Former Players Become Coaches or Managers

Was wondering how people have see former players become a coach or Manager and how there getting on?

I've just started season 2012/13

Spotted Sol Campbell is now manager of Blackburn Rovers who sitting in Championship.

Last played for Newcastle in premiership season 2010/11

He managed Crystel PLace from 2-7-11 to 18-2-12

he then took Blackburn job on 8-5-12

No tophies yet

his manager stats are Games PLayed 41 won 11 draw 11 lost 19 GF 53 GA 66

i will more as i spot them be intresting to see how other are doing.

also if anyone has favorite player there like me to have look that might of retired by this season and see what he up to let me know.

Quite a few actually. I'll use players from my Newcastle side as they are the only ones i really look out for.

Steve Harper - Assistant Manager - No club.

Nicky Butt - Manager - Oldham

Geremi - Coach - Rangers

Players that im lining up -

Jonas Gutierrez - Manager

Ameobi - Coach

There are a few others aswell. I'll have a look at my save in a bit and update.

Well I'm playing in France (2033), with no other leagues loaded, so most of the famous players from the Premiership say "Definitely staying in the game", then leave (Rooney, Giggs, Lampard, Terry, Gerrard, Torres to name a few).

However, I will have a look around and let you know who's about!

I've got Paul Scholes on my coaching staff at Oldham - he retired as a player and said he fancied a job with me. He's alright, three-and-a-half stars for attacking, which is OK for me in the Championship, and he'll hopefully get better.

And with Roma, Totti retired and I instantly made him a coach - on only £100 a week! - but I think he'll be getting the AM job after a while as he has some good mental and tactical stats (despite reportedly being a bit dim in real life) and my current AM is getting a bit old.

I currently have Zidane as my own scout, but Beckham, King, Toure, Hargreaves, Joe Cole, Crouch and Carra all as coaches. Beckham in particular isnt bad - 4 star on attacking and ball contol.

As well as that Drogba is the Ivory Coast manager, Hyypia is Finland manager, Rosicky manages Sheff Wed, Heskey manages Southampton, Keiron Dyer manages Shrewsbury, Henry manages Almeria, Inzaghi manages in the Italian 3rd division, James Beattie manages MK Dons, Giggs manages Furth in the German 2nd Division, Csse manages FC Lorient, Malouda manages Monaco, Saha manages FC Metz.

I love how diverse it gets in the game, currently in 2017, looking forward to the regens starting to go into management.

Didier Drogba became Portsmouth manager in 2019, and is still there. His only job.

Henry and Ribery managed France and Bayern Munich respectively. Then swapped jobs. Ribery is still at Bayern, but Henry got fired, and disappeared.

Gourcuff is a First Team coach at Stade Rennais.

Sakho works for me as a coach, along with quite a few lesser known players.

Kryvtsov who was my centre back for 15 years now manages Ukraine.

Moussa Sissoko (Toulouse player), is Toulouse manager.

Samir Nasri manages Anderlecht (who are a major European team currently)

Flamini manages at Stade Lavollois.

Philip Mexes manages Parma.

Veira was a coach at various clubs, but has retired now.

I think that's it for players remotely famous in real life today.

Had a few ex-prem and SPL players I've spotted becoming managers/coaches in some of my saves.

Steven Gerrard - Appointed him as a coach for Liverpool when he retired in my save in 2014/15, went on to become Cardiff manager in the Championship the next season.

Jamie Carragher - Again appointed him as a coach at Liverpool, a season before Gerrard, for some reason Barcelona decided to pinch him off me for a coach despite poor stats.

Paul Scholes - Noticed him when he became manager of Man Utd in 2014/15, checked his history and he became a coach for Man Utd in 2012/13.

Ryan Giggs - Noticed him when I checked Utd's staff after seeing Scholes as manager. History said he became a scout for Utd in 2011/12.

Gary Neville - Same as above. Became a coach in 2011/12.

David James - Retired in 2010/11 and midway through the next season became Barnsley's manager in League One. Got sacked in 2011/12.

David Beckham - Manager of West Brom in the Prem in 2012/13. Got relegated to Championship in 2014/15.

Barry Ferguson - Became St. Mirren manager in Scottish 1st Division a season after he retired.

David Weir - Became the Assistant Manager of Dundee in the SPL when he retired in 2011/12, went on to become the manager of Queen of the South in the 1st Division in 2014/15.

Spotted a few Europeans as well, though I've probably not discovered all of them:

Alessandro Del Piero - Manager of Napoli, history says he was a first team coach at Juventus as well.

Fabio Cannavaro - For some reason manager of Lyon.

