[FM10] The Light is Darkest before the Dawn

Saxonaitor

I'm back everyone! *groans*

Welcome to my second career on Football Manager 2010.

Most of you should remember me from when this forum was first started when I pioneered the idea set in motion by Raware, a career thread. This thread became a home for me for the next few months and still can be found here, my United Kingdom Journey. My next venture at a career was to be in Italy, where the not as succesful but equally enjoyable A Tale Of Two Saxons. Please dont be afraid to check these timeless classics out.

Now on to this adventure then, my leagues are as follows;

All Leagues Loaded from:

Australia

China

England: (Down to Regional First Division)

France

Germany

Hong Kong

Ireland

Italy

Japan

Netherlands

Northern Ireland

Portugal

Russia

Scotland

South Africa

South Korea

Spain

Wales

Database: 10.1.1 Large

Edits:

Included a few people (family, freinds etc) with random stats

Starting Reputation: Sunday League Footballer

The Light is Darkest just before the Dawn will be played in a LLM style and the rules of a LLM style game are:

* All tactics will be my own creations, not downloaded or copied from anyone else

* All training plans will also be my creations, again with no downloads or copies

* No use of any downloadable cheat programs (FM Scout, that kind of thing)

* I won't be going near the player search screen, as there is no equivalent to this in the real world

* I will only sign players found by my scouts, or who I would know about in game (ie. I've played against them, I've been linked to them by the media)

* Most importantly, I will be basing my decisions in game on what I would do in real life. So if a club offers to double my salary in a new job, chances are I'll take it. Likewise, if I'm offered a job in the Brazilian lower leagues, the money will have to be amazing for me to even consider it!

Credit to lollujo for those :)

I am starting unemployed and holidaying a season just to add to some realism. Upon that seaosn being over I shall begin my epic quest.

Good day to you all

Saxonaitor

World Cup
                       ~~~~~~~~~~
        Winners      Finalists      3rd Place     Hosts
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2010 -    Italy        England       Argentina     South Africa          
2014 -

European Championship
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
           Winners      Finalists      3rd Place      Hosts
             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2012 -
2016 -

Afan Lido

Afan-Lido.png

Well that didnt take long at all! After seeing Afan Lido sitting in the Welsh top flight managerless I took pity on them and applied. They accept me on a 140 pound contract until 2012. The squad needs some working but I have 2000 pounds to sort that out and get me some backroom staff. Looks a challenge to be sure but it seems that its not an impossible task.

Squad

Brian Thomas - Best Player (I think)

I'm back everyone! *groans*

Welcome to my second career on Football Manager 2010.

Most of you should remember me from when this forum was first started when I pioneered the idea set in motion by Raware, a career thread. This thread became a home for me for the next few months and still can be found here, my United Kingdom Journey. My next venture at a career was to be in Italy, where the not as succesful but equally enjoyable A Tale Of Two Saxons. Please dont be afraid to check these timeless classics out.

Do you realise how cringy that first paragraph reads :D

What was your starting rep Sax? Wales should be interesting, not managed there myself

Sunday League Footballer, its in the opening post now, thanks for reminding me iacovone.

Do you realise how cringy that first paragraph reads :D

How would it sound less cringy? I cant see any problem with it to be honest.

Good luck with the career Saxonaitor. It will be interesting to see where your career takes you? Do you have any specific plans of where you want to manage down the line or will you just take the jobs wherever they come up?

I would want to manage prehaps in South Africa, Australia, China, Hong Kong, Ireland or Holland. Somewhere different for me. I'm here for the ride.

Norwich City would be my dream job however. :)

In game news just played my first freindly, a 3-0 win against Abbey Hey gives me a good start but i'm expected an absolute thrashing by Fulham, no doubt. :)

World Cup 2010 South Africa

Group Stages:

Group A: Honduras New Zealand

Group B: Ivory Coast USA

Group C: South Africa North Korea

Group D: Algeria Costa Rica

Group E: Cameroon Australia

Group F: Mexico Denmark

Group G: Japan Tunisia

Group H: South Korea Chile

Second Round:

Serbia 1-3 Italy

Argentina 3-0 Slovakia

Paraguay p2-2 The Netherlands

Greece 1-3 Portugal

Switzerland 1-0 Spain

Brazil 1-0 Ghana

France 2-1 Germany

England e2-1 Ukraine

Quarter Finals:

Italy e2-1 Portugal

Argentina 4-2 Paraguay

Switzerland 2-2p England

Brazil 0-2 France

Semi Finals:

Italy 2-0 France

Argentina 2-2p England

Third Place Playoff:

France 2-3 Argentina

Final:

Italy 3-1 England

I swear my game is not corrupt!

