[FM10] A career in the British Isles

wobbly007

Version : FM08, 8.0.2 no edits

Database : Large

Leagues loaded : Wales, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Ireland

As I'm now 12 seasons into my career game, I thought it would be the right time to start posting about. This is by far the save that I have enjoyed the most in recent times and I intend to play it for a long time yet

Season  Country  Club  League  Position  Cup Wins
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007/2008 Wales  Llangefni Premier  17th and sacked          
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2008/2009 Wales  Pontardawe Premier  11th          
2009/2010 Wales  Pontardawe Premier  16th          
2010/2011 Wales  Pontardawe Premier  13th          
2011/2012 Wales  Pontardawe Premier  11th          
2012/2013 Wales  Pontardawe Premier  7th         
2013/2014 Wales  Pontardawe Premier  3rd           
2014/2015 Wales  Pontardawe Premier  4th           
2015/2016 Wales  Pontardawe Premier  3rd           
2016/2017 Wales  Pontardawe Premier  2nd     
2017/2018 Wales  Pontardawe Premier  1st     
2018/2019 Wales  Pontardawe Premier

Seasons  - 12
Clubs managed - 2
League titles - 1
Domestic Cups - 0
European Cups - 0

My first season started disastrously with Llangefni as I got them relegated and was promptly sacked. Thankfully newly promoted Pontardawe Town took a gamble on me and I was happy to take the job.

My first season with them saw me comfortably finish in 11th place. The following season we finished in 16th with a pathetic 20 points. How we didn't get relegated I'll never know!!!

As you can see though, it's been a gradual improvement over the years culminating in the clubs first ever Premier League title in the 2017/2018 season

Long term my intention is to continue to pick up bargain free transfers at the start of the season (so far I haven't spent a penny on transfers) and sell them off at a profit a couple of years later should any clubs be interested in them. Any money made will be pumped in the training and youth facilities with the goal of building up the infrastructure of the club so that we can eventually dominate the Welsh league and hopefully make some impact in Europe

So far this season I am 9 games in and am in 3rd position, in the middle of a 25 game unbeaten run. Europe saw us get knocked out of the Champions league at the 3rd qualifying stage by Lazio and the Sampdoria beat us in the Euro Cup first round

I'll update at the end of the season or sooner should anything of any note happen

Nice career progression and welcome wobbly007. How long have you been playing this save? Any aspirations to manage elsewhere in the future? I notice you're on 08; I too had some great saves on that version.

Thanks. I've been playing it for a few months now I guess, although as I've had a bit of free time lately I've found myself really motoring through the seasons and managed to do two in two days.

As for managing elsewhere, it's a definite possibility. Ideally I'd love to manage in all the leagues I've got loaded up and win the top league in all of them. I'm keeping my eyes open for one of the top teams in Ireland or Northern Ireland to need a manager, then I'll probably move to Scotland before finishing my career in England.

That's the plan anyway. Whether it works out that way is anybodys guess!!

Have Afan Lido made any impact? Wondering as i'm playing as them right now.

Unfortunately not. Their highlight was finishing in 5th place in the 2013/2014 season.

During my time in Wales they've been relegated three times. The last being in season 2015/16 and since that relegation they've not yet made a return to the top flight

And thanks for the positive feedback guys

I've just had my first job offer but to be honest I'm not really that tempted

Colchester have approached me as they are languishing in 18th place in League 1. I think I'll wait for now and try to see out my initial plan

Latest update for this current season is that in the league after 22 games we've are still in first position, unbeaten and 4 points clear of TNS.