Francesco Totti - Manager of Roma, says he was assistant manager before it too.

Raul - Current manager of Real Soceidad in La Liga, won the Copa Del Ray with them too.

Benito Carbone - Nottingham Forest - Previous to that i brought him back to Bradford City as a player in the second half of the first season in the game and he helped me secure the league 2 title by scoring 15 goals in 19 games. The following season he was mainly used as a sub making 11 appearances in total with 4 starts and 4 goals. As i wrapped up the league 1 title i renewed his deal for the championship but he only made 3 sub apperances before i made him a coach. Halfway through my 7th season he decided he wanted a crack at managing and took over Forest who were at the very bottom of the championship, they went down but are doing ok in league 1.

Michael Owen - Bolton - After man utd, he went to Fulham where he ended his playing career. I signed him as a coach where he stayed for just over a year. Bolton offered him the managers job, bottom of the premier league and went down but he bounced straight back up finishing 2nd in the championship

Kieron Dyer - Ipswich - Ended his playing career by helping my team get to the premiership and a year out of the game Ipswich signed him as manager finishing 14th, 8th and 5th in the championship... runners up in the FA Cup to me and followed that up with qualification for the Uefa Cup

Ryan Giggs - Stoke

Nicky Butt - Chesterfield

Richard Dunne - Leeds

Kevin Kilbane - Preston

Danny Higginbottom - Charlton

Lee Hughes - Kettering

Michael Ball - AFC Wimbledon

Loads of coaches Frank Lampard & Rio Ferdinand started their coaching at Celtic

Linvoy Primus became some Italian team's chairman on one of my saves, and offered me a job..

Pretty kinda if you ask me, since I never played him when I was manager of portsmouth :D

Wow that strange one former player becoming a Chairman of Portsmouth.

Gerrard is England manager on my current save.

Quite incredibly, Zola is about to embark on his 19th year of management with West Ham.

Modric is managing Premier league side Huddersfield.

Milner is managing Portsmouth.

David Healy is the Chelsea Boss.

Chivu is managing Liverpool and Lescott is managing Sunderland.

In my save Sol Campbell managed Leeds, finished 14th in the championship and got fired.... then he managed Bolton and got fired in january with them sitting 13th in the championship.

For the last 2 seasons hes been without a job.

Gerrard, Lampard, Terry etc... are all just about to finish their careers (2014) as they almost all ended up as free transfers in the summer.

I've appointed Michael Ballack as my am at Chelsea and he's not that bad. I'm in either 2013/2014 and waiting for Terry & Lampard to retire. I've also released the following players at the end of their contracts: Deco, Drogba, Anelka. Deco is an unemployed manager. Drogba moved to Marseille on a free. Anelka is currently playing for and unhappy at Saint Etienne.

I have just reached the end of 2017/18 season and here are a few:

Premiership:

Arsenal: Ricardo Calvalho (youth coach)

Blackburn: Ledley King/ Brett Emerton (yc)

Bolton: Joleon Lescott (yc)

Everton: Michael Ballack (manager)

Fulham: Joe Cole (yc)

Man Utd: Frank Lampard (yc)

Newcastle: Owen Hargreaves (manager), Tomas Rosicky (yc)

Sheff Utd: Gareth Barry (yc)

Spurs: Robbie Keane (yc)

West Ham: Marco van Basten/ Rio Ferdinand (yc)

Wolves: Richard Dunne (manager), Gary Neville (ass man)

Championship:

Birmingham: Micheal Brown (manager)

Burnley: Jon Woodgate (manager)

Colchester: Jermaine Pennent (manager)

Ipswich: Ryan Giggs (ass man)

Leicester: Tony Hibbert (manager)

Notts County: Nicky Butt (manager)

QPR: Peter Crouch (manager)

Swansea: Jamie Carragher (manager)

Wigan: Paul Scholes (coach)

League 1

Luton: Phil Neville (ass man)

Sheff Wed: Wes Brown (manager)

Southend: Zat Knight (manager)

I am in League 2 with Rushden and Diamonds and have Hayden Mullins as my assistant manager and Robbie Fowler as my scout...

• 6 years later...

Paul Scholes - Manager - Fulham (Championship)

Jamie Carragher - Manager - Barnsley (League One)

Nicky Butt - Assistant Manager - Swansea (Championship)

Michael Ballack - Manager - QPR (Championship)

I was doing a Cambridge job with Michael Owen (Assistant Manager), David Beckham (Director of Football), Jimmy Bullard (Head of Youth Development/Scout) and Joe Cole and Quinton Fortune (Coaches). I've got promoted twice and sitting 11th in the Championship after a total of 4 seasons.

Archived