Football Manager Spending

Having read various posts about people wanting to become Chairman and spend money on players etc I had a thought of my own, I think becoming a chairman would not be possible or relevant considering the game is called FOOTBALL manager, however I have got an interesting theory that I hope can be incorporated into the game. I haven't seen this posted anywhere so if it has please forgive me.

One of the things that has continually grated me within FM is the fact that you negotiate your contracts with clubs but for what reason? We all try to get more money if we feel we are doing a good job but why? We can't spend it on anything......

I realise that this is may not be everyones cup of tea but I think that there should be some sort of "off the pitch" side to FM. For example, some things to spend your money on. I wouldn't say go mad with the choice of things to buy, just things such as houses and cars etc. There can be serveral "stages" of houses - e.g. when you have just started out and dont have much money, you can only afford a 1 bedroom house in the area you manage and maybe a mini etc. As you move up the managerial ladder, you also move yourself up the property ladder, being able to sell old houses and buy new mansions and apartments in other countries and buying ferrari's or bentleys, this can be incorporated into the media side of things as well - eg if you buy a brand new ferrari whilst your club are languishing in the bottom 3, questions will be asked as to your professionalism etc.

Following on from "the off the pitch" side of things, I think there should be a place that players can spend their money, like the houses and cars (the example about buying a ferrari whilst your team are struggling can apply here as well), I think they can also be caught in pubs and clubs night before games etc, you would then have to discipline them as you see fit.

I know that this is a whole new thing, however I think that it would enhance the realism of what is already a great game. The main reason I came up with this is the continued frustration that I am working and getting paid well but for no reason really. In essence, you might as well negotiate a lower contract so that the wage bill does not get affected.

Please let me have your thoughts.

Thanks

Not sure I like it personally. You discredit the chairman idea because the game is called football manager, I'd say the spending personal money is even less football related. I'm just not sure it would add anything to the game to be able to spend money on a ferrari. If you want a car game, buy GT?

Fair play.... Like I said it won't be everyones cup of tea and I fully accept that. Can I just ask why you would be opposed to it? I'm not just being petty because you didnt like my idea, I genuinely would like some constructive criticsm.....

I would mainly like it as firstly you get to spend your wages instead of just seeing how much you have made in your career.... but secondly I think it could enhance the media aspect of the game as mentioned in my first post - I mean say AC Milan sacked their manager and you bought an apartment in Milan at around the same time, newspapers would automatically link you to the job (assuming you had the right credentials). Even forgetting the buying of houses, cars etc I think some "off the pitch" activities should be available like learning a new language, this will again link you to jobs in the media but also will guard against not being able to speak a certain language when you first arrive at a club?

Thanks for the reply and I know it wont be for everyone but thank you anyway..........

that would take FM down the Fifa Manager route which is rubish. Wages are in the game to make your job more secure the higher the wages the less likely you are to be sacked

I didn't know that was the purpose of wages, I had assumed that there would be a reason some where along the line.

Thanks for the info..... So is it all "off field" additions that everyone is opposed to or just the ones I have suggested? :D Say the learning of a new language?

There are already "off the pitch" features, such as the transfer market and press conferences.

This has been discussed to death, and I would be against it as I would prefer the developers spent more time on the football side of things than cosmetic features.

There are already "off the pitch" features, such as the transfer market and press conferences.

This has been discussed to death, and I would be against it as I would prefer the developers spent more time on the football side of things than cosmetic features.

I agree that there are more important aspects to work on before anything of this nature. I think that it would enhance the media aspect of the game, which in my opinion is rather repetitive.

Do I sense a FM expansion pack?

Football Manager: Real Estate Agent

Take your club to the top with tactics while you climb the real estate ladder.

-----------------------

Agreed that there needs to be some reason for us players to try and negotiate for more money, but to me, it just sounds like all you really want to do is buy a ferrari, whether it be physical or virtual

It's very gimmicky. I tried FIFA Manager a couple of years ago, and it just doesn't add anything to the game. You could choose your wife, whether you have kids or not, buy cars and houses but it's so removed from what our job is and what the game is about that it's just not fun.

