualifiers (EUR) Group 5 - Portugal 2 - 0 Finland

Line-ups

The remaining games were a mere formality. We breezed through this one.

In our last qualification game, we face Luxembourg away.

First Team Squad Member

World Cup Qualifiers (EUR) Group 5 - Luxembourg 0 - 4 Portugal

Line-ups

I decided to field my side in an experimental 4-3-1-2 formation with Matos as the trequartista playing behind two young strikers from whom I expect great things in the future.

This was another very easy game for us as we dominated and probably should have scored more.

First Team Squad Member

World Cup Qualifiers (EUR) Group 5 Final Standings

Code:
    | Pos   | Inf   | Team       |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
    | 1st   | Q     | Portugal   |       | 10    | 10    | 0     | 0     | 28    | 4     | +24   | 30    | 
    | 2nd   |       | Slovenia   |       | 10    | 5     | 2     | 3     | 18    | 11    | +7    | 17    | 
    | 3rd   |       | Finland    |       | 10    | 4     | 2     | 4     | 17    | 12    | +5    | 14    | 
    | 4th   |       | Cyprus     |       | 10    | 4     | 2     | 4     | 9     | 14    | -5    | 14    | 
    | 5th   |       | Greece     |       | 10    | 3     | 2     | 5     | 15    | 13    | +2    | 11    | 
    | 6th   |       | Luxembourg |       | 10    | 0     | 0     | 10    | 1     | 34    | -33   | 0     | 
    I kept the 100% record as we qualified with considerable ease.

Amateur

Crouchy,

Can we get a quick lowdown on the other European groups? Curious to see how jolly ole' England is doing.

First Team Squad Member

JayR2003 - England finished top of their group.

The groups finished like this:

Code:
    | 1st   | Q     | England    |       | 10    | 7     | 3     | 0     | 19    | 5     | +14   | 24    | 
    | 2nd   | Pl    | Turkey     |       | 10    | 6     | 1     | 3     | 17    | 11    | +6    | 19    | 
    | 3rd   |       | Austria    |       | 10    | 5     | 3     | 2     | 18    | 10    | +8    | 18    | 
    | 4th   |       | Israel     |       | 10    | 4     | 3     | 3     | 22    | 16    | +6    | 15    | 
    | 5th   |       | Azerbaijan |       | 10    | 2     | 2     | 6     | 11    | 19    | -8    | 8     | 
    | 6th   |       | San Marino |       | 10    | 0     | 0     | 10    | 4     | 30    | -26   | 0     | 
    |       |       |            |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

| Pos   | Inf   | Team           |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
    | -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
    | 1st   | Q     | Czech Republic |       | 10    | 8     | 1     | 1     | 24    | 7     | +17   | 25    | 
    | -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
    | 2nd   | Pl    | Italy          |       | 10    | 7     | 2     | 1     | 17    | 6     | +11   | 23    | 
    | 3rd   |       | Slovakia       |       | 10    | 4     | 2     | 4     | 12    | 14    | -2    | 14    | 
    | 4th   |       | Latvia         |       | 10    | 2     | 5     | 3     | 11    | 14    | -3    | 11    | 
    | 5th   |       | Georgia        |       | 10    | 3     | 2     | 5     | 12    | 17    | -5    | 11    | 
    | 6th   |       | Liechtenstein  |       | 10    | 0     | 0     | 10    | 6     | 24    | -18   | 0     | 
    |       |       |                |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

| Pos   | Inf   | Team    |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
    | ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
    | 1st   | Q     | Holland |       | 10    | 7     | 2     | 1     | 19    | 6     | +13   | 23    | 
    | ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
    | 2nd   | Pl    | Sweden  |       | 10    | 7     | 2     | 1     | 18    | 12    | +6    | 23    | 
    | 3rd   |       | Wales   |       | 10    | 3     | 3     | 4     | 13    | 12    | +1    | 12    | 
    | 4th   |       | Estonia |       | 10    | 3     | 3     | 4     | 13    | 15    | -2    | 12    | 
    | 5th   |       | Norway  |       | 10    | 2     | 4     | 4     | 10    | 11    | -1    | 10    | 
    | 6th   |       | Malta   |       | 10    | 0     | 2     | 8     | 4     | 21    | -17   | 2     | 
    |       |       |         |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

