[FM10] As great a manager as Clough not yet but maybe.

Paggioram

This is the first time that I have done a Career post / story so please bare with me. This is going to be a Journeyman career. This is something that is exciting me and looking at others post their careers made me want to do this. I have one objective and that is to be as sucsessful a manager as the great Brian Clough or even Sir Alex.

I am using version 10.1.0. Data is unedited

Loaded are the following leagues

England down to Blue Square North and South

Ireland down to First division

Scotland down to Third division

Italy down to Serie B

Spain down to LIGA adelante

I will be starting unemployed with a reputation of Sunday League Footballer. I will also aim to follow the LLM rules.

I will be posting screenshots during updates that I will do at least twice a season.

So the career begins.....

The 30 year old English manager starts job hunting and suddenly October 2009 Mark Simpson is fired by Bishop's Stortford and they take a risk on the inexperienced English man. The deal that Page has signed will take him June 2012 on a reported wage of £425 per week.

Brief History of the club

Bishop's Stortford F.C. is a football club based in Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, England, currently members of the Conference South (since 2004).

They were established in 1874 and were the last winners of the FA Amateur Cup in 1974. In 1981 they were the first team outside the top level of non-league football to win the FA Trophy. They managed to reach the 3rd Round of the FA Cup in the 1982-83 season. In 1999 the club played Chertsey Town in what was the last Association Football League match to be played in the 20th century in England.

The club gained promotion from the Isthmian League First Division in 2002. The club finished high enough in the Premier Division to become founder members of the new Conference South in 2004. In 2006-07 season the club missed out on promotion to the Conference National when they lost in the play-offs. They are regarded as a good family club.

Honours

English FA Trophy Winners - 1981

English Isthmian League Premier Division Third Place - 1974

English Isthmian League First Division Winner - 1981, 1994

English Isthmian League First Division Runners up - 2002

Bishop's Stortford October 2009 -

On arrival the club are sitting 21st in the league with the board expecting a respectable league position but they have said that they will not judge me on this.

The club were already out of the FA Cup in the 4th Qual. Round.

The club were in the FA Trophy 3rd Qual. Round and a fixture home to Bath awaits.

First Impressions

On arrival and knowing that I have not managed in these kind of leagues before I will be happy to use this season to settle into the job and understand how things work in the lower leagues. So my goal and target is to make sure that the team avoid relegation. Looking at the squad I am quite happy at what I see and there are two names that stand out in the squad that actually quite excite me. Charlie Sheringham and Roy Essandoh.

sheringham.th.jpg

essandoh.th.jpg

Both of these players give me hope that with these strikers I will get some goals.

The board have provided:

Transfer fund - £0

Wage fund - £91 over budget.

So there is not much to play with. I will provide a further update on January 1st and any comments that anyone wants to make are welcome.

Season     Club                     League        Final Lg Poss.     Acheivements
09/10      Bishop's Stortford       BSS           19                    -
10/11      Bishop's Stortford       BSS           4*                    Play-Off winners and promoted
11/12      Bishop's Stortford       BSP           16                    FA Trophy Winners
12/13      Bishop's Stortford       BSP           -                     Nov '12 - Left to join Carlisle United
12/13      Carlisle United          LG2           22                    -
13/14      Carlisle United          LG2           19                    -
14/15      Carlisle United          LG2           -                     Sept '14 - Resigned as manager.
14/15      Scunthorpe United        LG1           13                    Joined September 2014
15/16      Scunthorpe United        LG1           9                     -
16/17      QPR                      LG1           2                     Promoted to Championship
17/18      QPR                      CCC           5                     Promoted to Premier League via Play Offs
18/19      QPR                      EPL           12                    Qualified for Europe through Fair play.
19/20      QPR                      EPL           13                    -
20/21      QPR                      EPL           3 (When left)         Left to join Fiorentina Nov 2020
20/21      Fiorentina               SA            17                    -
21/22      Fiorentina               SA            10                    -
22/23      Fiorentina               SA            1                     Italian Champions (Serie A)
23/24      Fiorentina               SA            5 (When left)         Left to join Man United
23/24      Man Utd                  EPL           4                     -
24/25      Man Utd                  EPL           2                     League Cup Winners
25/26      Man Utd                  EPL           1                     EPL Champions, FA Cup Winners, League Cup Winners
26/27      Man Utd                  EPL           1                     EPL Champions, Champions Cup, FA Cup, League Cup and Community Shield Winners
27/28      Man Utd                  EPL           1                     EPL Champions, Champions, FA and League Cup, Euro Super Cup, World club champions, Community Shield
28/29      Man Utd                  EPL           1                     EPL Champions, League Cup, World Club champions, Community Shield
29/30      At. Madrid               LaLiga        8 (When Left)         Resigned
29/30      Liverpool                EPL           5                     Joined November
30/31      Liverpool                EPL           8                     Euro Cup winner

*Deducted 10 points for going into recievership

[u][b]Trophy Cabinet[/b][/u]

Club
European Champions Cup          2027, 2028
Euro Cup (Europa league)        2030
Premier League                  2026, 2027, 2028, 2029
Seria A                         2023
FA Cup                          2026, 2027, 2028
League Cup                      2025, 2026, 2027, 2028, 2029
Community Shield                2026, 2027, 2028
European Super Cup              2027
Club World Champions            2027. 2028
FA Trophy                       2012

International
2025     Confederation Cup     England
2029     Confederation Cup     England
2026     World Cup             England
2030     World Cup             England

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bishop's Stortford - Jan 2010 update

Well been in charge for two months and all I can say is this has been alot harder than I thought. This first two months have not been the usual new manager comes in a form just changes. There has had to be the first attempts at reshaping the squad and getting in some new players to help the squad as the team was weak and to be fair I do feel that my scouts have found some decent new players who I think will come good and help towards a better second half of the season.

Blue Square South

I joined Bishop's Stortford with them sitting firmly in the relegation zone in 21st place and now on January 1st I can say with a little pride they now sit.......

21st 10 points adrift of safety but over the last few weeks there have been what can only be called signs of improvment and hope for the second half of the season.

Current league record is Played 12 won 1 Drew 5 lost 6

This is not a great record so far but I do feel that turn some draws into wins then my target of staying up is still very much possible.

lgjan10.th.jpg

FA Trophy

Well I drew Bath in 3rd Qual. Round and after 90 mins at home it finished 1-1 with us scoring a dramatic last min equaliser by Roy Essandoh.

However in the replay at Bath it was 0-0 at full time and went to extra time but a 119 min goal by Jim Rollo saw Bath go through and leave me to concentrate on the league which is a good thing. The club went out of the FA Cup before I joined.

Transfers

As I said I had no money so all the signings I have made are all free signings.

transfersjan10.th.jpg

So that is all that has happened so far but I know that I am in trouble but I still think that I can save the club from relegation...

I will update at the end of the season.

Bishop's Stortford 09 - 10 - End of Season Review

Bishop's season is now complete and with it the end of the Blue Square South season. At the start of the season many had thought that Bishop's Stortford could make mid table but with a chance of sneaking the playoffs but the season started badly and the decision was made to fire Mark Simpson at the end of October sitting in 21st. They then appointed unknown manager Joe Page who again start life as a manager and started life as Manager of Bishop's Stortford badly and come the turn of the year were still 21st and 10 points adrift. As the season ended the club had a amazing turn around Only lost 4 matches since Feb 1st and this form saw Bishop's finish 19th in the league.

league0910copy.th.jpg

History was also made with striker Lewis Smith becoming the all time leading scorer for the club and also the Blue Square South's Top Goal Scorer with 21 goals in the league and 22 in all competions. He became the all time leading goal scorer taking his total for his Bishop's Stortford career to 33 goals in 45 games.

Additionally Lewis Smith also picked up the award for Blue Square South Player of the season.

Also fans player of the season.

lewissmith910.th.jpg

However myself as manager have put the turn around of the season down to the purchase of two players in the second half of the season. My scouts were sent to find me a new goalkeeper and a new striker and the arrival of these two for me have been the difference and what gives me confidence for the next season.

Goal Keeper:- Preston Edwards

prestonedwards910.th.jpg

Striker:- Joe Watson

joewatson910.th.jpg

So overall I am happy with the fact that we have stayed up and it has given me a fantastic insight into the lower leagues and what I need to do to sucseed. What this season has also told me is that I was right to try this Journeyman career. There is no doubt this has been hard but this really has been the biggest achievement and the most satisfying achievement I have ever had in the whole of the CM/FM series. I am feeling very positive for the new season.

Rest of the leagues and world

Premierleague

Winners: Liverpool

Others qualified for Champions League: Man Utd (Winners of Champions League), Arsenal (2nd) and Chelsea (3rd)

Relegated: Birmingham, Blackburn and Hull

Championship

Winners: Newcastle

Promoted: Sheff Utd and Middlesbrough

Relegated: Doncaster, Scunthorpe and Barnsley

League 1

Winners: Charlton

Promoted: Leeds and Norwich

Relegated: Carlise, Yeovil, Wycombe and Brentford

League 2

Winners: Notts County

Promoted: Port Vale, Rotherham and Northampton

Relegated: Aldershot and Barnet

Blue Square Premier

Winners: Cambridge

Promoted: Luton

Relegated: Salisbury, Chester, Grays and Hayes and Yeading

Blue Square North

Winners: Fleetwood

Promoted: Corby

Relegated: Harrogate, Gloucester and Redditch

Blue Square South

Winners: Bromley

Promoted: Woking

Relegated: Maidenhead, Newport County and Welling

Cup Winners

World Cup: Argentina

FA Cup: Chelsea

League Cup: Chelsea

JPT: Leeds

Community Shield: Man Utd

FA Trophy: Histon

European Cup: Man Utd

Euro Cup: Lyon

Next Update: Start of 10 - 11 Season.

Bishop's Stortford - Season 10 - 11 - Start of season

Board Expectation: Safe Mid Table

FA Cup: 4th Qual. Round

FA Trophy: 1st Round

Media Pred: 16th

Transfer Budget: 0

Wage: £4.8k per week

Current Wage Spend: £5.8k per week.

Current Manager Rep: Unproven

So as you can see the board have cut my wage budget and again I have nothing to spend however I am still feeling positive about the new season. I will be happy with Mid Table but I really do think I can finish in the top 10 or push the playoffs. However I might regret that come January. I am certain that there will be no transfer activity unless someone special comes along and I can find the budget.

This will be the season that will make or break my career by the end of this season I think I might have a idea of the level of manager I will end up. By the end of this season I will also decide if I should be looking for a new job.

Targets for new season

1) Slim down squad size.

2) Get wages under control

3) Top 10 finish

Next update: Jan 2011.

Career Update

Well I was not going to update till January however 28th October 2010 the Bishop's Stortford manager has shocked the league by taking his team that just avoided relegation last season to the top of Blue Square South but has also made the First Round of the FA Cup.

However I have a decision to make as I have just been approached by Inverness Caledonian Thistle who are in Scotland First Division. They are currently 9th (or Second Bottom) and have a transfer fund. It would be a wage cut though.

I have decided though to continue my Bishop's Stortford reign and I will continue my journey later I just feel that I am on the verge of something here.

Additional update we are now out of the FA Cup in the First Round with a 1 - 0 Loss against Wrexham away. I am not to much upset with this because we dominatated the game with 55 % of poss. and we had 4 CCC to their 1 CCC so we just could not finish but I am happy as I have exceeded what the board wanted.

Also I am not going to update this till the end of the season or if something of intrest happens.

Bishop's Stortford 10-11 - End of Season Review

What can I say what a season in many ways alot more drama than any soap opera. As I said at the start of the season there was yet again no money but there was also no wages as we were over budget and with that alot of players out of contract were release from the club to free up some wages but this made the team very small and compact. However as I stated my target for the season was to go for mid table or maybe sneak the play offs but as the season started we got a amazing start and went top of the league in early october however as injuries mounted up I was seriously struggling and soon by the end of January we had dropped to second and replaced by Chelmsford who never left the top of the league and went on to become champions.

We held Second place then until towards the end of the season when the club went into recievership and were deducted 10 points and managed to finish 4th and went on to the play offs. Additional to the league Bishop's have exceeded the boards expectations with a First round exit in the FA Cup (away at Wrexham) and FA Trophy 3rd round exit (away at Bromley).

Transfers

transfers1011.th.jpg

Play-Offs

Play-Offs First Leg Home vs Salisbury - Drew 0-0

Play-Offs Second Leg Away vs Salisbury - Won 1-0 (Hegarty 113 min pen)

Play-Off Final vs Merthyr - Won 1-0 (Watson 28 mins)

BISHOP'S STORTFORD PROMOTED TO BLUE SQUARE PREMIER!

league1011.th.jpg

Key Players of the season

1) Joe Watson - Fans player of the year

Great Irish striker whos goals have been invaluable with last seasons sensation Lewis Smith has been out long term injured. Goal Scoring record 32 goals in 39 apperances also with 15 assists rating 7.30.

2) Preston Edwards

Fantastic Goal keeper who has kept us in so many games he arrived on a free transfer towards the end of the 09-10 season and this season has gone to new levels in my opinion should be player of the year. 53 Games 46 conceeded 23 clean sheets rating of 6.92.

3) Micheal Synnott

Arrived this season on a free and has been Mr Consistant in defence as the new left back. 49 played no goals and 4 assists with a rating of 7.13.

Around the leagues

Premierleague

Winners: Chelsea

Relegated: Wigan, Stoke, Portsmouth

Championship

Winners: Birmingham

Promoted: Hull, Blackburn

Relegated: Swansea, Preston, Derby

League 1

Winners: Southampton

Promoted: Huddersfield, Swindon

Relegated: Port Vale, Walsall, Northampton, Exeter

League 2

Winners: Shrewsbury

Promoted: Lincoln, Yeovil, Torquay

Relegated: Accrington, Macclesfield

Blue Square Premier

Winners: Rushden

Promoted: Mansfield

Relegated: Barrow, Altrincham, Tamworth, Eastbourne Boro

Blue Square North

Winners: Stafford

Promoted: Southport

Relegated: Solihull Moors, Boston Utd, Guiseley

Blue Square South

Winners: Chelmsford

Promoted: Bishop's Stortford

Relegated: AFC Hornchurch, Tonbridge, St. Albans

Cup Winners

FA Cup: Man City

League Cup: Arsenal

JPT: Barnsley

Community Shield: Liverpool

FA Trophy: Aldershot

European Cup: Chelsea

Euro Cup: Valencia

Club World Champions: Man Utd

European Super Cup: Lyon

Bishop's Stortford - Season 11-12 - Start of season

Board Expectation: Fight Bravely against relegation

FA Cup: 1st Round

FA Trophy: 2nd Round

Media Pred: 21st

Wage: £6.25k

Current Wage Spend: £6.12k

Current Manager Rep: Unproven

This is the final year of my contract so this is the season I need to decide where my future lies. I really do feel that this is going to be one of those long hard seasons with not being able to bring that much in so need just a little bit of luck on our side.

My Target has to be to survive and if I want a job further up the food chain survive well and maybe surprise a few people in the cup. This season I can't help but think might be make or break.

Targets for season

1) Survive

2) Decent cup runs

Breaking news!

Bishop's Stortford chairman Luigi Del Basso has sold the club to a fellow director Matty Bratt. First thing that the new chairman has said is that there will be no fresh investment.

I am a little disappointed to see Luigi go because even in recievership he refinanced the club and has always stood by decisions so lets see what happens with the new guy.

League update currently sitting 15th 9 points off the play offs but more important 14 points clear of relegation zone. We are about to go into January so with a bit of luck I might be able to sneak the play offs.

FA Cup went out in the 4th qual. round after a replay.

Still in FA Trophy going into 2nd round.

Bishop's Stortford 11-12 - End of Season review

Well what can be said about this season. As I said before this was the final season of my first contract and I had decided before that this season was going to either make me or break me and you know what I think it has made me. For all the last three seasons I have been a unproven manager but at the end of this season I am now regional and that means I might be able to gain a better job. However over to the season.

As I said the target was to survive and to be fair we survived quite well with a 16th place finish and clear of the relegation zone which made the board and fans very happy and this was done again with no transfer funds and over the wage budget. 11 players were released and in came 3 players (Elias Wagner, Jordy Brouwer and Mansour Assoumani).

bsp1112.th.jpg

Not much to report however in the FA cup where I went out in the Fourth Qual. Round away at Chelmsford 1-0. However the FA Trophy we went in to and won and won well including eliminating Oxford in the Semi Finals who were the leagues run away leaders so that is my first real trophy for Bishop's Stortford and my first real trophy as a manager.

fatrophy1112.th.jpg

Other things of intrest is the board takeover by another director. I was also offered a new three year deal but I did negotiate it down to a single year deal because I am not sure if it is time to make the move because if I can't expand the squad with some quality I can see another year in the blue square premier.

Key Players

1) Joe Watson - Fans Player of the year

Another great goal scoring season for the little sensation with 28 goals and 12 assists in 55 games with a average rating of 7.07. He is by far one of my greatest FM signings.

joewatson1112.th.jpg

2) Elias Wagner

Incredable winger who has been a bit of a revalation with 16 assists and been a very key player in both the league and FA Trophy.

eliaswagner1112.th.jpg

3) Ronan Ivory

Has been a player who I have had on the bench for all the season previous and started the season on the bench but when he broke into the first team he has been a sensation and it will be very difficult for someone to take him out of the team.

