Hull, Bolton, Stoke - Like To Get The Ball Down And Play Possession Football?

Not a big rant, cant be bothered anymore, but is'nt the above statement from a respected Scout about your upcoming opposition enough to tell you that this game is so so wrong?

Fair enough it may well be my tactics, but how do teams like this play as described knocking the ball about between each other and putting together 30 or 40 perfect passes all the way into the final third of the pitch?

Maybe i'm just a bit miffed, i've just spent the last two days without much sleep, watching matches in extended mode trying to come to terms with playing a tactic set based on how your opposition play and the quality of players(or lack of) that they have at the club.

Yes mock me thats fine, then go back to your Man Utd,Chelsea Inter or Barcelona games and keep arguing that this is the best and most realistic game ever, that or you might just be one of the 2 or 3 people who understand just how to play this game and adjust accordingly so well done you Gary Kasparov(or one of those other sad Chess playing gits)

I have been reading threads about difficulty settings in future games, its something i am still against, but it may well be high time to add some tactic sets to the game with a suitable game manual that will walk you through the ins and outs of implementation and how and when it might be time to change something.

Funny thing is, i dont think this could ever happen and not because it has anything to do with making the game too easy or anything like that, but because there is literally no one who really knows? you can download 60 pages of TT&F but its 99% ambiguous with no real telling information that will help you understand why your GK has just stood with the ball at his feet and let the opposing attacker take it from him when he had at least 2 or 3 other options available , or any of the other 1001 ways to concede a goal that has never been witnessed IRL before, that is just part of the game and you simply put up or shut up.

Football IS a "Funny old game" true enough, but with a game like this there HAS to be limitations, unlike RL there HAS to be a reason for it because its a computer game that has been hard coded to apply a logic to everything we witness via the ME and yet it remains completely ambiguous and without any kind of true understanding not just by us the sad wannabe managers, but by those who put the whole thing together in the first place.

A line has been crossed in recent FM's and that is the line between realism and that which can be attributed to a very poor ME that cannot cope with the information it has been given, to give us even a reasonable rendition of an actual game of football.

Watching games has become as excrutiating as having my family bits ran through a mangle, BUT it has become a necessity due to this brave but unsuccessful attempt to bring more realism to a ME and its creators who are nowhere near ready or capable for the task.

Just please try to imagine just how demoralising it must be for all us would be managers when losing games and goals to all these unreasonable and often unfathomable errors or 40 yard "Special Goals" and such when there is absolutely NO feedback as to why it might have occurred and no way to instigate a plan to stop it from happening again. What makes it even worse is having to watch these games in much detail because it is necessary to make changes(of which there is often no clue) on the fly.

Thats it, thats about all i've got, i hope the above may have created a spark somewhere that will promote a reasonable and understanding response from either some important SI employees or simply with my fellow FM'ers who on the one hand do NOT want an easy play and win game, yet on the other DO want a game they can at least understand enough to admit that the reason they lost was because of an inferior team or managerial error and not some unacceptable ME blowout that made their World Class GK turn and put the ball into his own net in the 96th minute of a game with two minutes extra time to lose a game when a draw would have won him the Champions League(you know what i mean ;))

Edit: Just to say that none of the above is aimed in any way at Rich(wwfan) who has always(often after much abuse) attempted to help me in any way he could(although i still feel he is hiding something?(WINK)

It's just the lack of intelligence that prevents me from enjoying it, you never see players drift in and play a deft clever defence splitting through pass or play a quick 1-2 to get inside the box. Instead you get instances of players receiving the ball outside the area, stopping, then spinning round and hoofing it back for no apparent reason. Or, and this is one I see regularly 4 or 5 times a match, full backs weighing up their options before blasting it back to the keeper, only it's so hopelessly wide it goes out for the 18th corner.

I really do want to love the game like I have so many of the others, but for some reason the match engine just no longer makes sense.

It's just the lack of intelligence that prevents me from enjoying it, you never see players drift in and play a deft clever defence splitting through pass or play a quick 1-2 to get inside the box. Instead you get instances of players receiving the ball outside the area, stopping, then spinning round and hoofing it back for no apparent reason. Or, and this is one I see regularly 4 or 5 times a match, full backs weighing up their options before blasting it back to the keeper, only it's so hopelessly wide it goes out for the 18th corner.

I really do want to love the game like I have so many of the others, but for some reason the match engine just no longer makes sense.

Whilst I'm sure this has been your experience, I can tell you that I regularly see defence-splitting passes. And I'm not managing great players, either. I'm Inverness Caledonian Thistle. Quiet often one of my midfielders carves the defence open with a pass right through the middle of them that my striker gets on the end of.

I do wonder whether the problem described in the title is a bug. Apparently every single team in my division liked to play possession football: this must be an issue with the scoutnextgame feature.

Its not a scouting error, these teams actually play like that, i know because match after match i have tried in vain to implement settings to get my players to intervene and break it up with very little or no success.

They also seem to have teams full of players who can hit the top corner on the volley from 40 yards.

Agree with the OP. I sometimes just look on in disbelief when playing this game. Every single team in the EPl can spray the ball about like the 1970 Brazil team when IRL this is most definently not the case.

I play as Spurs and use Wilson Palacios as a ball-winning CM but I watch him and he very rarely wins the ball or closes down. I've tinkered with his tactics and set him as man-marking and zonal-marking but it doesn't make any difference. He has high closing down but I don't see him making an effort to win the ball back, he just slowly jogs towards the player who has all the time in the world to pick out a pass. I do set all OI's to closing down but we shouldn't even have to do this, it should only be need to used against the most creative players in the opposition, Fabregas, Xavi etc. Why should we have to set every player to closing down always if we even want to see an attempt to win the ball back.

Archived