| 1st   | Q     | Russia     |       | 10    | 8     | 1     | 1     | 26    | 9     | +17   | 25    | 
    | 2nd   | Pl    | Hungary    |       | 10    | 7     | 1     | 2     | 20    | 12    | +8    | 22    | 
    | 3rd   |       | Denmark    |       | 10    | 4     | 3     | 3     | 12    | 14    | -2    | 15    | 
    | 4th   |       | Bulgaria   |       | 10    | 3     | 2     | 5     | 18    | 20    | -2    | 11    | 
    | 5th   |       | Armenia    |       | 10    | 1     | 3     | 6     | 13    | 24    | -11   | 6     | 
    | 6th   |       | Montenegro |       | 10    | 1     | 2     | 7     | 10    | 20    | -10   | 5     | 
    |       |       |            |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

| 1st   | Q     | Portugal   |       | 10    | 10    | 0     | 0     | 28    | 4     | +24   | 30    | 
    | 2nd   |       | Slovenia   |       | 10    | 5     | 2     | 3     | 18    | 11    | +7    | 17    | 
    | 3rd   |       | Finland    |       | 10    | 4     | 2     | 4     | 17    | 12    | +5    | 14    | 
    | 4th   |       | Cyprus     |       | 10    | 4     | 2     | 4     | 9     | 14    | -5    | 14    | 
    | 5th   |       | Greece     |       | 10    | 3     | 2     | 5     | 15    | 13    | +2    | 11    | 
    | 6th   |       | Luxembourg |       | 10    | 0     | 0     | 10    | 1     | 34    | -33   | 0     | 

| Pos   | Inf   | Team           |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
    | 1st   | Q     | Germany        |       | 10    | 6     | 4     | 0     | 19    | 10    | +9    | 22    | 
    | 2nd   | Pl    | Bosnia & Herz. |       | 10    | 6     | 1     | 3     | 20    | 10    | +10   | 19    | 
    | 3rd   |       | Switzerland    |       | 10    | 4     | 2     | 4     | 20    | 15    | +5    | 14    | 
    | 4th   |       | Romania        |       | 10    | 3     | 3     | 4     | 19    | 18    | +1    | 12    | 
    | 5th   |       | Moldova        |       | 10    | 3     | 3     | 4     | 16    | 19    | -3    | 12    | 
    | 6th   |       | Faroe Islands  |       | 10    | 1     | 1     | 8     | 6     | 28    | -22   | 4     | 
    |       |       |                |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

| Pos   | Inf   | Team    |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
    | 1st   | Q     | Croatia |       | 10    | 6     | 3     | 1     | 23    | 9     | +14   | 21    | 
    | 2nd   | Pl    | Ukraine |       | 10    | 7     | 0     | 3     | 18    | 9     | +9    | 21    | 
    | 3rd   |       | Poland  |       | 10    | 6     | 2     | 2     | 20    | 10    | +10   | 20    | 
    | 4th   |       | Belarus |       | 10    | 5     | 1     | 4     | 19    | 11    | +8    | 16    | 
    | 5th   |       | Albania |       | 10    | 2     | 2     | 6     | 13    | 23    | -10   | 8     | 
    | 6th   |       | Andorra |       | 10    | 0     | 0     | 10    | 2     | 33    | -31   | 0     | 
    |       |       |         |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

| 1st   | Q     | Spain      |       | 8     | 8     | 0     | 0     | 20    | 1     | +19   | 24    | 
    | 2nd   | Pl    | Serbia     |       | 8     | 4     | 1     | 3     | 14    | 11    | +3    | 13    | 
    | 3rd   |       | Ireland    |       | 8     | 4     | 0     | 4     | 13    | 14    | -1    | 12    | 
    | 4th   |       | Lithuania  |       | 8     | 3     | 1     | 4     | 10    | 15    | -5    | 10    | 
    | 5th   |       | Kazakhstan |       | 8     | 0     | 0     | 8     | 4     | 20    | -16   | 0     | 

