Getting job offers: Ethnicity vs Previous Experience

Whenever I start a game, I always start off unemployed just to see what offers I get.

I usually play with about 30 leagues (8-10 countries), and I love the lower leagues. My nationality is American and my experience is "Sunday League Player" (because "guy off the street" isn't an option).

I'm usually offered absolutely nothing. Occasionally, I'll get offered a BSS team, which I snap up. I'm just curious, and I'd like to get other opinions on this topic. What is hurting my employment chances more, listing myself as American or as a "Sunday League Player"?

Also, as the game progresses, do those elements factor into future job offers? Sometimes, I'll go 4 or 5 seasons without having another team try to steal me away from my current team even though I've walked them from BSS to Div. 2. I don't expect to be hired by Chelsea or Barcelona, but I figured other BSP or Div. 2 teams or equal teams in other countries might notice my skills and make an offer.

Does ethnicity or experience even matter beyond the initial job hire that starts the game?

I think language is important, rather than ethnicity. For instance, while obviously as an American your best bet could be US-based jobs (although it's unlikely an MLS side would employ a rookie!), you're then much more likely to get a job in England than in France or Spain.

In the long-run language does matter, as for instance once you learn Spanish or French by managing in those countries, other teams in that country may be more willing to offer you a job. Again with language taking preference over ethnicity, learning French for instance may increase your chances of getting a job offer in Switzerland or Belgium.

Experience is key though. Anyone but a small club willing to take a risk is unlikely to offer a job to an inexperienced manager, and to have the chance of moving up in the world of football you obviously need experience. With a low reputation you'll most likely have to start at the bottom and prove your worth!

In answer to:

What is hurting my employment chances more, listing myself as American or as a "Sunday League Player"?
I'd say reputation is limiting your chances of getting offered jobs and being accepted for those you've applied for, while ethnicity (or more specifically language) further limits your chances and your horizons beyond English speaking nations

At present I'm in my 2nd season managing in Spain (Alcobendas who start in the 4th tier), and even though I'm managing in that nation, learning the language and achieving some success - and set my starting reputation reasonably high - the only job offers I'm getting are back home en Inglaterra. In the last week I've been linked with Preston, Watford and Norwich!

:)

i started as unemployed and english with my 2nd nation being republic of ireland. got all the leagues running in england, spain and italy. only job i got offered at the start was with weymouth, bottom of the BSS at the time. it wasnt until i was a top half team in the BSP that i started getting linked or offered jobs.

Now im in league 2, i seem to get linked every week with clubs. I have turned down swansea who are in the championship.

certainly experience cost me for a long time getting another job and as i have never been linked with a premier league side it still costs me a bit. I have also never even been linked with a job abroad, so maybe both experience and language are costing me a move abroad

That's what is so interesting to me about this game. Hershie makes a good point about language, as I've had some players from non-English speaking countries have a difficult time because of a low adaptability rating and they get homesick quite quickly. I'm wondering if language skills on the part of a coach or manager (me) would also enable the player to better adapt to the new environment, which would lead to my being a more attractive coach. I'm not an "editor" kind of guy, so I've never looked at the inner workings of this game. I'm curious to know if the language skills of manager help with adaptability for players playing abroad.

I'm finding similar problems. I'm an aussie so started my career game in my home country as manager of A-League club Central COast Mariners (a little unrealistic i know but there are no playable leagues below this). Anyway after 2 very successful seasons and midway through a third I am ready for a new challenge and start to look around. I woluld prefer a British position so I see that Wrexham have sacked their manager, at this point they are bottom of L2 with no money at all to spend so I figure start here and have a go at a tough challenge right? wrong - they pass over me for a guy who had been out of work for 6 months after getting Wimbledon relegated the previous year!!!!! I applied for another couple of jobs with similar results.

I know that Australia and the A-League aren't universally respected but surely strong success here (most agree that its about the same standard as L1) would place me in a reasonable position to get some of these jobs.

Now i refuse to use an editor so I can only guess its one of two things - my rep and that of the a-league and central coast is significantly lower than L2 or its because i'm still unknown over there because my rep is only Continental.

Any thoughts on if/when I will ever be able to break into the British system or is it a lost cause because I'm an aussie?

...and my experience is "Sunday League Player" (because "guy off the street" isn't an option).

Automatic = "guy off the street".

According to the book:

"By default, the 'Automatic' choice is selected, meaning you are entering the football world with no prior experience."

Nationality has an effect on what jobs you're offered. Managers from England, Spain, Italy are likely to be offered more jobs than other nations in Europe. Can't remember where i seen it written, but it was in some official capacity from SI.

Starting a game with Automatic experience as Northern Irish I got offered the Cork City job (without applying) in the League of Ireland Premier Division, which surprised me as I also had the First Division runnning. Rejected for a job in Northern Irish top flight (only division selected) and got English Conference South job after applying.

nothing apart your rep is important ..

rep starts as your previous experience

i got brazil job, while my nationality is neither brazil/spanish or portugalish or whatethehall, nor i could speak portugal? or anything like that..

my rep is 10k which is max..or world class in game

you learn xx country language within months anyway so its kinda unrealistic..

nothing apart your rep is important ..

I don't think that this is the case - again I'm not going to use an editor but in my scenario the bloke that got the wrexham job ahead of me only has a regional reputation and mine is continental so presumably this means I have a higher rep number than him.

Presumably he got the job because he was better known/had better knowledge of the British game than me. This is the only explanation that makes any sense, so the game does take into account people's nationality or languages or where they have been based or some combination of these as well as just straight reputation.

I can accept this as a legit reason why I didn't get the wrexham job in my game tbf but I am just curious if the game does in fact work this way.

Nationality has an effect on what jobs you're offered. Managers from England, Spain, Italy are likely to be offered more jobs than other nations in Europe. Can't remember where i seen it written, but it was in some official capacity from SI.

Scotland should surely be on that list, too, given it's rich history of legendary managers.

Archived