[FM10] Journeyman Career Game

crouchaldinho

Hello all,

How many of you guys play a journeyman career game? That is, starting at the very bottom and struggling to build a reputation as a manager by jumping ship and managing different clubs?

My main save game is usually with my favourite team (St. Albans City) starting off in non-League and taking them to all of the glory I can manage. This is usually great fun and I love playing this save. However, it does mean staying at one club for the whole of my save game. Also, I struggle to play this kind of save with any other club, as I cannot find the same motivation to manage other teams as I can with the mighty Saints! :cool:

The journeyman career save, on the other hand, is a very different type of save game to play. You current club is just a stepping stone to potential glory. Of course, you still make decisions for the good of your current club; however, there is always an element of selfishness. You must make decisions to further your career and you must know when to jump ship in order to make sure your career isn't stalled. You are a real life manager, learning your trade and aiming for the top. The only goal is personal glory.

I did this back on FM08, starting out at St. Albans City (surprise, surprise! ;)) and then 'jumping ship' for glory, working my way through Derry City, Kaiserslauten, Leverkusen and Ghana. It was quite a satisfying save and a fun way of playing the game. I didn't get as far as I would have liked but by the end of it I was managing in the top flight of German football with several lower league titles to my name in England and Ireland. I had hoped to end up in Italy or France later on in my career but unfortunately I put the save to one side and never returned to it. Anyway, I found it to be quite a good way of getting into a save. I tend to struggle to get into a game unless I'm playing with my favourite team but this style of game gives plenty of motivation to play because you are building up your own career and aiming for personal glory. Will you be a Steve McClaren, a Sven Goran-Eriksson, a Roy Hodgson, a Fabio Capello or a Jose Mourinho etc.? Time will tell! You can even load similar leagues to your favourite managers in order to attempt to follow in their footsteps.

There is a good thread about setting up a journeyman career save here: http://www.thedugout.net/community/showthread.php?t=55421

The first thing to do is obviously to decide what countries to load!

Personally, I was thinking of doing a Roy Hodgson style Journeyman Challenge this time around, loading the countries in which he has managed:

Sweden

Denmark

Norway

Switzerland

Italy

England

I would start my managerial career as an unemployed manager with automatic reputation, probably starting off in the lower leagues of Sweden for something totally different to my usual territory. The challenge would be to win a major domestic trophy in each country and hopefully go on into International management too.

This kind of save can be quite refreshing because you don't get too bogged down with the success and failure of your club. If you fail, it is simply time to jump ship! If you get fired or resign, it's not the end of the game, it's just time to find out who will be stupid enough to offer you your next job! :D

So, who else plays this style of save game? Tell us your stories or your plans for a journeyman career game here.

Regards,

C.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm playing a Journeyman Game right now, but I have downloaded a bunch of leagues and I got a job in Wijaya FC in Brunei Premier League One... :o I'm not really sure where I'll go from there, but since I have everything possible loaded (yea, my comp is really good, so it works fine even if it's a bit slow), I guess I have options! :) Though I doubt I can earn much of a reputation in Brunei... :D

Did I mention I took over Northern Marianas Islands too? 0-5 against Guam and 0-3 against Uzbekistan makes me think they suck! :p

Well, I'm playing a Journeyman Game right now, but I have downloaded a bunch of leagues and I got a job in Wijaya FC in Brunei Premier League One... :o I'm not really sure where I'll go from there, but since I have everything possible loaded (yea, my comp is really good, so it works fine even if it's a bit slow), I guess I have options! :) Though I doubt I can earn much of a reputation in Brunei... :D

Did I mention I took over Northern Marianas Islands too? 0-5 against Guam and 0-3 against Uzbekistan makes me think they suck! :p

What Spec is your PC?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I ALWAYS start a journeyman career on FM, I find it the most enjoyable and challenging way to play the game. I try to load as many leagues as I can. On Fm08 I went from managing in North America for a few seasons then to Cambridge City and getting them promoted to the Blue Square Premier and then back to North America where I ended up managing in the MLS with FC Dallas for many years earning a reputation by winning domestic and continental trophies before jumping to the German Bundesliga and guiding Dortmund from relegation to Champions League Qualification.

I didn't get much time last year to play FM09 so my journeyman career didn't really go on for long. I spent my first season in the lowest league in Brazil with Sao Jose, I managed to qualify to the final stages of the State Championships but didn't have great success then I moved to Rosengrad in the lowest Swedish league and struggled to save them from relegation (managed to avoid the drop on the last day of the season) and unfortunately that is as far as I go on the game last year. Looking forward to getting FM10 and starting a journeyman career again when I have some more free time.

Is there a Journeyman Career thread in the CSE forum? I think there was one last year. It was a good read and i was planning on trying one but never got into a save enough to carry on but I'm hoping it will be different in FM10. I enjoy reading the different paths people take to get to the top (should they get there).

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz 3GHz, 2 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

1 TB disc with about 890 GB free space

Windows XP SP3, all available updates installed

Works fine for me :)

I'm actually playing two journeyman games, but one of them is on network with a friend, there I got a job in CD Bogotá FC in Colombian Second Division, as they had just missed to qualify for 1st Phase Playoffs... And I managed to end 8th in 2nd Phase, qualify for Playoffs and counter my way up to First Division! :D

Going pretty half-sucky up in First Division though, been unlucky with late goals and bad performances by individuals... >_<

I personally think its the only way to play.

I have started a journeyman career a fictional Hungarian character, Laszlo Erdos. The ultimate plan is to win the World Cup with Hungaray, and bring back the days of Hungary being a world class nation!

I started unemployed with sunday league footballer repuatation, my first job offer (that I wanted) was in March 2010 and was from Kent based side Chatham Town. My first task with them was to avoid the drop, which I did by 4 points. Then over the summer I built up a good side with a few Hungarians signing after releases in thier homeland.

Now in March 2011 I sit top of my division, an staggering 18 points clear and i'm in the semi finals of the Kent Cup.

Who knows what will happen at the end of the season, I may stay and attempt another good season, I may move! I'll see whats on offer!

Journeyman games are great fun.

I started off with Servette FC in the Swiss Challenge League. Got them promoted by the end of my third season--right when my contract expired--and jumped ship to Odessa in the Ukranian Premier League. Now I've been keeping them in Euro competitions and I'm waiting for a rich Russian club (or maybe Dinamo or Shaktar) to have a vacancy and hope they'll tab me for a job. Eventually I want to see what I can do with the Swiss national team.

By the way, did you load all the leagues in the countries you mentioned?

I've only ever had one, with FM08:

Season     Team                 Country    League                 League Finish    Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Started    unemployed
2007/08    St Albans            England    Blue Square South      15th             Took over in March
2008/09    St Albans            England    Blue Square South      3rd              Lost in playoff final
2009/10    St Albans            England    Blue Square South      2nd              Promoted via playoffs
2010/11    St Albans            England    Blue Square Premier    4th              Lost in playoff final
2011/12    St Albans            England    Blue Square Premier    3rd              Promoted via playoffs
2012/13    St Albans            England    League 2               14th    
2013/14    St Albans            England    League 2               7th              Promoted via playoffs
2014/15    St Albans            England    League 1               14th  
2015/16    Bassano Virtus       Italy      C1/A                   16th             Relegated, resigned  
2016/17    Notts County         England    League 2               9th          
2017/18    Notts County         England    League 2               3rd              Promoted  
2018/19    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           19th
2019/20    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           21st
2020/21    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           18th
2021/22    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           3rd              Lost in playoff semi
2022/23    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           4th              Lost in playoff semi
2023/24    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           3rd              Promoted via playoffs
2024/25    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Premier League         n/a              Left to join Deportivo
2024/25    Deportivo La Coruna  Spain      Liga BBVA              n/a              Sacked after 13 games
2024/25    Middlesbrough        England    Premier League         17th             Took over in February
2025/26    Middlesbrough        England    Premier League         16th            
2026/27    Middlesbrough        England    Premier League         7th              Qualified for Intertoto Cup
2026/27    Uruguay                                                                 Copa America losing finalists

It was possibly one of my most enjoyable games, with the spectacular failures abroad and the reasonable success at home. In the end I just had to stop as my laptop just couldn't handle it, it was crawling along. I might have another go if I get a more powerful machine but it really needs it for a decent enough setup.

Hey Crouch, I started a new game on FM10 with St Albans after spending about 20 seasons with them on FM09 and Ive won 3 promotions in 3 season, havent had a chance to start my next season yet but they are totally dominant at the moment, my reputation is starting to get better and Im aiming to take them to the premier league with a bit of luck. I actually had a transfer budget which I couldnt believe, in FM09 I hardly even had money too spend.

This should be called 'the Harry Redknapp method'.

More like Roy Hodgson! :cool:

I picked Thurrock, since they were the lowest predicted team in the Blue Square South. In my first season now, trying to avoid relegation!

Good luck to you.

By the way, did you load all the leagues in the countries you mentioned?

I assume this is directed at me. I haven't loaded the save yet but I'll probably load the top two levels of each league and all leagues in Sweden, where I will start out. My computer isn't brilliant, otherwise I would load all divisions in each country.

Swedish lower league is a great place to manage. I was very fond of my game where i managed there.

Yes, it does seem to be good there. Only had one season there previously. Good quick seasons to get through, plus really small clubs who are very challenging to manage.

I've only ever had one, with FM08:

Pity you didn't just take Saints all the way, if you ask me! :p

It was possibly one of my most enjoyable games, with the spectacular failures abroad and the reasonable success at home. In the end I just had to stop as my laptop just couldn't handle it, it was crawling along. I might have another go if I get a more powerful machine but it really needs it for a decent enough setup.

I think you probably need a minimum of three or four countries for a good journeyman save.

Little tip though, sometimes loading smaller countries with only one or two leagues and a lower amount of teams in each league can be worthwhile. Such leagues load less players into the game and require less processing power, meaning that you can load more of them.

Hopefully, the new star system will help people to work out what their computers can handle and get the right setups from the start.

Have you checked to see what you can run on your computer according to the star system Dafuge?

I'm just recovering from losing a playoff final in my FM10 game, it really is the worst feeling

Yes. I know the feeling from my FM07 Saints save. I lost in four consecutive play-offs. :(

never played a 'journeyman' game before on football manager. going to give it a go this year though

Good luck! :thup:

Regards,

C.

Little tip though, sometimes loading smaller countries with only one or two leagues and a lower amount of teams in each league can be worthwhile. Such leagues load less players into the game and require less processing power, meaning that you can load more of them.

Austria and Switzerland have only 10 clubs each (top divisions) and a medium league reputation. I enjoy my saves there. Plenty of chance to get into Europe with only 10 clubs in the league!

Austria and Switzerland have only 10 clubs each (top divisions) and a medium league reputation. I enjoy my saves there. Plenty of chance to get into Europe with only 10 clubs in the league!

That's true. :D

Another little tip for loading leagues. I've found that loading countries in covering the same geographical area can give an advantage. This is because it often loads less players into the database because players in neighbouring countries are already in the game. For instance, loading Scandinavian countries together, or England, Scotland and Wales, puts a lot less stress on your computer than loading Brazil, England and India or something like that. Hope that makes sense.

I'm now thinking of loading England, Italy, Norway, France, Sweden and Wales for my journeyman game. :)

C.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz 3GHz, 2 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

1 TB disc with about 890 GB free space

Windows XP SP3, all available updates installed

Works fine for me :)

Cheers bud... you have a better processor than me... I'm going to upgrade this week so hopefully can run more leagues for a large journeyman game.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

One little touch I like with journeyman games is seeing what languages you learn in the game! It is always funny to see some random languages in there!

I think my best was in 08. started unemployed and got the Oldham job. After 8 seasons we were in the prem and I avoided relegation by 1 point, mid way through the 9th season I did a bit of soul searching and decided I had taken the club as far as I could. With a heavy heart I resigned and saw my beloved Oldham get relegated by march.

In may I was thrown a lifeline, Feyenoord. They came 9th in the league and wanted me to build, they had sold almost all their players due to a financial crisis and gave me no money to build. I gritted my teeth and made do with what I had, after 12 games I was shown the door having only amassed 8 points, although I did beat PSV away and draw with Ajax at home, it was then Ajax that took me in and gave me a shot. Perhaps they were impressed by me in the home draw?!

I won the league and in the 2nd season we won the UEFA Cup with a stunning unbeaten run of 28 games in all competitions. I was content, I finally felt at home, this was thrown into turmoil, however, when I got linked, then offered the vacant Fiorentina job, I decided to leave Ajax with their first European Silverware in a very long time.

Fiorentina was a great challenge, again a skeletal squad with very little in the way of talent and depth, however, this time I had cash, 12m to get a mid table finish, I brought a few players in and finished 10th. Once again I was happy until I got cut short again

The release of FM09…..

I have never had a journeyman career since so I may just give it a go on this one, I feel inspired!!

Sorry about the long post, once I started I couldn’t stop!!

Core 2 Duo T7300 @2.00 GHz, 4Gb RAM.

Those countries were England, Spain, Italy and France though.

I have less ram than that (2 GB only) and a E8400 processor (3 + 3 GHz) and I can run everything just fine... the star system tells me half a star when I've got around 15 leagues, but really, everything loaded maybe goes a lil bit slow, but it works fine. :p

I can't bring myself to do play the journeyman way! I always play lower league (this year at level 10) and I love building up a rapport with the club, players & supporters that I find it hard to leave, even when I get those big job offers come knocking at the door.

I guess I'm a pretty loyal person in real life, and this effects the way I play FM :D

Definitely doing it with FM10.

Started unemployed but got hired by Alfreton Town after 11 games into the first season.

Had a bad first season and finished 15th in Blue Square North, but been going well in the second season. Was 1st but dropped to 6th spot after losing my last game.

Hey Crouch, I started a new game on FM10 with St Albans after spending about 20 seasons with them on FM09 and Ive won 3 promotions in 3 season, havent had a chance to start my next season yet but they are totally dominant at the moment, my reputation is starting to get better and Im aiming to take them to the premier league with a bit of luck.

Must have missed this first time around. Good luck with the Saints! :thup:

Let me know how you get on! :)

C.

I've had the idea for the last few versions, just never managed to get it going. Perhaps I should start in England though.

Was thinking of starting a game with Super Bladesmans 'lite' file, down to level 8. Seem to be a few problems with level 9 and 10, not enough goals, a lot of penalties, the match engine can't handle players of that low standard too well. Could actually start with my most local level 8 team, eventually move to bigger local clubs and then go abroad. Eventually finish by getting the Charlton job and making them in a big club.

Think I might give that a go actually, was going to just manage in England but this could work. Whenever I've started abroad I've just not got into it enough.

I've pretty much decided on my countries for my journeyman save.

As I said before, I'm aiming for a good mix of smaller nations and larger ones, and also I'm picking my nations in geographical pairs in order to save on loading extra players in. I've kept it rather modest because my computer isn't too great.

So, I've gone for:

England & Wales

Sweden & Norway

Italy & France

Those six countries on a medium database give me 2.5 stars for estimated game speed, which I think it probably pretty decent. What do you chaps think? Anyone got any experiences to share on the estimated game speed star rating?

Anyway, I'll probably start in Wales and then work my way over to Scandinavia and France before eventually aiming to manage a major team in one of the bigger countries I've loaded. Sounds like it should give me a pretty decent career pathway.

Hopefully will keep me interested and I will play this until the patch is out, which is when I will start my usual Saints save, still playing this one on the side. :cool:

C.

I currently have a game like this running at the moment. I am currently in my 3rd season during the game. I started Unemployed and took over Banger city in November 2009, Got a 13th place finish in my season after getting them off the bottom of the league. In my second season we finished a bit better 10th safe mid table while picking up the welsh cup.

After the match I was linked with the Peterhead job and took it joining the club on a two year contract. Played out the meaningless last game of the season was already relegated and now I mange in the Scottish 3rd division at Peterhead. I’m updating season by season in the career forum if you want more detailed information. Next update will come after ive finished the current season with Peterhead at the moment i’m in November just.

Journeyman all the way for me, run England Spain Italy leagues and just see what happens. FM10 has seen my go from Welling to Eastleigh in my first season. Highlights being taking Eastleigh from 18th to 7th and condeming Welling to relegation along the way. Few interesting jobs in Spain have arisen so i might be breaking me newly signed 3 year contract for a trip abroad already!

Anyway else play the journeyman way then?

I normally play with Rushden and Dimaonds ant attempt to take them to the Prem, my problem is that I fall in love with the team i build, therefore finding it impossible to move clubs. However you have inspired me to start a journey man career game, in fact I will start one tonight, is it best to start unemployed with the lowest rep possible?

It's the only way I like to play the game.. in fm08 I started as unemployed, automatic reputation. Taking Svendborg twice to the second tier of Denmark (yes, I was once relegated :(), then flying to Northern Ireland to take Ards from the 3rd tier to their first appearance in a European compentition (Uefa Cup, as I was 3rd in the Premier League and Glentoran which was 2nd won a cup), then taking Carrick Rangers to Premier League too.

I normally play with Rushden and Dimaonds ant attempt to take them to the Prem, my problem is that I fall in love with the team i build, therefore finding it impossible to move clubs. However you have inspired me to start a journey man career game, in fact I will start one tonight, is it best to start unemployed with the lowest rep possible?

Only if you can actually load ALOT of leagues. You're not likely to get any jobs but Indonesian First Division or Malaysian Premier Division at that... Then, depending on your nationality/languages (not sure which of the two it counts) you may get jobs in Colombian Second Division, Swedish Second Division, Norwegian Second Division or Northern Irish Third Division... So as you can probably see, you'd need to have quite a couple of leagues loaded. ;p

Archived