| Pos   | Inf   | Team          |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
    | ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
    | 1st   | Q     | Belgium       |       | 8     | 5     | 3     | 0     | 16    | 4     | +12   | 18    | 
    | ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
    | 2nd   | Pl    | Scotland      |       | 8     | 5     | 2     | 1     | 9     | 4     | +5    | 17    | 
    | 3rd   |       | Iceland       |       | 8     | 1     | 4     | 3     | 7     | 11    | -4    | 7     | 
    | 4th   |       | N.Ireland     |       | 8     | 1     | 3     | 4     | 5     | 14    | -9    | 6     | 
    | 5th   |       | FYR Macedonia |       | 8     | 1     | 2     | 5     | 8     | 12    | -4    | 5     | 
    |       |       |               |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by crouchaldinho View Post
    World Cup Qualifiers (EUR) Group 5 Final Standings

Code:
    | Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts | 
    | 1st | Q | Portugal | | 10 | 10 | 0 | 0 | 28 | 4 | +24 | 30 | 
    | 2nd | | Slovenia | | 10 | 5 | 2 | 3 | 18 | 11 | +7 | 17 | 
    | 3rd | | Finland | | 10 | 4 | 2 | 4 | 17 | 12 | +5 | 14 | 
    | 4th | | Cyprus | | 10 | 4 | 2 | 4 | 9 | 14 | -5 | 14 | 
    | 5th | | Greece | | 10 | 3 | 2 | 5 | 15 | 13 | +2 | 11 | 
    | 6th | | Luxembourg | | 10 | 0 | 0 | 10 | 1 | 34 | -33 | 0 | 
    I kept the 100% record as we qualified with considerable ease.
    well done qualifying with 100% record, keep the record up and you'll be World Champion

International Squad

Where is Ronaldo with his bloody nose?

First Team Squad Member

Ronaldo still playing but not getting anywhere near my team.

First Team Squad Member

International Friendly - Ireland 0 - 2 Portugal

Line-ups

A chance to experiment during these friendlies and, at the moment, I'm testing a 4-3-1-2 and moving away from my favourite 4-2-3-1 as we lack quality in the wide positions.

This game provided a straight-forward win in Dublin.

First Team Squad Member

Cristiano Ronaldo is now 37 by the way. Made 144 apps and scored 63 goals for his country before I came along. He is now playing for Livorno in Serie A.

First Team Squad Member

Oh and turns out he has retired from International football anyway.

First Team Squad Member

International Friendly - Holland 3 - 1 Portugal

Line-ups

The last friendly of 2021 sees us outplayed and well beaten by the Dutch.

First Team Squad Member

International Friendly - Portugal 4 - 0 Finland

Line-ups

The first international game of 2022 brings a comfortable win against Finland.

First Team Squad Member

Draw for World Cuo France 2022:

Code:
    | Pos   | Inf   | Team     |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
    | -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
    | 1st   |       | Scotland |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
    | 2nd   |       | Uruguay  |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 3rd   |       | Portugal |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 4th   |       | Mali     |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    |       |       |          |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

| Pos   | Inf   | Team         |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
    | -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
    | 1st   |       | Hungary      |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
    | 2nd   |       | Saudi Arabia |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 3rd   |       | Spain        |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 4th   |       | Cameroon     |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    |       |       |              |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

| Pos   | Inf   | Team         |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
    | 1st   |       | Holland      |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 2nd   |       | El Salvador  |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 3rd   |       | South Africa |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 4th   |       | England      |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    |       |       |              |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

| Pos   | Inf   | Team     |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
    | 1st   |       | Colombia |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 2nd   |       | Oman     |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 3rd   |       | Russia   |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 4th   |       | Belgium  |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    |       |       |          |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

| 1st   |       | Peru    |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 2nd   |       | France  |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 3rd   |       | Germany |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 4th   |       | Mexico  |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 

| 1st   |       | Czech Republic |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 2nd   |       | Nigeria        |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 3rd   |       | Brazil         |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 4th   |       | Australia      |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 

| Pos   | Inf   | Team  |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
    | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
    | 1st   |       | Italy |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
    | 2nd   |       | Turkey|       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 3rd   |       | Iran  |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 4th   |       | Ghana |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

| Pos   | Inf   | Team      |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
    | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
    | 1st   |       | Japan     |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
    | 2nd   |       | U.S.A.    |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 3rd   |       | Croatia   |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 4th   |       | Argentina |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    |       |       |           |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 
    We find ourselves in Group A with Mali, Scotland and Uruguay.

