Tricky Trees

Nottingham Forrest, forrests have trees.

Well obviously but I've rarely heard them referred to as the Tricky Trees. Wikipedia does state their nicknames are Forest, The Reds and Tricky Trees but out of all of these to be put in the game I thought they would have put the most commonly referred one in.

If there is any Forest fans on the forums maybe you could shed some light on this subject.

Perhaps its because thier old ground was called 'Forest recreation ground' which was part of Sherwood Forest. Or perhaps its to with the tree logo and them being tricky to play against? I've had a look and even asked a mate of mine who is a forest fan and he doesn't know :)

Perhaps its because thier old ground was called 'Forest recreation ground' which was part of Sherwood Forest. Or perhaps its to with the tree logo and them being tricky to play against? I've had a look and even asked a mate of mine who is a forest fan and he doesn't know :)

Hmm, I get the nickname but I just wonder why they include it on the game instead of the more common nicknames of Forest or The Reds.

Not really, i've not heard many other names used for Liverpool, Wolves or Chelsea. Certaintly not for Liverpool, other than "The Reds" or "The Redmen".

You'll never hear anyone on the street call Everton "The Toffees", but the media love to use the nickname in their news stories, "Toffees sweet on..." "Toffees come unstuck".

Not really, i've not heard many other names used for Liverpool, Wolves or Chelsea. Certaintly not for Liverpool, other than "The Reds" or "The Redmen".

You'll never hear anyone on the street call Everton "The Toffees", but the media love to use the nickname in their news stories, "Toffees sweet on..." "Toffees come unstuck".

Yeah, I agree that Liverpool don't have any alternate nicknames but as you said, The Reds is hardly unique.

And, apart from Wolves, I don't really know any teams that are commonly referred to by their nickname(s).

I think the whole point is; the Forest researcher had a choice of nicknames to choose from and he preffered to use 'Tricky Trees' instead of the 'The Reds' which is used by a dozen or more teams and isn't exclusive to Nottingham Forest. It adds a bit of identity and personal touch to the gamei think.

I think the whole point is; the Forest researcher had a choice of nicknames to choose from and he preffered to use 'Tricky Trees' instead of the 'The Reds' which is used by a dozen or more teams and isn't exclusive to Nottingham Forest. It adds a bit of identity and personal touch to the gamei think.

I suppose you're right, I had just always wondered. I thought it may be some weird copyright or some other strange reason, but I'm glad it's been cleared up a bit.

• 1 year later...

This has always bugged me. I've been a Forest fan for over 20 years, season ticket for a lot of those years and I haven't once heard anyone call them "The Tricky Trees".

Thankfully in recent versions "The Reds" seems to be their go to nickname (and quite right, I don't care if it isn't unique) but I've still seen a few "Tricky Trees" references.

I've never even heard the real life media call them the tricky trees, it's literally just in FM for some weird reason.

Yeah, I agree that Liverpool don't have any alternate nicknames but as you said, The Reds is hardly unique.

And, apart from Wolves, I don't really know any teams that are commonly referred to by their nickname(s).

I quote you sir the nickname "Pompey"

and the answer to the OP.........

I think that calls full time on this thread but for your FM fans I can do an encore and I have the following:

BRISTOL CITY: CIDER ARMY

The Robins are also known as the "Cider Army" because of the area's reputation for drinking and making the apple based beverage. Currently sat in the Championship's relegation zone, they'll be hoping they are toasting survival with a few ciders come May 2012.

LANCASTER CITY: DOLLY BLUES

A Northern Premier League Division One North outfit who used to play in the same colour as Dolly Blue washing tablets, giving rise to the nickname and "The Dolly Blue Tavern", a social club outside their stadium.

HARTLEPOOL UNITED: MONKEY HANGERS

This bizarre nickname is a reference to local folklore that claims residents of Hartlepool once hung a monkey thinking it was a French spy during the Napoleonic wars. As you do. Initially, rival fans of Darlington used the term to goad Hartlepool supporters, who have since adopted it as their own.

CHELSEA: PENSIONERS

Chelsea's first badge was used until 1952 and paid homage to the famous Chelsea pensioners from the nearby Royal Hospital Chelsea, inspiring the early nickname.

FC UNITED OF MANCHESTER: REBELS

A choice coined by the media to describe the club set up in protest at the Glazer family's takeover of Man United. Incidentally, they share this with Slough Town FC.

SHREWSBURY TOWN: SALOP

'Salop' is an old abbreviation for Shropshire, used in the county banner's Latin inscription of "Floreat Salopia". Translated, it means "Let Salop Flourish".

