Fans are idiots

So I'm managing Inverness CT and we were away to Celtic, a club who operate on a completely different level to us, in the Scottish League Cup. We put in a really gutsy performance and ended up losing 2-0. But the fans are apparently disappointed with the result. It seems that they hold expectations far beyond my own when it comes to visiting the league leaders of the division above us.

the problem with the post match fans news thread is they base their conclusion on a combination of the final score and when goals were scored. its irritating but i've learned to live with it as it doesnt seem to have any effect on the game.

last season with cambridge in the championship, i played superb in an FA cup quarter final tie against premier league bolton who got a 94th min winner. i'd more than matched them the whole game but they based their disappointment on the fact i conceded a late goal.

but fans are notoriously fickle in real life!!! but not as fickle and stupid as on FM 10! the other thing thats a little irritating is when they tell me their disappointment at releasing players who quite often have hardly figured in the first team.

its a minor gripe for me, doesnt affect my enjoyment of the game.

Whilst fickleness and stupidity are not far removed from each other, there is enough of a difference for me to have a legitimate grievance here. Even the most fickle Inverness CT fan would not go home from Celtic Park feeling hacked off with the manager and the team if they put in a gutsy performance and came away with their dignity firmly intact, which is what happened.

Yea, I've been annoyed at this too. Fans that pay no attention to for example the result in comparation to expectations... I mean, say you're Dag & Red, going into a FA-cup-game against Chelsea, you lose 0-1 after a goal in 90th, the fans will be disappointed because you lost at it. I mean, in real life, they'd be incredibly pleased that they almost forced Chelsea to a replay..... It's just horrible how the fans go by nothing but the final score and when the goals were scored.

the problem with the post match fans news thread is they base their conclusion on a combination of the final score and when goals were scored. its irritating but i've learned to live with it as it doesnt seem to have any effect on the game.

last season with cambridge in the championship, i played superb in an FA cup quarter final tie against premier league bolton who got a 94th min winner. i'd more than matched them the whole game but they based their disappointment on the fact i conceded a late goal.

but fans are notoriously fickle in real life!!! but not as fickle and stupid as on FM 10! the other thing thats a little irritating is when they tell me their disappointment at releasing players who quite often have hardly figured in the first team.

its a minor gripe for me, doesnt affect my enjoyment of the game.

Thumbs up to that :thup:

the other thing thats a little irritating is when they tell me their disappointment at releasing players who quite often have hardly figured in the first team.

I think it works in the same way as your signings. If they don't play, their confidence levels is at the default level. They need to play some very poor games for them to be happy about the move.

I had about 7 players leave, only 2 have played regularly and played poorly so the fans have Superb happiness/confidence in that decision. Some have left and haven't found a club and they're only feeling Okay.

So I'm managing Inverness CT and we were away to Celtic, a club who operate on a completely different level to us, in the Scottish League Cup. We put in a really gutsy performance and ended up losing 2-0. But the fans are apparently disappointed with the result. It seems that they hold expectations far beyond my own when it comes to visiting the league leaders of the division above us.

Mike, can I mention something else about fans being idiotic that really annoys me?

I can? Gee thanks mate, I appreciate it :D;)

Anyway... I'm currently managing Liverpool and after clearing the decks of a lot of the dross, I buy in players like Vincenzo Laquinta, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Rafael Van der Vaart, Darijo Srna and a few others. We're top of the league (2 points clear after about 10 games), haven't lost a match and only conceded 3 goals including pre-season. All in all it's going great, but....

"The fans are disappointed with the sale of Nathan Eccleston as they feel he had something to offer the club..."

Eccleston was utter trash, had useless stats and my Ass Man said he was "nowhere near good enough for the Liverpool squad", yet the fans remain gutted at his leaving despite the fact we're flying :confused:

fwiw, we also drew 0-0 away to Arsenal when The Gunners were favourites and they were gutted about that as well, naturally.

I agree, fans are idiots.

Completely agreed. I was once playing as Newcastle (in the Championship) against Chelsea on FM10, and drew 0-0 albeit putting in a great performance (higher possession, shots, etc). The fans were disappointed. Apparently they thought I could beat Chelsea easily even though they were in the BPL and one of the Big Four.

I've had the same as Leeds - when in League 1 I drew Man U in the 3rd round of the FA cup, at OT.....lost 2-1 (we were 1-0 up at half time) and the fans were 'devastated' - get real people, they may be listed as our closest rivals, but they're also 40 odd places higher up the league.

Agree with the selling problem too - it seems that I should appoint some of these fans as scouts, as they appear to know my u18s really well and are equally disappointed by me releasing a young player who's best stat was a 7 for pace....you cant have it both ways: Annoyed when we lose but want me to keep the dross that I inherited in the reserves and U18s....