First Team Squad Member

The final World Cup warm-up match sees Fabio Crouchello heading back to Wembley for the first time in five years as his Portugal side take on England away from home.

First Team Squad Member

International Friendly - Pearce's England 0 - 1 Don Fabio's Portugal

Line-ups

I'm not going to lie to you and say that I wasn't absolutely delighted to have beaten my successor's England side in this friendly at Wembley. In truth, I celebrated this goal as if it was a competitive match!

I was really pleased to have got one over on Pearce, and particularly the FA, who wrongfully sacked me back in 2017!
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 26-07-2010 at 21:10.

First Team Squad Member

My Portugal Squad for World Cup France 2022:

First Team Squad Member

I'll be building the team around some of the players in the screenshots above (see posts 517 and 522).

Plan A is the 4-3-1-2, while plan B is my old favourite 4-2-3-1.

First Team Squad Member

Going into the tournament, I have some doubts about my squad.

We're not very strong in defence and I'm not entirely happy with my options up front, either. However, we have simply one of the very best set of midfielders in the competition.

Regardless of what happens in the tournament, I've made up my mind that I will leave Portugal after the World Cup for pastures new.

Semi Pro

International Friendly - Pearce's England 0 - 1 Don Fabio's Portugal

Line-ups

I'm not going to lie to you and say that I wasn't absolutely delighted to have beaten my successor's England side in this friendly at Wembley. In truth, I celebrated this goal as if it was a competitive match!

I was really pleased to have got one over on Pearce and the FA, who wrongfully sacked me back in 2017!

Well Done always nice getting one over on your former team especially when they wrongfully sacked you

Good Luck in the 2022 World Cup

Good luck in the WC

First Team Squad Member

World Cup 2022, Group A - Portugal 0 - 0 Mali

Line-ups

A disappointing first match for us as we fail to find any goals against Mali.

They are basically the weakest team in our group and we really ought to have got three points on the board here. Very disappointing.
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 27-07-2010 at 17:02.

First Team Squad Member

World Cup 2022, Group A - Scotland 2 - 2 Portugal

Line-ups

At one point, this looked like it might even end up being a loss. That's a measure of how badly we played here, or rather, how well Scotland played.

Scotland's forward, Tony Robertson ran rings around our defence today and that really worried me moving forward. Okay, we ended up getting back into the game, but we had to come from behind twice. Our defence just doesn't look good enough and that's something that we will have to look at in the next game.

Due to other results going our way, we go into our last game against Uruguay knowing that we could still top the group. We will most likely need to be Uruguay, however, so the pressure is on to make sure that we get through to the second round.

Things aren't quite going to plan just yet.

First Team Squad Member

World Cup 2022, Group A - Portugal 1 - 0 Uruguay

Line-ups

I decided to make two big changes for this game, bringing in Paulo Ferraz in place of Luis Rodriguez at the back, and also taking the decision to replace Nelson Oliveira with target-man Carlos Correia. I decided that we looked weak at the back and wasteful in front of goal in the last couple of matches, and I hoped that these changes would help.

This absolutely vital game for us was settled by a bizarre own goal. We didn't play particularly well and had to defend late on in the game to make sure we went through. In the end, Scotland won their game quite comfortably against Mali to top the group, while we finished second and actually knocked Uruguay out.

The signs are not looking good for us in this competition. We have drawn Spain in the next round, which is either an opportunity to turn things around, or a ticket back to Portugal after a very disappointing World Cup. I hope that it will be the former rather than the latter.

