[FM10] It's the journey, not the arrival, that matters...

iacovone

Game Setup:

10.2 patch

Large Database

Leagues Loaded:

China, Sth Korea, Mexico, USA, England, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Holland, Portugal, Russia, Scotland, Spain, Australia, Argentina, Brazil. (all divisions loaded except England which is down to League 2 = 44 leagues)

I have started as an unemployed manager with automatic reputation. I am my Bulgarian alter ego 'Krassimir Rankov' in this game :D. The ultimate plan is to manage Tottenham but that is a long way off right now because as of this moment I am the new manager of Chinese Super League side Changsha Ginde :cool:.

I intend to play using LLM guidelines for the first time. So the job centre will be key for my backroom staff collection. I will be relying on my staff and the newspapers for potential signings and intend to follow a career I would myself. That means this Changsha Ginde stint could be short (but they were the first offer on the table!).

Career Summary:

Season     Club        GP    W    D    L    GF    GA    DIF
-----------------------------------------------------------
2009      Changsha    19    4    9    6    30    32    -2
2010      Changsha    13    2    4    7    12    25    -13
TOTAL     Changsha    32    6    13   13   42    57    -15

Season    Club          League        Country    Position (of)  |     Achievements     |
----------------------------------------------------------------|----------------------|
2009     Changsha    Super League     China     13th (16)      |                      |
2010     Changsha    Super League     China     16th (16)      | Resigned 11 games in |

281px-Changsha_ginde_fc.svg.png

Chairman Zhang Peng threw a whopping £1000 per week at me for my first job in football, but gave me til December 2010 to prove my worth. Understandable given the complete absence of a professional CV within football. I've hit the jackpot in that respect but the job in hand appears tough.

The facilities are average and there is a totally empty trophy cabinet. However we are a top flight side and on the face of it look as if we have some semblance of a good squad. We sit 14th out of 16 though and are just a point off the relegation zone (2 go down). The only expectation is that we avoid relegation. I have £12.5k wage budget and £195k to spend.

My plan is to play a very attacking 4-4-2 and take the league by storm. I only have half a season to survive and I need to make it memorable!

281px-Changsha_ginde_fc.svg.png

Changsha Ginde - 2009 Season

Well its been a tough first 6 months in management, but I'm pleased to say I've come out the other side all in one piece.

Chinese Super League

I joined Changsha with the club languishing one spot above the relegation zone. We had half the season to play with the only demand that we stay in the top flight. The wage budget was tight but I had just under £200k to spend, which in China can go far.

The start of my tenure was tough, I employed a new assistant, who knew nothing about our squad but being a Cantonese speaker, was charged with conducting my press conferences until I learnt the language. We didn't have a single scout at the club so the maximum of 3 allowed were snapped up asap.

We drew our first game with high flying Guangzhou 1-1 which looked promising but this turned into a 6 game winless run, accumulating just 3 points.

Amazingly our first win came away at top of the table Shenhua 4-3 and we followed this up with our first home win over Chongqing. From here our season was predictably up and down but we just about kept our heads above water, maintaining our position of 14th all the way up to the penultimate game of the season where we moved to our finishing position of 13th.

The Players and Transfers

I inherited a very imbalanced squad at Changsha, we had no recognisable left back, a crippled left winger (out for 8 months) and a lacklustre spine. My immediate concern was to find a left back and some more adept defenders. My scouts had been busy in the 3 weeks before the opening of the Chinese transfer window and I managed to spread my transfer budget to the acquisition of 7 players.

Zhou Ting was signed from Beijing for £50k to play at left back (though equally adept at RB). I raided the free transfers for Brazilian striker Gilsinho and centre back Bian Jun. On the left wing Wang Xiaolong was signed from Shandong for £75k (which turned out to be the most I'd spend on an individual). Three others were signed for tiny amounts. I chose not to sell anybody as with injuries I needed the squad at their max.

