Refs are card-happy

I agree Otak, the cards is flying all over the place.

When i started i thought it was because i was playing low level Football (League 2) but it doesnt matter what level you play.

It feels lika every second game a player is out because he has too many bookings. I play on normal tackle and my players arent dirty?

England, N.Ireland & Peru.

I think that it is linked to individual and team settings. If you ask a plauyer to play a role that he is not suited to or if you leave him exposed tactically then bookings and sending offs will follow.

I quite like the way it is at present.

Possibly good do with a few more cards for defenders, but that's about it.

Anything else to back this up? I've never had a problem with bookings. I do agree that a booking probably shouldn't occur that fast but thats a different matter. How often do you get cards this early on?

Not sure what to suggest.

If you have Gerrard set to an attacking tactic, then maybehe is being caught out of position too often and this is the result of him trying to get back.

I would play around with the tactical setting and see if playing a slightly different way helps you.

I have found this works for me so you never know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

I've been having this problem and it's driving me nuts.

I was told that it's a known issue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was a known issue ou of the box but if anything it will be going the other way with 8.02 (I think).

The general concensus is that there are not enough booking for defenders, (I think).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

I've been having this problem and it's driving me nuts.

I was told that it's a known issue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was a known issue ou of the box but if anything it will be going the other way with 8.02 (I think).

The general concensus is that there are not enough booking for defenders, (I think). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's central midfielders who keep getting booked for me. I could probably agree about the defenders. I'll certainly be looking to see if things change after 8.0.2.

I had 3 players sent off and gave away 3 penalties in my first league match of the Icelandic season with AI Akranes. Haven't played that savegame since so I don't know yet how it'll pan out for the rest of the season.

In Blue Square North I think I am up to 7 red cards now with Whitley Bay from ~35 league games. Can't remember yellow cards, but they were exactly matching our number of goals a while back before we went on a goalfest - somewhere ~60 yellows I'd think though. We were also awarded 3 penalties in one game, but I guess that does happen from time to time...

I've played with a DM in my Gateshead team for 11 seasons now and can honestly say I've not noticed a problem with the number of cards he or any my other players pick up.

And I always use the opposition instructions to hard tackle certain players. Maybe something in your tactical setup (other than the strength of the tackles) is causing you to get a lot of bookings?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Saying that, I will usually take a player off at half time if he has been booked in the first half.

Common sense really. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not always possible or sensible though - I like to make tactical substitutions so if I have 3 players on yellows at HT I'm not just going to hoik them all off instantly! Plus in that Icelandic save the first 2 were straight reds in the opening ~25 mins.

Certainly you could make an argument though for taking off the guy who got a yellow for conceding a 1st half pen. I didn't though so he decided to complete the job in the 2nd half by conceding another and getting sent off icon_smile.gif

Depends on the ref and the country. In Germany I got 4 reds in 3 years and in my first season in Italy with exactly the same tactic i've had 4 reds and it's just turning Januray.

This seems realistic though as we constantly see players pulled up for high feet etc in Europe that they would get away with in the Premiership.

glamdring. It may not alwys be possible but iy is sensible most of the time.

In N.Ireland for example I only had 3 substitute spots for the first 4-5 seasons.

I deceided that I would often prefer to play a player slightly out of position than have a defender or a defensive midfielder play 45 minutes while already on a yellow card. Don't get me wrong, sometimes a player got sent off in the first half or sometimes they got 2 yellow in the 2nd half after I had used my subs. I'm not saying it's foolproof but it certainly weighs the odds in your favour and is sensible in my opinion.

The other thing I would say is that I play with a deep defensive line. Because of this, my defenders are not often caught on the wrong side of the defende, (apart when they go walabout but that's a different story). Because of this they are less likely to give away fould which they might be carded for. By defending deep and tight marking, my defenders, (and defensive midfielder), have to make VERY few tackles but MANY interceptions.

My defensive midfielder has a quite low closing down so he sits in front of the back 4 a la Makelele and is also more prone to making interceptions, (where the risk of a foul is low), than tackles, (where the risk of a foul is high).

I would bet that in the Gerrard example above, he is given creative freedom and attacking instructions. This will result in him moving forward and away from a good defensive central position. When his team loses posession he will be in a more advanced position than he would like defensively and due to me mental and physical satats have both the desire and the physical ability to get back to the opposing player in posession, but in doing so give away a free-kick.

