Aggression and Bravery

I find that if you sign players with very high aggression (18,19,20) then you're asking for trouble. They get sent off far too often, but on the other hand you probably don't want to be stuck with a player who has anything under about 10 there either.

Probably more important is positioning and anticipation.

aggression is key for my DMCs. but Flamini used to get sent off everytime he returned from suspension, 4 in a row at Athletico. i don't think his agg rating was that high, bravery might have been.

strength, positioning & concentration key for my CBs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

I would be looking for both Aggression and Bravery in any Center Backs I'm wanting to sign. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll agree with looking for high bravery for centre backs, but personally, I'm not to keen on having too high an aggression stat for them, as it could well lead to the layer giving away free kicks and penalties in dangerous positions, and increases the risk of the player getting carded, which, could be costly for centre backs, especially if they are the last man.

Bravery - essential for a CB - you don't want him pulling out of challenges now do you?

Aggression - everyone seems to be interpreting this the wrong way - according to the games manual (and users in the T&T forum) this refers to a players willingness to get involved - e.g. steven gerrard will quite happily motor about the pitch and try to cover all, hence a high aggression, whilst the likes of anelka are a tad lethargic, hence low aggro.

It does relate to dirty challenges as well, but not as directly as everybody seems to be implying.

Similarly, if a CB has high aggro, it isn't an issue as long as his tackling ability is high - as high aggro will cause him to attempt more tackles.

Or at least this is my understanding of those 2 stats.

Aggression, I tend to stay away from the extremes of, in both directions. As noted earlier, 18-19-20 Aggression seems too prone to picking up cards .. but on the other hand, I don't want a docile player, either.

Bravery, I tend to find that as long as its "reasonable", say 9+, 10+, its not an issue. Its the really timid ones (1-2-3) that have trouble. I had a goalkeeper with a Bravery of 1 and it actually looked like he was ball-shy. icon_biggrin.gif

He was a regen, never made it out of my U-18s, but if you watched his U-18 goals conceded, you'd see things like:

Opposition striker comes in on a breakaway, keeper starts rushing out, but stops just beyond the six...

... then dives to his right as the shot goes to his left.

It totally looked like he froze, panicked, and then tried to get out of the way! icon_biggrin.gif

IMO, its both, they're as important as each other.

Bravery:

Does what it says on the tin, player will challenge with no fear, maybe help other attributes I suspect such eagerness to win.

Agression:

The player is a fiery character | or | Tackles hard but fair, BUT tackles very hard.

On my basis above then obviously it would be yes, but if I had to choose between the two I'd go for bravery, its seems to be the safer option, the other feels to gun-ho for me, not in a team game I want to play with eleven players not ten.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pyewackett:

Bravery:

Does what it says on the tin, player will challenge with no fear, maybe help other attributes I suspect such eagerness to win.

I would learn, more towards, maybe better att defensive headers say, defensive corners, will keep charging the opposition as their brave, they want to win, well.....maybe:/

Aggression:

The player is a fiery character | or | Tackles hard but fair, BUT tackles very hard.

The opposition striker would be nervous, or more like bugger I wont dribble past you it going to hurt....... Or they'll keep drawing fouls if a more talented player if to compare Defender - V - Striker

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They both play an important role, particularly with DM and DCs. The model 'ággressive' player was Roy Keane. Sure, he picked up a few red cards but who can dispute what an asset he was to the cause at his prime.

I think aggression becomes a problem when combined with some hidden mentality attributes like sportsmanship. I wonder also whether a kid with high AGG can be tutored to channel it appropriately.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amaroq:

He was a regen, never made it out of my U-18s, but if you watched his U-18 goals conceded, you'd see things like:

Opposition striker comes in on a breakaway, keeper starts rushing out, but stops just beyond the six...

... then dives to his right as the shot goes to his left.

It totally looked like he froze, panicked, and then tried to get out of the way! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's quality.

Brings back memories of coaching a girls football team at uni and trying to convince the GK that the ball didn't hurt lol.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how much of a hindrance high eccentricity is?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how much of a hindrance high eccentricity is? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To me its a dangerous beast, as it will depend on particular the player, maybe the being scouted will help, finding out how selsfish the player is, and little more information alwas helps.

Its a two sided coin.

The Good Good side of the coin:

The defense will struggle to mark the player, as of defense splitting passes and funky step overs.

The Bad side of the coin:

The player will be to selfish, wont pass the ball. Keeps running at the players gets tackled, shoots when shouldn't.

Its risk sometimes that you may need to take.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pyewackett:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how much of a hindrance high eccentricity is? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To me its a dangerous beast, as it will depend on particular the player, maybe the being scouted will help, finding out how selsfish the player is, and little more information alwas helps.

Its a two sided coin.

The Good Good side of the coin:

The defense will struggle to mark the player, as of defense splitting passes and funky step overs.

The Bad side of the coin:

The player will be to selfish, wont pass the ball. Keeps running at the players gets tackled, shoots when shouldn't.

