Genoa... surely not

Genoa managed to finish 3rd in Serie A in 2010 then in 2011, in 2012 they not in top 3 but then come runners up in 2013 and followed that up with so far 3 consecutive championships.

They have also won 4 Cup competitions and a further Euro Cup win and also have even managed to win the Champions League and the World Club Championships.

I am not going to pretend i follow Italian football that closely irl but surely Genoa are not a major player in that League and especially a major player when it comes to European football?

Anybody else noticed teams winning things that surely r not possible for them to do so irl?

If someone does follow Italian football and can reassure me that Genoa are in fact a force plz feel free to let me know coz for the life of me i would never have imagined these consistent achievements.

a dude played a holiday game untill the season 2039, and strangly enough, genoa were the domminant force in italy and won a hell of a lot. i think it has something to do with the fact they have ALOT of young talent coming through and if they are able to keep hold of it in real life they MAY be able to win somthing consistantly.

Firstly have they been bought out on your game at all ?? Because that may explain some of it

But as for in real life they spent a fair bit this season around 40 million and are sat 5th in Serie A at the moment and done ok last season to. Looking at the state of Serie A and it's big clubs (exception of Inter) perhaps in the not to distant future the balance of power could begin to shift though maybe not quite to the extent iit has on your game but who knows?

In my game they won Serie A once and finished runners up twice. I'm A.C Milan and currently in 2015. Yes, they have a lot of young talents and a lot of potential. Currently the only force to be reckoned in Serie A, as Inter and Juventus are disappointing a lot.

There's a lot of excitement in Italy about the two Genoa clubs (Genoa and Sampdoria), both about their present teams and future stars. Both are doing well and are big teams back on the up, so it's not that unrealistic that Genoa should do very well.

Genoa managed to finish 3rd in Serie A in 2010 then in 2011, in 2012 they not in top 3 but then come runners up in 2013 and followed that up with so far 3 consecutive championships.

They have also won 4 Cup competitions and a further Euro Cup win and also have even managed to win the Champions League and the World Club Championships.

I am not going to pretend i follow Italian football that closely irl but surely Genoa are not a major player in that League and especially a major player when it comes to European football?

Anybody else noticed teams winning things that surely r not possible for them to do so irl?

If someone does follow Italian football and can reassure me that Genoa are in fact a force plz feel free to let me know coz for the life of me i would never have imagined these consistent achievements.

genoa start with many of the best youth prospects - i.e high pA players.

Seen someone else post on here that they won CL in his game even :eek:

Well, they must have some very good an/or overrated prospects in the database. Unfortunately, the Italian part of the database is in general known to contain inflated PAs. :thdn:

Last season Genoa challenged for the 4th CL spot in the league and played some of the best football in the league. They're still a good team, but lost two of their stars this summer, Diego Milito and Thaigo Motta who both went to Inter.

In real life Genoa are the italian version of Man City, they've been taken over buy a billionaire!!!!!

It's not true that they buy the best players like Man City, they have a lot of good young players like Papastathopulos, Criscito, Bocchetti, El Shaarawi etc and have a lot of good experiended players like Crespo, Amelia, Floccari etc. So it is a combination between youth and experience, and with a very good teamwork they seem to be a pretty good team. Currently IRL they are 6th in the league, one point behind Parma and Sampdoria, these 3 fighting for the 4th Champions League spot.

Clearly not, as Genoa are the oldest club in Italy and are in the top ten when it comes to the overall record of all clubs in the history of the Italian league.

Not a major player in the sense that teams like Lazio and Napoli aren't then.

Clearly not, as Genoa are the oldest club in Italy and are in the top ten when it comes to the overall record of all clubs in the history of the Italian league.

Not a major player in the sense that teams like Lazio and Napoli aren't then.

I meant a major player in the sense that i thought there would have been atleast 4-5 teams ahead of Genoa in the pecking order. Much like Aston Villa and Tottenham are not major players when it comes down to winning the Premiership irl.

genoa came 2nd twice in the 2nd n 3rd seasons, they are pretty strong, they play 3 upfront which includes carlos vela and vagner love. i may leave barcelona and go there in a couple seasons, genoa have a few good defenders from the start.

