Clubs not taking the FA Cup seriously

The 5th round of the FA cup has just passed there were a few upsets so i had a look at the team sheets and it appears a number of the premiership clubs aren't starting there first team even when playing against premier leauge oppisiton.

A few examples:

Liverpool went out to Villa. Liverpool started players such as Matthew McGiveron, Martin Kelly, Damien Plessis, Chris Mavinga, Jay Spearing, El Zahr, Adam Pepper, Dalla Valle and Christopher Buchtmann. They did even name any of the 1st team squad on the bench in case it went wrong. Also Villa started such players as David De Gea, Stephen O'Halloran, Barry Bannan and Isiah Osbourne.

Manu beat Sunderland 3-0 playing there backups which isnt suprising. But Sunderland started there backups aswell like frazier campbell, Jack Colback, Jordan Henderson, Roy O'Donovan and Russel Anderson. You would think Sunderland would start there first team as this competition might get them into europe and be there only chance of silverwear.

Chelseas also managed to beat a decent Spurs team 1-0 starting Kady, Nana Ofori-Twumasi, Sam Hutchinson, Carl Magnay, Ross Turnball and Franco Di Santo

Has this been happening on anyone elses games?

The 5th round of the FA cup has just passed there were a few upsets so i had a look at the team sheets and it appears a number of the premiership clubs aren't starting there first team even when playing against premier leauge oppisiton.

A few examples:

Liverpool went out to Villa. Liverpool started players such as Matthew McGiveron, Martin Kelly, Damien Plessis, Chris Mavinga, Jay Spearing, El Zahr, Adam Pepper, Dalla Valle and Christopher Buchtmann. They did even name any of the 1st team squad on the bench in case it went wrong. Also Villa started such players as David De Gea, Stephen O'Halloran, Barry Bannan and Isiah Osbourne.

Manu beat Sunderland 3-0 playing there backups which isnt suprising. But Sunderland started there backups aswell like frazier campbell, Jack Colback, Jordan Henderson, Roy O'Donovan and Russel Anderson. You would think Sunderland would start there first team as this competition might get them into europe and be there only chance of silverwear.

Chelseas also managed to beat a decent Spurs team 1-0 starting Kady, Nana Ofori-Twumasi, Sam Hutchinson, Carl Magnay, Ross Turnball and Franco Di Santo

Has this been happening on anyone elses games?

On the contrary, I think big clubs play too much of a strong side in the F.A Cup, and especially in the League Cup. I have found Man Utd and Chelsea playing a full first team, or very close to it in the League Cup against teams like Peterborough and Swindon.

Playing as Cardiff I beat Liverpool and Chelsea first teams in the Semis and Final of the League Cup in my second season - no second string/youth players in their squads at all for those matches and I did find that quite odd - only played two seasons and have gotten knocked out of the FA Cup fairly early by crap teams anyway so can't say anything about that.

Think I've mentioned this before, but I think that clubs see the cup competitions the wrong way around. I've seen the top 4 play their first team in the League Cup and youth in the FA Cup.

This.

Ive mentioned it before aswell. I hope this gets sorted out soon.

This.

Ive mentioned it before aswell. I hope this gets sorted out soon.

Would this not be directly affected by the competition reputation? I've not looked in the editor, but I assume/hope the FA Cup has a higher than reputation than the League Cup.

Would this not be directly affected by the competition reputation? I've not looked in the editor, but I assume/hope the FA Cup has a higher than reputation than the League Cup.

It is quite substantially higher but it doesnt seem to have much effect

Normally Big teams play terrible sides on the Carling Cup, Mediocre sides in the 3rd round, and then past that.. they play their usual first teams, probably with 1 or 2 players usually being back up, are in the starting 11. But nothing major :thup:

Nottingham Forest won the FA Cup in the first season of a game I started with Millwall last week! The semi finalists were Forest, West Brom, Cardiff and Sunderland.

How ridiculous is that?

It's not THAT bad. A couple of years ago both West Brom (I think) and Cardiff made it to the semis, with Cardiff winning. They then played Portsmoth in the final, with Portsmoth winning.

I believe it's down to preferred manager moves in the editor. There is an option for plays youngsters in unimportant cup competitions.

I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine what is defined as unimportant would be in relation to a 2 things.

1. Competition reputation compared with Manager/club reputation

2. Related to what the board sets as expectations for the competition.

With regards to point 2, the board may expect a team to reach the 5th round of the FA Cup, so the team will play it's strongest team up to this point, after which, the competition becomes 'unimportant' and clubs start to field weaker/younger teams.

I have noticed things like this in other leagues as well while holiday testing. This feature works great for everythign I've added in the game (extra cups in Poland, major teams put on like 9 U19 players in first round, playing full potential in quarter finals, I noticed it because I added a rule for minimum 5 U21 player in match squad). But seems like with the FA Cup it's messed up, and I doubt anyone wants to remake the English leagues just for this :p

It's not THAT bad. A couple of years ago both West Brom (I think) and Cardiff made it to the semis, with Cardiff winning. They then played Portsmoth in the final, with Portsmoth winning.

West Brom played Pompey in the semi and Cardiff played Barnsley in the other so I guess you're right. But that was the first time that sort of scenario had happened in a long long time.

West Brom played Pompey in the semi and Cardiff played Barnsley in the other so I guess you're right. But that was the first time that sort of scenario had happened in a long long time.

Agreed, something like this hasn't happened in any of my seasons on FM10.

Even if you say the odds of it happening are 5000/1 (which I think the odds would actually be lower), theoretically all it would take is 5000 people playing one season and it would occur.

And as there are hundreds of thousands of people playing many seasons, the chances of it happening are a lot higher.

Archived