Hi sax,

I found managing in wales quite fun in my 09 save. The only problem i had was teams like TNS and Llanelli had so much more wage buget than me. They could pay players 3 times as much as i was allowed, so it made it hard to compete with them for players. I got so i was nearly there but just couldn't break them. I did only manage in wales for 4 years before i moved on though. You may find Neath are quite good too, if my current game is anything to go by.

Good luck :thup:

Pre Season Report:

Bookies: 2000-1 for the title.

Media: 16th (17th and 18th get relagated)

12 new faces enter Afan Lido as they prepare for an epic struggle in the Welsh top flight. Most of these are unknown younger players. The only prehaps reconaisable name could be Ramon Calliste. Interestingly enough however, I stumpled on my old left winger from Havant & Waterlooville from FM09, Tony Taggart. The squad has a compleatly changed with only 2 players keeping their places. Finances are $50,000 in the white which in all my years playing this game I have never had such a clean slab to work from.

Pre Season Friendlies:

Afan Lido 3-0 Abbey Mey

Afan Lido 0-7 Fulham :)

Afan Lido 3-0 New Mills

Afan Lido 0-9 Sunderland :)

Afan Lido 1-3 Bury Town

A disapointing 3-1 loss to Bury Town the stand out here. Fulham and Sunderland were money makers only really and Abbey Mey and New Mills were confidence boosters. Bury got two goals in the first 20 minutes which really sealed our fate there. We staged a valiant comeback in the second half but could only find the 1 goal for our efforts.

TNS for Afan Lido's opener for the Premier League. They should be a stern test for us and me, I have to see what i'm going to up against in the league.

Ramon Calliste? Wondered where he went, last I heard he failed to get a contract at Staines. Shame he destroyed his career by trying to play through an injury which has now permanently damaged his progress. Still, it's FM so he should be able to do a job. Good Luck.

Friday 13th August 2010,

Why any league would want to start on Friday 13th is a mystery to me, but I found myself booked against TNS on that day. Tactics were much as they had been throughout the friendlies, a standard 4-4-2. My plan was to utilise the wingers much as possible going forward and crossing it into the box. Central midfield would act as the passers to the wide men and the men up front, hopefuly giving them through balls and the like. TNS finished 2nd in the league last year, so I knew that a tough game was ahead of us and add the fact that we were away from home made this game hard to see us coming away with points in any form.

Tactics

Final Score at Park Hall Stadium, Oswestry

TNS 0-0 Afan Lido

A really drab match to start of my season. Neither team had many chances which conseqently made the match mainly a midfield battle for possesion. A goal disallowed each further added to my fustration as I constantly saw passes end up out of touch or going away to TNS. Micheal Branch had prehaps the best chance of the game on 0 minutes and 26 seconds but saw his shot wide of the goal. At that time I had to make sure my eyes were working as I had literally blinked to find us in the penalty area straight from kick off. Lianelli next in what looks to be another tough match.

Tuesday 17th August 2010,

I was in high spirits following our away draw with TNS but looking at the fixture list made me want to cry, Lianelli away in the Loosemores Cup. What makes this fixture evan worse is that Lianelli are our feirce rivals. I was doomed from the start it seemed. Unless a miracle occured. decided to rest a few players that might not have enough fitness to do both games this week. Ramon Calliste starts up front with Paul McQuade this time and my assistant manager who funnily enough is most skilled (in attributes wise) goes to central midfield.

