My game hates me!

I've struggled no end with the tactics on this game, until I sat down and really read the TT&F download and implemented what I learned into my game. The improvement was immediate, I wasn't winning 5-0 every game, but the performances were a world away from before and I finally felt I understood the tactics interface. Now I'm starting to see strange things which if I didn't know better look like the AI leveling things up. I'm seeing 30+ yard screamers from players with long shots of 5 or 6, I'm seeing my players getting straight reds for heading the ball, I'm seeing the opposition scoring implausible last minute equalizers after I've bossed games. Add to this the players have started to refuse to mark the opposition at set pieces which was a strength before, and I haven't changed a thing on instructions! I've seen numerous other things too that I can't explain just too many to list here. I know for certain now my tactics are working so can anyone think of an explanation why my game seems to have turned against me?

My game hates me!

I've struggled no end with the tactics on this game, until I sat down and really read the TT&F download and implemented what I learned into my game. The improvement was immediate, I wasn't winning 5-0 every game, but the performances were a world away from before and I finally felt I understood the tactics interface. Now I'm starting to see strange things which if I didn't know better look like the AI leveling things up. I'm seeing 30+ yard screamers from players with long shots of 5 or 6, I'm seeing my players getting straight reds for heading the ball, I'm seeing the opposition scoring implausible last minute equalizers after I've bossed games. Add to this the players have started to refuse to mark the opposition at set pieces which was a strength before, and I haven't changed a thing on instructions! I've seen numerous other things too that I can't explain just too many to list here. I know for certain now my tactics are working so can anyone think of an explanation why my game seems to have turned against me?

Mr Benitez this is for people who play FM2010 not actual football managers!

These are all bugs which have been stated. Hopefully they will be sorted in the next patch. You can change your tactics all you want. The game will keep doing this to you over and over again until a patch fixes them.

Ive had problems with my team taking long shots. I can set up my team to have no creative freedom and every player not to do long shots but when you check the stats after the game you will see that you have had 15 shots and 10 of them will be long. Its a joke

Very constructive, well done!

To everyone else, I'm not moaning I simply don't understand why this is happening.

OK my deepest apologies, basically all the things you mentioned are well known issues and are being looked into for patch 2.

I will refrain from making jokes in future as this is neither the time or the place.

The main reason why your players take long shots is often the fact that they have little support. Some players naturally will be inclined to take long shots - through PPMs or just through wanting to play to the best of their abilities. However, if your players are repeatedly finding themselves faced by a seemingly impenetrable defence and no way round or through it (players in space or room to move into - created by a runner or a targetman perhaps) then they may have little choice but to take long shots.

Try and get as many men forward as possible, trying to create space and run through the middle or down the wings looking to get on the end of the pass - and giving other players options. If this still isn't helping - the touchline shout 'work ball into box' is very effective if you're having trouble breaking down defences.

In defence - long shots by the opposition are a sign that your backline is hard to breach. Try and make it as difficult as possible for them to get a shot in, or lure them in by playing deep and attack on the counter. The problem with long shots seems to be largely a case of them being too accurate - not too frequent.

Very constructive, well done!

To everyone else, I'm not moaning I simply don't understand why this is happening.

like i said its the bugs in the game. I wouldnt worry about it. Its nothing you are doing wrong. No doubt you will get the same old people saying its your tactics. Ignore the wind up merchants.

You only have 2 options. Either carry on playing the game and try 2 ignore it (i know thats impossible). Or wait till the new patch comes out which will hopefully fix these problems.

The new patch is supposed to be out before christmas so give it 2 weeks :)

like i said its the bugs in the game. I wouldnt worry about it. Its nothing you are doing wrong. No doubt you will get the same old people saying its your tactics. Ignore the wind up merchants.

See my above post. Yes there are issues with long shots - but the fact that your players are taking them is not one of them - not to a significant extent anyway. I'm afraid to say it, but it very much is tactics. :confused:

The main reason why your players take long shots is often the fact that they have little support. Some players naturally will be inclined to take long shots - through PPMs or just through wanting to play to the best of their abilities. However, if your players are repeatedly finding themselves faced by a seemingly impenetrable defence and no way round or through it (players in space or room to move into - created by a runner or a targetman perhaps) then they may have little choice but to take long shots.

Try and get as many men forward as possible, trying to create space and run through the middle or down the wings looking to get on the end of the pass - and giving other players options. If this still isn't helping - the touchline shout 'work ball into box' is very effective if you're having trouble breaking down defences.

In defence - long shots by the opposition are a sign that your backline is hard to breach. Try and make it as difficult as possible for them to get a shot in, or lure them in by playing deep and attack on the counter. The problem with long shots seems to be largely a case of them being too accurate - not too frequent.

Thankyou for this. Makes a change from the usual "its your tactics" comment with nothing to back it up. I'll have a go at what you have said. Its probably because i play a very narrow formation (which i dont like) because it seems on this game its the only way to win. If you play wide and use wingers you get ripped apart.

maybe it is my tactics and im just not good enough at the game. Until the ME is sorted out i'll never know. Im gonna wait for the next patch then start from scratch taking on board your advice.

thanks again :)

OK my deepest apologies,

I will refrain from making jokes in future as this is neither the time or the place.

Wow! that's the first time I've seen that on these forums. Qudos to you.

ON TOPIC. As long as I know these are bugs that does make me feel better.

Does make my game just about impossible to play though. PLEASE HURRY WITH THE PATCH SI!

Does make my game just about impossible to play though. PLEASE HURRY WITH THE PATCH SI!

I have found great success with a 4-2-3-1 with ball wining CM, box - box CM and 2 wingers with a striker of decent ability you can easily highlight another bug which is ultra prolific strikers.

Well I've just found another problem now!

Playing as Blackburn against Wolves, Ive bossed the game, as I'd expect, Wolves have scored 2 unbelievable free kicks totally against play and then 3 wonder goals from dribbles from the half way line. That in itself could be seen IRL(although very, very rare), but the really strange thing is that in the match stats Wolves have only had 3 shots on goal, and when I turned my game off in disgust, were 5-1 up before half time! I state again my tactics are working and other than the stupid scoreline I'm performing really well. The longer I play the worse this gets and the more of these incidents happen. The sheer amount of things I see suggest:-

1) This game is nowhere near finished

2) SI will have their work cut out trying to patch out every single problem

3) even after the next patch I still see some of these things being in the game(I truly hope not as they have now stopped me playing altogether)

The thing with long shots is that someone like Papa Bouba Diop is utterly shocking at finishing, but he's scored a few screamers in his time.

I can understand a player getting one or two a season, no matter who they are.

Frankly if too many long shots scored was the only problem I'd be ecstatic, but the number of problems are increasing the more seasons I play, culminating in the Wolves game above which incensed me to watch but it was so ridiculous I ended up just laughing.

I don't think those are all bugs, I just think people are underestimating the ability of the AI managers, they will make changes when they are losing 2-0 at 1/2 time, and it is your job to counteract those changes to the best of your ability.

And after reading your post on the Wolves game, it does look like as much a tactical issue as a game engine issue, people are too quick to blame SI for things which are sometimes just down to them

Your points have been raised in a lot of threads already. Not having a go, just pointing out that the next bit isn't just my opinion:

Long shots is well-known and SI have said it's being looked at.

Defending/marking is well-known and SI are definitely addressing this.

Last minute goals has been a myth for several versions now and is always always always down to tactics. Okay that bit could be interpreted as my opinion, but only so far as playability goes. I can't deny it's a little TOO effective at times, but if I change tactics around 78 mins to "contain" and put some decent players in the correct positions (and anchor man etc) I do not concede, even against the best teams.

So brace yourself for 10.2 - should be special.

And after reading your post on the Wolves game, it does look like as much a tactical issue as a game engine issue, people are too quick to blame SI for things which are sometimes just down to them

So wolves scoring 5 goals from 3 shots(no OG's) is my tactics?

I know you're just trying to help and I'm not having a go, but as I said I'm 100% confident my tactics are sound. Assuming my confidence is justified how can anyone explain how a side 17th in the prem can score 3 Maradona type goals in roughly half an hour of football? I know at a stretch it is conceivable (just) but added to 2 wonder free kicks and the fact the stats don't correlate with the game suggest to me something else is going on.

Last minute goals has been a myth for several versions now and is always always always down to tactics. Okay that bit could be interpreted as my opinion, but only so far as playability goes. I can't deny it's a little TOO effective at times, but if I change tactics around 78 mins to "contain" and put some decent players in the correct positions (and anchor man etc) I do not concede, even against the best teams.

Last minute goals aren't really the trouble, it's the implausibility of most of them or "effectiveness" as you put it. Relating to your tactical changes to stop this, I do the same things, and some they stop, but not the most ridiculous one's which are the most annoying because by definition they are implausible.

Archived