First Team Squad Member

World Cup 2022 Final Group Standings:

Code:
    | 1st   | Q     | Scotland |       | 3     | 1     | 2     | 0     | 5     | 2     | +3    | 5     | 
    | 2nd   | Q     | Portugal |       | 3     | 1     | 2     | 0     | 3     | 2     | +1    | 5     | 
    | 3rd   |       | Uruguay  |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 2     | 2     | 0     | 4     | 
    | 4th   |       | Mali     |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 1     | 5     | -4    | 1     | 

| 1st   | Q     | Spain        |       | 3     | 3     | 0     | 0     | 12    | 0     | +12   | 9     | 
    | 2nd   | Q     | Cameroon     |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 2     | 5     | -3    | 4     | 
    | 3rd   |       | Hungary      |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 3     | 6     | -3    | 3     | 
    | 4th   |       | Saudi Arabia |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 2     | 8     | -6    | 1     | 

| 1st   | Q     | Holland      |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 4     | 1     | +3    | 7     | 
    | 2nd   | Q     | England      |       | 3     | 1     | 2     | 0     | 6     | 4     | +2    | 5     | 
    | 3rd   |       | South Africa |       | 3     | 0     | 2     | 1     | 2     | 4     | -2    | 2     | 
    | 4th   |       | El Salvador  |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 1     | 4     | -3    | 1     | 

| 1st   | Q     | Russia   |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 7     | 2     | +5    | 7     | 
    | 2nd   | Q     | Belgium  |       | 3     | 1     | 2     | 0     | 3     | 1     | +2    | 5     | 
    | 3rd   |       | Colombia |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 6     | 5     | +1    | 4     | 
    | 4th   |       | Oman     |       | 3     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 1     | 9     | -8    | 0     | 

| 1st   | Q     | France  |       | 3     | 3     | 0     | 0     | 9     | 2     | +7    | 9     | 
    | 2nd   | Q     | Mexico  |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 4     | 5     | -1    | 4     | 
    | 3rd   |       | Germany |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 3     | 7     | -4    | 3     | 
    | 4th   |       | Peru    |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 1     | 3     | -2    | 1     | 

| 1st   | Q     | Czech Republic |       | 3     | 1     | 2     | 0     | 4     | 3     | +1    | 5     | 
    | 2nd   | Q     | Brazil         |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 2     | 2     | 0     | 4     | 
    | 3rd   |       | Australia      |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 2     | 2     | 0     | 4     | 
    | 4th   |       | Nigeria        |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 2     | 3     | -1    | 3     | 

| Pos   | Inf   | Team  |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
    | 1st   | Q     | Italy |       | 3     | 3     | 0     | 0     | 6     | 0     | +6    | 9     | 
    | 2nd   | Q     | Ghana |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 2     | 2     | 0     | 4     | 
    | 3rd   |       | Turkey|       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 3     | 4     | -1    | 3     | 
    | 4th   |       | Iran  |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 1     | 6     | -5    | 1     | 
    |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

| Pos   | Inf   | Team      |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
    | 1st   | Q     | Argentina |       | 3     | 3     | 0     | 0     | 8     | 2     | +6    | 9     | 
    | 2nd   | Q     | Croatia   |       | 3     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 6     | 5     | +1    | 6     | 
    | 3rd   |       | U.S.A.    |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 5     | 8     | -3    | 3     | 
    | 4th   |       | Japan     |       | 3     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 1     | 5     | -4    | 0     | 
    |       |       |           |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

First Team Squad Member

Germany are probably the biggest casualty at this early stage.

First Team Squad Member

We will play Spain in the next round of the World Cup 2022.

It's worth noting that I have an amazing record against Spain, having knocked them out of three major competitions with England (World Cup 2010 Semi-final, Euro 2012 Quarter-final and World Cup 2014 2nd Round).

First Team Squad Member

World Cup 2022, Second Round - Portugal 1 - 1 Spain (Spain win 3-4 on penalties)

Line-ups

We got off to a fantastic start and were 1-0 up for most of this game, only for Spain to find an equaliser in the last five minutes of the match. To add insult to injury they then went on to beat us in the dreaded penalty shoot-out to send us home after just the second round.

This was Spain's great revenge on Fabio Crouchello. We were much the better side in the first-half but as the game went on and we lost our best striker to injury, followed by a few other knocks, we got weaker and weaker until Spain unleashed the sucker punch just five minutes from full time.

As for the penalty shoot-out, there isn't much to tell, we just didn't handle the pressure and we went crashing out of the competition much earlier than I had hoped.
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 28-07-2010 at 09:45.