Final Score at Stebonheath Park, Lianelli

Loosemores League Cup Grp A

Lianelli (Thomas 30) 1-0 Afan Lido (Harrington Off 81)

If Lianelli and TNS are the top of welsh football, i'm already half way towords that league trophy already. Pleased with the performance of the lads all around but our troubles seem to lie in the final third of the pitch. Its almost as if witches have put an invisible wall around the box that only comes away on free kicks and corners, its that bad. The Looseores Cup means squat to me to be perfectly honest i'm going to fully concentrate on the league this year.

Saturday 21st August 2010,

Our weekend game saw the arrival of Bangor City to the Marstons Stadium. Our squad morale was in the pits it seemed, and I was curious on what had caused it. Was it the loss to arch rivals Lianelli? There was no doubt about my intentions for this weekend however, I wanted the three points. Optimistic I know but I wanted to capitalise on our good performances against TNS and Lianelli to spear us into gettin g the three points. Up front today Danny Kelly (Former Norwich Academy player) and Paul McQuade started up fornt, with Micheal Branch moving to right midfield.

Final Score at The Marstons Stadium, Port Talbot

Afan Lido (McQuade 70) 1-0 Bangor City

It's always nice to see that first real counting goal hit the back of the net, and when Danny Kelly put the pass through past the goalie for Paul McQuade to simply pass it into the net it was a great moment. Not only did it seal the three points but it capped of an impressive performance from all areas. While it was a bit hit and miss from our defence in the first half (two balls cleared off the line!) we all put together and made the day ours to cherise.

Tuesday 24th August 2010,

My 13th signing this summer is argubly my best, Ryan Noble has great pace for the division and top that off with good dribbling and finshing he could be a class poacher. My Loosemores cup match this week was against another fierce rival. Theres 3 teams in my group, and they both are my fierce rivals :(. A good result here however would propel our chances of reaching the next round. Ryan Noble started alongside Paul McQuade up front.

Final Score at The Marstoons Stadium, Port Talbot :)

Afan Lido (Smith 37) 1-0 Port Talbot (Bansor off 41)

A few squeaky moments was overshadowed by dominace in the fixture. Jordan Smith put us ahead after 37 dominant minutes and when Gary Bansor was sent off for pulling down Ryan Noble after he was clear through it was all over. Ryan certainly looks the buisness in the speed department, able to fire through defences. I don't he is Smylie quality however but you never know. On to the League!

Saturday 28th August 2010,

I may have made a few to many transfers. I'm struggling to see a place now for Ramon Calliste and Pietro Palladino. However now I think Danny Kelly is falling out of my favour rapidly so Ramon Calliste will be my next choice. Palladino is only 17 as well and a more than suitable back up for Branch at right midfield. Welshpool away were my next fixture and I felt like I could grab another 3 points to add to a very convincing start to the top level of the Welsh football tree.

Final Score at Maesdyre, Welshpool

Welshpool (Rogers 28, 38) 2-1 Afan Lido (Calliste 84)

It was one of those days i'm afraid. Passes kept going out, shots were minimal and Welshpool had a great game. It didn't help that Paul Mcquade left the field after 8 minutes and he will be out for the next 2-3 weeks with a broken nose. The Welsh weather must really be affecting MIcheal Branch, he hit a lobbed pass backwards right into the path of Welshpool's Rogers to score their 2nd goal and ultimatley seal our fate. Ramon Calliste impressed with a very good goal on his first league appearence and looks to have leapfroged Danny Kellp in my selections. He may evan start in the next match.

Saturday 11th September 2010,

Over a week without a fixture and I would hope that we would be better for it. With 13 new signings i'm not expecting an immeadiate impact as the effect I call the "Sky Blue Syndrome" :D. I'm know who my first team is and bar a few positions I have adequate replacements for all positions. However the squad could still be improved as a left back, right back and goalie could help our defence. With no Loosemores Cup game in the mid week once again we were set for the arrival of Carmarthen. They were hovering just above the relagation zone I knew this is one the games we have to win if we want to stay in the top flight.

Final Score from The Marston's Stadium, Port Talbot

Afan Lido (Taggart 37) 1-1 Carmarthen (Hicks 28)

We controlled the first half but we couldn't keep it up and were dogs to the opposition in the second. It could of been 2-0 inside 10 minutes, both Ryan Noble and Micheal Branch just firing wide of the target. It was desparing when fully against the run of play Mr Hicks snuck behind the defence and scored, slighty depressing even. However we stuck solid and when Branch's shot got rebounded Taggart made no mistake to make it 1-1. The second half was dominated by Carmarthen and we couldn't get the ball forward at all. I admit that we were lucky to escape with a point to be honest and that makes me annoyed just thinking that, so much more could of come out of this game.