Around the leagues

Premierleague

Winners: Man Utd

Relegated: Hull, Sheff Utd, Blackburn

Championship

Winners: Stoke

Promoted: Nott'm Forest, Leeds

Relegated: Charlton, Blackpool, Swindon

League 1

Winners: Derby

Promoted: Millwall, Colchester

Relegated: Shrewsbury, Yeovil, Lincoln, Tranmere

League 2

Winners: Walsall

Promoted: Chesterfield, Luton, Bradford

Relegated: Hereford, Dag & Red

Blue Square Premier

Winners: Oxford

Promoted: York

Relegated: Southport, AFC Wimbledon, Crawley, Corby

Blue Square North

Winners: AFC Telford

Promoted: Worcester

Blue Square South

Winners: Dover

Promoted: Weymouth

Cup Winners

FA Cup: Liverpool

League Cup: Tottenham

JPT: Swansea

Community Shield: Man City

FA Trophy: Bishop's Stortford

European Cup: Man Utd

Euro Cup: Man City

Club World Champions: Chelsea

European Super Cup: Chelsea

European Championships 2012: Italy

Bishop's Stortford - Season 12-13 - Start of season

Board Expectation: Safe Mid-Table position

FA Cup: 1st Round

FA Trophy: 3rd Round

Media Pred: 17th

Wage: 6.2k

Current Wage Spend: 6.7k

Current Manager Rep: Regional

Well I really think this is going to be a real challenge because the board want something more than last season and again there is no cash available and again before we start I need to get the wage budget down. However I have two great home preseason friendlies against Arsenal and Sturm Graz. As it looks like I am not going to be able to bring in the quality so again I will target to stay in the league and target better than 16th. I am looking to try and get to a round of the FA Cup that causes a money spinner and who knows lets have another crack at the FA Trophy.

I only have this year for a contract so lets see what happens from here.

November update

Joe Page has left Bishop's Stortford and signed for League Two Carlisle United. After meeting the press he said that it was with heavy heart that he has left Bishop's Stortford and that he will forever hold the club in high regard but the lure of a league two side was to hard to turn down.

The season so far for Manager Joe Page at Bishop's Stortford has been another surprise one he leaves Bishop's Stortford 10th in Blue Square Premier only 4 points off the play offs. Still in the FA Cup in the 1st Round but in need of a replay.

However after 1111 days in charge with a record at Bishop's Stortford of Games: 160 Won: 65 Drew: 46 Lost: 49 Goals For: 253 (1.6 p/m) Goals Against: 205 (1.3 p/m) Difference: + 48.

While there I got Bishop's Stortford Promoted via the play offs and won a FA Trophy but have departed 12th November 2012.

Carlisle United - Season 12-13 - Joined November 2012

Board Expectation: Win Promotion

FA Cup: 2nd Round

League Cup: Enjoy it

Johnson Paint Trophy: 2nd Round

Media Pred: 6th

Wage: 21.9k

Current Wage Spend: 22.3k

Stadium: Brunton Park

Capacity: 18,000 (8000 seated)

Current Average Att: 4416

Season Ticket Holders: 1864

Managers Wage: £675

Contract Length: 2.8 years contract

Brief History of club

The club was formed on 17 May 1904 at Shaddongate United's Annual General Meeting

[1] when the club's members voted to change the club's name to Carlisle United. The newly formed club initially played at Milhome Bank and later at Devonshire Park, finally settling at their current home Brunton Park situated on Warwick Road.

There is a myth that still persists to this day that the club was formed from the amalgamation of Shaddongate United and Carlisle Red Rose. Carlisle United actually defeated Carlisle Red Rose 3-0 in the 1905/06 FA Cup.

Carlisle were elected to the Football League Third Division North in 1928 replacing Durham City. They won their first game in the league, the side of Prout, Coulthard, Cook, Harrison, Ross, Pigg, Agar, Hutchison, McConnell, Ward and Watson beating Accrington Stanley 3-2.

Carlisle were members of the Third Division (North) until 1958, and Fourth Division until they won their first promotion in 1962. They won consecutive promotions in 1964 and 1965, and established themselves as a Second Division side. They were promoted to the First Division for the 1974-75 season. They won their first three fixtures of the campaign to top the table, but finished the season in bottom place and were relegated.

Another relegation followed in 1977 before returning to the Second Division in 1982 under Bob Stokoe. With players like Malcolm Poskett and Tommy Craig, they mounted a promotion challenge in the 1983-84 season but finished 7th after a late slump, and consecutive relegations followed in 1986 and 1987.

Honours

Coca Cola League 1 Winners: 1965

Coca Cola League 1 Runners Up: 1982

Coca Cola League 2 Winners: 1995, 2006

Coca Cola League 2 Runners Up: 1964

JPT Winners: 1997

JPT Runners Up: 1995, 2003, 2006

Managers Thoughts

Firstly the board do not expect me to achieve anything so there is no pressure on me this season. They are currently 17th in Coca Cola League 2 but only 6 points off the play offs. As I look at the squad the main players are getting on a little bit in Ian Harte, Graham Kavanagh and Paul Thirwell.

The main problem I can see is that this squad are not great at scoring goals and that is something that I need to address. None of my backroom staff from Bishop's Stortford are coming with me but some of my players might just join in the January transfer window if I can find some cash. I am looking forward to this challenge as the only thing I need to worry about is the league as we are out of all the other cups. So anyway onto this new challenge I will give you all a update some stage in January.

Carlisle United 12-13 - End of Season review

What can I say about this season or half season. Well after a first half of the season at Bishop's Stortford and over achieving again and had all the feelings of a promotion year or a play off run I get offered a chance to manage in the leagues with Carlisle so I pack my bags for the chance to be a league manager and the extra £125 per week (I was not really focused on the money). OH MY GOD I MADE A MISTAKE!.

I took over and the squad was in turmoil. They were expected to gain promotion so all I can say is thank god the board were not judging me. There was no confidence, no money and over wage budget and no player wanted to sign. Goals were the biggest issue well lack of. When I joined in November they had one striker who had not played all season and they had only scored 9 all season to that date. I took over and went with the formation that had bought me joy as Bishop's Stortford a nice simple 442 but this team could not defend and before I know it I was stuck in a huge relegation battle that I did not expect. I moved away from the trusted 442 eventually to a very defensive park the bus style formation just to try and pick up a few clean sheets which did come. So after this half season of hell we have managed to stay up with a 0-0 on the last day of the season to mean we finished 3rd bottom and out of the relegation zone.

Unless I can do some building and get confidence up next season will be the same as this and I know for a fact if that is the case I might just pack my bags and move on. This has been a bigger challenge and a bigger disappointment than my time at Stortford and I am starting to think that the football world are seeing me as a lower league manager who is able to just about work without money. I think my ambitious goal of being a great manager like Clough or Ferguson who built a legacy might be in danger but not giving up all hope yet.

league1213.th.jpg

Key Players

1) Lenny Pidgeley

Has done well for me. He dropped out of the side to make way for a new keeper but when the keeper got a knock Lenny came back in to the side and never looked back and looked very solid so I think he was one of my stars.

pidgeley1213.th.jpg

2) Paul Sludden

The clubs one and only striker who never played he came into the side and has been brilliant for us. He got 18 goals in the end so a credit to the team.

3) Tom Aldred Fans player of the year

By no means spectacular as a defender but has been solid and a definite player who I think will improve. He is someone I will be watching going forward.

aldred1213.th.jpg

Around the leagues

Premierleague

Winners: Tottenham

Relegated:Birmingham, Newcastle, Stoke

Championship

Winners: Blackburn

Promoted: Sheff Utd, Wigan

Relegated:Crystal Palace, Millwall, Coventry

League 1

Winners: Charlton

Promoted: Preston, Doncaster

Relegated:Bradford, MK Dons, Hartlepool, Luton

League 2

Winners: Grimsby

Promoted: Bournemouth, Rushden, Port Vale

Relegated:York, Yeovil

Blue Square Premier

Winners: Barnet

Promoted: Kettering

Relegated:Chelmsford, Worcester, Weymouth, AFC Telford

Blue Square North

Winners: Southport

Promoted:Barrow

Blue Square South

Winners: Basingstoke

Promoted:Crawley

Cup Winners

FA Cup: Chelsea

League Cup: Man City

JPT: Preston

FA Trophy: Gateshead

European Cup: Juventus

Euro Cup: Anderlecht

Club World Champions: Man Utd

European Super Cup:Man Utd

Carlisle United - Season 13-14 - Start of season

Board Expectation

League: Safe Mid-Table

League Cup: Enjoy the experience

Media Pred: 15th

Wage: 14.6k

Current Wage Spend: 19.1k

So here we go the first full season in charge of Carlisle and now I am being judged. If this is going to be anything like my Bishop's Stortford career this might be one hell of a ride. Yet again I have no cash to spend but now I need to get my wage bill down and also the age of my squad is getting silly so I need to get that down. There is no doubt in my mind that I can get this team into a safe mid table spot but if I could get a little luck I could push on.

I really want to surprise people this season and have some good cup runs to get the club some money to help us move on. I am happy and a little positive that this season could be a good one but I think I also now know for sure that this will be the season that could see me fired and sent back down to non league so I need to get this right.

PLEASE NOTE: That from this season I am using 10.2.0.

This is a good read :thup:

You have had so much drama in just a few seasons. I bet you were gutted when you got the points deduction at Bishop's Stortford.

Are Carlisle's finances in the red? or are things a bit more stable?

Thanks for the comments WH glad you are enjoying it.

Yeah I was a real pain the points deduction but it all still ended well and we still got promoted.

Calisle's finances were bad when I joined and are still bad and seem to be a little worse to be honest. £747,000 in the red and a chairman that says he will not leave by his own volition so I should not expect a takeover so it is going to be a fight to make sure we dont go into admin because a point deduction this season might kill me.

Hello again,

Just to answer your question about the links to screenshots in text.

[noparse] Transfers [/noparse] would give you the following. Transfers.

When linking it this way it might be better to selest a bigger size in Image shacks resizing options as you upload. I hope this make sense. If not let me know and i'll try again. ( I'm not always too good at explaining things)

I'll be following :thup:

Carlisle United 13-14 - End of Season review

What have I done!!!

To say the move to Carlisle was the biggest mistake in my career so far would be a understatment. This has been the single biggest learning curve of my life and has taught me to be more picky in the future about the teams I manage. The first year and a half of my career at Carlisle have been a waste and is time I will never get back and also I still have a year to run. I have already decided that unless something miraculas happens (and it is Christmas so you never know) I will not be renewing my contract and will be moving to pastures new I will even consider going back to non league because this time here has caused mental scarring.

OK suppose I have to talk about the season. I managed to surprise a few people and go one round further than the board wanted in the league cup and met the expectations in the FA cup and JPT. The league well I have not been any higher than 12th and that was only for a week but also there has never been any indication that this would be a relegation season and to be fair after August I really though if I finish bottom I would have over achieved.

The season previous I had been under wage budget so at the start of the season the board increased their expectations and lowered my wage budget so I was just short of 5k over budget. So this needed to be addressed of my entire squad only two players would take a pay cut and the rest either wanted a rise or to stay the same so the clear out had to happen. All players with any skill or ability left the club and this finally put us in wage budget but still no transfer funds. No players were able to join the club because of wage demands so in come five players on loan just to give me a chance all the rest were players of a similar standard of that I had at Bishop's Stortford the only advantage I gained were the two who accepted pay cuts were my star striker (Paul Sluddon) who managed 19 and my keeper (Lenny Pigeley). Only once this season have I been able to put out a full bench of 7 and there were no quality subs.

This summer is going to be significant because if the board lower my wage budget again this club are dead and even David Blaine or David Copperfield would struggle to turn it around. Still the club are losing money even under the wage budget it is that bad that I have a poor pitch and the board are refusing to change it due to finances. Like someone else here has said it is not about the start it is about the Journey and that is what I keep telling myself.

On a intresting note my old boys Bishop's Stortford managed the Semi Finals of the play-offs only failing on penalties.

League Table

Key Players-Player of the Year - Lenny Pidgeley

1) Paul Sludden

Another great season and to me he was my player of the season. Without him I really think there would have been no form of excitment in the season. In 38 games he scored 20 assisted 6 average rating of 7.04.

2) Chris Hathaway

For a 19 year old this was a good breakout year for him. Not outstanding but steady. I think he might develop into some player.

3) Kevan Hurst

My main assist scorer but as far as I am concerned he was not spectacular but was alway a threat. Next season well lets see shall we.

I did not class Lenny as one of my three because he conceeded 51 goals and really from what I saw some of the losses were down to him.

Around the leagues

Premierleague

Winners: Man City

Relegated: Blackburn, Leeds, Nott'm Forest

Championship

Promoted: Newcastle, Bristol City

Relegated: Preston, Doncaster, Colchester

League 1

Winners: Coventry

Promoted: Notts County, Rotherham

Relegated: Rushden, Leyton Orient, Chesterfield, Grimsby

League 2

Winners: Exeter

Promoted: Hartlepool, Bradford, Northampton

Relegated: Tranmere, Cheltenham

Blue Square Premier

Winners: Hereford

Promoted: Dag & Red

Relegated: Dover, Barrow, Stevenage, Forest Green

Blue Square North

Winners: Chester

Promoted: AFC Telford

Blue Square South

Winners: AFC Wimbledon

Promoted:Grays

Cup Winners

FA Cup: Tottenham

League Cup: Tottenham

JPT: Scunthorpe

Community Shield: Tottenham

FA Trophy: Dag & Red

European Cup: Genoa

Euro Cup: Inter Milan

Club World Champions: Juventus

European Super Cup: Anderlecht

World Cup: Brazil

Carlisle United - Season 14-15 - Start of season

Board Expectation

League: Safe Mid-Table

League Cup: Enjoy the experience

Media Pred: 16th

Wage: 12.2k

Current Wage Spend: 15.5k

Here we go another season but this season is the final of my contract and yet again I need to get the wages down and work again on a shoe string.

So my target yet again is fight like hell to stay in this league and just keep fighting to turn the club into something. I am all but certain that this will be my final season at Carlisle as I really do think I have not progressed. So lets see what the season brings shall we.

Breaking news - Sept 2014

The Carlisle knightmare is over!

The poor start to the season as expected after manager Joe Page got the wages under control and the club started to make a profit the news kept reporting that if the team lost again he could be sacked so for the sake of his reputation has resigned from the club. On leaving he side whos average age is now 21 said as he departed that this had been a very difficult time at the club while it is in transition and wished them well for the future.

To be fair this new young squad of players from my youth system has got me quite excited about this but to be fair this Carlisle adventure was never right so this is really best for everyone.

Carlisle Record

663 days in charge

Played 91 Won 21 Drew 23 Lost 47 Goals For 103 (1.1 p/match) Goals against 167 (1.8 p/Match) Goal difference -64

So where next? ..........

So not out of work for long as four days later!!!

Scunthorpe United - Season 14-15 - Joined September 2014

Board Expectation: Respectable

FA Cup: 3rd Round

League Cup: 2nd Round (not judged)

Johnson Paint Trophy: Semi Final

Media Pred: 13th

Transfer Budget: £44k

Wage: 33.9k

Current Wage Spend: 35k

Stadium: Glanford Park

Capacity: 9183 (7000 seated)

Current Average Att: 4189

Managers Wage: £750 per week

Contract Length: 2 years contract

Brief History of club

Founded in 1899, Scunthorpe United are a professional English club currently playing in the Coca-Cola League 1.

As a club which enjoyed its best spell of success during the 2000's and their last competition win coming as recently as 2014, The Iron are a club with a growing history. Scunthorpe won the English 3rd tier for the only time in 2007, finishing runners-up in English 4th tier for the only time in 2005, and won the Johnstone's paint Trophy in 2014 and finished runners-up once.

Honours

Coca-Cola League 1 Winners: 2007

Coca-Cola League 2 Runner up: 2005

Johnstone's Paint Trophy Winners: 2014

Johnstone's Paint Trophy Runner Up: 2009

Managers Thoughts

Ok a fresh start and I am happy for it and now I hope I can really crack on with my career. Not only did the club get rid of their manager they also got rid of their assistant manager the b********. So inside knowledge in the team has gone so back to Carlisle to take David Bayliss because we did work well and his stats are quite good.

The club are currently 13th in league 1 but only 2 points off playoffs. More positive though I have a transfer budget fantastic but over wage budget but I will address this as I am getting good at dealing with over budget. There is also a couple of youngsters at Carlisle I will attempt to bring here in Jan. So here we go this I hope will be a season to remember and I can put the knightmare of the last two years behind me.

I have to get the wage budget under control and help the club start a profit but It is nice to concentrate on the football side of things and the results I am seeing are very promising. The major thing for me is that I just paid out my first transfer fee for a player as I have bought the right winger from Bishop's Stortford who I bought there so many years ago now.

As there are more people enjoying this I am going to add another update in January from next season if people would like me to.

Scunthorpe United 14-15 - End of Season review

For the first ime since I left Bishop's Stortford I am happy at a club and I feel content. This is a club who I would like to turn into a force and get them into the Championship and might take a big club to drag me away from here.

To discuss the season once I took over we have been sat in the playoff spots for a long time but towards the end of the season we did drop off but it all seemed to coincide with injuries to my key defenders. Through the season my home form with brilliant but my away form dropped off and it is something that I will need to address if we are to meet my goals.

League Progress

There is not much else I can say about this season as the cups were a no go but last season was to find my feet. The major highlight though for me is that for the first time in the whole of my journey I have spent money and bought a player that player is Elias Wagner from Bishop's Stortford for 100k. I had bought Elias to the country originally and he has been worth it.

Just a quick note on my previous clubs:

Bishop's Stortford - Have been relegated back to Blue Square South in the last season. This is sad to see but I have confidence that they will bounce back.

Carlisle - Still in league 2 but have done nothing else.

League Table

Key Players-Player of the Year - David Vaughan

1) David Vaughan

Captain fantastic he has been for me. He has been solid and controlled my midfield for me. 42 games 6 goals 8 assists 4 mom 7.17 average rating.

2) Sam Togwell

Has been a rock as a holding midfielder. He has been the key to helping the defence out of alot of situations and has been a credit to the team.

40 games 3 goals 4 assists 2 mom 7.11 average rating.

3) Elias Wagner

Truth is if he had been at the club from the start of the season he would have been the player of the year. I wondered to myself if he could make the step up and he could and I think did it in style.

20 games 6 goals 1 assist 4 mom 7.07 average rating.

Around the leagues

Premierleague

Relegated: Wigan, Newcastle, Bristol City

Championship

Winners: Leeds

Promoted: Blackburn, Stoke

Relegated: Notts County, Sheff Wed, Rotherham

League 1

Winners: Preston

Promoted: Colchester, Barnsley

Relegated: Torquay, Oldham, Blackpool, Port Vale

League 2

Winners: Luton

Promoted: Rushden, Grimsby, Crewe

Relegated: Hereford, Brentford

Blue Square Premier

Winners: Yeovil

Promoted: Tranmere

Relegated: Bromley, Bishop's Stortford, Gateshead, Aldershot

Blue Square North

Winners: Nuneaton

Promoted: Droylsden

Blue Square South

Winners: Dorchester

Promoted: Weymouth

Cup Winners

FA Cup: Man Utd

League Cup: Wolves

JPT: Colchester

Community Shield: Tottenham

FA Trophy: Crawley

European Cup: Lyon

Euro Cup: Aston Villa

Club World Champions: Genoa

European Super Cup: Genoa

Scunthorpe United - Season 15-16 - Start of season

Board Expectation

League: Safe Mid Table

League Cup: 2nd Round

Johnson Paint Trophy: Semi Final

Media Pred: 13th

Wage: 19.9k

Current Wage Spend: 26.8k

So yet again I have a financial situation to enjoy. However this time it does not worry me because I am use to this. I think I am the man they turn to when they need finances sorting. Before this news hit me I had signed two players on pre contracts at the end of their contracts they are Scunthorpe Legend Gary Hooper and now experienced Midfielder Michael Tonge. I think there is enough players that I do not need that I can get rid of to sort out the wage totals and also bring in some loan stars to suplement the squad.

This season I really think that I can target a play off spot as Hooper is a goal scorer that we have missed. So for the first time in a long time I am looking forward to this season.

Scunthorpe United 15-16 - End of Season review

All in all this was a exceptional season. With me taking the cash strapped Scunthorpe to the brink of the playoffs with only a last day defeat to Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsbrough. So to finish 9th is a good result for us. Again as I stated at the start of the season I needed to sort out the wage budget that was arranged and team sorted out to the bare bones and a large number of loan players coming to the club.

Transfers

League Progress

It was another bad season in the cups except for the FA Cup where I took Championship Leicester to a replay and only just lost in the replay so again very happy.

I am also happy to say that Michael Tonge got goal of the season which I am very proud of. I really could not be happier or prouder of a group of players and the best group I have had.

League Table

This is however the final story about my life at Scunthorpe united and I will miss it as much as I missed Bishop's Stortford because just before the end of the season I had agreed a pre contract with QPR who have just been relegated to League 1 but I will discuss QPR and the new challenges when I do my start of season.

So the Scunthorpe Record is:

Days in charge: 621. Played: 94 Won: 36 Drew: 24 Lost: 34 Goals For: 137 (1.5 p/m) Goals against: 131 (1.4 p/m) Difference: +6

Of my former clubs Bishop's Stortford missed out on the playoffs on goal difference.

Carlisle finished 13th 6 points off the playoffs so they can be very proud.

Key Players-Player of the Year - Michael Tonge

1) Sabino Pagano

He has been a sensation of a loan signing from Liverpool and was the man to take us forward.

Played: 42 Goals: 27 Assists: 7 MoM: 6 Rating: 7.30

2) Michael Tonge

He controlled the midfield and chipped in with a large amount of goals and is now in the history books of Scunthorpe as most assists as a signing. He is by far one of the best signings I have ever made. However at 33 I am not sure if I will bring him to QPR.

Played: 51 Goals: 8 Assists: 17 MoM: 6 Rating: 7.24

3) Elias Wagner

My greatest signing in this career and I might go as far as saying my best signing since someone in FM08. Another sensational season from this guy.

Played: 52 Goals: 11 Assists: 16 MoM: 3 Ratings: 7.09

Around the leagues

Premierleague

Relegated: Birmingham, Bolton, Wolves

Championship

Winners: Wigan

Promoted: Newcastle, Nottm Forest

Relegated: Colchester, QPR, Huddersfield

League 1

Winners: Notts County

Promoted: Walsall, Northampton

Relegated: Luton, Exeter, Bristol Rovers, Swindon

League 2

Winners: Chesterfield

Promoted: Shrewsbury, Torquay, Mansfield

Relegated: Yeovil, Dag & Red

Blue Square Premier

Winners: Cheltenham

Promoted: Wrexham

Relegated: Woking, Weymouth, Chester, Ebbsfleet

Blue Square North

Winners: Corby

Promoted: Stalybridge

Blue Square South

Winners: Lewes

Promoted: Salisbury

Cup Winners

FA Cup: Aston Villa

League Cup: Wolves

JPT: Grimsby

FA Trophy: Hereford

European Cup: At. Madrid

Euro Cup: Genoa

Club World Champions: Lyon

European Super Cup: Aston Villa

European Championships: Spain (Beat England in the Final)

QPR - Season 16-17 - Start of season

Board Expectation

League: Promotion

League Cup: 2nd Round

Johnson Paint Trophy: They do not care

Media Pred: 2nd

Transfer Budget: 6.4m

Wage: 121.9k

Current Wage Spend: 123.3k

Contract Length: 2 year deal

Wage: £1,600 per week

Brief History of club

Founded in 1882, The club enjoyed probably their best spell of success during 1960s. Although now enduring a 33 year barren spell, having not won a competition since 1983, The Rs still have a history of which they can be justly proud. QPR finished runners-up in the English top division for the only time in 1976, finished runners-up in the FA Cup in 1982, won the English 2nd tier for the only time in 1983 and finished runners-up on two occasions, and won the League Cup in 1967 and finished runners-up once.

Honours (Things won only)

Coca-Cola Championship: 1983

Coca-Cola League 1: 1967

English League Cup: 1967

English Southern League Prem Division: 1908, 1912

English Wester League Premier Division: 1906

Managers Thoughts

So here we go another new club. This is going to be the biggest challenge of my career so far. Why I hear you ask because now I have money the over wage budget does not bother me because alot of players do not want to renew their contracts and I have players that have agreed to go elsewhere. I think this will be a interesting challenge but I know for a fact that I need to get the team sorted and hit the ground running. I have agreed a pre contract with Giles Barnes who will be joining us and I have got rid of all the backroom staff and bought in the whole of my Backroom Staff from Scunthorpe United. I have decided that the backroom team I have now is going to be my backroom team now.

So here we go my biggest challenge starts now. I will let you know how this goes.