I agree with the earlier poster - I've just tended to ignore the fan rating, because they're completely unrealistic....even for Leeds fans ;)

Thing is, IRL, fans ARE idiots. You just need to go on a forums immediately post match to see it

here here, I second that, being a Cambridge United supporter in real life, some of the trash thats posted on the club messageboard is beyond belief at times!

The fans comments doesnt seem to affect the team, well not for me, so I just ignore it and try not to get too irritated by it but sometimes like when my players gave it their all against higher league opposition only to lose to a late late 'fergie time' goal, for them to come out and be disappointed did hack me off.

I think it's something they will work on to get right, it's a new feature that is evidently having some teething problems.

Mike, can I mention something else about fans being idiotic that really annoys me?

I can? Gee thanks mate, I appreciate it :D;)

Anyway... I'm currently managing Liverpool and after clearing the decks of a lot of the dross, I buy in players like Vincenzo Laquinta, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Rafael Van der Vaart, Darijo Srna and a few others. We're top of the league (2 points clear after about 10 games), haven't lost a match and only conceded 3 goals including pre-season. All in all it's going great, but....

"The fans are disappointed with the sale of Nathan Eccleston as they feel he had something to offer the club..."

Eccleston was utter trash, had useless stats and my Ass Man said he was "nowhere near good enough for the Liverpool squad", yet the fans remain gutted at his leaving despite the fact we're flying :confused:

This I really have to agree with. Fans keep expressing their dissapointment at me selling players that are crap and have barely played over the previous season (or half-season) - they don't seem to acknowledge that I already replaced said player with a much better player (or players) ages ago anyway. Quite annoying.

The worst thing about the fans is when a star has a bad game and they say a back-up should've played. I hate that sooooo much. Really I should've benched Xavi for a match with AC Milan? That is smart how? I feel like calling a press conference to tell them how stupid they are. If anything they should be mad at the player (though being mad at Xavi is stupid) and not me. Idiots.

This issue just has to be solved... Stupid fans make relegation candidates almost unplayable. I just snatched a 0-0 draw in an away game where odds were 6.00 for a draw and 11.0 for my victory. I limited the opponent to 2 shots on goals and 0 clear cut chances. Still,the fans were disappointed. The expectation is to avoid relegation but even if I do that, I will be sacked because the fans are only happy after wins.

and on the other side of the coin, with the championship title bagged i decided to go on my hols and let my assistant take charge of the last few meaningless games of the season. i got thrashed 3-0 at blackburn and the fans were still pleased! work that one out!

What gets me, is, it's just 'pleased' or 'disappointed'. It's never 'the fans are disappointed with the defeat, but are pleased with the efforts of the team'.

Last season, I finished 6th with Aberdeen, and we lost 2-1 to Celtic, and the fans were 'devastated' by the loss. It was a meaningless game at the end of the season in which the team played decently.

For example this year IRL, Leeds lost 1-0 to Liverpool in the Carling Cup. Now, of course I was a little disappointed with us going out, but we played so well it was hard to be anything other than proud of the performance.

Confidence at least is better this year - the AI is less likely to sack managers as far as I can see. Plus, they are more likely to recognise good financial control, which in the current economy is definitely a good thing :)

What gets me, is, it's just 'pleased' or 'disappointed'. It's never 'the fans are disappointed with the defeat, but are pleased with the efforts of the team'.

Last season, I finished 6th with Aberdeen, and we lost 2-1 to Celtic, and the fans were 'devastated' by the loss. It was a meaningless game at the end of the season in which the team played decently.

For example this year IRL, Leeds lost 1-0 to Liverpool in the Carling Cup. Now, of course I was a little disappointed with us going out, but we played so well it was hard to be anything other than proud of the performance.

Confidence at least is better this year - the AI is less likely to sack managers as far as I can see. Plus, they are more likely to recognise good financial control, which in the current economy is definitely a good thing :)

I guess that FM 2010 isn't programmed to do these sorts of comments! Could it be that this would be too complicated to implement???

• Administrators
I guess that FM 2010 isn't programmed to do these sorts of comments! Could it be that this would be too complicated to implement???

Not really, if it was a close game, going off team stats (all over 6.9 for ex.) and yet losing 2-1 against the champions and you're a newly promoted club ....

would fit.

Another way to improve, would be to have different levels of harshness based on the reputation of a team's fans.

For example, Liverpool or Man United's fans don't get on the manager's back too quickly, but at Real Madrid or Barcelona it would be hell for you, even if you won every game :D

It needs to be tweaked more aggressively. It's improved from 09, but unless there's more variety it's just going to be unrealistic.

I don't think Manchester Utd fans were 'devastated' even losing to Chelsea last week, because they played well in doing so.

My fans weren't happy with getting knocked out of the FA Cup in the 3rd round when we were expected to go to the finals, but it said, "they understand the reasons." Playing as Man United and played Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and lost 1-0 when I played my reserves against their starters.

Archived