SCARBOROUGH ATHLETIC: THE SEADOGS

The club was formed by the supporters’ society, "Seadog Trust" in 2007 following the liquidation of Scarborough FC. They chose to keep their nickname, derived from their proximity to the coast in the north-east.

Middlesbrough: SMOGGIES

A term most commonly used by Mackems or Geordies poking fun at the industrial side of the Teeside area. Residents of Middlesbrough, particularly fans of the club, have since taken a shine to it and a local HMV store even launched a "smoggy" range of t-shirts.

LEYTON ORIENT: CHICKEN ORIENTALS

A way of paying homage to the vast selection of Chinese takeaway outlets in Leyton and the surrounding areas. Last season, Orient served up a real treat in a thrilling 1-1 draw against Premier League Arsenal in the FA Cup fifth round.

sorry, I cant edit correctly its

NOTTINGHAM FOREST: TRICKY TREES

An old name originating from the club's first games played near Sherwood Forest, which of course was full of trees. One of Forest's most successful fanzines at the dawn of the 90s was also called "The Tricky Tree."

I've always found the Tricky Trees thing odd too; I'd have assumed that 'Forest' was more common. I doubt many people refer to Chelsea as the Pensioners or Man City as the Citizens. Palace were known as the Glazers but this too, is very archaic.

Some teams are known by their suffix, and not their nicknames; United, City, Villa, Forest, Wednesday. You know exactly which teams are being referred to. But in general, nicknames aren't used too often outside Wolves and Pompey; some nicknames off the top of my head Bradford (Bantams), Stoke (Potters), Port Vale (Valiants), Peterborough (Posh), Wycombe (Chairboys), Swansea (Jacks/Swans) and so on. But it's not often you'll refer to these teams with those (nick)names unless you're a fan of those teams, perhaps.

As a Wrexham fan, our 'official' nickname is the Dragons, but you'll still hear the fans referring to ourselves as the Town (frequantly, despite it not being our suffix), the Reds (obviously) and the Robins (Pre-2001 nickname). I edit the database so our nickname is the Town. It's just better.

I was born in Nottingham and have lived here most of my life (58 years) and have never heard the name "Tricky Trees" until FM used it. My Forest supporting mates are also at a loss as to why this has been used. I support Notts Co so I won't mention my nickname for them :)

I was born in Nottingham and have lived here most of my life (58 years) and have never heard the name "Tricky Trees" until FM used it. My Forest supporting mates are also at a loss as to why this has been used. I support Notts Co so I won't mention my nickname for them :)

see my post above...its all explained

I mentioned Forest, using the TT nickname, to somebody I know who is a massive fan of the team. He showed at least an awareness to the term.

Much better than the crap modern nicknames clubs get. Bring them back, I say.

An old name originating from the club's first games played near Sherwood Forest, which of course was full of trees. One of Forest's most successful fanzines at the dawn of the 90s was also called "The Tricky Tree."

Nottingham Forest originally played on the Forest Recreation Ground to the north of the city, from which they get their name. This is the site of the original Nottingham Racecourse in the 19th century and now used for the annual Goose Fair. It is nowhere near Sherwood forest.

I've been a Forest fan for over 50 years. The name 'Tricky Trees' or even just 'Trickies' I only saw for the 1st. time when the internet started & the supporters' websites began to appear. The TT nickname became quite popular in these pages but I've never actually heard any band of supporters shout it at a match.

Its a term that I've seen quite a lot as a Derby fan, mostly with people trying to troll Derby forums... you know, when they're not in the relegation places. This however may mean that only the douchebags who troll on other forums use it...

Of course, the proper way to greet a Forest fan is "we only had 10 men"...

Apologies. Complete spelling fail.

I just get annoyed with people constantly referring to the Glazers as the Glaziers. As far as I know, not one of them works with glass. No idea why I let it annoy me, though.

Thanks MrPompey. I used to buy The Tricky Tree fanzine from a small record shop in Nottingham in my teens!

I just get annoyed with people constantly referring to the Glazers as the Glaziers. As far as I know, not one of them works with glass. No idea why I let it annoy me, though.

Well I misspelt Glaziers as Glazer because of the silent 'i' in Glazier, which I have always pronounced as 'glay-zer' like the homophonic Man United owners as opposed to 'glay-zee-er'.

A major fail for someone who studies languages...

Apart from Wolves, I don't really know any teams that are commonly referred to by their nickname(s).

"The Saints" is often used instead of Southampton.

The club originated as a church team and were called "St. Mary's Young Men's Association F.C. " when they were founded in 1885. That later became "Southampton St. Mary's", before finally changing to "Southampton F.C." in 1894.

Archived