Yes they still got Briatore as a director but not chairman. They have stood by their managers as they have never made the prem with all their money. They have fired 4 managers inc. Ryan Giggs and Stephen Carr. In all that time they have only finished in the top half once and they made the play offs and failed. They are waiting for a manager to turn them into something maybe its me. Or maybe they hired me to save the money.

QPR - Season 16-17 - End of August Update

Ok this is just a brief update so that I can talk about my experience at this sleeping giant. What I have found is this is something a lot bigger than I have seen in my career so far. For instance I have sold just over 8000 season tickets for the season and that is more than my highest attendences at my other clubs.

Now I can hear what you are saying what have I done with all this money I have to spend well I decided that I would take my lead from Terk and what he has done at Liverpool because I want to stay so secure with the money and not have another team out of cash so I decided that I would only spend the money that the club has made from sales so from players that have gone I have made £9.25m and have bought players to the value of £8m. The major problem that I had was that when all the out of contract players who would not renew and the pre sales I had no goal keepers left at the club!.

So the current form is that I have been quite steady but not spectacular I am currently 4th but have not been beaten yet in the league so my record is Played: 7 Won: 3 Drew: 4 Lost: 0 Goals for: 14 against: 8 I am only 3 points off league leaders Crewe.

In the league cup I beat Luton 2-0 and then got Championship Southampton in round 2 at their place and lost 0-1 with the winner coming in the 86th min scored by Gary Hooper who they signed from Scunthorpe. I am also still in the JPT after I crept past Barnet on Penalties.

I will give you all a further update later in the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Just about finished the season it has been a slow season for me due to work commitments. I have two great keepers now one quite experienced called Alnwick. Also a youngster called Rutter and both of them are fighting each other tooth and nail. One has a bad game in comes the other and done that all season and been solid.

So far my key man has been Pagano from Liverpool who I had at Scunthorpe on loan but have bought him for QPR and he has currently scored 24 goals so far with about 8 games to play. I am currently 3rd 2 points off second but I have not been out of the top 6 all season.

The one major worry I have is that Injuries are starting to set in and I think I need a automatic top 2 finish because my squad will be dead if I end up in the playoffs. The other bonus is that I have a couple of youngsters who have broke through so another very positive sign.

What this season has done is shown me that I can work with money so I can work in both spectrums so I am sure that I can be a good manager anywhere but I do think I will never be spectacular.

QPR 16-17 - End of Season review

Job Done. How happy and proud am I. I got QPR promoted to the Championship at the first time of asking and additionally this will be the highest level that I have managed to date. There was nothing spectacular about the season as I have had to do some reshaping and get the team to gel which I am happy has happened. This was a tough season because everyone was targetting me and wanted to get the win over me and that was a different experience for me but I handled myself well and finished second behind the brilliant Bradford. This is the second promotion of my career and I am happy but again the hard work starts next season and new challenges that face me and my squad.

League Progress

I decided that I wanted a streamline team so it was a small squad and to be fair this really started to hit me towards the end of the season as injuries hit. As you can see below the squad that I have now is down to just two per position but I think in the Championship I need more options.

QPR Squad

I have enjoyed this season and I am looking forward to the season ahead and see if I can get a second promotion however as I look at the season I have additional joy as Bishop's Stortford got promoted back to the Blue Square Prem but with sadness to see Scunthorpe drop to League 2 but with their finances I am not surprised as they lost alot of key players.

League Table

Key Players-Player of the Year - Sabino Pagano

1) Sabino Pagano

Brilliant season for this guy. He was brilliant at Scunthorpe and I was delighted that Liverpool would sell him to me out right and what a great player and a great striker. He is one of those players that are very difficult to get hold of as in a 20+ goals a season.

Played: 39 scored: 22 Assists: 9 MoM: 5 Ave Rat: 7.29

2) Gary Borrowdale

Had a very solid season for a left back and did billiantly. There is not much I can say his season because he was seriously professional and defended very well.

Played: 35 scored: 1 Assists: 5 MoM: 1 Ave Rat: 7.20

3) Joe Ryan

Brilliant young striker who was at the club before I got there and has be brilliant and alongside Pagano has been the main source of my goals at the club.

Played: 37 Scored: 18 Assists: 12 MoM: 6 Ave Rat: 7.16

Special mention to Elias Wagner who has been out most of the season but still had a good season and I am looking forward to his Championship campaign.

Around the leagues

Premierleague

Relegated: Stoke, Leeds, Nottm Forest

Championship

Promoted: Wolves, Southampton

Relegated: Watford, Barnsley, Coventry

League 1

Winners: Bradford

Promoted: QPR, Sheff Wed

Relegated: Hartlepool, Chesterfield, Scunthorpe, Doncaster

League 2

Winners: Leyton Orient

Promoted: Wycombe, Blackpool, Rochdale

Relegated: Tranmere, Darlington

Blue Square Premier

Winners: Brentford

Promoted: Hereford

Relegated: Dorchester, Histon, Grays, Stalybridge

Blue Square North

Winners: Ileston

Promoted: Gateshead

Blue Square South

Winners: Bishop's Stortford

Promoted: Eastbourne Boro

Cup Winners

FA Cup: Sunderland

League Cup: Arsenal

JPT: Huddersfield

Community Shield: Man City

FA Trophy: AFC Wimbledon

European Cup: Lyon

Euro Cup: FC Bayern

Club World Champions: At. Madrid

European Super Cup: Genoa

QPR - Season 17-18 - Start of season

Board Expectation

League: Learn from the experience

FA Cup: Fourth Round

League Cup: Third Round

Media Pred: 17th

Transfer Budget: £8.0m

Wage: £151,732 p/w

Current Wage Spend: £135,548

As the season starts I have been offered a new two year deal which I have signed and my new wage of £2,300 p/w. The board just want me to enjoy myself but as I have decided to buy very little then my team should already be gelled and we can hit the ground running and I seriously cannot think that we could actually make the playoffs but I did not tell the board that. I will concentrate on the cups also as I no longer have to worry about the JPT or the earlier rounds of the FA cup. In the whole of my journey so far this is the highest league I have managed and I am determined not to drop back into league 1. At the time of writing we are in talks to sign Joleon Lescott who should help the defence. I am looking forward to this season and will report again once the transfer window closes.

Archived