Football Manager - Piracy - Consoles - The Future?

I just saw an interview talking about the PC Gaming Slump and I was wondering how it could affect FM on the PC in the future?

The number of sales for Call of Duty 4 were pretty astounding to me. It's sold less than 100,000 on the PC, yet it's sold 1.5 million on the Xbox 360 alone.....WTF?

Is there any chance that FM could move more towards consoles (I HOPE NOT) in the future because of the amount of piracy/lost $$$$'s on the PC?

I must admit that I'm a little surprised that there hasn't been a bigger push by now. I know SI have released games on the Xbox (I've bought them), but at times it's felt to me as if that format has been a little neglected and I wonder if that's about to change in the next few years?

Thoughts? Opinions? Miles?

I just saw an interview talking about the PC Gaming Slump and I was wondering how it could affect FM on the PC in the future?

The number of sales for Call of Duty 4 were pretty astounding to me. It's sold less than 100,000 on the PC, yet it's sold 1.5 million on the Xbox 360 alone.....WTF?

Is there any chance that FM could move more towards consoles (I HOPE NOT) in the future because of the amount of piracy/lost $$$$'s on the PC?

I must admit that I'm a little surprised that there hasn't been a bigger push by now. I know SI have released games on the Xbox (I've bought them), but at times it's felt to me as if that format has been a little neglected and I wonder if that's about to change in the next few years?

Thoughts? Opinions? Miles?

i dont beleive there is a slump in pc sales.

how many top class games are there for the 360 compared to the pc? i'd say there are more on the pc.

its like saying that tv viewing is down now because there were more viewing one show 30 years ago than there are now. only reason is that there are more channels now than then.

2 years ago on another forum we discussed about the "big PC game crash".

To make a long story short, a person claimed that by the year 2010 games for PC's will become rare to maybe even non existent.

At first we laughed about this but he explained the reasons why.

Piracy, OS-systems that become to bugged and might collide with the game code causing to many crashes, Drivers that needs to constantly upgrade and many many more reasons that made sense.

In the end it came down to that PC's wouldn't be commercially interesting enough to create games for and developers would focus towards game consoles.

I think he might be right after all.

I do hope SI will keep producing FM for PC's but if at one point they cannot earn enough from it they might drop it also and focus on consoles.

as far as i'm concerned the pc will always be at the front in terms of great games and great graphics/technology.

consoles will allways lag behind. you only have to look at poor console ports that get put on the pc to see how bad they are compared to pc specific games.

or how games for the pc aren't as good when there's a cross platform release (deus ex2)

pc gamers accept the fact that we have to upgrade drivers. that has not dampened my love of pc games and i doubt it would dampened alot of the other die hard fans.

another factor brought out is the cost of a pc compared to console. the console being cheaper. they claim that to keep up with pc technology you have to keep spending money and upgrading.

well if you want to keep up with console technology you have to keep buying a new console.

over all i believe that if you buy a computer you will get many more years of fun and quality games without upgrading than you would with a console.

Piracy has nothing to do with it at all. All games on all console are pirated.

However, there is a downturn for PC Gamers which is a shame. The biggest thing is that you have to upgrade your PC all the time, maybe not for FM but for other games. It alot more exspensive. With Xbox, you spend 200 quid and have loads of games out already and loads more going to be released. Pc games are becoming rarer and it's a shame because I love gaming on my PC.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MajicM:

Every platform has piracy even those that claim there isn't, everything gets cracked eventually.

I don't think FM would move away from the PC/MAC platform. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think the main reason is piracy.

Many small reasons can make one big issue.

For example consoles don't need updates on drivers, software and hardware to play games.

Kids like consoles more then PC's (me not).

PC game sales are dropping spectacular last years and to take the example of Call of duty 4 that only had 100,000 sold on PC so far, against 1,5 million for the X-box 360 does make me worry for the future of PC gaming.

I'm now 36 of age but hooked on gaming and internet for life i'm sure.

In the past i had a C-64 (considered the most sold computer of all time and countless games came out for it, now gone.

I had a Amiga500 and 1000 also on that system countless games came out and now gone.

PC = still there but sales from games drop so quickly.

If something doesn't make money anymore you can be sure it gets dropped.

I still believe developers will keep creating for PC's, but the main titles might be in future only available on consoles I'm afraid.