And... I forget from all other updates

League Table

Wednesday 15th September 2010,

The Loosemores Cup is back! :( Lianelli were first up with Port Talbot were after. This match was going to be the do or die into getting into the next round and I didnt rate my chances highly. Paul McQuade was back however and his presence alone always seems to bost the team, prehaps a miracle was about to happen...

Afan Lido (Branch 44) 1-4 Lianelli (Evans 51, Frater 65, 82, Woodburn 84)

The gap in quality is outstanding. We took the lead after a great half against the Lianelli boys, with Noble running behind the defence the keeper rebounding his shot and Branch on hand to smash it in the back. We went in at half time on a high too be sure. We came out and got smashed :(. A great free kick followed by movements that would make Tooting & Mitcham shudder that got their 2nd 3rd and 4th. :D Mathmatically impossible to get out of the group now I belive, but I dont care, i'm actully kind of pleased.

Saturday 18th September 2010,

After the disencouraging loss against Lianelli, we had an away fixture against Connah's Quay. This was the first match on which we were declared by the media that we had a chance of walking away with 3 points, and I took that as a good omen towords victory. I walked in with my head held high, telling the team I expect a win.

Final Score at Deeside Stadium, Connah's Quay

Connah's Quay (Forde 65) 1-2 Afan Lido (McQuade 20, 49)

The sweet taste of victory! Fact file here as well, this is the first time this season I have scored more than 1 goal in a competitive match, and it was Paul McQuade who got them both. Both from just outside the area and peaches in their own right. This moves us up to 9th in the league and although my job isn't in danger if lifts pressure of me.

Tuesday 21st September 2010,

The useless cup was back, yes i'm talking about the Loosemores Cup. I'm trying to think of a good pun here but my mind escapes me, in fact its climbing out of the window as I speak :D. Port Talbot were my last fixture, and I wanted to get 6 points of 2 encountered with them. It would be all in vain however, as I previously mentioned i'm mathmatically screwed in terms of reaching the next round. Hooray for uselessness!

Final Score from The GenQuip Stadium, Port Talbot

Port Talbot (Phillips 31) 1-2 Afan Lido (Mills pen 43, Taggart 70)

A great comeback victory against rivals! I hope for a repeat when we meet in the league to be sure. A messy affair for Talbot's goal, deflections for a easy tap in. Our goals camefrom a central defender hitting home a penalty and Pietro Palladino beat his man to cross it in for Taggart to head home is 2nd for the season. Interestly however the 2nd goal came when I was on a defensive strategy. I kept that until the end of the game and it was amazing how much the ball was in the oppositions box. Lesson here is; Attack means Defend and Defend means Attack. Sneaky one programmers ;)

Saturday 25th September 2010,

Nearly at the end of September and I found out I could still be in the next round of the league cup. If Port Talbot beat Llanelli 5-0 or more i'm in. Funnily enough, i'm not counting on it :D. Prestatyn were my next opponents in the league scrouging around the relagation spots. Appartently they are in a middle of an injury crisis as well, easy pickings..

Final Score at The Marston's Stadium

Afan Lido (McQuade 25, Harrington pen 31, Noble 40) 3-0 Prestatyn

Easy pickings indeed. Half time we were 3-0 up and up against 10 men and the lads knew they could take it easy. Noble grabs his first goal of the campaign after 600 minutes of not scoring and it is a ?relif? to me and the rest of the team. McQuade hitting form with another goal, and 4th in the league \o/

League Table

People liking these? Any teams want followed, i'm already in 2nd season.

Ramon Calliste? Wondered where he went, last I heard he failed to get a contract at Staines. Shame he destroyed his career by trying to play through an injury which has now permanently damaged his progress. Still, it's FM so he should be able to do a job. Good Luck.

Calliste is at Bromley now.

Anyway, another good update thread Sax.