My star man in my tenure thus far would have to be South Korean Kim Eun-Joong who scored 17 in 26 over the season. Gilsinho impressed but got injured for a month whilst fellow Brazilian Jefferson Feijao did a sterling job on the right wing.

Other than that the only player to note was Zambian Billy Mwanza. He is the best centre back at the club but tore his calf muscle just a couple of weeks after I arrived. Therefore I've seen little of him but will be delighted to welcome him back next year.

The Plan

So far so good at Changsha as I maintained my side of the bargain by keeping them up. I have a full season on my contract now to see what I can do with this side. We were predicted to go down this year so it'll be intriguing to see what the media make of our chances next year.

I need to balance the books a little over the break as we are £250k in the red following a £300k squad payout for their performance this season. So based on this I anticipate selling/releasing a few of the reserves.

My plan is to definitely have this season with them and then take it from there. If I'm offered a new contract I'll have to assess the board's ambition and what I feel I can achieve in China.

Season    Club          League        Country    Position (of)  |  Achievements
----------------------------------------------------------------|--------------
2009     Changsha    Super League     China     13th (16)      |              

Well I've been offered a year extension on my contract, which I negotiated to include a £200 p/w improvement on my current salary.

So I'm now on £1,200k p/w with the deal to end in December 2011. Time to find some permanent accomodation :D

Good luck with your new monster career iacovone. :thup:

There have been some good regens coming out of China in my game so far so it's a good place to start - only thing is you can't do Bosman deals there so the wheeling and dealing aspect is reduced a bit...

Any ideas on where else you would like to stop on the road to White Hart Lane?

Good luck with your new monster career iacovone. :thup:

There have been some good regens coming out of China in my game so far so it's a good place to start - only thing is you can't do Bosman deals there so the wheeling and dealing aspect is reduced a bit...

Any ideas on where else you would like to stop on the road to White Hart Lane?

I'll be honest, I possibly overestimated the power of my laptop :o. All these leagues are putting a serious strain on the processor!

Well at the moment I'm learning the ropes in China. From here I'd like to move to either Australia or the US just to experience an unfamiliar league. Then ideally I'll enter a smaller European nation like perhaps Belgium. Hopefully by this time my reputation will be large enough to entertain offers from the bigger clubs so maybe a stint at Standard Liege before looking for a real big name side.

That is all on the assumption the computer can handle this save!

Good luck Iacovone, will be following this career too. :thup:

How many saves do you have on the go at the moment? :eek:

C.

I know its getting a little out of hand. I keep getting tempted by pastures new! Though at the moment my Gundo and Big Euro save are well on the back burner. The main focus is this save but I'll keep Malta ticking over as well!

What's that, four saves then Iacovone? ;)

I suppose Malta has pretty short seasons to work through at least. :thup:

How do you stay on top of them all? Play a season of one and then move on to the next one?

I know what you mean about getting tempted. I'm always thinking of new ideas for saves, especially once I have got really into my current save. :rolleyes:

C.

Ha that's always the way! Well I'm not playing either my Castillo or NK Gosk saves so they are just sitting and waiting for me. I've not played the Malta save since starting this career, so I guess I'll keep plugging away with this until my enthusiasm wanes and then switch back to Malta. I would consider this my 'main' save right now though :)

How decent is your computer? If I remember correctly, you have a laptop similar to mine (Dual Core 1.66GHz, 3GB RAM)?

I've found after some testing that saves tend to slow down up to around 30% over 30 years, with the most slow down occurring during the first decade. It's not very scientific, I just ran a few different combinations over 30 years and tested the speed as it ran, however it might give you some idea about how it will slow down.

C.

From my experience in China (:D), Changsha are one of mid-table clubs in the Super League. The 'big 4' of the Super League are Shenhua, Beijing, Shandong, and the 4th club varies from time to time, usually seeing Chanba, Changchun, or Tianjin. Hope you can get Changsha to the Champions League during your stay. :thup:

China's a nice place to manage, just don't declare in other jobs too much. The Chinese aren't that patient with foreigners. ;)

Try to keep your squad to 4 foreigners, since that's the max for the starting XI allowed in the Champions League.

How decent is your computer? If I remember correctly, you have a laptop similar to mine (Dual Core 1.66GHz, 3GB RAM)?

I've found after some testing that saves tend to slow down up to around 30% over 30 years, with the most slow down occurring during the first decade. It's not very scientific, I just ran a few different combinations over 30 years and tested the speed as it ran, however it might give you some idea about how it will slow down.

C.

That's interesting Crouchy thanks. Your memory is not far wrong. It is a dual core 1.66Hz but the RAM is just 1gb IIRC. Not ideal but so far its been running ok. I'm not too fussed about electric speed, so long as its manageable (which it is at the moment). I'm trying to envisage a 30% reduction in speed now :D. Wasn't there a custom made application for FM08 (?) that was supposed to speed up long term saves by 'cleaning' them? Don't think I'm imagining it!

From my experience in China (:D), Changsha are one of mid-table clubs in the Super League. The 'big 4' of the Super League are Shenhua, Beijing, Shandong, and the 4th club varies from time to time, usually seeing Chanba, Changchun, or Tianjin. Hope you can get Changsha to the Champions League during your stay. :thup:

China's a nice place to manage, just don't declare in other jobs too much. The Chinese aren't that patient with foreigners. ;)

Try to keep your squad to 4 foreigners, since that's the max for the starting XI allowed in the Champions League.

The advice is appreciated Rancer! We are definitely a lower-midtable club, one that I hope to take into the top 4 in my two years here. The foreigner limit is a little frustrating but I've sorted my squad out now to accommodate my Brazilians! Annoyingly my chairman sold off South Korean ace Lee Sang-Il for £450k to Tianjin. He'd missed all of last season with damaged cruciate ligaments and I was eagerly awaiting his return! Alas...

I think that there was some kind of cleaning tool made for an earlier version. I've never used it though and I'm not sure how reliable it is.

I'm pretty sure that there is a way you can delete temporary files from the save yourself, which reduces save size and may increase speed. But I've no idea how to do it! Something to do with deleting files from a 'temp' file. Ring any bells?

C.

I think that there was some kind of cleaning tool made for an earlier version. I've never used it though and I'm not sure how reliable it is.

I'm pretty sure that there is a way you can delete temporary files from the save yourself, which reduces save size and may increase speed. But I've no idea how to do it! Something to do with deleting files from a 'temp' file. Ring any bells?

C.

Nope :D

Ah well I'll cross that bridge if/when I come to it :).

I wouldn't worry too much about the speed. I've got Dual Core 2ghz and 2GB ram and the game set-up gave me just 1 star for game speed but it's been fine so far (near the end of the 4th season now) - if it slows right down, extra ram is always an option. ;)

Having said that, last night when I returned to my Big Euro save with just the one league, the days between matches really seemed to zip by! :D

Brazil may slow you down due to the state championships and England has extra cups (I only loaded the top two to cut out all those lower league cups) but most of the countries you loaded only have a few competitions so you should be fine. :thup:

Changsha Ginde - 2010 Pre-Season News

Transfers

The big news of the off season was the departure of Lee Sang-Il. My chairman sold him off over my head to league rivals Tianjin for a sizeable £450k. Now on paper this was a huge loss but given the fact that injuries had meant he hadn't made an appearance for me last season, I could shrug it off. At least the bank balance has been improved after a fixture-less 4 months.

Other outgoing players were touted about to whoever would take them as I had to relieve the rather strained wage bill. This meant three midfielders would leave the club for a fee, totalling a £575k income from transfers.

I bought just two players for a paltry £10.5k but I'm hopeful that they will both add value to the squad. We have a new striker to add competition up top, hailing from Nigeria, rescued from Ninh Binh in Vietnam, he goes by the name of Timothy Anjembe. From what I can see he is a deadly finisher.