As above, wages are there for job security, but can also work the other way. If your wages are high and you have a long contract, other clubs are less likely to come in for you due to compensation. For me, it doesn't need to be anything more. I think this gets brought up a lot because people don't realise that wages are there for a reason, and because of that it seems pointless.

As above, wages are there for job security, but can also work the other way. If your wages are high and you have a long contract, other clubs are less likely to come in for you due to compensation. For me, it doesn't need to be anything more. I think this gets brought up a lot because people don't realise that wages are there for a reason, and because of that it seems pointless.

I for one didn't know what the wages were there for hence pretty much why I created this thread! I have been enlightened and "put in my place" so to speak. Lol.

Your own contract is just window dressing on the game. And it's the start of a slippery slope to all those old games that let you set the prices of the pies on the terraces and the scarves in the club shop. These did not make for a realistic football game. For this reason alone, leave it all well alone.

It dont detest the idea

I wouldnt mind it

But i honesly dont want Si to be given more work to do when there is so many bugs with the game

If they fixed some of the major bugs in the game i would not mind this

But only when the game is near bugless

Your own contract is just window dressing on the game. And it's the start of a slippery slope to all those old games that let you set the prices of the pies on the terraces and the scarves in the club shop. These did not make for a realistic football game. For this reason alone, leave it all well alone.

Not entirely true. The more you earn/longer your contract then the more secure your job is.

It's very gimmicky. I tried FIFA Manager a couple of years ago, and it just doesn't add anything to the game. You could choose your wife, whether you have kids or not, buy cars and houses but it's so removed from what our job is and what the game is about that it's just not fun.

Isn't compensation limited to 1 million?

I know that alot of people have said that they wouldn't like this due to other bugs being more important to fix and I totally agree.

I was just thinking about the wages as I negotiated a new contract with Milan and kinda wanted to spend it on something.

I admit that in hindsight it would detract from the game slightly.... I just think there should be some aspects "off the pitch" that can then improve the media side of the game. Eg the language learning.

no dice. i have thought long and hard about this one as you had a well thought and constructive post. however i feel that in itself it just doesnt add anything to the footballing side of the game. similarly with all the problems associated with football manager at the minute, i think it would be better to fix these rather than spend time on gimmicky features.

Footy Mange is so good because it's sticks to what it does best - football management. If this kind of feature ever comes in then I'll know the game is going downhill and the developers are clutching at straws. Leave this sort of stuff to The Sims.

When poaching staff, compensation is limited to 1 million.

You can try it in your game.

Don't think so. I've seen the AI pay 1.2 million for some of my staff in my Man City save. This may also just be a glitch in my game, but thought it was worth mentioning.

I don't like this idea at all -sorry walker700 - and if SI ever included it (which I am sure they won't :)), I don't think I would want to play FM anymore.

I do however like the idea of learning new languages :thup:

Also, I never knew bigger wages gave you less chance of being sacked - I never looked at it that way. I just always accept whatever they offer me as I want the least added to the wagebill as possible. If I could manage for free I would :D

I will continue to accept the bare minimum anyway, as I am so good I never get the sack :cool:

learning languages is the only useful suggestion you made really. Why on earth would I care what house I live in on FM or what car I drove? It's pointless. Especially if it could have a detrimental effect on my team. That's just ********

I was using it as an example of something that wages could be spent on... Other than providing job security, there is no literal need for them, they only negatively affect your wage bill!!

I admit that the house example was obviously not the best example, i just think the wages should have some other use other than ensuring job security. Even if you can use it to pay for a transfer that you want to make.... e.g. Mark Hughes putting some of his own money in to get Craig Bellamy from West Ham.

When poaching staff, compensation is limited to 1 million.

You can try it in your game.

Can't say I've ever really noticed it to be fair. I tend not to pay too much compensation anyway.

And we don't say poaching... we say creatively recruiting... ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived