Areas Of Improvement.

Star Rating/ System Rating

As you are aware the system star rating is broken, numerous people have received half star ratings even though their systems are pretty good rigs, this feature could be a helpful and useful indicator for people and a great guideline for them on how many leagues they can actually run at any one time.

Training & Players

Has training ever actually changed? Enough said

Board & Fan Confidence

Board confidence doesnt seem to follow on from season to season, every year seems to start reset your confidence to 50%.

Fan Confidence needs alot of work, they never seem to understand your reasonings for selling or buying players, what happened in what matches and why, they are always against you when in real life they are against other influences. They dont understand when you field a youth side or when their is an injury crisis at the club. In real life if you lead a blue square team to the premier league your fans will hail you as a legend and worship the ground you walk on yet on the game once you get there they expect you to win the league year in year out. Nothing is ever good enough.

Affiliations

While it is great to have affiliated teams for parent and feeder clubs it is a shame that you cant choose which country the team is from, numerous times i have needed affiliations from belguim/spain etc and continue to get low league english teams. Its only a small improvement but one that i feel would help develop peoples team at a much quicker pace.

History

As you are aware, players histories keeps disappearing which lets be honest just isnt acceptable. This needs looking into ASAP for a permanent fix.

Team Settings

Is it just me or when you set your team settings for reserve and youth teams the computer just disreguards what you have set? Numerous times i have set for contract renewals to be handled by myself yet my youth coach offers new contracts to these players.

Transfers

Teams only seem to go for the same players, time and time again, if you've played the game more than once you know how the transfers pan out for the first few years, what frustrates me is if you offer the club the same amount as the AI you will get rejected until after the AI's bid as been accept which i find odd.

Transfer fees are just plain daft, i have on numerous occasions offered clubs 50+ million only to be turned down asking for 100+ million for potential, not for a star player, for potential. One only has to look at real life situations when yes players are sold for stupid amounts of money but you rarely see a player sold for 10+ million when they are totally unproven.

Continuity seems to be an issue here also, years into the game the top teams seem to sell their best youth prospects and buy average prospects from other teams, this i simply cannot comprehend... can you?

Player & Team Stats

Having tested this area extensively i have come to the conclusion that you simply dont know what your doing, it doesnt actually matter what sort of player you have in your squad, they are all capable of the same thing no matter how poor or amazing they are. Its actually a waste of time spending 50+ million on that star striker because one for 50k will do the same job.

The ME seems to base itself off your teams tactic rather than a mixture of player stat and team tactic, yes i understand players can have off days but week after week after week? Against lower than low opposition? I dont think so. Time and time again your star studded team can be dominated by teams 2 divisions lower than you because they have a tactic that counters yours, its a shame really. The ME is suppose to be a place that this franchise excels in but its massive flaw in using player and team stats is more a hinderance that a bonus.

Player Stats

Do these actually do anything to players ingame? They just seem to run around doing their own thing, i set my Left winger to cut inside yet they continue running down the left and crossing in the middle, i set my defensive mid as an anchor man, not to run forward with a defensive mentality yet they still find themselves further up the feld than my forward, do these new features have a place in the ME or are they just for show?

Tactics

The new tactics system is a massive improvement over recent years in my opinion and its great that you allowed others the option to use last years method. I do however have to ask what exactly is the point in having all these settings to pass shorter and close down often etc if the players arent actually going to follow it in game?

Time and time again i have set players to the shortest possible passing setting and watched ingame as they have 2 or more players open for a short pass yet hoof it up field to lose possesion because they simply didnt want to follow the match settings, can i ask why this is the case? why exactly do you allow us all these settings if they dont actually do anything?

Player Interaction

This area is very robotic, it feels lifeless and tedious. Even as a world class manager your players still know best and quite often refuse to learn the PPM you want them to learn. And lets face it, after you've had an interaction with one player its exactly the same for them all, they all responed pretty much the same, this area of the game could be incredibly but is very dull.

Discipline Player

All this feature seems to do is upset your players which in turn upsets your squad harmony which in turn affects the way your team plays... any use in this feature? Or just another area thats for show?

Press Conference

The single biggest waste of time, the only effect this seems to have on the game is to effect your players, 9 times out of 10 affecting them badly even when you get a good response. The questions are tedious, repetative and dull. Answers very rarely have their desired effect.

Assistant Manager Feedback

After years of playing, this appears to be a completely useless feature to me for the simple reason that it doesnt actually matter what you set your players to its all about your team tactic, if the AI has a tactic that counters yours or is "better" than yours no matter what you set your players to you always lose possesion, heavy touches etc.

The Match Engine;

Goalkeeper

Do keepers actually work in this game?

Constantly beaten by 40 yard screamers.

They cant seem to catch a corner ever.

Over/Under running crosses and allowing easy scoring opportunities.

Diving for shots that are 5-10 yards off target and giving away corners.

If only a goalkeeper would/could act like an actual goalkeeper.

Defender

The most painful area of the game, defending is poor at very best. When on an attacking corner that has been cleared to the half way line, defenders usually head the ball back up field straight to the opposition even when nobody is around them.

Defenders dont close down.

Defenders dont put in challenges.

Defenders whack the ball off field when their is no danger.

Defenders make numerous poor decisions throughout matches which result in you losing goals, numerous fouls = penalties, freekicks, cards or just generally passing the ball out for a corner or passing it straight to the opposition etc.

Defenders cant pass.

Defenders slow down when chasing the ball for no reason what so ever and 9 times out of 10 lose the ball to an attacker 40 yards away from them because they dont move to the ball quick enough.

Do i need to mention setpiece defending?

Midfielder

Whatever happened to closing down? My ball winning midfielders run around like headless chickens and dont even jump into a challenge to win the ball, positioning is poor for the midfield department which always seems to put your team on the back foot. Even when you over power the midfield with 5/6 midfielders the opposition still seem to find space to run in a straight line straight through the middle of the park.

Those with high passing ratings just pass straight to the opposition unless your tactic is "better" than the opposition, rarely do i see a player such as Fabregas give away every pass for 20 minutes of a game because as an individual he is better than that, yet players or equal quality ingame will miss 30/40 passes a game because of the ME.

Far to many long shots from this area of the field, you set long shots to rarely for a reason, so why dont these players hold up play and pass the ball to an open player? Why do they time and time again waste possesion and go for a long shot? (although at the moment it isnt such a bad thing when you have 4/5 long shots per game hitting the back of the net)

Attacker

One on one situations need work, why do attackers run and keep running until they leave themselves no angle to score from? Why do they shoot straight at the goalkeeper time and time again? Why do they run straight into the goalkeeper when they are through?

Their are far too many long shots in this game by players with no rating in the long shot department. Not even in 500 games in real life will you see as many 30+ yard goals in one season of FM, the game needs some serious work.

Strikers are scoring 40+ goals per season, how many times have we actually seen this in real life? once in recent years, isnt this game suppose to be based on reality yet you believe these super seasons are acceptable?

Referee

So many handballs

So many penalties

So many offsides

So many fouls

So many cards

So many wrong decisions

So many sendings off

System

Crash Dumps, please, just fix them already.

Need i say any more?

If you are planning on flaming this post then please dont bother because i cant really be bothered with you. If you have something to add to the list then by all means post, this is my opinion and i do not need any silly little fanboys replying with SI do this that and the other because the simple fact of the matter is this game is quite broken.

I do like FM10 and think its alot better than 09 but the game wasnt ready for release and shouldnt of been released, this idea that its ok to release a game and get it working with patches that eventually end in may is ok isnt true and shouldnt be acceptable.

All i want is for this game to work properly.

Thank you.

I agree with nearly all of this, except it's a little exaggerated. I think that it might be a good idea for SI to not release a game every year, but actually release it when it's perfectly tweaked and ready. That way they wouldn't bee rushing to work to a deadline, leaving some things unfinished and making little improvement year by year.

Regarding affiliates. Once you've been at the club for a while you will be able to pick a specific club. I don't think its realistic to be able to do this from the start especially for an unknown manager. As for team settings I think its just you thats doing something wrong because it works for me.

The game is NOT broken it works fine for me. You probably just need to install the patches and upgrade things like your graphics card drivers which is something you should do on a regular basis anyway.

The game is NOT broken it works fine for me.

If it works fine for you then great, you're one of the majority with a bug free game. However for the rest of us the game is absolutely broken to the point (in my case) of being completely unplayable. I don't mean you literally can't start the game but you can't start any serious career because I've found the longer I go the more bugs manifest themselves, so I envy you and your bug free game.

The Match Engine;

Goalkeeper

No problem with Goalkeepers on what you say. In fact for the second last one... there is no chance in hell a shot is going 5-10 yards wide if a keeper is getting anywhere near it. I don't think you know how far 10 yards is... it would be impossible to save. My keeper and my opponent keeper love to catch crosses - especially from corners.

Defender

The most painful area of the game, defending is poor at very best. When on an attacking corner that has been cleared to the half way line, defenders usually head the ball back up field straight to the opposition even when nobody is around them.

Defenders make numerous poor decisions throughout matches which result in you losing goals, numerous fouls = penalties, freekicks, cards or just generally passing the ball out for a corner or passing it straight to the opposition etc.

Defenders cant pass.

Defenders slow down when chasing the ball for no reason what so ever and 9 times out of 10 lose the ball to an attacker 40 yards away from them because they dont move to the ball quick enough.

Most of that is nonsense to be fair. If it was true the scoreline would be double figures each side.

Midfielder

Whatever happened to closing down? My ball winning midfielders run around like headless chickens and dont even jump into a challenge to win the ball, positioning is poor for the midfield department which always seems to put your team on the back foot. Even when you over power the midfield with 5/6 midfielders the opposition still seem to find space to run in a straight line straight through the middle of the park.

Again - are you sure?

Those with high passing ratings just pass straight to the opposition unless your tactic is "better" than the opposition, rarely do i see a player such as Fabregas give away every pass for 20 minutes of a game because as an individual he is better than that, yet players or equal quality ingame will miss 30/40 passes a game because of the ME.

30/40 passes a game - you sure?

Far to many long shots from this area of the field, you set long shots to rarely for a reason, so why dont these players hold up play and pass the ball to an open player? Why do they time and time again waste possesion and go for a long shot? (although at the moment it isnt such a bad thing when you have 4/5 long shots per game hitting the back of the net)

Not seen a massive problem from this

Attacker

One on one situations need work, why do attackers run and keep running until they leave themselves no angle to score from? Why do they shoot straight at the goalkeeper time and time again? Why do they run straight into the goalkeeper when they are through?

Their are far too many long shots in this game by players with no rating in the long shot department. Not even in 500 games in real life will you see as many 30+ yard goals in one season of FM, the game needs some serious work.

Strikers are scoring 40+ goals per season, how many times have we actually seen this in real life? once in recent years, isnt this game suppose to be based on reality yet you believe these super seasons are acceptable?

I wish I had a 15+ goals a season striker :(

Referee

So many handballs

So many penalties

So many offsides

So many fouls

So many cards

So many wrong decisions

So many sendings off

So realistic then... in fact not enough wrong decisions, not enough sending offs, no enough penalties. All in all not enough wrong decisions

Bottom Line

Don't want Highlights in Key only. Watch it in extended or full match and most of these problems will disappear if you do. You see a few long shots in a match because well - they're key highlights - now if you watched extended you would see moves breakdown, you would see challenges from your midfield/defence - even better if you watch the full match (not recommend if you expect a 0-0 :D )

I'd tend to agree with everything the poster has said, if a little exaggerated.

One thing especially that bugs me the most is the whole players slowing down thing, it looks ridiculous and it allows the opposition to catch up for no reason. It seems to happen a lot from a cleared ball after a corner, it's just ridiculous.

Again for those people who have working gmaes excellent, for those of us without working games (which lets face it is more than should be acceptable) these are issues which are affecting game play for alot of people.

I am sure about every single sentence in my thread, and if you havent noticed any issues with the ME then i suggest you watch the game, my world class keeper lets in at least a goal a game now through stupid mistakes, he went 4 games running conceeding goals from corners because he over ran the cross and it hit him on the back to roll into my goal, its laughable at times.

But again, not really interested in listening to those people who have bug free games, continue playing your games and stop ranting and raving that our systems arent good enough or our drivers arent up to date etc, honestly, how stupid do you think we actually are? My system couldnt be any better and everything is completely up to date.

Can anyone not having problems with the match engine tell me how far into the game they've got? Because the longer I play the more the ME looks like one massive bug.

While i have only gotten 5 season into the game on a previois save and 3 season in on my current save i can't really say that i have seen many issues with the ME TBH.

I guess the only 1 i have really seen in my saves is that yes there is slightly too many long shots scored.

To the OP from what i read of the opening post it seems you are saying that every peice of the game is broken which i disagree with. I agree with some of your points, namely that regens don't seem to be particulary good the longer you get in to the game and that press conferences are not very good. Probably also agree that training is not that great an area of the game as well.

Again as you have stated earlier you have your opinion and i have mine but i just haven't been able to detect all the problems that some people seem to be having with the game and believe it to be the best FM yet.

Again for those people who have working gmaes excellent, for those of us without working games (which lets face it is more than should be acceptable) these are issues which are affecting game play for alot of people.

I am sure about every single sentence in my thread, and if you havent noticed any issues with the ME then i suggest you watch the game, my world class keeper lets in at least a goal a game now through stupid mistakes, he went 4 games running conceeding goals from corners because he over ran the cross and it hit him on the back to roll into my goal, its laughable at times.

But again, not really interested in listening to those people who have bug free games, continue playing your games and stop ranting and raving that our systems arent good enough or our drivers arent up to date etc, honestly, how stupid do you think we actually are? My system couldnt be any better and everything is completely up to date.

Everyones game is the same, only the systems and the way its played are different.

As you are aware the system star rating is broken, numerous people have received half star ratings even though their systems are pretty good rigs, this feature could be a helpful and useful indicator for people and a great guideline for them on how many leagues they can actually run at any one time.

The system is fairly accurate - being on the cautious side (favouring speed over detail). However SI cannot work with and test on all possible hardware combinations for obvious reasons and so erronious ratings may occassionally appear. SI are working on improving this, with help from those who are reporting and detailing their experiences.

Training & Players

Has training ever actually changed? Enough said

Yes it has - lots. I agree it's still got plenty of room for improvement, but what do you actually want changed? It's really not 'enough said' - SI can't read your mind..

Board & Fan Confidence

Board confidence doesnt seem to follow on from season to season, every year seems to start reset your confidence to 50%.

Fan Confidence needs alot of work, they never seem to understand your reasonings for selling or buying players, what happened in what matches and why, they are always against you when in real life they are against other influences. They dont understand when you field a youth side or when their is an injury crisis at the club. In real life if you lead a blue square team to the premier league your fans will hail you as a legend and worship the ground you walk on yet on the game once you get there they expect you to win the league year in year out. Nothing is ever good enough.

SI have said they're looking into improving this aspect - again on the basis of reports and feedback from those who are willing to provide evidence and constructive criticism.

It's still fairly accurate however. As in reality, the casual fan cannot see the inner workings of the team and may not be aware of financial issues, injuries, fallings outs etc, and it's your job to just get on with managing the team in spite of any criticism.

As for confidence resetting and being ever increasing in their expectations, it again seems a rather accurate portrayal. In reality, for example, I am a Watford fan. We loved Boothroyd when he got us to the Premier League, were very disappointing at getting relegated, and were happy to see him sacked the year after - despite well publicised financial issues (although they were his fault - signing Ellington..). Fans are fickle and always want their clubs to do well.

Affiliations

While it is great to have affiliated teams for parent and feeder clubs it is a shame that you cant choose which country the team is from, numerous times i have needed affiliations from belguim/spain etc and continue to get low league english teams. Its only a small improvement but one that i feel would help develop peoples team at a much quicker pace.

It would be nice to get more WP feeder clubs at times - but usually as a top club you do, providing you don't already have one. If you have a Spanish, Polish etc. feeder, you'll be less likely to get a Belgian one - a shame perhaps as different nations have different merits. However, in reality it is rarely the job of the manager to be involved in such things.

History

As you are aware, players histories keeps disappearing which lets be honest just isnt acceptable. This needs looking into ASAP for a permanent fix.

It is being looked into, so this doesn't really add anything constructive. There's the possibility that it's a memory and/or cache issue, but even so SI are doing their best to limit the chances of this happening.

Team Settings

Is it just me or when you set your team settings for reserve and youth teams the computer just disreguards what you have set? Numerous times i have set for contract renewals to be handled by myself yet my youth coach offers new contracts to these players.

Can't say I've seen this. Are you sure it's not a case of you offering players a contract at 15/16 but them only being able to turn pro at 17?

Transfers

Teams only seem to go for the same players, time and time again, if you've played the game more than once you know how the transfers pan out for the first few years, what frustrates me is if you offer the club the same amount as the AI you will get rejected until after the AI's bid as been accept which i find odd.

A bit more variety would maybe be nice, but if the AI manager has chosen a type of player he's targetting, then chances are they'll return to the same options unless another manager gets in the way.

Transfer fees are just plain daft, i have on numerous occasions offered clubs 50+ million only to be turned down asking for 100+ million for potential, not for a star player, for potential. One only has to look at real life situations when yes players are sold for stupid amounts of money but you rarely see a player sold for 10+ million when they are totally unproven.

Not seen this really. If a player is worth that much to you, chances are they are to their own team too. Top players and young prospects are rarely sold for fees that aren't highly inflated, particularly if the club has no desire or need to sell. Again, if you have any specific evidence, please post/log it and SI will look into it.

Look at transfer fees just 10/15 years ago and you'll see a huge jump in the value of players to now - in future fees probably won't go up quite so much, but even so inflationary pressures will most likely only have one consequence..

Continuity seems to be an issue here also, years into the game the top teams seem to sell their best youth prospects and buy average prospects from other teams, this i simply cannot comprehend... can you?

Any evidence? Maybe the clubs are in financial crisis, or have poor scouting and management?

Player & Team Stats

Having tested this area extensively i have come to the conclusion that you simply dont know what your doing, it doesnt actually matter what sort of player you have in your squad, they are all capable of the same thing no matter how poor or amazing they are. Its actually a waste of time spending 50+ million on that star striker because one for 50k will do the same job.

So wrong. Obviously just throwing a bunch of top players out there with a system that doesn't work may produce marginally better results than doing the same with a bunch of no-hopers, but to get the most of your players you need a tactic that does exactly that - works to their strengths.

In my current save I spent £52mil on Sergio Aguero and it's probably the best money I've ever spent - for his ability to create something out of nothing. A very average striker (Jermaine Beckford for example) can run onto balls at any level or act as a poacher if the service is good enough, but they don't have the ability to create or play as attractive football - and they can't be relied on.

The ME seems to base itself off your teams tactic rather than a mixture of player stat and team tactic, yes i understand players can have off days but week after week after week? Against lower than low opposition? I dont think so. Time and time again your star studded team can be dominated by teams 2 divisions lower than you because they have a tactic that counters yours, its a shame really. The ME is suppose to be a place that this franchise excels in but its massive flaw in using player and team stats is more a hinderance that a bonus.

I don't quite understand your point? You're a top team and your tactic can't cope with a lower team putting you under pressure and trying to play on the break? That's not a fault of the ME. Keep your players motivatedd and let their quality shine through. Play a deeper line and slow down play to keep possession better and avoid counter attacks, or maybe in contrast play faster so closing down is less effective. Success as a football manager is not about buying the best players - it's about buying those players who best fit your system and using them properly. By your reckoning there are no good tacticians in the world, and having better players automatically means you should win.. Not true at all.
Player Stats

Do these actually do anything to players ingame? They just seem to run around doing their own thing, i set my Left winger to cut inside yet they continue running down the left and crossing in the middle, i set my defensive mid as an anchor man, not to run forward with a defensive mentality yet they still find themselves further up the feld than my forward, do these new features have a place in the ME or are they just for show?

Stats matter a lot - use your players to their strengths. If your players aren't listening to your instructions, maybe there are issues with the level of creative freedom you're allowing them. Players too may have to drift out of position or play against instructions if, for example, an achorman is left with no one near by to pass to - they may have to move forward looking for a target.
Tactics

The new tactics system is a massive improvement over recent years in my opinion and its great that you allowed others the option to use last years method. I do however have to ask what exactly is the point in having all these settings to pass shorter and close down often etc if the players arent actually going to follow it in game?

Time and time again i have set players to the shortest possible passing setting and watched ingame as they have 2 or more players open for a short pass yet hoof it up field to lose possesion because they simply didnt want to follow the match settings, can i ask why this is the case? why exactly do you allow us all these settings if they dont actually do anything?

As above - it's all very well asking them to pass short and close down lots - but they can't do this effectively if there's no one to pass to, or if they're starting nowhere near their closing down target.

Player Interaction

This area is very robotic, it feels lifeless and tedious. Even as a world class manager your players still know best and quite often refuse to learn the PPM you want them to learn. And lets face it, after you've had an interaction with one player its exactly the same for them all, they all responed pretty much the same, this area of the game could be incredibly but is very dull.

Player personalities matter more in FM10 I've found - a more professional player may respect your advice, while an ambitious player may be more confident in their own abilities as they are.

Interaction as a whole could be improved, but do you have any constructive comments to make and add to your point? I'm sure they'd be appreciated.

Discipline Player

All this feature seems to do is upset your players which in turn upsets your squad harmony which in turn affects the way your team plays... any use in this feature? Or just another area thats for show?

Again a case of personalities. Most players will get angry at being fined, which isn't surprising. Whether or not they accept it and apologise will depend on their personality, as well as the severity of your punishment. If you're fining players for getting 6.0s or for getting two yellows then you're perhaps being too harsh, particularly if these are one-offs from the player.

Press Conference

The single biggest waste of time, the only effect this seems to have on the game is to effect your players, 9 times out of 10 affecting them badly even when you get a good response. The questions are tedious, repetative and dull. Answers very rarely have their desired effect.

Majorly improved from FM09 but I agree not the most exciting in the world. Let your assistant deal with them.

Again you've not been at all constructive.

Assistant Manager Feedback

After years of playing, this appears to be a completely useless feature to me for the simple reason that it doesnt actually matter what you set your players to its all about your team tactic, if the AI has a tactic that counters yours or is "better" than yours no matter what you set your players to you always lose possesion, heavy touches etc.

Rubbish, sorry. I've stated already in your rant about tactics what the problems might be. The fact is a better manager is one who can counter the tactical choices of the other.

The Match Engine

Goalkeeper

Even the best GKs make mistakes. If they're not a top goalie, very eccentric and/or inconsistent, then expect to concede more goals than you'd like. If you have a poor GK, or even if you have a good one, it's the defender's job to protect the GK. Ensure their distribution, freedoms and mentality aren't allowing them to do anything stupid. If you have a high defensive line, expect GKs (particularly the more eccentric) to take it upon themselves to become a sweeper.

Defender

Maybe their mental skills aren't the best? If they're uncomposed they may instinctively look to get the ball away regardless of circumstance - particularly if they're set to be direct in their passing.

Yes they do - if you play them properly. Ensure the defensive line and their indivudual instruction allows them to be close enough to the attacking players to actually close them down, and ensure they're not set to close down too much that they get caught out of position when the ball is passed between opposition players, exposing holes at the back.

As above, they only can if they're actually near the attacking players. Even if their stats are flawless, they simply cannot realistically be expected to win the ball all the time - and often when you think your player isn't making an effort it's simply due to poor/slow 3D graphical representations.

Usually only those with poor composure, or with no support nearby. If asked to play direct, waste time etc then they may do this more often. It also depends on how good they are under pressure.

Defenders cant pass.

Even the best players make mistakes - ensure that your players are played to their strengths and their weaknesses are avoided. With passing, try slowing down play and asking them to play shorter - so they don't have to try and pass downfield and lose the ball. Also ensure they have support - for example from a DM dropping back to play passes to. Reduce tackling intensity for those players with a tendency for being aggressive or ruthless in the tackle, and also do your best to ensure that they don't only make a challenge once inside the box - reducing the risk of giving away penalties.
Most likely a poor graphical representation - perhaps their anticipation is poor, or maybe the ball has bobbled and let their rechnique down. It certainly does not happen 9/10 times unless you have apalling defenders - but you only notice the times it does.

Please. We aren't psychic. :rolleyes:

You've said nothing constructive here. A post that started promising has ended up as a rant.

Midfielder

As I've said above, unless your tactic allows your players do be near those players that they should be closing down, then the players will be ineffective. There's no point having ball-winning players roaming around if they aren't getting close to either the passer nor the receipient of a pass. I'd advise playing deeper so that your players aren't caught trying to close down players who are already past them, and they are most likely slower than and thus either unlikely to catch or more likely to foul.

Rubbish.

A good passer can only pass if he has someone to pass to. If they're sat deep and being forced into playing long passes to players who are being tightly marked then they are likely to have a low pass completion rate. The best passers, such as Fabregas and Scholes, do not have brilliant completition rates as they're often going for the killer ball - it rarely goes through but when it does it's a killer. Ensure your players have enough freedom to roam and find space to receive a pass, but not enough freedom so that the formation loses all it's shape - ensure you have someone always in the middle to receive a pass and someone up top to look to receive forward balls - otherwise you'll just keep giving the ball away.

An issue that is being looked into, but certainly one that is being overhyped. Long shots against your team is a sign that your defence is forcing players to take shots from distance - but the problem lies with the accuracy. This works in your favour too and so balances out over time. Your own players will take long shots if there is no suitable target for a pass. As I said previously, try to have someone running into the box and other players roaming around for a pass.
Attacker

A lack of composure and poor ability under pressure is the main reason for missing one-on-ones. The issue certainly isn't one I've noticed - it was much worse in previous versions. I've had strikers at all levels who have been absolutely clinical. Maybe try to avoid one-on-ones where the player has to run a lot with the ball - this may tire them out and impact the quality of the finish.

As above. Nothing constructive here...

Any evidence and comparisons to real life? It's something being looked into - but you can't have it both ways. If you want all one-on-ones to be goals then there'd be more ridiculous figures.

Referee

So many handballs

So many penalties

So many offsides

So many fouls

So many cards

So many wrong decisions

So many sendings off

Welcome to reality.
System

Crash Dumps, please, just fix them already.

SI are doing their best, as has been said thousands of times already. If you have nothing contructive to add...
Need i say any more?

If you are planning on flaming this post then please dont bother because i cant really be bothered with you. If you have something to add to the list then by all means post, this is my opinion and i do not need any silly little fanboys replying with SI do this that and the other because the simple fact of the matter is this game is quite broken.

I do like FM10 and think its alot better than 09 but the game wasnt ready for release and shouldnt of been released, this idea that its ok to release a game and get it working with patches that eventually end in may is ok isnt true and shouldnt be acceptable.

All i want is for this game to work properly.

Thank you.

You've said very little constructive here - if you have feedback, evidence and constructive advice then by all means post it.

I've given my honest assessment of your post here, and I've offered advice where I can. The truth is though that you need to be open minded about this - if you want to have a discussion and make a point beyond a rant then you can't say you don't care about the other side of the argument. If you simply want to rant, you're doing nothing to help and just taking up people's time. I've done my best to advise you on how to approach your tactical quims, but take on board that just because you can't play the game it doesn't mean that the game is unplayable. :rolleyes:

The game is far from broken - there are a few minor issues that need to be addressed, and others which are being looked into (and may or may not be the fault of the game). The fact is they ARE being addressed and constructive feedback is very much welcomed. Posts like this aren't.

:)

A very long post by the OP, and it is clearly thought through without too much of a rant.

Some of your points are valid, other arent so. However I wont quote each one as there are too many!

I keep on seeing these defending issues pop up. Are you using the tactics creator? If so then try switching back to the sliders as you will be more familiar with them if you have player the latest additions of FM.

I was struggling with defending using the creator, so I switched back to the sliders and my defending has been faaar faaar better.

Just an idea ;)

The first 1/4 or so was promising. The rest was a rant. :(

LOL, not quite sure about only 1/4 but he almost delivered what was needed.

Soon someone will write a thread with a list of known bugs without ranting, then perhaps it can added to as they are discovered.

Unfortunately, until that is done the OP of any thread wont be taken seriously enough.

I think there probably is one - at least within the internal testing team's knowledge anyway. There aren't a whole lot of bugs by any means - rather a few fixes needed, and a number of areas that need either tweaks or greater explaination. I've listed a number of things that can be done to help (tactically and beyond) in my above (long) post! :)

I think there probably is one - at least within the internal testing team's knowledge anyway. There aren't a whole lot of bugs by any means - rather a few fixes needed, and a number of areas that need either tweaks or greater explanation. I've listed a number of things that can be done to help (tactically and beyond) in my above (long) post! :)

I think you may be unaware of many of the bugs in the game (lucky you). I can only comment on my game, but to say only "a few fixes needed" couldn't be further from the truth. I started off with very minor problems which have grown the longer I have played to the point where I've boxed the game. I realise the majority are having no major trouble at all and I wouldn't be selfish enough to think my game was a benchmark, unfortunately I think there are some on the forum with flawless games who do.

How exactly did you quote me and still get my name wrong? Impressive..

I know there are bugs and issues, but I'm certainly aware of the situation - as I've made clear. A number of issues are, although areas where tweaking could be considered and is maybe needed to a minor extent, more due to the need for tactical changes and more thought input by the user - and this should be realised. Too many people are confusing being poor at the game with the game being broken, I'm, afraid to say. Other than the accuracy of long shots, the ME seems really rather good.

One area for consideration could be the default settings implemented by the tactics creator - I think too many people are being mislead and holding misguided views that once they've created a tactic in the wizard it should work. The user needs to realise tweaks will be needed, depending on your players, your opposition and your circumstances.

Bug free game? I wish! In fact I spent over £1000 this year (over three platforms - PC/DS/360) on games and I tell you what - not one of them are bug free. Guess what - it just isn't possible.

Please show me a screenshot that your world class midfielders have miss placed 30/40 passes a game for a heavy length of time

One area for consideration could be the default settings implemented by the tactics creator - I think too many people are being mislead and holding misguided views that once they\'ve created a tactic in the wizard it should work. The user needs to realise tweaks will be needed, depending on your players, your opposition and your circumstances.

I agree. I believe many people are posting on here that the defece isnt working etc, when actually the default settings can be a little misleading. I actually switched back to the sliders for this reason.

I was thinking of starting a thread along these lines, however I am sure I would be flamed for suggesting it.

I agree. I believe many people are posting on here that the defece isnt working etc, when actually the default settings can be a little misleading. I actually switched back to the sliders for this reason.

I was thinking of starting a thread along these lines, however I am sure I would be flamed for suggesting it.

I was too tbh. A guide to circumstance/approaching tactics and matches. I doubt it'd be worth the effort - hours of work to be criticised and ignored. :(

I was too tbh. A guide to circumstance/approaching tactics and matches. I doubt it\\\'d be worth the effort - hours of work to be criticised and ignored. :(

LOL. I know what you mean. If you do it, I will back you up in there ;)

I know for a fact there are some ME issues with the game, however this version of FM is a very tactic accute one.

Everyone says it is impossible to defend, but this just isnt the case......AT ALL :)

I absolutely love playing the game, but I completely agree with the OP about all the cosmetic features. I would absolutely love the backroom advice section if it worked. I have top coaches constantly recommending awful players, and the PPMs don't seem to have any effect whatsoever in game apart from waht the commentator says.

There is no point arguing back against all his points, because other people are getting exactly the same things. I saw someone arguing that all the big clubs have to sell promising yougnsters maybe because of financial difficulty. Rubbish. They ALL sell brilliant youngsters then buy average youngsters for higher fees. Basically, every feature except for the basics (assemlbing a squad and playing matches) seem to have absolutely no purpose.

I absolutely love playing the game, but I completely agree with the OP about all the cosmetic features. I would absolutely love the backroom advice section if it worked. I have top coaches constantly recommending awful players, and the PPMs don't seem to have any effect whatsoever in game apart from waht the commentator says.

There is no point arguing back against all his points, because other people are getting exactly the same things. I saw someone arguing that all the big clubs have to sell promising yougnsters maybe because of financial difficulty. Rubbish. They ALL sell brilliant youngsters then buy average youngsters for higher fees. Basically, every feature except for the basics (assemlbing a squad and playing matches) seem to have absolutely no purpose.

Do you have any evidence to back any of your claims up?

Yes, my game on FM....

Not going to bother uploading it so you'll have to take my word on it i guess - i have top coaches (all 190s CA) recommending i buy average players.

In game, I watch most games on full, after learning a PPM a certain player didnt stop taking long shots (its actually gone up)... don't know what more evidence you want.

Regarding youngsters being sold - Arsenal sold Vela for £1m, Wilshere for £1.2m and Ramsey for £2m. They bought in Matt James (a pretty good player from Man Utd reserves). Man Utd sold Macheda to Spurs for £3.5m (and no, they weren't in any kind of financial difficulty)

But one thing that certainly isn't constructive is sticking up for the game no matter what. Some aspects of the game are unrealistic. Please accept this.

The back room advice i think is generally good, admittedly i didn't take to it straight away. But it does give some good advice at times.

My only gripe is, if you tell me once and I dismiss the advice, please don't feel the need to continue telling me the same thing at every meeting!

And also please don't tell me i haven't organised one in a while if you don't have any advice to give.

OK only 2 gripes!

Yes, my game on FM....

Not going to bother uploading it so you'll have to take my word on it i guess - i have top coaches (all 190s CA) recommending i buy average players.

In game, I watch most games on full, after learning a PPM a certain player didnt stop taking long shots (its actually gone up)... don't know what more evidence you want.

Regarding youngsters being sold - Arsenal sold Vela for £1m, Wilshere for £1.2m and Ramsey for £2m. They bought in Matt James (a pretty good player from Man Utd reserves). Man Utd sold Macheda to Spurs for £3.5m (and no, they weren't in any kind of financial difficulty)

But one thing that certainly isn't constructive is sticking up for the game no matter what. Some aspects of the game are unrealistic. Please accept this.

Coaches don't recommend players - Scouts do. CA also has little impact on coaching/scouting abilities beyond how good they can become. :confused:

As I've said earlier, players taking long shots is mostly down to not being able to break down the defence, having no one to pass to, and creative freedom perhaps needing tweaking. Try the 'work ball into box' shout too.

Can you please upload screenshots of Arsenal's transfers for the seasons prior to selling Vela, his performances, stats, or anything you think of significance? Perhaps he was unhappy (not getting football), refused a new deal, or the club wanted to cut wages and had better options?

:thup:

Ok, replace the word 'coach' with 'scout' and that's what happens. Nothing more than my mistake. My scouts all have judging ability and potential above 17+.

Haven't got access to my game at the moment so can't post screen shots. I've started two games however, and Vela has been sold for under £5m on both. He had potential ability over 175 in both, and was well on course to reach that. Before you argue against the usefullness of PA, his attributes were also well distributed.

And its not just players taking long shots, that was just an example. They don't learn or unlearn (if that's a word) anything from any of the PPMs. The only difference is that the commentator says 'he loves to power them in' - he shot with power just as often before the PPM.

Good rant had a right laff reading it.

You say don't bring the game out till its finished, i think we wouldn't get the game till gone january if so. Then all we would get is you on here slagging SI on how we have to wait for the game till near the end of the season.

There will be no winning with you telac.....

And its not just players taking long shots, that was just an example. They don't learn or unlearn (if that's a word) anything from any of the PPMs. The only difference is that the commentator says 'he loves to power them in' - he shot with power just as often before the PPM.

How many times do I have to say it - there's a reason why players are taking long shots. The issue with them is not frequency but accuracy so don't use them as an excuse for your tactical shortcomings. :confused::confused:

How many times do I have to say it - there's a reason why players are taking long shots. The issue with them is not frequency but accuracy so don't use them as an excuse for your tactical shortcomings. :confused::confused:

What? I just said that its not just long shots. The 'shoots with power' PPM is nothing to do with long shots. Forget all the long shots, i'm not using them as excuses as i'm doing very well thank you very much, none of the other PPMs make any difference either... as I just said...

What? I just said that its not just long shots. The 'shoots with power' PPM is nothing to do with long shots. Forget all the long shots, i'm not using them as excuses as i'm doing very well thank you very much, none of the other PPMs make any difference either... as I just said...

They do though. :confused:

If a player shoots with power, his shots may be harder to save. If a player dives into tackles, he may pick up more cards. If he dwells on the ball, he may make more mistakes. What evidence do you have to back your claims up? The crucial word there is may - they won't always, but over time you'll notice it providing your tactics allow them to have the freedom to do their own thing, or in constrast restrict them to playing controlled football.

My evidence is that i've played to season 2024/25, and a player that learnt to dive into tackles 8 seasons ago still has the same average level of statistics with regards to tackles, tackle success, bookings.

May i ask, do YOU have any evidence of these differences caused by learning/forgetting PPMs? I'd love to see proof that they do make a difference. I just doubt it.

Back your claims up!...........

You back yours up. All the crappy defensive issues are all over my game, and messing with the settings both new and old don't do s**t.

I do agree with the long shots. Frequency of them is realistic but the frequency of accurate long range efforts, especially lower league are not.

My evidence is that i've played to season 2024/25, and a player that learnt to dive into tackles 8 seasons ago still has the same average level of statistics with regards to tackles, tackle success, bookings.

May i ask, do YOU have any evidence of these differences caused by learning/forgetting PPMs? I'd love to see proof that they do make a difference. I just doubt it.

What evidence would you like exactly?

What do you mean by 'average level'? Dives into tackles isn't neccessarily a bad thing - if the player is a good tackler and good mentally then it may act similarly to eccentricity for GKs in that a player may make tackles that others may not. They may give away penalties more though, particularly if there's a poor or strict referee in charge. If they're a poor tackler, or lack anticipation or composure, then diving into tackles could be distasterous. If you play players in line with their PPMs they could perhaps be negated though - ie. setting someone who dives into tackles to go easy, or someone who takes long shots being told to take few.

:thup:

You back yours up. All the crappy defensive issues are all over my game, and messing with the settings both new and old don't do s**t.

I do agree with the long shots. Frequency of them is realistic but the frequency of accurate long range efforts, especially lower league are not.

What defensive issues in particular? I have already (and would be willing to continue with doing so) offered advice on how to counter and negate certain issues.

One thing that needs to be remembered is that if you're playing with less than perfect players, or even if you are, everyone makes mistakes. Even if your tactics work perfectly, you can't expect average players to play like superstars and/or play attractive, fluid, flowing football.

You've basically said that there are so many variables, they don't actually make a difference. You've said it yourself that the PPMs depend on other things.

They do make a difference. As with attributes, it's a case of working to your players strengths and weaknesses. A player who places shots may be much better in one-on-one situations, but if they're a poor finisher or uncomposed they may still have a poor conversion rate.

You back yours up. All the crappy defensive issues are all over my game, and messing with the settings both new and old don\'t do s**t.

I love the way people say \"my game\" - mine is the same as yours! LOL

There are a few ME issues with the defending, they are however minor. If you are leaking goals worse that a holey roof then I am going to say it......

wait for it......

Its your tactics my friend. ;)

I do not leak goals, and I save the EXACT same game as you! :)

They do make a difference. As with attributes, it's a case of working to your players strengths and weaknesses. A player who places shots may be much better in one-on-one situations, but if they're a poor finisher or uncomposed they may still have a poor conversion rate.

Yes ok Hershey...

1) :rolleyes: Don't like being wrong?

2) wtf with the name misquoting? I'm not a chocolate.

No nothing to do with the possibility of being wrong, I've just accepted that you're obviously not going to reason. SI themselves have acknowledged some of the problems referred to, and are working on them (please don't ask me for evidence) so how you can still try and back these is beyond me. I thought I loved FM. Jesus, you must wet yourself every time you click 'launch game'.

Archived