Zheng Kewei was brought into to strengthen the spine of the team. He can play in CM but I am retraining him to play CB as he has excellent marking, tackling and heading. I anticipate him to be the more influencial signing as at 30 years of age he can hopefully instil some steel to my Changsha side.

Overall I think I've had a good transfer window. I reduced the wage bill by shedding some dead wood and made two good signings. I'd have liked to have brought more faces in but I was restrained by my tiny wage budget unfortunately.

Well 5 games into the new season and we're still winless (bar the FA Cup 1st Round win). This is proving tougher than expected and anything I try right now is failing.

China may prove to be too tough a starting post at this rate! Going to have a tinker with the tactics and see what I can do because at the moment this 4-4-2 with high wingers just isn't paying dividends :thdn:.

Sounds like a tough start.

What do you think it is, the quality of the players or that you need to adjust the tactics to the country you are managing in?

What system do most other sides use in your league? Maybe just try a flat 4-4-2 and keep it simple for a while?

If you have a poor side, you could try play a little more direct as well.

C.

Tough to say. A lot of the Chinese sides play 3-5-2 which is a little unusual imo. Seemingly 4-4-2 is old news here as it is most definitely not working (as I type we're 3-0 down at Guangzhou who are also without a win) :(.

Need to majorly overhaul the tactics now, I'm in danger of losing the dressing room. My attacking players are good players, its just the defenders who worry me. My converted DM to CB doesn't seem to be taking to the position as well as I'd hoped :thdn:

That might be part of the problem then, if you are playing 4-4-2 and the others are playing 3-5-2.

3-5-2 can still be quite common in countries where 4-4-2 also rules the roost.

Why not try withdrawing a striker and playing 4-4-1-1. Alternatively, switch to another 4-5-1 variation, like 4-2-3-1 or the 4-1-4-1/4-3-3 style formation. It might improve things for you.

Sorry if this is considered 'tipping' as I've just remember that you are playing LLM rules. :o

C.

Well to be honest I think the LLM thing was more a fanciful dream :(

Tactical discussions ftw!

I'm going to try an even more elaborate formation. The 3-2-3-2 formation :D. I've made it fluid, creative and direct. First game approaching and its at home to 12th placed Shenzhen. Quite clearly these are the games I have to win to have a hope of staying up.

EDIT: WE WON!! 1-0 win. Even kept a clean sheet. It was a strange one, they had 61% possession but didn't carve out a single CCC. We created 3 with just 39% possession. Both had the same number of shots. Could this be the start of something beautiful?

Resignation.

22nd May 2010 saw me resign from my post at Changsha Ginde following a dreadful start to the season. Our record was 1-4-6 and we were 3 points from safety already. With no real sign of turning round our fortunes I thought it would be better to jump than be pushed. Though, thinking about my totally unambitious board I doubt I'd have been sacked.

Nevertheless resignation it was and now I'm hunting for my next job in the game. With a very poor managerial record thus far I don't expect much, but hopefully away from China, an unhappy first stomping ground.

Changsha Career

Season     Club        GP    W    D    L    GF    GA    DIF
2009      Changsha    19    4    9    6    30    32    -2
2010      Changsha    13    2    4    7    12    25    -13
TOTAL     Changsha    32    6    13   13   42    57    -15

Hmmm. I think I'm going to end the career here actually :(. The speed of the game is proving to be a real problem. Coupled with my 4 months without a job offer and I think this could be it.

I want to get a good career going but with longevity which requires a smaller loaded leagues structure. Sorry to frustrate any followers for opening another thread but I don't think this is playable in the long term. I'm going to load up half the leagues I did this time in the new game. Apologies.

Sad to hear iacovone. Although with only 1 GB ram, I don't think you can load a lot of leagues (around 15-20 would be pushing it already).

Best of luck though with your new career.

Thanks it should be 23 leagues in the next career. Just about do-able I hope!

Archived