Genoa just won the 2009-10 Europa League in my savegame...

To answer the OP's question, no, Genoa aren't and won't ever be major contenders in Serie A. Not now and especially not in some years. Let alone in Europe.

The president isn't that rich himself and sure isn't one of those who'll shell out gazillions of euros (even if he had all that money).

Moreso, Genoa [the club and the city] hasn't a big enough fanbase to earn adequate revenues in terms of tickets (a relatively small stadium doesn't help either) and merchandise sales.

Basically Genoa's fanbase is limited to the Ligurian-lower Piedmont area, and it's shared with Sampdoria (and of course with the Striped Ones).

Under these conditions, I can't really see Genoa ever rising above their current level of performance.

About the current squad, yes, some players are good, but most of the credit must go to Gasperini, who has crafted his gameplan so well he can make anybody fit in decently.

But with the partial exception of Criscito [who failed miserably at Juventus anyway], the rest of the squad isn't remotely good enough to star in a top club. Yet or anymore.

Genoa are also almost unique in Europe for playing a 3-4-3 formation, add to that, their manager is one of the most innovative coaches in italy (apparently) its no suprise they are so good.

Apparently they have caught the eye of Fergie (who's always on the lookout for tactical innovations and seeing that he pinched the 4-6-0 formation from roma 2-3 years ago), however I can't see Man Utd ever trying a 3-4-3 in the premiership, it surely wouldn't work would it?

Never tried a 3-4-3 formation before in FM may give it a go, would be great if someone had the time to create a Genoa thread.

Genoa surely not?

More like, Genoa, why not?

They are the 4th all time most successful side in Serie A, winning I believe 9 or 10 titles, only 8 or so behind Inter AND Milan.

They also have a wealthy chairman who is a shrewd business man and is not afraid of selling off his best assets for a big buck and bringing in players of similar skill for a bargain. While this might make them a wealthy side by making high profit margins, this might also be the reason why they have not won anything already recently. However, do not forget they have only been back in Serie A for a couple of years.

They have some fantastic players and should be a top 4 side.

Genoa surely not?

More like, Genoa, why not?

They are the 4th all time most successful side in Serie A, winning I believe 9 or 10 titles, only 8 or so behind Inter AND Milan.

Yeah, but the most recent one was won back in 1924, when the league was still split into regional groups.

Moreso, in the earliest days of the "Italian League", the title was contested between just a handful of teams in some sort of Cup-like competition where the title holders were just playing in the final.

Genoa played 2 games in 1898 [title decided in ONE DAY], then just 3 finals from 1899 to 1901.

Quite frankly, those titles are just good for the history books.

They also have a wealthy chairman who is a shrewd business man and is not afraid of selling off his best assets for a big buck and bringing in players of similar skill for a bargain. While this might make them a wealthy side by making high profit margins, this might also be the reason why they have not won anything already recently. However, do not forget they have only been back in Serie A for a couple of years.

Preziosi isn't wealthy enough to have any other strategy than "buy-cheap-and-sell-expensive".

No team in Italy can mount a credible and mid-term title challenge without the backup of a Tycoon.

Lazio and Roma tried to play with the Big Guns, and ended up almost bankrupt after a few seasons [actually BOTH clubs should have been put out of business, but you know how it works...]

It's no coincindence the Big Three have "giants" behind them [FIAT, Saras, Berlusconi]

They have some fantastic players and should be a top 4 side.

I disagree.

Gasperini's tactic is what makes Genoa much better than the sum of its parts.

The players are either Big Clubs rejects/leftovers, or average top-half-of-the-table material, but no World Class people there.

4th place is the highest Genoa could ever dream about, and it would take a very special season for that to happen. And it wouldn't last...

Genoa can, if everything works well, establish themselves as a 4th-7th place team, nothing more.

Archived