Reasons why we will only play games on console in the near future

1) Consoles are cheaper then PCs because the makers sell them at no profit or even at loss jsut to get people to have there console because they will make that money back through game sales.

2) Much lower level of piracy.

3) XNA

4) Dont need to worry about specifications.

5) No updates, drivers etc.

6) Different ways of playing games. Look at the Wii and also in the past the camera on the ps2.

7) Great online play system. This is where consoles have improved a lot recently.

8) Consoles are made for gaming while PCs arent.

Thats about all I can think of for now.

I really, really, really don't want to play Football Manager on a console. Unless, someday, there's a console that can be used in just the same way as a PC. But then it would probably cease to be a console.

Mike If football manager was to be made on ps3 it could be exactly as the game is now for pc.

It has hdd to store data on.

Cell processor.

Keyboard and mouse support.

I'm not totally sure on the 360 but the release of 08 doesn't use a hdd and doesn't have keyboard and mouse support i believe.

I like the others hope FM continues on pcs but i do realize thats if need be consoles can be a viable option for the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dudester:

Mike If football manager was to be made on ps3 it could be exactly as the game is now for pc.

Cell processor.

I'm not totally sure on the 360 but the release of 08 doesn't use a hdd and doesn't have keyboard and mouse support i believe.

I like the others hope FM continues on pcs but i do realize thats if need be consoles can be a viable option for the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could I take a PS3 on the train like my laptop?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dudester:

Cell processor.

I like the others hope FM continues on pcs but i do realize thats if need be consoles can be a viable option for the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could I take a PS3 on the train like my laptop? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no you cant, i meen think of all the cableing and ud need a display etc, impossible pal

icon_biggrin.gif

hehe

well the effort SI put into the console games are poor, obviously not many of you played or bought the game on 360 the past two years, or you would be telling SI to keep away from consoles

they just never supported the console version mainly because it hardly sold, its more of a afterthought for them to make money (hence the release near the end of the season ?!)

trust me, Fm on Pc wont change for a long, very long time

its audience is a Pc audience, the hardcore console gamers, and young kids who play consoles most of the time dont have the attention span and dont spend lots of time on PCs such as FM, fiddling with each specific slider bar etc

i play alot on the console aswell, and FM on pc, but the majority (and this doesnt meen everyone) prefer the pick up and play of a console

hence why FM 360 doesnt sell well

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

Cell processor.

Could I take a PS3 on the train like my laptop? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forget the cabling who wants to lug that beast round to and from work you may as well just take a set of weights to work as well. icon_biggrin.gif

i personally find it pointless playing management games on a console (cm 01/02 on xbox, i think, was my only attempt).

i've not played fm on the 360, so i don't really know how much depth it has in comparason to the pc version. personally, playing fm with a joypad is gay.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by idafc:

Piracy won't kill FM's sales, but bug-ridden releases probably will. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It did for me at least.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Gaffovski:

Would it be possible to update the patches with a console? icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most console games ones with online modes especially get patches even some offline games if issues are there get patches.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iglesia:

Thoughts? Opinions? Miles? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's BS tbh, CoD4 is already the most played FPS game on PC, and the second most played PC game in the world. So i really do find that difficult to believe icon_smile.gif

and It won't go console. console management games are lame icon13.gif

PC's will always have the ability to be uprgraded and make b*tches of consoles.

You have to remember the kids and/or chavs who are unable to use a computer, They have to buy consoles because of the 'difficulties' with PC's.

I don't think we're going to see a complete move away from PC games to console games. But if revenue is down, how are developers and games manufacturers going to make their money? Simple: we are going to see much, much more in-game advertising.

Think this is a new thing? Wrong. Commodore 64/Amiga game Robocod (James Pond II) had in-game advertising for penguins, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't the first game.

London Hellgate has got quite an interesting advertising model in it, so we'll see it more and more. Personally, and as long as it doesn't interfere with playing, I don't this is a bad thing if it ensures that there is enough money to keep producing quality games of the likes of FM, Crysis, World of Conflict, BioShock, etc.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I just saw an interview talking about the PC Gaming Slump and I was wondering how it could affect FM on the PC in the future?

The number of sales for Call of Duty 4 were pretty astounding to me. It's sold less than 100,000 on the PC, yet it's sold 1.5 million on the Xbox 360 alone.....WTF? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think the PC market is anything to worry about at the moment. If anything it's being pushed more with the whole Games For Windows thing.

Also don't think you can really compare FM with Call Of Duty. FM is only likely to appeal to sports fans and more specifically football fans. Call Of Duty will get a lot of more casual players who just want to shoot stuff as well as fans of the series / genre.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">For example consoles don't need updates on drivers, software and hardware to play games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are quite a few system updates released for Xbox and PlayStation 3 as well as updates for the games themselves.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I really, really, really don't want to play Football Manager on a console. Unless, someday, there's a console that can be used in just the same way as a PC. But then it would probably cease to be a console. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you seen the PlayStation 3? I got Unreal Tournament 3 yesterday, which I was quite looking forward to as I enjoyed the last version but couldn't play the new one on my laptop. I loaded up the game and plugged a wireless keyboard and mouse into my PlayStation 3 and it just worked like it used to with no problems. I was quite surprised and happy with this and it was just like the good old days, only in HD! Later on I was lying in my bed surfing the net on my PS3 in relative comfort as there wasn't a laptop lying on top of me icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">well the effort SI put into the console games are poor, obviously not many of you played or bought the game on 360 the past two years, or you would be telling SI to keep away from consoles

they just never supported the console version mainly because it hardly sold, its more of a afterthought for them to make money (hence the release near the end of the season ?!) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bit sad to see comments like that as I know how hard the guys have worked on the Xbox 360 version and all the problems that have to be overcome icon_frown.gif

It's certainly not an afterthought

my main issus with consoles is that in FPS's, using a joypad is not really all that fun. In fact on any game the sensitivity of the joypads is generally too low.

Im pleased that the PS3 has KB and mouse support as I trully believe that you have more control over a game when you use a mouse and/or kb. Sod the vibrating motion sensing crap....

The only way FM would ever trully work on a console in place of the PC is if we coudl have the same level of control over the game, such as data editting, picture and logo additions, customizeable skins and of course, patches.

Now if only I could afford a PS3...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Have you seen the PlayStation 3? I got Unreal Tournament 3 yesterday, which I was quite looking forward to as I enjoyed the last version but couldn't play the new one on my laptop. I loaded up the game and plugged a wireless keyboard and mouse into my PlayStation 3 and it just worked like it used to with no problems. I was quite surprised and happy with this and it was just like the good old days, only in HD! Later on I was lying in my bed surfing the net on my PS3 in relative comfort as there wasn't a laptop lying on top of me icon_wink.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bit off topic, but i thought this wasn't out until March 31st?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

It's well worth it. I am declaring this weekend an Unreal-fest </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stop it Ter your just mean I saw you playing it last night on psn list that was bad enough. icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chilliconcarnie:

my main issus with consoles is that in FPS's, using a joypad is not really all that fun. In fact on any game the sensitivity of the joypads is generally too low.

Im pleased that the PS3 has KB and mouse support as I trully believe that you have more control over a game when you use a mouse and/or kb. Sod the vibrating motion sensing crap....

The only way FM would ever trully work on a console in place of the PC is if we coudl have the same level of control over the game, such as data editting, picture and logo additions, customizeable skins and of course, patches.

Now if only I could afford a PS3... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My right arm is paralused following a otorbike accident so I hate FPS on the consoles as I cant carry the joypads properly.

I have a PS3, I have the keyboard and mouse, I have FPS' on it! icon_smile.gif

Console games can be pirated just as PC games can.

When the games industry bitch about piracy on the PC format I can't help but look at those console game price tags that are invariably £10 more than their PC counterpart release, which kind of implies that the games industry complaining about piracy is merely an excuse to move their product lines to more lucrative hardware formats.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheFuzzyOne:

This is getting Unreal! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*tumbleweed rolls across the screen* icon_biggrin.gif

Consoles used to have two major downsides for me: very little multiplayer support compared to the PC and the fact that you couldn't watch tv while playing something on your PS or whatever.(weird, I know) The next-gen consoles are quite capable of solving the first problem and picture-in-picture handles the second. I don't know about any other gripes people have about consoles but I'm sure they are being solved one by one. PCs are just getting more expensive everyday. Also comparing "just a PC" to a "very cool game station console" does the trick for kids. So consoles are the thing of the future but I'm not sure if FM will be affected by that.

PC:

- Highly customizable

- High end graphic, constantly and easy upgarded

- Almost unlimited Modding capabilities + free mods

- Multi usage (gaming , business, education, watching TV , creating CD/DVD)

- Better CPU and Graphics, more memory

- Improved gaming AI, you don't have to sacrifice AI for graphics (unlike with limited Consoles)

- You can use PC and console games on it

- Continuous performance improvement on almost week to week basis

- Costumer buildable

- still pain to move from one spot to another

- Unlimited multiplayer capabilities

Console:

- Limited usage

- Usually you need specific Console to play specific game

- Modding almost nonexistent , and if there is mod you pay for service to download one= no free mods

- No Educational purpose whatsoever

- You buy one , you are stuck with one for couple of years, by that time performances are archaic.

- Higher game prices

- Good only for action type games without any serious AI

- Graphics were already subpar in comparison to PC only after month from release.

- By the time you get all Consoles and upgrades that you want you are paying more then for good PC with same or better performances(eg. keyboard, bigger HD, improved gamepads, etc..)

- For making Console mods you still need PC.

- Easier movable.

- Limited multiplayer and patching

- In order for Console to evolve in anything better they have to turn in low cost PC's

Needless to say ,consoles are overpriced under performing PC with extremely limited usage.

If anyone is "losing" battle, it's consoles , not PC's .They already have keyboards , extra/better HD's , etc.PS3 already lost one.

And all that for higher price then that you pay for same stuff with better performances on PC.

Kids , seriously, Consoles are waste of your money.

My kid has no interest in Consoles(for all reasons from above), and i have no intention to buy one ever.And tell me why would I.

I've had consoles before and just did'nt like them.

It's the total flexibility of the PC that's always ticked all the boxes for me. I doubt it's a market that will ever die.

I do think that at some point in the future though, the two markets will converge more, with consoles offering increasingly PC "like" features.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DS:

Reasons why we will only play games on console in the near future

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you've obviouskly never been to asia.

going donw a street market you will find twice as many playstation 3 games as you will pc games.

pirated gameboy advance games, pirated 360 games.

Guest arrogantio

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1) Consoles are cheaper then PCs because the makers sell them at no profit or even at loss jsut to get people to have there console because they will make that money back through game sales.

3) XNA

4) Dont need to worry about specifications.

5) No updates, drivers etc.

6) Different ways of playing games. Look at the Wii and also in the past the camera on the ps2.

7) Great online play system. This is where consoles have improved a lot recently.

8) Consoles are made for gaming while PCs arent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most of those are actually reasons to prefer PCs to consoles. Believe it or not, updated drivers are not created to be annoying but to offer incremental improvements to gameplay not possible on consoles.

Consoles are considerably less useful and have considerably shorter lifespans than the average PC, and thus represent considerably poorer value for money despite their greater purchase price.

XNA? Isn't that an initiative to make developing XBox (and Vista PC) games nearly as straightforward and collaborative as developing multiplatform PC games?

The Wii is clever, but Wii style input devices are feasible for the PC, which has a far greater range of peripherals and input devices than any console could ever dream of

And PCs are considerably better for internet-centred gaming, since the rapidly-evolving internet is designed for and developed on PCs, not for the fixed, proprietary and limited computational powers of consoles

-

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">To make a long story short, a person claimed that by the year 2010 games for PC's will become rare to maybe even non existent.

Piracy, OS-systems that become to bugged and might collide with the game code causing to many crashes, Drivers that needs to constantly upgrade and many many more reasons that made sense.

In the end it came down to that PC's wouldn't be commercially interesting enough to create games for and developers would focus towards game consoles.

I do hope SI will keep producing FM for PC's but if at one point they cannot earn enough from it they might drop it also and focus on consoles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

PC games dead by 2010? Didn't FM2008 PC outsell all previous versions? Hands up who would prefer to play an FM without an early release and freely available access to SI and third party modifications and editing utilities...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by arrogantio:

Consoles are considerably less useful and have considerably shorter lifespans than the average PC, and thus represent considerably poorer value for money despite their greater purchase price.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Playstation 2 was released in 2000 and they are still putting out games for it today. I have a feeling you aren't using the same PC from 7 years ago. icon_smile.gif

If we are talking about a 'decent' gaming PC there is no way you aren't paying at least 2-3 times more than a console when you factor in a decent video card like an 8800GTX, minimum 2GB ram, HD, mobo, Case etc...etc... and that machine will still struggle to play some of the latest games (Crysis) at the highest settings.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iglesia:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by arrogantio:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Playstation 2 was released in 2000 and they are still putting out games for it today. I have a feeling you aren't using the same PC from 7 years ago. icon_smile.gif