I like Afan Lido as well. My wife's family are originally from Port Talbot and so for that random reason, and also just because I just like their name, I have made Afan Lido my FM team in Wales. I've had a few decent games with them. :cool:

Looks like a decent start. Will be following. :thup:

C.

Saturday 2nd october 2010,

To my extreme suprise I was named Welsh manager of the month for September. The Welsh cup was next, the second round got me drawn against unknown side Bryntirion. An easy win most surely for us so I did a Arsene and fielded a reserve team pretty much to face the unknowns. 2 or 3 past them surely?

Afan Lido 0-3 Bryntirion (Berry 2, Joyce 45+1, Davies 59)

:(

That is all.

No in all honestly I feel like walking out of the club right now. Looked at the stats of both of their forwards. All 1's prety much expects for some physical and a couple of technical. 1st minute we are 1-0 down. Palladino gets sent off 30th minute. Half time it was 2-0. There seriously needs to be a team talk option along the lines of "What the **** is this??". Came out second half and a 30 meter piledriver knocked us out of the Welsh cup, sad times indeed.

Calliste is at Bromley now.

Anyway, another good update thread Sax.

I like Afan Lido as well. My wife's family are originally from Port Talbot and so for that random reason, and also just because I just like their name, I have made Afan Lido my FM team in Wales. I've had a few decent games with them. :cool:

Looks like a decent start. Will be following. :thup:

C.

I wonder why he's decided to come down to our neck of the woods.

Saturday 2nd october 2010,

To my extreme suprise I was named Welsh manager of the month for September. The Welsh cup was next, the second round got me drawn against unknown side Bryntirion. An easy win most surely for us so I did a Arsene and fielded a reserve team pretty much to face the unknowns. 2 or 3 past them surely?

Afan Lido 0-3 Bryntirion (Berry 2, Joyce 45+1, Davies 59)

:(

That is all.

No in all honestly I feel like walking out of the club right now. Looked at the stats of both of their forwards. All 1's prety much expects for some physical and a couple of technical. 1st minute we are 1-0 down. Palladino gets sent off 30th minute. Half time it was 2-0. There seriously needs to be a team talk option along the lines of "What the **** is this??". Came out second half and a 30 meter piledriver knocked us out of the Welsh cup, sad times indeed.

I know how you feel, I might resign from FC Canavese. The players are good enough they're just not performing.

Saturday 16th October 2010,

A day before returning from injury, Ibrahim Farah was called up to the Wales U/21's squad for a match against Malta. Whilst he didn't get picked for the match its always nice to see your players get that chance on the semi big scale. 4th place would play 5th in our next fixture, as Afan Lido went to Neath hoping for a point or 3. My league position is great at the moment but I always know it will only take a couple of losses to get me back into that relagation battle.

Final Score at The Gnoll, Neath

Neath (McCabe 33, Evans 74) 2-1 Afan Lido (McQuade 48)

In my perfect view the match should of ended a draw. Was pretty even stevens all the way through right up until the end. Another 30 yarder sealed it. Thats the only thing unrealistic I see at the moment, we get a premiership quality screamer every couple of games in the Welsh league???? In other news Nathan Ashton played a good solid debut at left back. This defeat drops us to 8th in the league, hoping to bounce back next weekend.

League Table

Tuesday 19th October 2010,

Annoyingly for me I was only given 3 days to prepare for my next fixture, which will happen over the rest of the month. This next fixture was against 2nd placed Caersws. I knew it would be tough but the media gave us some hope for it. Another boosting thing was that Ibrahaim Farah would start for a full match and hopefully make an immeadiate impact.

Final Score at Recreation Ground, Caersws

Caersws (Holt 24) 1-1 Afan Lido (Farah off 44, Noble 60)

What a game! We seemed to start on the front foot but as the half progressed Caersws got more in control and got their goal. Farah got a nice slap round the head coming in at half time with a red card to his name. I knew then it would be a hard battle to get a point. Changed around to a 4-3-2 and got a satisfying reward when Ryan Noble rolled the ball into the net after a brilliant pass. Proceded to shut up shop form there and nearly lost it dead on 90 minutes when Caersws hit the crossbar rebounded into my keeper arms! :o 7th now in the league.

Archived