If anyone who is experiencing this is not convinced, try looking at your tactics and see what you can change. I promise you won't regret it icon14.gif.

glamdring. It may not alwys be possible but iy is sensible most of the time.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it's a risk-reward toss-up. Obviously if I have 3 players on yellows at half time I could take them all off, but then if I get a player injured I have to play with 10 men anyway and I have no flexibility to make tactical substitutions. Thus I prefer to take the risk on having a man sent off vs having the flexibility to make the substitutions I want rather than those dictated to me by the yellow cards.

Certainly I look at who is on a yellow card when it comes to making a tactical substitution if I just want to change things around, but don't have any specific player I want to rake off then I will often choose one on a yellow card. I don't live in fear of red cards though!

It's an obvious issue. There is a problem, and I think it has to do with tactics. In the course of a match when my team has the upper hand, it's OK but then suddenly the other team starts plaing better and getting more chances and my players start to commit fouls, and mostly Gerrard. I agree he has 18 aggre but he is also, 17 in tackling and he should tackle better. icon_rolleyes.gif

In the SPL I constantly get games where 8 of my players get booked for something or other. I use Normal tackling. This happens whether I'm winnning, losing, playing well. By half time I sometimes have racked up double figures in fouls, not counting offsides. My opponent get away with less fouls, and even when they have more/equal amounts of free kicks conceded, they never have corresponding bookings. Doesn't completely ruin the game, but irritating nonetheless. Strange.....

Perhaps some of you could post some statistical data to back these claims up.

I am the only person in this thread to post career stats for a player playing in DM or MC and my results seem fine.

Perhaps someone who is experiencing a problem could do the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We don't need to post an stats, we have no reason to lie.

It's not about lying, it's about hard facts. These kind of threads always attract the people who have had the bad end of the red cards spectrum rather than those who have no problem with it so just giving comments doesn't really prove anything one way or the other.

IMO there are too many bookings for Central midfielders - the rest i do not have a problem with.

In my first sesaon Gerrard picked up 72 yellows and 2 reds. Tackling is set to Normal and it is the same tactic I used in FM07 and never had these rediculous amounts. Also because of the bookings the central midfielders get very low ratings. Gerrard and Masch only ever seem to get 6 & 7's.

I believe it has been confirmed that central midfielders often get too many yellows, I may be mistaken though.

Overall though, the number of cards seem fine, it just needs to be evened out a bit more, as, from my experience, wingers and full backs rarely ever seem to get booked.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mojby:

IMO there are too many bookings for Central midfielders - the rest i do not have a problem with.

In my first sesaon Gerrard picked up 72 yellows and 2 reds. Tackling is set to Normal and it is the same tactic I used in FM07 and never had these rediculous amounts. Also because of the bookings the central midfielders get very low ratings. Gerrard and Masch only ever seem to get 6 & 7's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops - meant to say 27 yellows and 2 reds. 72 was my team total.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had both in my saved games so far. Some game seem crazy, others no cards at all for me or AI team. Other times 5 cards for AI team and none for me.

Just as a little tip for anyway, it does say, keep an eye on the referee stats, some are more card happy than others.

Also players mentality and morale can affect cards given in a game too. So while I seen both ends of the spetrum on my games I personally do not think it is too much. Have you any idea how many yellow cards have been given out just in the top 2 leagues of English football this season so far? Its a lot. Seems balanced to me.

Every time this topic comes up (about once a week these days), I chime in to say ...

CAPTIANS

My squad record in 12 seasons is 27 yellow cards and 2 red for the the season.

If you have a captian who is influencial with low composure, low sportsmanship, and high dirtiness, your whole squad will get booked a lot. I pick my captians to be professional (thus clean and sporting), influencial, and composed, and average 1 red card and ~20 yellows a season. I have tackling set to Normal, and since 8.01, I've been able to opp-instruct enemy STs and lone AMCs to Hard.

It's not the game, it's your tactics (inasmuch as captian choice is a tactical concern).

I've never really had a problem with them tbh. In the last season my most "dirty" player was my DM Miguel Veloso, who got 9 yellows and no reds, believable enough considering his position. I guess I must have an abnormally clean team though that I didn't have a single sending off in (iirc) 57 games.

Archived