What would YOU do?

So guys, here's the situation.

Season 2, I am manager of AFC Bournemouth in League 2. We are top of the league by 10 points with 10 games left. We are pretty much guaranteed promotion.

Now, my top goalscorer and best striker (22 goals this season) has just damaged his cruciate ligaments in the last game and is now out until the new year (8 - 9 months).

He was a free transfer last season, but his contract is up in the next few months. My Assistant Manager believes he is definately good enough for the step up to League 1 but I am not sure if I should give a new contract to someone who is going to be missing for the first half of next season. Especially as we are 400K in the red and losing around 100K a month.

So, what would YOU do? I think I have already made my decision but would be interested to see what others would do.

Depending on how old he is, i'd keep him and get loan cover for the first part of the season. If he's old id let him go.

Could you let him go then sign him back once he's recovered i wonder. No one else would be able to sign him as he'd probably fail the medical?

It depends on whether you think you can gain promotion or not next season. If you think you can, then let him go, as he probably won't be able to make the step up to the Championship. But if you think you can't, then keep him, as he's one of your best players and will increase the chance of a higher table spot.

He is only 24 years old but Assistant Manager says he will only become a Good League 1 Player. I did wonder if I could re-sign him when he recovers from injury.

Not sure about promotion next season but my main concern is the financial situation at the club.

I have decided to not offer a contract for the time being. Depending on what players I can sign in pre-season, I will re-consider later on.

Thanks for your views guys

What I have found that if you let any players leave your club on a free they usually become not interested in signing for you again.

I'd resign him, if hes your top scorer just sign him for 1 more year n see how he does once he's fit again

Archived