First Team Squad Member

These were the immediate thoughts of Fabio Crouchello after the match:

First Team Squad Member

World Cup France 2022 Second Round Results:

First Team Squad Member

World Cup France 2022 Quarter-final Results:

First Team Squad Member

World Cup France 2022 Semi-final Results:

First Team Squad Member

World Cup France 2022 Third Place Play-off Result:

First Team Squad Member

World Cup France 2022 Final Result:

First Team Squad Member

As I said before the tournament, I am now resigning from the Portugal managerial position in search of a new challenge.

First Team Squad Member

It's worth noting that this is my worst ever performance in a World Cup.

First Team Squad Member

Fabio Crouchello's England Record (2009 - 2017):

Code:
    95	64	20	11	217	67	67%		World Cup 2010 Runners-up
    								Euro 2012 Runners-up
    								World Cup 2014 Quarter-finalists
    								Euro 2016 Winners
    								Confederations Cup 2017 Group Stages

Fabio Crouchello's Uruguay Record (2018 - 2019):

Code:
    16	10	4	2	49	17	62.5%		Copa America 2019 Quarter-finalists

Fabio Crouchello's Brazil Record (September 2019 - November 2019 - two months!):

Code:
    3	2	1	0	4	0	66.6%		None

Fabio Crouchello's Ivory Coast Record (March 2020 - August 2021):

Code:
    12	9	0	3	26	6	75%		None

Fabio Crouchello's Portugal Record (August 2021 - July 2022):

Code:
    12	8	3	1	24	6	66.6%		World Cup 2022 Second Round

First Team Squad Member

So where next for Fabio Crouchello?

First Team Squad Member

Don Fabio always lands on his feet:

A really excellent chance for me to finally win a World Cup, surely?

First Team Squad Member

Fabio Crouchello - La Furia Roja

Fabio Crouchello Lands in Spain (July 2022)

Fabio Crouchello was rejected by England before choosing Spain as his next destination. The FA decided to appoint Paul Ince after Stuart Pearce was sacked following the World Cup, and Spain jumped at the opportunity to bring Crouchello, so often their enemy, to manage La Roja.

Crouchello has so often been viewed as an enemy. His record against Spain stands as P4, W3, D1. On three occasions, Fabio Crouchello's England knocked Spain out of a major tournament. Finally, Spain have moved to bring in the manager who has been the cause of so much misery, and they hope that he can lead them to success once again after losing in the final of the 2022 World Cup to Italy.

This is an alternative, parallel universe, where Spain have still never lifted the World Cup. They were third placed in 2010 after Crouchello's England knocked them out at the semi-final stage. They were runners up in the World Cup just gone, defeated by Italy in the final.

What is clear is that both Fabio Crouchello and Spain covet the World Cup in a big way. They both have an immense desire to lift that trophy for the first time. In this respect they are a perfect match.

Spain have a recent history of playing attractive football. Will Crouchello's more pragmatic style be accepted by the fans? If he brings home a trophy or two, they are likely not to care.

It's a new era for Spain and a new challenge for Crouchello. Will he deliver the success so desperately craved by both?

First Team Squad Member

Euro 2024 will be held in England. A chance for me to win it on home soil!

Our qualification group looks like this:

Code:
    | 1st   |       | Cyprus         |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 2nd   |       | Spain          |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 3rd   |       | Latvia         |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 4th   |       | Czech Republic |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
    | 5th   |       | Norway         |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 

Third Team

It's worth noting that this is my worst ever performance in a World Cup.
    A shocking performance nonetheless crouchy. You should be ashamed !

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by canvey!! View Post
    A shocking performance nonetheless crouchy. You should be ashamed !
    I am, believe me. (This 'smiley' is apparently supposed to convey embarrassment, just in case you didn't realise!)

To be honest though, I inherited a poor Portugal squad. I made a big deal about how they had won the World Cup in 2018 but it should also be noted that they were knocked out of the Euros in the group stage in 2020. I should have seen this as a warning, however the urge to manage the current World Champions was too much. The squad I took to World Cup 2022 was never going to win it though. My options were extremely poor at the back and fairly limited up front. Meanwhile, I had some of the most talented midfielders in the world but it wasn't enough without a solid defence. I still think it was unlucky to lose against Spain but I didn't have any particular hopes about winning the whole thing really.

My career has all gone a bit wrong since I left England. I have the chance to turn it around now with Spain who have an immensely talented squad. A real shortage of wide players again but otherwise I have some real talent to pick from.

Semi Pro

Very unlucky to go out on penalties Although you seem to have come out of it very well by getting the Spain job

First Team Squad Member

Yes hrbfcrule - I'm still living off my Euro 2016 winners medal.

I feel that I have a real chance of finally getting my hands on that World Cup trophy with Spain.

Part-Timer

The FA decided to appoint Paul Ince after Stuart Pearce was sacked following the World Cup
    Is this related to what I described before on the unlikely event of being offered the same job again? I know someone said it doesnt happen if you get sacked but its becoming a little odd that everyone else will approach you but not England. May be worth noting in the bugs forum for the next edition, in order to avoid a repeat (if that is the case).

By the way I love this career thread. Its one of the best ones on here. How you manage to keep us glued to the possible success achieved or not when an International event only takes place every 2 years. Keep it going, want to see what you achieve with Spain and see what young guns they have at the moment in game.

First Team Squad Member

Jsolloso - thanks for your kind comments.

I have a thread in the bugs forum about these issues. I've not got any definite answer back from SI but they have acknowledged that there is an issue and that they will be working on it.

I'm not too worried. I would obviously have jumped at the chance to manage England again but I'm happy enough with a move to Spain. I'm doing it for the glory! I need to win that elusive World Cup!

First Team Squad Member

One regret I have over this save is that it is far better to manage a country with an active league in the game. You can immerse yourself in it far more and you are better able to scout players and so on and so forth. I do wish I had loaded some more leagues.

It's nice to be managing Spain, however, and I jumped at the chance as I have their league running. It gives me a better pool of players to pick from and the squads are more likely to be balanced out. That's why I think that this could be Fabio Crouchello's last appointment. I hope that it will be a long and ultimately successful one. Never say never, and if the Italy job becomes available, I might give that a go too as I have that league loaded. And, once again, if England becomes available, I would definitely take that job again. But if I could just win the World Cup with Spain, Fabio Crouchello will probably retire gracefully from the international scene. Then again, there is something romantic about the idea of Don Fabio ending it in Italy..... hmmmmmmmn.....

Anyway, if I have any advice for those who intend on having an International journeyman, I suggest loading the top leagues of the countries that you would like to manage as it really helps with the immersion.

First Team Squad Member

I've sent out a firm message that things will be different under Fabio Crouchello by removing Cesc Fabregas as captain and dropping both him and Gerard Pique from the squad entirely.

Both are 35+ now and are not going to feature in my plans for the future of Spain's national team.

First Team Squad Member

I've also decided to prioritise players who are playing in the Spanish league over those playing outside of Spain. Those playing in the other two top leagues of Italy and England will also be looked at ahead of any others.

Sounds like your stamping your authority on the teams straight away, a good thing in my opinion.

Good luck in qualifying, love catching up on this save when I can.

First Team Squad Member

A couple of friendlies first and then straight into qualifying.

It's a good chance for me to look at what I am going to do tactically with this squad. I have an immensely talented set of forwards. The real disappointment is the lack of a decent holding player really.

First up, we play Holland away in what will be a very tough first match for Fabio Crouchello.

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thepathtoamen View Post
    Sounds like your stamping your authority on the teams straight away, a good thing in my opinion.

Good luck in qualifying, love catching up on this save when I can.
    Thanks Thepathtoamen.

First Team Squad Member

International Friendly - Holland 2 - 0 Spain

Line-ups

Well this first match didn't quite go to plan but it was a largely experimental side and I wasn't too worried about the result in this match as I am still getting to know my new players.

We actually deserved something from the game, hitting the woodwork twice and having two clear cut chances. It just wasn't our day though.

Never good to start off with a loss but this was just a friendly so I'm not too worried. I need to find my feet in Spain and find my best team.

First Team Squad Member

International Friendly - Spain 1 - 0 Ecuador

Line-ups

A narrow but thoroughly deserved victory. Nice to start off with a win at home.

I switched to 4-4-1-1. My main concern was the lack of quality on the left side but I managed to bring in a couple of youngsters who have potential for the future in Daniel and Samuel Torres. The latter scored a goal on his debut today to win the match.

