ROFL @ game! First time I am ever reloading!

DS

Managing Canada now for a while, I have beaten Mexico and USA on more occasions then I have lost to them, I have beaten top countries from Africa and Asia and even Europe. One day I decide to arrange a friendly against Wallis and Fortuna (some tiny island with like 10 people) because I always verse teams higher then me on FIFA rankings in friendlies to improve my ranking but then sometime rankings change just before game and they come under me so I though if I am going to verse teams ranked lower them me, they might as well be a really easy team. Somehow I lose 2-3 at home after dominating them. It doesnt even enter into the realm of realism. So for the first time ever I will be reloading because this is obviously a game bug.

Managing Canada now for a while, I have beaten Mexico and USA on more occasions then I have lost to them, I have beaten top countries from Africa and Asia and even Europe. One day I decide to arrange a friendly against Wallis and Fortuna (some tiny island with like 10 people) because I always verse teams higher then me on FIFA rankings in friendlies to improve my ranking but then sometime rankings change just before game and they come under me so I though if I am going to verse teams ranked lower them me, they might as well be a really easy team. Somehow I lose 2-3 at home after dominating them. It doesnt even enter into the realm of realism. So for the first time ever I will be reloading because this is obviously a game bug.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by E:

international football so predictable. greece won the euros on mine so i had to reload too </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, this is 100% totally unrealistic icon_rolleyes.gif Greece couldn't possibly win the European Championships! Oh wait - they did, in 2004! Shock, horror!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bratto17:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by E:

international football so predictable. greece won the euros on mine so i had to reload too </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, this is 100% totally unrealistic icon_rolleyes.gif Greece couldn't possibly win the European Championships! Oh wait - they did, in 2004! Shock, horror! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he was being sarcastic.

If I reloaded every time I lost to a grey team I would have reloaded about 15(ish) times by now.

Once you have reloaded once though, where does it stop.

Next week you might completely dominate USA in a competeitive fixture but their GK have a blinder and your best striker have a shocker. They get a dodgy penalty and win 1-0.

Do you reload then as many claim that there is a problem with "super keepers" and "1v1's"?

Where does it end?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bratto17:

Yep, this is 100% totally unrealistic icon_rolleyes.gif Greece couldn't possibly win the European Championships! Oh wait - they did, in 2004! Shock, horror! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Santa Claus and the tooth fairy don't exist either...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:

I think he was being sarcastic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry if you were being sarcastic E, it's just that DS's post saying that his experience is a bug is absolutely ridiculous!

QUOTE JIMBOKAV

Yet another excellent post there from Jimbo, nothing wrong with the match engine IMO - at the end of the day, freak results happen. Thats life!

Bratto. I don't agree. Sorry.

There are lots of little things wrong with the match engine, and the issue with the "greys", (not sure whether it's a bug or not), is certainly unrealistic and certaiinly something that needs work.

My point was that if you reload the game every time that something unrealistic happens then where do you stop?

Greece winning the Euro's is s good example.

Anyone remember a Roger Milla inspired Cameroon taking the World Cup by storm?

What about North Korea reaching the Qtr Finals of the World Cup in 2002?

N.Ireland beating England.

Scotland beating both France & Italy in the same qualifying tournament.

Sutton 2 Coventry 1 (1989)

Wrexham 2 Arsenal 1. (1992)

Hereford 2 Newcastle 1. (1972)

Liverpool 0 Wimbledon 1. (1988)

Shrewsbury 2 Everton 1. (2003)

It's just football.

Upsets are the best bit of football, without them we would know virtually all the results before the match happens.

Although if you keep an eye on the FA Cup ingame you will notice some freak results by the "grey" teams so that is an issue with in the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

If I reloaded every time I lost to a grey team I would have reloaded about 15(ish) times by now.

Once you have reloaded once though, where does it stop.

Next week you might completely dominate USA in a competeitive fixture but their GK have a blinder and your best striker have a shocker. They get a dodgy penalty and win 1-0.

Do you reload then as many claim that there is a problem with "super keepers" and "1v1's"?

Where does it end? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fully agree, I've never reloaded and never plan to. I tend to live by the philosophy of 'thats football' when I come across 'anomolies' like this.

I even go as far as not reloading if I my game crashes and I lose a game that I have previously won before the crash.

The way I look at it, would I have reloaded had I lost the game before the crash and then won afterwards?

That's a ridiculous thing to do so I never reload EVER. I've lost out on playoff spots in the past and even lost 2 Cup Finals as a result, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

But its not just losing to a worse team. I have had it happen before. In fact I play better against good teams then bad ones...probably due to the grey players bug and also I think maybe my tactics are more suite to better teams. But my Canada team is very good now. We are better then Scotland in the game and in the game Scotland is overrated so its a pretty good team. Wallis and Fortuna is like one of the worst few teams in the world. Probably ranked like 200th on FIFA rankings. The loss is obviously due to a bug. Its not just the loss....its the fact that the result doesn't even enter into the realm of realism. A realistic result would be me winning 15-0 but I would have taken even a 1-0 win because I am used to these bugs. Even a draw I would have been really ****ed off at the game but I wouldnt have reloaded. I drew against the Caymen Islands as well in the past which was a BS result but I didnt reload. This time I just had to reload to correct this bug. First time I have ever reloaded since playing this game from CM03/04 to now.

I dont like to reload I only ever do when my game crashes because I hate starting over or one time as I won the FA cup it crashed reloaded and got thumped I was so depressed I reloaded and won but abandoned the save shortly after.

About the whole thing of teams doing rubbish against "grays" I agree its odd but doing better against good teams than mediocre teams is possible look at Sunderland this season one example being we lost 3-2 away at Arsenal when we were expected to be beaten much more serverly then later in the season we lose 3-0 at home to Wigan it happens. And also look at the FA cup how many big teams lost to so called minnows look at chasetown as an example the amount of teams in higher leagues the beat to reach the 3rd round.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

DS. Excuse me for being ignorant, but when you reloaded, what did you do differently to ensure that you won 15-0 thus giving you a realistic result?

When ever I've beaten "grey" teams it's always been a real struggle and by the odd goal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I cbf playing the game so I just holidayed for a day and let my assistant handle it and we won 3-1. Not a realistic result but I can accept them because I know it is hard to get much better then that because of the bugs.

Anyway turns out Wallis and Fortuna dont have a world ranking...which means they are a non FIFA nation? Which means my result against them has no baring on FIFA rankings? Which means there was no point arranging a friendly against them anyway? Anyway I am never making friendlies against crap teams like this ever again. Back to verging teams higher then me on rankings.

I'm actually managing Canada in a save right now and have never experienced anything like this.

Lost 4-2 to Mexico, quite ashamed of that really, but seriously reloading a game? If anything, Canada practically overachieves in this game. I'd say that 3-2 loss is a realistic result judging by their laughable playing ability IRL.

I feel like I just insulted the World Cup by Qualifying with Canada.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DS:

DS. Excuse me for being ignorant, but when you reloaded, what did you do differently to ensure that you won 15-0 thus giving you a realistic result?

When ever I've beaten "grey" teams it's always been a real struggle and by the odd goal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I cbf playing the game so I just holidayed for a day and let my assistant handle it and we won 3-1. Not a realistic result but I can accept them because I know it is hard to get much better then that because of the bugs.

Anyway turns out Wallis and Fortuna dont have a world ranking...which means they are a non FIFA nation? Which means my result against them has no baring on FIFA rankings? Which means there was no point arranging a friendly against them anyway? Anyway I am never making friendlies against crap teams like this ever again. Back to verging teams higher then me on rankings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you swapped 1 unrealistic result, (that at lesat you were in control over), for another unrealistic result, (that you were not in control over) icon_confused.gif.

Did you watch the match and see what your Ass Man did differently to you?

The reason I’ve given up on FM8 until the next patch is because the reloading temptation is far too great.

I have no problem with freak results or losing games I might have expected to win. I’ve seen a lot of real life football and have the perspective to realise that freak things, sometimes, happen. I do have problems, after I’ve put in time and effort, to losing (or even winning) to daft bugs, bugs that include freak events that happen a several times a season, rather that a few times a decade.

Sometimes the ME goes nuts and a 90 minute game produces 50+ goal scoring chances. Has the Ice Hockey programming kicked in or what?? Goalkeeper distribution. Constant rebounds off of keepers. Grey non-league teams that are apparently Real Madrid in disguise (a pre season defeat to whom will have the board and fans on your back for months and tip the team into a slump).

People smugly strut about here blinding everyone with the glow from their haloes because they CLAIM not to reload under any circumstance. I think you’re a bunch of doormats for accepting bug results.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">People smugly strut about here blinding everyone with the glow from their haloes because they CLAIM not to reload under any circumstance. I think you’re a bunch of doormats for accepting bug results. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Congratulations icon14.gif. Although there was some pretty stiff competition, this wins the award for most ridiculous comment of the morning.

The FIFA rankings are a joke anyway. And since you say your Canada team is good you are already way outside the realms of realism so why shouldn't Wallis and Fortuna also happen to be good or at least good on the one occasion they play your team?

Of course weird results happen IRL, and "small" teams as greece or denmark some years ago can win a championship. Even south korea (although they played at home and refs robbed matches against Italy and spain)

But grey teams are... amazing in the game. I'm facing Olimpiakos in 3rd round of classification for CL groups, and it has only two players, both keepers. They are the worst of their team, and I only managed to draw 0-0 at home, despite being in good form and just finished 3rd in EPL.

There are lots of national teams and big european teams dominating with grey players, quite annoying.

It's just a balance issue. In previous versions teams full of grey players have been crap so that you had to have half a hundred active leagues in order to have a competitive game because loads of European teams had no players.

A team like Olympiakos should have players of a fairly high standard, be they greys or not. Clearly grey players in some small nations are too good, but in FM07 they are appalling bad in most nations I have come across.

I haven't played FM08 long enough to know, but in FM07 nations for which you have selected to retain all players tend to develop infeasibly good players relative to the nations of your active leagues and very much compared to grey nations. I am managing Lebanon in FM07, our FIFA world ranking has been steady at ~10-20th for a few years now and we batter almost every team in Asia, we even beat Australia 8-0 in an Asian Nations Cup qualifier so there's clearly a lack of balance in the other direction there!

Archived