Its risk sometimes that you may need to take. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_confused.gif Eccentricity is a GOALKEEPING ONLY attribute icon_rolleyes.gif

It's an open question whether there is any real advantage. You want your 'keeper to be reliable and predictable in the main, so I prefer a low stat. Having said that, I've yet to see anyone offer any substantial evidence that a keeper behave very differently if their ECC is 20.

From what's been said in this thread I think people seriously underestimate Aggression, it's vital for defensive midfielders (you could have a DM with 20's across the board, if he has a low aggression, he's useless) and surprisingly great for target men. What I believe it basically amounts to is the players determination to make and win challenges, essential for players you want to close down the opposition.

For center backs it's not as important as situations where they can take the ball are thrust upon them, indeed a high aggression may be a problem with players going out of position (if this is the case, turn down their closing down tact option), whereas your DMs need to actively run about making these challenges. For this reason I believe it's a good attribute for CBS to have as long as they have relatively decent pace, else it could create problems.

I'm sure it's why Alan smith was, IMO, the greatest target man in 07 (haven't tried in 08, but he looks pretty similar. Allways got av ratings of 8+ in a season in 07, and could be picked up pretty cheap because the AI wouldn't use him right and he had quite low CA/PA). I have a save on 08 in 2026 and I have an excellent 19 year old welsh Regen striker with 20 aggression and despite his other stats not being so hot, he is excellent - despite having other TS's with much better jumping/firsttouch/strength/creativity he outplays them all.

http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chapmanri2.jpg

Well put TFS. Alan Smith is another example in addition to Roy Keane of a player with 20 aggression which can get him into trouble for sure, but is a vital and effective part of his game.

You're right about target men - they're up against big burley defenders and if they're going to win those knock-down headers have to out-muscle their markers.

icon_confused.gif Eccentricity is a GOALKEEPING ONLY attribute icon_rolleyes.gif

It's an open question whether there is any real advantage. You want your 'keeper to be reliable and predictable in the main, so I prefer a low stat. Having said that, I've yet to see anyone offer any substantial evidence that a keeper behave very differently if their ECC is 20.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blayhod:

It's an open question whether there is any real advantage. You want your 'keeper to be reliable and predictable in the main, so I prefer a low stat. Having said that, I've yet to see anyone offer any substantial evidence that a keeper behave very differently if their ECC is 20. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry forgot to write anything inicon_smile.gif

so, keeper with high eccentricity actually has some positives, if he's a decent keeper otherwise, but bottom line is do you want such player between posts.

fabien barthez comes across the mind. he was a keeper with high eccentricity and still world class keeper at the time.

if, and i really mean IF the keeper is good, i don't really mind if he's eccentric as those players gets the team going. remember world cup '98? laurent blanc always came to barthez to kiss his baldy head, i bet that was part of his eccentricity, but it was building the team spirit which got hem to lift the trophy.

i bet eccentric keeper was huge part of their success.

cheers.

despite occasional slumps, a quality eccentric keeper is a real turbo engine of any team.

Lets not forget that CBs do need some good accelerations and decent pace as well. Remember what your AssMan usually tells you?

"We'll need quick defenders"

Ring any bells.

I agree on all the other stats that were mentioned BTW.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Just means he won't keep getting sent off. Mental attributes of youngsters tend to increase anyway with experience although I can't remember off the top of my head whether aggression does or not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest arrogantio

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TFS:

From what's been said in this thread I think people seriously underestimate Aggression, it's vital for defensive midfielders (you could have a DM with 20's across the board, if he has a low aggression, he's useless) and surprisingly great for target men. What I believe it basically damounts to is the players determination to make and win challenges, essential for players you want to close down the opposition.

For center backs it's not as important as situations where they can take the ball are thrust upon them, indeed a high aggression may be a problem with players going out of position (if this is the case, turn down their closing down tact option), whereas your DMs need to actively run about making these challenges. For this reason I believe it's a good attribute for CBS to have as long as they have relatively decent pace, else it could create problems.

I'm sure it's why Alan smith was, IMO, the greatest target man in 07 (haven't tried in 08, but he looks pretty similar. Allways got av ratings of 8+ in a season in 07, and could be picked up pretty cheap because the AI wouldn't use him right and he had quite low CA/PA). I have a save on 08 in 2026 and I have an excellent 19 year old welsh Regen striker with 20 aggression and despite his other stats not being so hot, he is excellent - despite having other TS's with much better jumping/firsttouch/strength/creativity he outplays them all.

http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chapmanri2.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

your excellent striker also has high work rate, bravery, determination and teamwork... as does Alan smith and most players with high aggression.

As above, and as a result less brave players tend to make more mistakes. I have this defender who's absolutely brilliant except his Bravery is 4 and his Aggression 11. While he functions well 75% of the time, he is responsible for every single defensive lapse I encounter. icon_frown.gif

Archived