I've also managed to steer the team to the final of the Welsh Challenge Cup Final where we'll meet TNS. I've got no doubt this will be a tough game but all being well we've got a good chance of picking up a Cup this year

*INJURY CRISIS AT PONTARDAWE*

We are currently in the middle of an injury crisis the like of which I don't think I've ever quite experienced. 5 of my first team are currently sufferering from long term injuries. 5 of my second choice and reserve players are also injured My first, second and third choice keepers are all injured meaning I'm having to rely on a 17 year old rookie who only turned professional a couple of months ago. As you can imagine, I haven't got the biggest squad so my resources are being stretch and really tested

Despite all this, and with the rookie keeper in goal, we've just beaten Bangor away 5-0 in the FAW Premier Cup quarter final. There's a real chance of getting to a second final of the season because we've got a very winnable game against Llanelli, although the winners of the tie will meet Cardiff or Wrexham in the final so that's going to be one tough match.

End of season report 2018/19

======================

Another good season for Pontardawe saw us finish as the top team in Wales

League Table

It also saw us win our first ever Cup

Cup Final

As for the player of the season. It has to be Mark Williams. During our injury crisis he was a legend playing in the centre of midfield and chipping in with some vital goals, finishing with 13 in 29 league games

Player of the year

I do have one fear for the club though. Despite our successful season and being well within the wage budget, we are losing quite a bit of money every season. There is no coincidence that this coincides with the club turning professional and hence paying the players bigger wages. What with this, and the number of jobs that I'm being linked with, I get the feeling that this could be my last season as Pontardawe manager.

Finances

Jobs that I'm being linked with that I'm interested in are Rangers, Motherwell, Hibs and Glentoran. There are also a number of English clubs but I don't want to manage there just yet.

I'm sure it won't be long before I know whether it will be another season in Wales or a fresh start somewhere new...

In the end, the only offer I got was from Sheffield Wednesday. It was very tempting considering their stadium capacity and the potential that the club clearly has but I'm going to stick to my guns and go to either Ireland or Northern Ireland next (unless a big Scottish team comes in for me)

Can't say I'm too disappointed though to spend another season at Pontardawe. I'm more than happy to continue what I've started at the club

The next chapter of my adventure has begun. I am now manager of Derry City in Ireland after they sacked their manager following relegation from the Premier League

Whilst it might sound like a strange decision to go to a club playing outside of their top flight, I feel I'll be able to build a good enough team to gain promotion and eventually win the Premier League title

It's been a real fall from grace for a team that only 3 seasons ago won the Premier League title so expectations are going to be high and I'm sure I'll be expected to deliver from the fans and the board

Season..Club............League..........Position........Cup wins/Info
====================================================================================
2007/08-Llangefni.......Welsh Premier...17th............Sacked......................          
2008/09-Pontardawe......Welsh Premier...11th........................................          
2009/10-Pontardawe......Welsh Premier...16th........................................          
2010/11-Pontardawe......Welsh Premier...13th........................................          
2011/12-Pontardawe......Welsh Premier...11th........................................          
2012/13-Pontardawe......Welsh Premier...7th.........................................       
2013/14-Pontardawe......Welsh Premier...3rd.........................................          
2014/15-Pontardawe......Welsh Premier...4th.........................................          
2015/16-Pontardawe......Welsh Premier...3rd.........................................           
2016/17-Pontardawe......Welsh Premier...2nd.........................................     
2017/18-Pontardawe......Welsh Premier...1st.........................................     
2018/19-Pontardawe......Welsh Premier...1st.............Welsh Challenge Cup.........
2019/20-Pontardawe......Welsh Premier...N/A.............Left after 17 games.........
2020/20-Derry City......Irish 1st Div...............................................

Seasons  - 12
Clubs managed - 3 (Llangefni, Pontardawe, Derry)
League titles - 2
Domestic Cups - 1
European Cups - 0

Pre-season Results for Derry

=====================

5-1 win v CIE Ranch 1

3-0 win v Blarney

3-1 win v Home Farm

2-1 win v Arklow

3-1 win v Freebooter

Transfers

=======

5 players in, all on free transfers to fill a few holes in the squad

17 players out earning £85k, The main reason for this was to reduce the wage bill but also to try to get the club back in the black, which we now are

Thoughts

=======

In general it's been a succesful preseason. I think I've assembled a squad that should be able to complete for promotion this season. We are a bit thin on the ground and I'm really hoping to avoid any serious injuries because this could be our main stumbling block.

