Developing youngsters

What do people think benefits an 18-year-old promising player, whose at a big club, most:

- Staying at the club and enjoying the top facilities; playing for the reserves and very sparingly for the senior team.

- Going on loan to a lower division club where the facilities are not so good but he can play regularly.

It is proven that the reputation of a club plays a role in the player's development.

Thus, a player will benefit more from staying and being given the occasional appearance in the first team than from being a regular at a L2 or L1 club with a low reputation. If a Championship club of some fair stature comes in for him for a loan move, then that might be better then.

In general, I tend to keep my youngsters unless they would hardly stand a chance to get any appearance at the age of 19 as any loan could do more harm than just keeping him. On a balance of risks, that seems to be the smaller risk to me.

He got a lot of interest when i "Offered to clubs" with a view to a loan deal. Some big, big foreign clubs wanted to take him on, and some Championship/lower end Premier League clubs too. One of those clubs were Ajax, who said he could act as cover for their first team. Given their facilities, and the fact that they were willing to give him some role in the senior squad, i negotiated a 6 month deal with the possibility of him being recalled at any point. I figure i can monitor his situation and playing time; then if it isn't enough i can pull the plug and he can get the odd sub appearance with us.

He's good, but i'm not sure he'd make regular appearances if he stayed with us. If he isn't getting a substantial amount of time at Ajax i'll recall him though as he may as well stay here and play the odd minutes for us.

What do people think benefits an 18-year-old promising player, whose at a big club, most:

- Staying at the club and enjoying the top facilities; playing for the reserves and very sparingly for the senior team.

- Going on loan to a lower division club where the facilities are not so good but he can play regularly.

I usually just play them fairly regularly and hope they develope/ aren't a liability.

Hasn't backfired too badly yet.

Archived