FMS Challenges - Game Discussion Thread

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=17832

Thanks to our friends over in FMS and HD who compiled this list for us we now have access to partake in any of the official FMS challenges. You are free to play any of the challenges at your own speed and post any updates in here if you would. There is no real competition here, it's just a new and different blend and style of challenges.

If your feeling brave enough why not write a story on your game to be posted in FMS, I'm sure they'd be glad to have a read, make sure you know the rules in there before posting though. There's one or two who get a bit grumpy at the best of times.

When posting any updates, make sure you clearly say which challenge you are doing so we can follow your progress according to that challenge layout.

Good luck, and any questions, just ask.

Bravo.

FWIW they are in chronological order and haven't been heavily revised, so some refer to teams being in divisions specific to the version of the game that was current at that stage. I'm sure you're all smart enough to take that into account and adjust for FM08 or 07 or indeed 09 as you see fit in due course.

PS: Do the Lord of the Rings one. icon_wink.gif

• 4 months later...

When I used to post in FMS, (Now that was a looooooong time ago), I used to find that the story almost took on more importance than the game itself and it sometimes bacame hard to juggle the two.

What I thought at the time, was that it might be easier to write a story based upon a game that was being run by someone else. The problem with this is that you are often restricted with the information available to you in a game that is being run by someone else.

There are a few games at the moment that spring to mind with regards to this but the most obvious are the 2 games being run side by side in the Northern Monkeys/Southern Softies thread.

Others take the pressure off you by playing 1 season of the game before passing it onto someone else and post regular updates about the progress they are making. Then at the end of the season the save game is posted for download and the next person takes over. This gives you an ideal opportunity to write about a pretty special pair of games that are being played by some decent and experienced players and you have a wealth of information at your fingertips without having to do any of the graft yourself.

Anyway, for someone who is interested in writing a story then this might be an ideal game to start on as it takes away the onus of playing, (allowing you to continue with your existing games), but possibly sneaking in the odd year or so of management in this game along the way.

Some of these challenges look pretty good, the stages of each one should certainly help keep the games interesting.

Can't gaurantee that I'll have a go at one with FM08, but one or two of them will certainly be on my list for 09.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see how others are getting on.

When I used to post in FMS, (Now that was a looooooong time ago), I used to find that the story almost took on more importance than the game itself and it sometimes bacame hard to juggle the two.

What I thought at the time, was that it might be easier to write a story based upon a game that was being run by someone else. The problem with this is that you are often restricted with the information available to you in a game that is being run by someone else.

There are a few games at the moment that spring to mind with regards to this but the most obvious are the 2 games being run side by side in the Northern Monkeys/Southern Softies thread.

Others take the pressure off you by playing 1 season of the game before passing it onto someone else and post regular updates about the progress they are making. Then at the end of the season the save game is posted for download and the next person takes over. This gives you an ideal opportunity to write about a pretty special pair of games that are being played by some decent and experienced players and you have a wealth of information at your fingertips without having to do any of the graft yourself.

Anyway, for someone who is interested in writing a story then this might be an ideal game to start on as it takes away the onus of playing, (allowing you to continue with your existing games), but possibly sneaking in the odd year or so of management in this game along the way.

Jimbokav - I agree with you here, to an extent.

It has occurred to me in the past that the FMS forum would be a decent fit for these games. The major drawback would be however, the very slow pace (from my general observations) of progress and updates in most stories in that forum. As you say, I think people get tied up in writing and less on playing.

In the Wallace v Roberts thread, there's a fine balance in terms of level of detail provided, ie providing enough to keep it interesting for everyone else, and just 'getting it done' to pass onto someone else. Recently, the updates have been to a consistantly high and detailed standard, the level of detail in a story is usually somewhere beyond that, plus there's the need for more creative writing.

In short, what I'm saying is that it might slow the whole thing down too much.

There's is however potential, I suppose, for a reprisal of the history of each of the clubs in a story format....the end of season save game uploads are probably pretty much still intact (I'm guessing) if real detail was being sought. Big project mind you.

Archived