I have managed there with new england won three league champs in a row. I tended to use my draft selections to get players from others clubs. So only ended up with below average players. Also had a transfer budget so signed a couple of players from hondurous, they turned out to be quality players.

I am currently managing Real Salt Lake, having taken the job in the second year of my current game. The problem with the MLS in FM08 is that the drafts get slimmer and slimmer over time, and there are some strange things that happen with interaction with the players (I had two players with whom I was negotiating a contract, and both fell through because they demanded that I consider them "key players" and that option isn't available in the MLS).

Another problem is with scheduling. This was fixed to a certain extent with the 8.0.1 patch, but as of now (July, 2009 in my game), I am looking at four matches in the course of about a week at the end of the season.

It's a great challenge, especially dealing with the fact that all the players you develop will want to go somewhere else. Just be prepared for some mild headaches.

I always exclusively start in the MLS (North American soccer fan). Try Toronto FC if you want a challenge. It's an expansion team and finished near the bottom of the table in real life, but in the game, they have a good nucleus of players and are competitive. The MLS rules are very strict (most of my TFC roster has to have Canadian players, which is especially hard because most players in the draft are American, so if you choose TFC, you kind of forced to draft Canadian players, and sign Canadians, mostly from the CSL), and you won't have enough money to go around because of the salary cap in MLS.

Another challenge with TFC is the fact that the board won't allow me to get a parent team...

as a yank i love to take on mls but there are soo many known errors and issues with the way the the mls works n the game. i am waiting for these to be sorted before i go back to mls. One of my biggest issues is that developing the young american players is impossible because none of the lower league teams will make any players better.

i had a not bad run with new england but the draft system was something i didn't really like.

maybe if i knew how to use it to better affect i might of enjoyed it more.

but i'd say you could win the league with any team you want really, master the draft icon14.gif

Iv taken over Chivas USA and bought Emilio from DC United & loads of quality Honduras, colombion and Gutamela players & then realised there's a limit on foreign players which im pretty ****ed about lol.....What time of the year does the draft take place in?

MLS is good fun but it has a lot of bugs which sort of ruin it. Also after a few years it will get bad with youngsters not really developing. The ones in your team probably will since you would manage them well and have better training and coaches and facilities but the others wont. Also the teams you loan the youngster to suck so much the players wont develop much at all.

Also to master MLS, I like to have a 20 man squad. A bit like the 2 player per position 22 man squad but with 1 less defender and 1 less midfielder. But with 20 man squad you will need 2 development players since you can only have 18 senior players. Use one on your 2nd choice goalkeeper and then the other one is usually a problem. Have to get some crap player. Usually getting a foreigner for this developmental player pays off since the youngsters from USA wont be good because they wouldn't have developed much at the lower US leagues. Also you might want to get a 3rd choice keeper and put them in your reserves. Should be a development player as well.

I enjoy playing as Toronto FC. They have a good fan base (I am getting 24k fans / game -- highest in the league), but they are Canadian. The draft hasn't helped me at all since mostly American players are in it. I have signed lots of South Americans and I've gotten about 4-5 to take up Canadian citizenship. I find that to be very worthwhile. It works well to buy players from Brazil who are like 18 with 1 star out of potentially 4-6. You can even get a feeder club and they will keep getting days towards Canadian citizenship while on loan (it takes 3 years to get it). They seem quite interested in doing this because all of my players that took the citizenship have then started the next games for the national team. It is my goal to build up Canada to a good level and get them to compete despite not managing the team. It's quite a challenge, but the drafts seem worthless. If there are any good Canadian players in the MLS, I will always get them in exchange for as many draft picks as the other team wants.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rancer890:

I always exclusively start in the MLS (North American soccer fan). Try Toronto FC if you want a challenge. It's an expansion team and finished near the bottom of the table in real life, but in the game, they have a good nucleus of players and are competitive. The MLS rules are very strict (most of my TFC roster has to have Canadian players, which is especially hard because most players in the draft are American, so if you choose TFC, you kind of forced to draft Canadian players, and sign Canadians, mostly from the CSL), and you won't have enough money to go around because of the salary cap in MLS.

Another challenge with TFC is the fact that the board won't allow me to get a parent team... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TFC was beaten 4-1 by my Portland Timbers. ;P

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shiny223:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rancer890:

Another challenge with TFC is the fact that the board won't allow me to get a parent team... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TFC was beaten 4-1 by my Portland Timbers. ;P </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FM's TFC is a lot better than real life TFC icon_biggrin.gif

Anyone else find the slow player development in MLS annoying? I am managing Canada and I have to use FMM to increase the CA of youngster towards there PA because the game certainly isnt doing it. Very bad for USA also...looking at there NT all there squad is 28+ except for about 4 player...2 of which are 27yo and one of the other ones is Adu so he is developing faster at Benfica.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Fox69:

What time of the year does the draft take place in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Early January, right after the MLS Combine (make sure to assign a scout to the Combine!).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyone else find the slow player development in MLS annoying? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. I'm in my second season, and my prior year draftees are improving a bit, but should be a lot better. Still, I find the declining ability of subsequent draft pools a much more irritating problem, which is why I'm currently job hunting in my game.

After playing MLS on all FM's so far, I must say that 07 seemed to get the quality of drafted players spot on.

IRL the best draftees of recent years can be lured to europe (Freddy Adu (Benfica), clint dempsey (Fulham)) just to name a few. And this did happen in 07, 1st round draftees did develop well and show bags of potential.

However, in FM08 playing in 2010 as New England, i've yet to draft anyone who has even made my first XI.

I would like to know why the draft was tampered with this year SI?

And another thing...

What's with the weather?!?

April Week 1: -5*C

April Week 2: 20*C downpour with gales

Not living there, I wouldn't know but i doubt 38*C, with rain (Monsoon conditions???) in Dallas in June is realistic?

But i'm not too mad right now, as won the Champions cup last night icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Leezoid:

And another thing...

What's with the weather?!?

April Week 1: -5*C

April Week 2: 20*C downpour with gales

Not living there, I wouldn't know but i doubt 38*C, with rain (Monsoon conditions???) in Dallas in June is realistic?

But i'm not too mad right now, as won the Champions cup last night icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dallas reaching 38C isn't too much of a stretch. It gets pretty hot down there in the summer.

-5C in April, on the other hand, isn't even close to realistic.

Is it possible to trade/give allocation money for a player? Some players got traded during the draft for allocation money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't believe so.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jaguar8311:

I love managing my TFC game but the bugs are so bad! The players on opposing teams don't develop, my players are always releases (Not on vacation and they are contracted).

I think I might quit this game and manage somewhere else </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The thing I dislike the most is the declining ability of each successive draft, because the roster limits force you to use players on developmental contracts at least some of the time. So, I'm looking to move after my second season.

I loved playing in MLS last year, but WSM2008's regens are so nerfed it's sad. It's a good thing the core Nats players are young, or Team America would go to crap real fast. Of course, I like to play long games, so by the time I get around to replacing Uncle Bob it's gonna be Adu and Altidore and a whole bunch of useless bodies.

Hell, if there's one thing America gots it's pure athletic ability, but wouldn't-you-know there's hardly any athletic freaks getting spawned in this game's future. I'd love to look forward to having at least an Eddie Johnson type so I can watch him run real fast in a straight line (even if he couldn't tap a basketball into the freaking ocean), but no.

Shameful.

Archived