If we are talking about a 'decent' gaming PC there is no way you aren't paying at least 2-3 times more than a console when you factor in a decent video card like an 8800GTX, minimum 2GB ram, HD, mobo, Case etc...etc... and that machine will still struggle to play some of the latest games (Crysis) at the highest settings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

doesn't mean he can't use the same pc from 7 years ago.

and that pc from 7 years ago could probably play better quality (graphics/more indepth) games than the playstation 2.

a 'decent' gaming pc i would say is better than the latest consoles? so it would cost more but then your factoring in the cost of a monitor etc.

and while you could argue that for us to play the most uptodate games on PC we have to spend money upgrading, but equally for console players to play the most uptodate games they have to purchase the next best console.

or play the new games, on their old consoles, coming out that would have looked good 5 years ago but aren't now.

you can't really say that the pc's ability to be able to be upgraded is a bad thing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">To make a long story short, a person claimed that by the year 2010 games for PC's will become rare to maybe even non existent.

I do hope SI will keep producing FM for PC's but if at one point they cannot earn enough from it they might drop it also and focus on consoles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

PC games dead by 2010? Didn't FM2008 PC outsell all previous versions? Hands up who would prefer to play an FM without an early release and freely available access to SI and third party modifications and editing utilities... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was never a believer of that statement myself, but reading the OP made me think again about that thread, so i wrote it down.

I'm for PC's and i simply don't like consoles, i consider them a step back still.

But i do realize that consoles are making a big progress in the last years and that some major titles like the coming "Grand Theft Auto" for example will not be available on PC.

That many people are getting tired of updating drivers every 3 months.

That many people have trouble knowing what to do to make games work on their system when it crashes.

Like for example "updating Nvidia drivers", most don't know you need to uninstall the former ones first and disable your firewall software before installing, otherwise it might not be installed correctly.

And then when a game crashes they claim they updated them, but don't know they didn't do it correct.

Some turn to consoles because of these issues.

I saw Ter his reply and knowing that the PC market isn't to worry about at the moment gives me hope.

Because to be honest the worse thing that can happen to PC is that developers start to create only for consoles imo.

So to answer your questions no not 2010, but maybe there will be a day that PC's get replaced by other systems and die like C64 and Amiga did in the past.

Dunno if FM08 is best selling version, SI will know that better me thinks. icon_smile.gif

The much lower level of piracy in console games is true, at least in North America, and probably also Europe.

Most consoles require hardware modification in order to allow pirated games to work properly, and most people either don't know how, or are not willing to make the modification.

Yes there is piracy, but it is far more difficult to pirate a console game than a PC game, which only requires a software crack, and no hardware adjustments.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chas (Psyatika):

The much lower level of piracy in console games is true, at least in North America, and probably also Europe.

Most consoles require hardware modification in order to allow pirated games to work properly, and most people either don't know how, or are not willing to make the modification.

Yes there is piracy, but it is far more difficult to pirate a console game than a PC game, which only requires a software crack, and no hardware adjustments. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://digital.asiaone.com/Digital/News/Story/A1Story20080107-44004.html

this says not.

also from what i've heard it's not difficult to by a mod-chipped console or get one chipped

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postal postie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chas (Psyatika):

Yes there is piracy, but it is far more difficult to pirate a console game than a PC game, which only requires a software crack, and no hardware adjustments. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://digital.asiaone.com/Digital/News/Story/A1Story20080107-44004.html

this says not.

also from what i've heard it's not difficult to by a mod-chipped console or get one chipped </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

think that article is from the straits times.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Could I take a PS3 on the train like my laptop? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course you could! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Would it be possible to update the patches with a console? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. Almost every console game out now has a patch available.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The much lower level of piracy in console games is true, at least in North America, and probably also Europe.

You are sadly mistaken. The XBOX 360, for example, nothing todo with hardware is needed to play copied games. Copied games are very easy to come by too.

The future of PC gaming is in game advert driven games.

There's already a free version of FIFA available in South Korea that rakes in over $1m per month through ad revenue. Now EA are going to try it in the UK with a version of Battlefield. It'll take off over here within two years.

Archived