Board ultimatums.

I was just wondering, has anyone ever given a board an ultimatum to give more money, improve training facilities etc, and they have given in and given you the money or granted to fund investing in the training facilities?

Everytime Ive asked, I get given the chance to resign or risk getting sacked! I just was thinking, if no-one ever has, it is not a pointless option to have if it will not get granted?

I've always thought that the board should be a bit fairer, but having just thought about it, it reflects real life. How often will a manager IRL give the board/chairman an ultimatum- hardly ever and even if they did the manger would be likely to be sacked. For me the board room is not the domain of the manager- especially as football has changed in recent years and the board/chairman seem to have very little knowledge of football and have more of a business interest as opposed to football. :)

I've always thought that the board should be a bit fairer, but having just thought about it, it reflects real life. How often will a manager IRL give the board/chairman an ultimatum- hardly ever and even if they did the manger would be likely to be sacked. For me the board room is not the domain of the manager- especially as football has changed in recent years and the board/chairman seem to have very little knowledge of football and have more of a business interest as opposed to football. :)

Yep look at Brian Clough at Derby -- offered an ultimatum. It was accepted and he was sacked. At the end of the day either you have built a strong enough club that a decent manager can at least keep it steady or the team isn't good enough and someone else can fix it. Really only SAF and Wenger could possibly get away with it today. So spend 20 years at a club and see if it works!

An ultimatum really is a last resort, so you should be absolutely prepared to lose your job. I've never given them. I'll do the best with what I've got. If I'm not happy I can always move on.

I would like to see more options for communication with the board in the future, though. For instance, my club have £16m in the bank and we're hovering near/at the top of the table, when we were expecting to struggle at the bottom. My transfer budget is £0 yet we're making money almost every month. It would be nice to be able to say to the board, "look, we're doing well in the league, we've got plenty of money. I've just spotted a wicked signing who will help take us to the next level. Could you please free up £2m for him?"

Yep look at Brian Clough at Derby -- offered an ultimatum. It was accepted and he was sacked. At the end of the day either you have built a strong enough club that a decent manager can at least keep it steady or the team isn't good enough and someone else can fix it. Really only SAF and Wenger could possibly get away with it today. So spend 20 years at a club and see if it works!

But then I dont get why it should be there, if it is only going to be of real use once you've been at a club for long. It is odd. Although I just asked for more money now and got told to do get out of the boardroom. 8-)

But then I dont get why it should be there, if it is only going to be of real use once you've been at a club for long. It is odd. Although I just asked for more money now and got told to do get out of the boardroom. 8-)

My feeling is it's a way to quit and let the fans know you are frustrated with the board and it is a realistic option. With that in mind it would be cool if you were favoured personnel or an icon at the club, you issue an ultimatum, get told no, leave and still remain an icon to the fans. Just because the board doesn't like you doesn't mean the fans feel the same. Roy Keane and Tommy Docherty weren't exactly held in high esteem by the Man United board, but both are still well-regarded and remembered by United fans.

My feeling is it's a way to quit and let the fans know you are frustrated with the board and it is a realistic option. With that in mind it would be cool if you were favoured personnel or an icon at the club, you issue an ultimatum, get told no, leave and still remain an icon to the fans. Just because the board doesn't like you doesn't mean the fans feel the same. Roy Keane and Tommy Docherty weren't exactly held in high esteem by the Man United board, but both are still well-regarded and remembered by United fans.

Thats actually a pretty fair point. I think it would be good if you were on of the favoured personnel or an icon, and then they accepted ultimatums. But everytime I do, it does say the fans agree the board should back me up with hard cash.

I always save the game before I issue ultimatums; I refuse to lose my job in such a way!

Over the years I have done it many times, almost always ending in the sack.

However, in FM07 I think, may have been FM08, I took Rotherham from League 2 and eventually to Champions League football. Everytime I asked for bigger ground, upgraded facilities, etc, they said no. But EVERYTIME I issued an ultimatum, they gave in.

So, like Fergie, make yourself indispensable and your ultimatums will work!

I issued an ultimatum over a stadium expansion in FM2007 after years and years at my club.

They said no but didn't sack me, basically telling me that they were going to pretend this meeting never happened.

I don't feel I am in a secure enough position to try that at my club in FM2010 yet.

Archived