Tough Dilemma!

Has anyone else started out at their favourite club, and then been offered what is, on paper a better job?

I have just finished my third season at Spurs, and have finished 2nd, 2nd and just finished 4th. In season 1 I won the FA Cup, season 2 the league cup and community shield and have also just won the FA Cup for a 2nd time and managed to take the team to the quarter finals of the Champions league loosing to Man City due to a mass injury problem.

The problem I have, is Manchester Utd have just offered me the managers job. Money wise it is the same as I am on at Spurs, and the transfer budget I think will be less then I will be given for the next season at Spurs - but the potential at Man Utd is high, where as I am not sure if I have taken Spurs as far as I can as key players are loosing value, and getting older (Keane, Defoe and King) as well as a fair few important players seem to constantly want to leave to further their careers.

Man Utd to be fair, have not dominated in the game at all, and finished 8th the season just gone - so they are not even in Europe for next season, their squad looks quite poor apart from in attack where they still have Rooney and Berbatov who both have been excellent in every season so far...

I just cannot seem to make the choice, so I am asking you people for advice - and past experiences of changing teams, or staying with your supported teams..... :)

Yes in FM09, I was managing St Albans and Im a huge Man Utd fan and I got offered the job when ferguson retired but I couldnt bring myself to leave, I had become too attached to the players and knew where my strengths and weaknesses were, Man Utd on the other hand had a squad I wasnt fully aware of consisting of some regens and not many of the current players. I decided to stay with St Albans and got them to the championship, ironically I lost the FA Cup final to Man Utd a few seasons later.

So you're wondering if you should leave your favourite club, who finished higher, won the fa cup and have more money, to go to a team that used to be bigger? Surely its pretty simple. Just because they used to finish higher doesn't give them more potential.

Well I stayed loyal, and got a new contract with Spurs and a massive transfer kitty - managed to sell most of the dead wood from my squad and get good money for some rather average players and bought Rooney for £68m and Berbatov and Ferdinand for £5m each. However, the Berbatov and Ferdinand deals were done before the Rooney deal, and if I had actually thought things through I did not need Berbatov. He has started quite well for me, however it has meant playing Keane on the right side of midfield for pretty much the whole start to the season, and using Defore as not much more then a super-sub. Crouch has found himself as my prolific reserve team striker as a result!

But Rooney has been awesome - 7 goals in 5 games, not a bad start to his Spurs career!!! Glad I stayed now. :)

I had a similar situation, I was battling my way threw the leagues with a 1st in conference then a 1st in League 2 with Luton

but then I was offered a job as Juventus manager (50mil to spend but no champs league as they finished 9th) but I took it because I fancied a new challenge in Italy..

Your choice in the end dude..

Usually I prefer to go with the smaller teams in the Premier League, or a team lower down (rarely go outside of England) but I was excited when FM10 came out and started a game with Tottenham. Now I see myself staying until I get sacked, regardless of the job offers from elsewhere, especially now I have the foundations of a team that can possibly win the league rather then just missing out as we did before. :-)

On FM09 my favourite career was AFC Wimbledon, and taking them into league football although never could get out of League two! lmao.

Archived