I've also made the point of not making wholesale changes to the squad so that I keep some harmony and familiarity from the players. I've been caught out before when I've come in and stripped a squad so didn't intend to make that mistake here considering promotions is a must

First up in the league is a home game against Fingal. Let's hope we can make a winning start

Good luck in Ireland.

Thats some good work in Wales. I only Managed in Wales for 4 seasons but enjoyed it. I just found LLanelli ans TNS had so much more money than me that I couldn't compete for players with them. Who was your biggest rival while managing in Wales?

Cheers guys. We're top after 22 games and in the League Cup semi final so it's looking like we'll get promotion at the first time of asking if we can keep up this form

@WH - It was TNS who were toughest for me as well. They always had the advantage because of their massive crowds compared to me. And I never really tried to compete in the transfer market with them. My strategy was to pick up talented U21 players on frees so if I had to I could sell them off at a profit.

The main problem I had was when we turned professional. The gates receipts just couldn't cover the weekly expenditure on wages and we ended up losing about £250k a season. That was the main reason I decided to leave the club

All being well I'll get this season finished tonight so should know whether Derry are back where they belong in the Premier League

2020 End of season report

===================

League Table - It was a neck and neck battle with Galway all season for the top spot but unfortunately too many draws meant that we were 4 points short of pipping them for the title and we finished in second place. Despite this disappointment the team managed to have enough about it to beat Shelbourne and then Shamrock Rovers in the play-offs to gain promotion to the Premier League at the first time of asking

League Cup - Really wasn't expecting to do anything in the cups this year and to be honest the cup runs were probably the main reason we had so many draws in the league. Despite this, you can't really complain too much when you win a major cup

Senior Challenge Cup - Again a major surprise here as we reached the final. We didn't quite have enough to win this game against Premier League Waterford Utd as they beat us in a tight 3-2 games

Star Player - Jay Wallace. A brilliant season for the striker who was constantly being linked with other clubs and was constantly on and off the transfer list due to his desire to play at a higher level. I'm hoping now that he'll be happy playing in the Premier League and will stop his moaning

Conclusion

========

Couldn't really have asked for much more for my first season at Derry City getting to two cup finals and gaining promotion. I do feel that the squad will need a bit of strengthening for next season if I'm going to challenge for the title so I'll do my usual technique of looking for talented free transfers that will do this. Another pleasing aspect of this season is that we managed to make nearly £500k profit. If we can continue this trend then I'll be improving training and youth facilities at the earliest opportunity

Bring on the Premier League!!

*Update*

Declared an interest in the job - Fans not happy

Applied for job - Board not happy

Given the chance to resign by the board - Resigned

Offered Newcastle job - Accepted

So I'm now Newcastle manager as they sit rock bottom of the Championship and 5 points from safety with 15 games to go. I get the feeling this is going to be one hell of a challenge but I'm up for it

2020/21 End of season report - Newcastle

===============================

Joining the club whilst they were second from bottom and 5 points from safety with 31 games played was a gamble but in the end a gamble that paid off. With 10 wins from the final 15 games we managed to finished in a comfortable position of 14th.

This really is a club in dire straights though. The club is hemorrhaging money with a wage budget of £68,059 per week but a wage bill of £524,928 per week!!

We are paying the likes of an elderly James Milner, Craig Gardner and and Mark Noble upto £86,000 a week which is just ludicrous

As things stand the club is nearly £7m in the red, having already been bailed out to the tune of £4m by the board during my short time in charge. I said this could be one hell of a challenge and it looks like I was right!!

I'm being linked in the news with Celtic and Liverpool so if things get too bad, I could always desert a sinking ship ;)

Archived