First Team Squad Member

Samuel Torres becomes Spain's youngest ever player:

First Team Squad Member

After a couple of games in charge, I feel I can show you some screenshots of my very best players in this squad.

Starting at the back:

First Team Squad Member

In midfield:

First Team Squad Member

And I'm spoilt for choice up front. These are the best two forwards:

First Team Squad Member

A number of future Spain stars got given their debut by Fabio Crouchello against Ecuador:

First Team Squad Member

And so, we now begin our Euro 2024 qualifying campaign. We begin at home to Latvia before travelling to Cyprus for our second match.

First Team Squad Member

Euro 2024 Qualifiers, Group H - Spain 3 - 0 Latvia

Line-ups

I've settled on a 4-4-1-1 formation for now, with my captain Julio Vargas as deep-lying playmaker in the midfield, and with attacking midfielder Juan Soto playing as inside forward behind Herrera.

This is a rather straight-forward win, as expected, with Juan Soto scoring three quality goals to win the match. A solid start to the qualifying campaign.

First Team Squad Member

Euro 2024 Qualifiers, Group H - Cyprus 0 - 2 Spain

Line-ups

We really should have scored more today but somehow we just couldn't put the ball in the back of the net. It was a relief when the second goal finally did come.

This is the last match of 2022.

First Team Squad Member

Euro 2024 Qualifiers, Group H Standings at the End of 2022:

Code:
    | 1st   |       | Spain          |       | 2     | 2     | 0     | 0     | 5     | 0     | +5    | 6     | 
    | 2nd   |       | Norway         |       | 2     | 2     | 0     | 0     | 4     | 1     | +3    | 6     | 
    | 3rd   |       | Cyprus         |       | 3     | 0     | 2     | 1     | 3     | 5     | -2    | 2     | 
    | 4th   |       | Czech Republic |       | 2     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 2     | 3     | -1    | 1     | 
    | 5th   |       | Latvia         |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 2     | 7     | -5    | 1     | 

Part-Timer

wow i've just read this in one go! nice work, and how long did pearce last with england?

First Team Squad Member

Thanks.

Pearce lasted for five years.
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 29-07-2010 at 11:06.

First Team Squad Member

Euro 2024 Qualifiers, Group H - Czech Republic 1 - 1 Spain

Line-ups

I took a few risks for this one, fielding an experimental side, and it almost backfired. In the end, though, this was a good point in one of our harder away games in this qualifying group.

First Team Squad Member

I can't believe that they let this guy anywhere near the England team again!

First Team Squad Member

Euro 2024 Qualifiers, Group H - Spain 3 - 2 Norway

Line-ups

Norway are our main rivals for the automatic qualification spot and so this was a very important win. It was far away from the comfortable home win I was expecting though. Some defensive errors kept us on edge but we came through this test with a great result.

First Team Squad Member

Euro 2024 Qualifiers, Group H - Spain 6 - 0 Cyprus

Line-ups

A nice easy win for us.

We now find ourselves topping the group by three points after Norway dropped two points away to Latvia.

First Team Squad Member

International Friendly - Romania 0 - 0 Spain

Line-ups

A chance to experiment with players. I'm very settled on the 4-4-1-1 so this was mainly a chance to look at a few possibilities in terms of personnel.

Great to get a clean sheet but disappointed not to win the match.

First Team Squad Member

International Friendly - Spain 1 - 1 Israel

Line-ups

Not the performance I had hoped for. It was only a friendly though. Now we can look at getting back to the real business of the Euro qualifiers.

First Team Squad Member

Euro 2024 Qualifiers, Group H - Latvia 0 - 3 Spain

Line-ups

Very comfortable indeed.

Next up, we have two key games against the Czech Republic at home and Norway away. We're in a good position to qualify, three points ahead of Norway, but these games could really make or break our qualifying campaign.
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 29-07-2010 at 12:04.

First Team Squad Member

Euro 2024 Qualifiers, Group H - Spain 1 - 1 Czech Republic

Line-ups

This doesn't quite go to plan as a well organised Czech Republic side hold us to a draw at home.

Luckily for us, Cyprus amazingly manage to hold Norway to a 1-1 draw at their place, ensuring that we go into the last game away to Norway three points ahead in the standings.

We just need a win or a draw to confirm our place at Euro 2024.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast