+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: [FM10] Journeyman Career Game

First Team Squad Member

Cool [FM10] Journeyman Career Game

Hello all,

How many of you guys play a journeyman career game? That is, starting at the very bottom and struggling to build a reputation as a manager by jumping ship and managing different clubs?

My main save game is usually with my favourite team (St. Albans City) starting off in non-League and taking them to all of the glory I can manage. This is usually great fun and I love playing this save. However, it does mean staying at one club for the whole of my save game. Also, I struggle to play this kind of save with any other club, as I cannot find the same motivation to manage other teams as I can with the mighty Saints!

The journeyman career save, on the other hand, is a very different type of save game to play. You current club is just a stepping stone to potential glory. Of course, you still make decisions for the good of your current club; however, there is always an element of selfishness. You must make decisions to further your career and you must know when to jump ship in order to make sure your career isn't stalled. You are a real life manager, learning your trade and aiming for the top. The only goal is personal glory.

I did this back on FM08, starting out at St. Albans City (surprise, surprise! ) and then 'jumping ship' for glory, working my way through Derry City, Kaiserslauten, Leverkusen and Ghana. It was quite a satisfying save and a fun way of playing the game. I didn't get as far as I would have liked but by the end of it I was managing in the top flight of German football with several lower league titles to my name in England and Ireland. I had hoped to end up in Italy or France later on in my career but unfortunately I put the save to one side and never returned to it. Anyway, I found it to be quite a good way of getting into a save. I tend to struggle to get into a game unless I'm playing with my favourite team but this style of game gives plenty of motivation to play because you are building up your own career and aiming for personal glory. Will you be a Steve McClaren, a Sven Goran-Eriksson, a Roy Hodgson, a Fabio Capello or a Jose Mourinho etc.? Time will tell! You can even load similar leagues to your favourite managers in order to attempt to follow in their footsteps.

There is a good thread about setting up a journeyman career save here: http://www.thedugout.net/community/s...ad.php?t=55421

The first thing to do is obviously to decide what countries to load!

Personally, I was thinking of doing a Roy Hodgson style Journeyman Challenge this time around, loading the countries in which he has managed:
    Sweden
    Denmark
    Norway
    Switzerland
    Italy
    England

I would start my managerial career as an unemployed manager with automatic reputation, probably starting off in the lower leagues of Sweden for something totally different to my usual territory. The challenge would be to win a major domestic trophy in each country and hopefully go on into International management too.

This kind of save can be quite refreshing because you don't get too bogged down with the success and failure of your club. If you fail, it is simply time to jump ship! If you get fired or resign, it's not the end of the game, it's just time to find out who will be stupid enough to offer you your next job!

So, who else plays this style of save game? Tell us your stories or your plans for a journeyman career game here.

Regards,
    C.
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 09-11-2009 at 14:11.

Amateur

Default Re: Journeyman Career Game

Well, I'm playing a Journeyman Game right now, but I have downloaded a bunch of leagues and I got a job in Wijaya FC in Brunei Premier League One... I'm not really sure where I'll go from there, but since I have everything possible loaded (yea, my comp is really good, so it works fine even if it's a bit slow), I guess I have options! Though I doubt I can earn much of a reputation in Brunei...

Did I mention I took over Northern Marianas Islands too? 0-5 against Guam and 0-3 against Uzbekistan makes me think they suck!

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Jirki88 View Post
    Well, I'm playing a Journeyman Game right now, but I have downloaded a bunch of leagues and I got a job in Wijaya FC in Brunei Premier League One... I'm not really sure where I'll go from there, but since I have everything possible loaded (yea, my comp is really good, so it works fine even if it's a bit slow), I guess I have options! Though I doubt I can earn much of a reputation in Brunei...

Did I mention I took over Northern Marianas Islands too? 0-5 against Guam and 0-3 against Uzbekistan makes me think they suck!
    What Spec is your PC?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I ALWAYS start a journeyman career on FM, I find it the most enjoyable and challenging way to play the game. I try to load as many leagues as I can. On Fm08 I went from managing in North America for a few seasons then to Cambridge City and getting them promoted to the Blue Square Premier and then back to North America where I ended up managing in the MLS with FC Dallas for many years earning a reputation by winning domestic and continental trophies before jumping to the German Bundesliga and guiding Dortmund from relegation to Champions League Qualification.

I didn't get much time last year to play FM09 so my journeyman career didn't really go on for long. I spent my first season in the lowest league in Brazil with Sao Jose, I managed to qualify to the final stages of the State Championships but didn't have great success then I moved to Rosengrad in the lowest Swedish league and struggled to save them from relegation (managed to avoid the drop on the last day of the season) and unfortunately that is as far as I go on the game last year. Looking forward to getting FM10 and starting a journeyman career again when I have some more free time.

Amateur
    I knew I should have turned left at Albuquerque!

Is there a Journeyman Career thread in the CSE forum? I think there was one last year. It was a good read and i was planning on trying one but never got into a save enough to carry on but I'm hoping it will be different in FM10. I enjoy reading the different paths people take to get to the top (should they get there).

Amateur

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz 3GHz, 2 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    1 TB disc with about 890 GB free space
    Windows XP SP3, all available updates installed

Works fine for me

I'm actually playing two journeyman games, but one of them is on network with a friend, there I got a job in CD Bogotá FC in Colombian Second Division, as they had just missed to qualify for 1st Phase Playoffs... And I managed to end 8th in 2nd Phase, qualify for Playoffs and counter my way up to First Division!
    Going pretty half-sucky up in First Division though, been unlucky with late goals and bad performances by individuals... >_<

Amateur

I personally think its the only way to play.

I have started a journeyman career a fictional Hungarian character, Laszlo Erdos. The ultimate plan is to win the World Cup with Hungaray, and bring back the days of Hungary being a world class nation!

I started unemployed with sunday league footballer repuatation, my first job offer (that I wanted) was in March 2010 and was from Kent based side Chatham Town. My first task with them was to avoid the drop, which I did by 4 points. Then over the summer I built up a good side with a few Hungarians signing after releases in thier homeland.

Now in March 2011 I sit top of my division, an staggering 18 points clear and i'm in the semi finals of the Kent Cup.

Who knows what will happen at the end of the season, I may stay and attempt another good season, I may move! I'll see whats on offer!
    Last edited by simon07; 09-11-2009 at 15:01. Reason: Wrong reputation stated...

Amateur

I don't really like that with "automatic reputation" though, I always start as Sunday league footballer.

First Team Squad Member

Anyway else play the journeyman way then?

Amateur

This should be called 'the Harry Redknapp method'.

Amateur

I picked Thurrock, since they were the lowest predicted team in the Blue Square South. In my first season now, trying to avoid relegation!

Amateur

Journeyman games are great fun.

I started off with Servette FC in the Swiss Challenge League. Got them promoted by the end of my third season--right when my contract expired--and jumped ship to Odessa in the Ukranian Premier League. Now I've been keeping them in Euro competitions and I'm waiting for a rich Russian club (or maybe Dinamo or Shaktar) to have a vacancy and hope they'll tab me for a job. Eventually I want to see what I can do with the Swiss national team.

By the way, did you load all the leagues in the countries you mentioned?

Banned

Swedish lower league is a great place to manage. I was very fond of my game where i managed there.

World Cup Winner

I've only ever had one, with FM08:

Code:
    Season     Team                 Country    League                 League Finish    Achievements
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Started    unemployed
    2007/08    St Albans            England    Blue Square South      15th             Took over in March
    2008/09    St Albans            England    Blue Square South      3rd              Lost in playoff final
    2009/10    St Albans            England    Blue Square South      2nd              Promoted via playoffs
    2010/11    St Albans            England    Blue Square Premier    4th              Lost in playoff final
    2011/12    St Albans            England    Blue Square Premier    3rd              Promoted via playoffs
    2012/13    St Albans            England    League 2               14th    
    2013/14    St Albans            England    League 2               7th              Promoted via playoffs
    2014/15    St Albans            England    League 1               14th  
    2015/16    Bassano Virtus       Italy      C1/A                   16th             Relegated, resigned  
    2016/17    Notts County         England    League 2               9th          
    2017/18    Notts County         England    League 2               3rd              Promoted  
    2018/19    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           19th
    2019/20    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           21st
    2020/21    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           18th
    2021/22    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           3rd              Lost in playoff semi
    2022/23    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           4th              Lost in playoff semi
    2023/24    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Championship           3rd              Promoted via playoffs
    2024/25    Wycombe Wanderers    England    Premier League         n/a              Left to join Deportivo
    2024/25    Deportivo La Coruna  Spain      Liga BBVA              n/a              Sacked after 13 games
    2024/25    Middlesbrough        England    Premier League         17th             Took over in February
    2025/26    Middlesbrough        England    Premier League         16th            
    2026/27    Middlesbrough        England    Premier League         7th              Qualified for Intertoto Cup
    2026/27    Uruguay                                                                 Copa America losing finalists
    It was possibly one of my most enjoyable games, with the spectacular failures abroad and the reasonable success at home. In the end I just had to stop as my laptop just couldn't handle it, it was crawling along. I might have another go if I get a more powerful machine but it really needs it for a decent enough setup.

Amateur

Hey Crouch, I started a new game on FM10 with St Albans after spending about 20 seasons with them on FM09 and Ive won 3 promotions in 3 season, havent had a chance to start my next season yet but they are totally dominant at the moment, my reputation is starting to get better and Im aiming to take them to the premier league with a bit of luck. I actually had a transfer budget which I couldnt believe, in FM09 I hardly even had money too spend.

Amateur

losing 4 times in play off's must have been a pain :P

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ratrug101 View Post
    losing 4 times in play off's must have been a pain :P
    I'm just recovering from losing a playoff final in my FM10 game, it really is the worst feeling

Amateur

never played a 'journeyman' game before on football manager. going to give it a go this year though

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by woody2goody View Post
    This should be called 'the Harry Redknapp method'.
    More like Roy Hodgson!

Quote Originally Posted by Teamy View Post
    I picked Thurrock, since they were the lowest predicted team in the Blue Square South. In my first season now, trying to avoid relegation!
    Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by TomWest View Post
    By the way, did you load all the leagues in the countries you mentioned?
    I assume this is directed at me. I haven't loaded the save yet but I'll probably load the top two levels of each league and all leagues in Sweden, where I will start out. My computer isn't brilliant, otherwise I would load all divisions in each country.

Quote Originally Posted by Squobbles View Post
    Swedish lower league is a great place to manage. I was very fond of my game where i managed there.
    Yes, it does seem to be good there. Only had one season there previously. Good quick seasons to get through, plus really small clubs who are very challenging to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by dafuge View Post
    I've only ever had one, with FM08:
    Pity you didn't just take Saints all the way, if you ask me!

It was possibly one of my most enjoyable games, with the spectacular failures abroad and the reasonable success at home. In the end I just had to stop as my laptop just couldn't handle it, it was crawling along. I might have another go if I get a more powerful machine but it really needs it for a decent enough setup.
    I think you probably need a minimum of three or four countries for a good journeyman save.

Little tip though, sometimes loading smaller countries with only one or two leagues and a lower amount of teams in each league can be worthwhile. Such leagues load less players into the game and require less processing power, meaning that you can load more of them.

Hopefully, the new star system will help people to work out what their computers can handle and get the right setups from the start.

Have you checked to see what you can run on your computer according to the star system Dafuge?

I'm just recovering from losing a playoff final in my FM10 game, it really is the worst feeling
    Yes. I know the feeling from my FM07 Saints save. I lost in four consecutive play-offs.

Quote Originally Posted by apchivers View Post
    never played a 'journeyman' game before on football manager. going to give it a go this year though
    Good luck!

Regards,
    C.

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by crouchaldinho View Post
    Have you checked to see what you can run on your computer according to the star system Dafuge?
    Four countries with two leagues each gives me 2*, although I have a new laptop ordered so that should be able to cope with a bit more.

Semi Pro

Little tip though, sometimes loading smaller countries with only one or two leagues and a lower amount of teams in each league can be worthwhile. Such leagues load less players into the game and require less processing power, meaning that you can load more of them.
    Austria and Switzerland have only 10 clubs each (top divisions) and a medium league reputation. I enjoy my saves there. Plenty of chance to get into Europe with only 10 clubs in the league!

First Team Squad Member

Four countries with two leagues each gives me 2*, although I have a new laptop ordered so that should be able to cope with a bit more.
    Really? What computer do you have at the moment (processor and RAM)?

World Cup Winner

Really? What computer do you have at the moment (processor and RAM)?
    Core 2 Duo T7300 @2.00 GHz, 4Gb RAM.

Those countries were England, Spain, Italy and France though.

First Team Squad Member

I'd say that with your specs, you should be able to comfortably run that setup. Not that I'm an expert or anything!

Part-Timer

i think the trailer was not right about being able to run a few leagues quickly with more than decent computers.

i never leave my club too. too pre-occupied with my long term game to spend time journeymanning

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by Golaxi View Post
    i think the trailer was not right about being able to run a few leagues quickly with more than decent computers.
    Why is that?

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by dankrzyz View Post
    Austria and Switzerland have only 10 clubs each (top divisions) and a medium league reputation. I enjoy my saves there. Plenty of chance to get into Europe with only 10 clubs in the league!
    That's true.

Another little tip for loading leagues. I've found that loading countries in covering the same geographical area can give an advantage. This is because it often loads less players into the database because players in neighbouring countries are already in the game. For instance, loading Scandinavian countries together, or England, Scotland and Wales, puts a lot less stress on your computer than loading Brazil, England and India or something like that. Hope that makes sense.

I'm now thinking of loading England, Italy, Norway, France, Sweden and Wales for my journeyman game.

C.
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 10-11-2009 at 11:47.

Semi Pro

There is a good thread about setting up a journeyman career save here: http://www.thedugout.net/community/s...ad.php?t=55421.
    On that same page... I would also mention that there are lists of all leagues & their league reputations. This is useful stuff when planning a game.

Amateur

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz 3GHz, 2 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    1 TB disc with about 890 GB free space
    Windows XP SP3, all available updates installed

Works fine for me
    Cheers bud... you have a better processor than me... I'm going to upgrade this week so hopefully can run more leagues for a large journeyman game.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

One little touch I like with journeyman games is seeing what languages you learn in the game! It is always funny to see some random languages in there!

FC Oss Researcher
    Terrassa, Spain - FC Barcelona Member #174408

I think my best was in 08. started unemployed and got the Oldham job. After 8 seasons we were in the prem and I avoided relegation by 1 point, mid way through the 9th season I did a bit of soul searching and decided I had taken the club as far as I could. With a heavy heart I resigned and saw my beloved Oldham get relegated by march.

In may I was thrown a lifeline, Feyenoord. They came 9th in the league and wanted me to build, they had sold almost all their players due to a financial crisis and gave me no money to build. I gritted my teeth and made do with what I had, after 12 games I was shown the door having only amassed 8 points, although I did beat PSV away and draw with Ajax at home, it was then Ajax that took me in and gave me a shot. Perhaps they were impressed by me in the home draw?!

I won the league and in the 2nd season we won the UEFA Cup with a stunning unbeaten run of 28 games in all competitions. I was content, I finally felt at home, this was thrown into turmoil, however, when I got linked, then offered the vacant Fiorentina job, I decided to leave Ajax with their first European Silverware in a very long time.

Fiorentina was a great challenge, again a skeletal squad with very little in the way of talent and depth, however, this time I had cash, 12m to get a mid table finish, I brought a few players in and finished 10th. Once again I was happy until I got cut short again

The release of FM09…..

I have never had a journeyman career since so I may just give it a go on this one, I feel inspired!!

Sorry about the long post, once I started I couldn’t stop!!

Amateur

I have less ram than that (2 GB only) and a E8400 processor (3 + 3 GHz) and I can run everything just fine... the star system tells me half a star when I've got around 15 leagues, but really, everything loaded maybe goes a lil bit slow, but it works fine.

Part-Timer
    Washington DC but my heart lies in Leicester

I can't bring myself to do play the journeyman way! I always play lower league (this year at level 10) and I love building up a rapport with the club, players & supporters that I find it hard to leave, even when I get those big job offers come knocking at the door.

I guess I'm a pretty loyal person in real life, and this effects the way I play FM

Amateur
    Rosario, Argentina - Newell's Old Boys supporter!

I like the journeyman thing, but when you lack of time it is hard to do. I remeber once I started with Rangers and then play with Fiorentina, Dortmund, FC Koln and others...CM 01-02 I think.

Amateur

Decided to start one tonight. Have loaded up 31 leagues from 16 countries, starting unemployed with automatic reputation. Gotta hope my laptop can handle it, if not will start again with fewer leagues.

FC Oss Researcher

it probably will now but give it 10 seasons or so it will start to slow down, i know i dont have your specs but that would happen on most PC's running that number

Amateur

Definitely doing it with FM10.

Started unemployed but got hired by Alfreton Town after 11 games into the first season.

Had a bad first season and finished 15th in Blue Square North, but been going well in the second season. Was 1st but dropped to 6th spot after losing my last game.

Amateur

Ah right cheers. Will give it a go and see what happens, but as you said, may get a bit too much for laptop to handle further down the line

FC Oss Researcher

Alfreton town was one of my goes at one point, i resigned in championship as i was 12 games in with 1 point, jumped before i was pushed!!

Amateur

I'll be ecstatic if I can get this mob to the Championship.

I've practically signed a brand new starting XI some even rated as League One players and one got a call up for International duty with Bulgaria.

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimoz View Post
    Hey Crouch, I started a new game on FM10 with St Albans after spending about 20 seasons with them on FM09 and Ive won 3 promotions in 3 season, havent had a chance to start my next season yet but they are totally dominant at the moment, my reputation is starting to get better and Im aiming to take them to the premier league with a bit of luck.
    Must have missed this first time around. Good luck with the Saints!

Let me know how you get on!

C.

Charlton Athletic Researcher

I've had the idea for the last few versions, just never managed to get it going. Perhaps I should start in England though.

Was thinking of starting a game with Super Bladesmans 'lite' file, down to level 8. Seem to be a few problems with level 9 and 10, not enough goals, a lot of penalties, the match engine can't handle players of that low standard too well. Could actually start with my most local level 8 team, eventually move to bigger local clubs and then go abroad. Eventually finish by getting the Charlton job and making them in a big club.

Think I might give that a go actually, was going to just manage in England but this could work. Whenever I've started abroad I've just not got into it enough.

First Team Squad Member

You could try a British save Scoham? All leagues in England, Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland.

Build up your career with the aim of eventually taking over Charlton. It's always good to have a clear objective and some teams you want to manage when you reach the 'big time'.

C.

First Team Squad Member

I've pretty much decided on my countries for my journeyman save.

As I said before, I'm aiming for a good mix of smaller nations and larger ones, and also I'm picking my nations in geographical pairs in order to save on loading extra players in. I've kept it rather modest because my computer isn't too great.

So, I've gone for:
    England & Wales
    Sweden & Norway
    Italy & France

Those six countries on a medium database give me 2.5 stars for estimated game speed, which I think it probably pretty decent. What do you chaps think? Anyone got any experiences to share on the estimated game speed star rating?

Anyway, I'll probably start in Wales and then work my way over to Scandinavia and France before eventually aiming to manage a major team in one of the bigger countries I've loaded. Sounds like it should give me a pretty decent career pathway.

Hopefully will keep me interested and I will play this until the patch is out, which is when I will start my usual Saints save, still playing this one on the side.

C.
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 10-11-2009 at 12:19.

Amateur

I currently have a game like this running at the moment. I am currently in my 3rd season during the game. I started Unemployed and took over Banger city in November 2009, Got a 13th place finish in my season after getting them off the bottom of the league. In my second season we finished a bit better 10th safe mid table while picking up the welsh cup.

After the match I was linked with the Peterhead job and took it joining the club on a two year contract. Played out the meaningless last game of the season was already relegated and now I mange in the Scottish 3rd division at Peterhead. I’m updating season by season in the career forum if you want more detailed information. Next update will come after ive finished the current season with Peterhead at the moment i’m in November just.

Amateur

I run most leagues + retain players from top divisions for all continents to make the game more interesting. Having been inspired by journeymen like Roy Hodgson, I will start unemployed and see where the road takes me

First Team Squad Member

I'll check out your thread over in the careers forum Mitsunari. Sounds good!

Amateur

Journeyman all the way for me, run England Spain Italy leagues and just see what happens. FM10 has seen my go from Welling to Eastleigh in my first season. Highlights being taking Eastleigh from 18th to 7th and condeming Welling to relegation along the way. Few interesting jobs in Spain have arisen so i might be breaking me newly signed 3 year contract for a trip abroad already!

Amateur

Anyway else play the journeyman way then?
    I normally play with Rushden and Dimaonds ant attempt to take them to the Prem, my problem is that I fall in love with the team i build, therefore finding it impossible to move clubs. However you have inspired me to start a journey man career game, in fact I will start one tonight, is it best to start unemployed with the lowest rep possible?

First Team Squad Member

That's certainly my preference for starting the game Weller1980.

Amateur

It's the only way I like to play the game.. in fm08 I started as unemployed, automatic reputation. Taking Svendborg twice to the second tier of Denmark (yes, I was once relegated ), then flying to Northern Ireland to take Ards from the 3rd tier to their first appearance in a European compentition (Uefa Cup, as I was 3rd in the Premier League and Glentoran which was 2nd won a cup), then taking Carrick Rangers to Premier League too.
    Last edited by munich 1860; 10-11-2009 at 13:15.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Weller1980 View Post
    I normally play with Rushden and Dimaonds ant attempt to take them to the Prem, my problem is that I fall in love with the team i build, therefore finding it impossible to move clubs. However you have inspired me to start a journey man career game, in fact I will start one tonight, is it best to start unemployed with the lowest rep possible?
    Only if you can actually load ALOT of leagues. You're not likely to get any jobs but Indonesian First Division or Malaysian Premier Division at that... Then, depending on your nationality/languages (not sure which of the two it counts) you may get jobs in Colombian Second Division, Swedish Second Division, Norwegian Second Division or Northern Irish Third Division... So as you can probably see, you'd need to have quite a couple of leagues loaded. ;p

First Team Squad Member

Sounds good Munich1860. What are your plans for FM10?

First Team Squad Member

Only if you can actually load ALOT of leagues. You're not likely to get any jobs but Indonesian First Division or Malaysian Premier Division at that... Then, depending on your nationality/languages (not sure which of the two it counts) you may get jobs in Colombian Second Division, Swedish Second Division, Norwegian Second Division or Northern Irish Third Division... So as you can probably see, you'd need to have quite a couple of leagues loaded. ;p
    Actually, if you use automatic reputation, your reputation will adjust depending on the leagues you load, which means you should be able to get a job without any trouble. But it is definitely worth loading some lower level leagues in there, or at least some lower reputation leagues, where you can start your career.

C.

You could try a British save Scoham? All leagues in England, Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland.

Build up your career with the aim of eventually taking over Charlton. It's always good to have a clear objective and some teams you want to manage when you reach the 'big time'.

C.
    That's also the other problem, should I load all the British leagues, or the 'big' European nations, or both. And then how low down should I load them.

Will see what I can come up with. Can handle a good amount of leagues, but no point having leagues I'm never going to manage in loaded.

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scoham View Post
    That's also the other problem, should I load all the British leagues, or the 'big' European nations, or both. And then how low down should I load them.

Will see what I can come up with. Can handle a good amount of leagues, but no point having leagues I'm never going to manage in loaded.
    I think that's one of the potential difficulties. Don't ever feel like you have to have a specific league loaded. I always feel like I should load Spain but in reality, I'm not all that interested in managing there, and so there is little point in loading that country into my save.

It's worth loading a couple of small countries in which you might build your career, alongside some medium and large ones, so that you have plenty of opportunity to move around and make choices as to where to work during your career. Wales and the lower leagues of Scotland might be quite good in this respect.

Seeing as you don't get that into managing abroad, you could just load the top divisions of the bigger European countries to give you the choice to move abroad when you've made it as a manager. Then you learn your trade in the lower leagues of England, build up your reputation and then someday perhaps manage a big club in Italy or Spain, for instance.

It's well worth thinking out where you want to go in the save and plotting out your potential career in advance.

C.

Amateur

Sounds good Munich1860. What are your plans for FM10?
    Well, I've only played one season until now as I have to prepare exams (if only you could get a uni degree without studying ). I started unemployed as usual, but with amateur reputation this time. I entered in Chilean Primera B (2nd tier) to try to improve the CD Melipilla performance, but I only managed to save them from relegation.

In CM 01-02, I started with Top Oss from Holland, taking them to the Dutch 1st tier, only to be relegated. I moved then to Torpedo Moscow and made it one of the best Russian teams and a regular Uefa Cup contestant. Then I moved to Germany to train Munich 1860 and take them to the final of Uefa Cup, losing 1-0 to Valencia. While I was the coach of Munich 1860 I also managed Northern Ireland (sacked) and then Czech Republic (sacked, too)

Amateur

I should warn everyone playing with automatic reputation: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=163285

Amateur

Perhaps we could set up a blog site for people to post their journeyman career diaries? Or a thread in the careers forum with links to everyones posts

----------------------------------------------

I'm actually wanting to start a journeyman career with as many leagues possible loaded...

Amateur

I almost always go journeyman :-)

Currently (stil on FM 08) I'm on a save where I started unemployed, got a job at Holbæk in the Danish 2. div. East, got them promoted twice into the Danish Premier Div., and then resigned halfway through the season realising the relegation was practically unavoidable.
    Moved on to China where I took charge of Anhui who was newly promoted to 1. div. A, but couldnt keep them up either, so resigned.
    Stayed in China for the Changchun job, first season dissapinting 10th place, second season 2nd place and cup final (coming up).
    I am also managing the Saudi Arabia NT having just took over; previousli I managed the DR Congo NT without any real succes though.

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
    I should warn everyone playing with automatic reputation: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=163285
    Is this really a problem? Not very well explained in the bug thread you've linked to?

Amateur

I've had a few games similar to this in my time, my longest running was slightly differn't to the "Hodgson" style game and more like a "Rikaard" style.

Back on FM 07 I started a game as England manager, with a long term plan of winning a World Cup with the likes of Wallcott, Luke Moore (remember him!), Jack Hobbs etc. I played through the first 3 seasons with reasonable success, only losing a handful of games Euro Championship final, World cup Semi's and a Conferates Cup all to my name. I decided to expand my tasks by taking on a clube role in addition but couldn't lad a decent job anywhere. No Prem team would have me and even upper championship teams (Namely Sunderland) had no time for my ability.

In the end I landed a job with a struggling Wolves, they were in the bottom 8 of the Championship having splashed big cash on many a flop. I had little money to spend, the player's they had brought in were pretty poor and I couldn't re-coup half the money spent AND just half the season to turn things around. I immediately hit the free transfer market and brought in Sol Cambell, Mista, Denilson (the £23m flop of Betis fame) and Anthony Gardener from Spurs for £250k. I not only turned them round but had them promoted to the Prem via a 4th place play-off spot.

In the Prem I landed them a UEFA cup (remember that?) place. I upset the Apple cart by applying for the vacant Spurs job (Which they turned me down for) and knew my time was nearing an end with the Wanderer's. When out of nowhere European Champion's Man Utd offered me the vacancy left by Fergie's retirement, I think this must have been to do with selecting United as my favorite club. At United I made some wholesale changes, bringing in the elite of European youth, setting up a great future for United. I finished 2nd behind Liverpool and won them another Champion's league, but faultered at the beginning of my next season. Although most of my result's were good I seemed to struggle against the rest of the "big 4", so rather than seeing my beloved United perform below par under my stewardship I quit.

I was still England manager and had an impressive reputation, so was offered the Porto job within weeks of leaving United, I accepted but looked at their team in depth and was stumped. I couldn't see where I could improve the team and didn't have the funds to bring in a "big name". So I did a bit of a Clough job and quit, after 14 days in charge.

This Suprisingly didn't damage my reputation, I then applied for a more challenging role. Mantova, just promoted to Serie A, predicted to finish bottom and nowt to spend. Again I got to work on the freebies, bringing in the likes of Van Nistleroy, Carew, Gavin McCann and a bunch of young talent released by United's new manager (fool!). A 6th placed finish and win's over all the teams above me was the reward I was looking for. Next season I had a decent run in the Uefa cup and another top 6 finish. Then I was offered the Liverpool role, despite being a United fan I took the job (mainly because I wanted to pick their English players in friendly's and had been blocked due to playing them for more than 45 minutes). I won Champions league and 3rd in the league in my first season. Made the final in my 2nd but still dind't crack the league.

However I did win the World cup! I left it at that point, got distracted by other games. I still have it loaded on my old laptop though, maybe I'll return one day...

Amateur

Actually, if you use automatic reputation, your reputation will adjust depending on the leagues you load, which means you should be able to get a job without any trouble. But it is definitely worth loading some lower level leagues in there, or at least some lower reputation leagues, where you can start your career.

C.
    He did however say "lowest rep possible", which means Sunday League Footballer, not "Automatic Rep".

Amateur

Im started a journeyman career for first time because i had a long game save with man u on fm 08 and its all the same now so i started unemployed got a job at Bath City they were in relegation zone when i joined and ive moved them up to 14th atm but only been in charge 2 months. Hopefully i can get far on the game its quite fun and something different probably wasnt best to start a journyman career in my first year at uni though

First Team Squad Member

He did however say "lowest rep possible", which means Sunday League Footballer, not "Automatic Rep".
    Not wishing to correct you but actually Automatic rep (or at least, the non-bugged version!) might actually be lower than the Sunday League option, depending on the leagues loaded. It is also inaccurate to say that you need a lot of leagues loaded if you want to use Sunday League (or the lowest reputation) because you only need one league where the lowest level of that league has a suitable low reputation. Finally, I believe that the game won't allow you to select Sunday League footballer (it becomes a greyed out option) if you have loaded leagues which are unsuitable for such a low reputation value.

Regards,
    C.

Part-Timer

I was going to try to stay at one club the whole time but I got sacked, so forget them. Instead I started another game with a lot of leagues where I plan to hop around a bit, starting at Heviz (I think that's the name) in Hungary's second division.

Also, I don't know if anyone said this yet or not, but when loading a lot of leagues it helps to have the detail levels set to minimum for everything. I forget what you lose doing that, but whatever it is I'm not missing it and it goes a LOT faster.

World Cup Winner

I'd say that with your specs, you should be able to comfortably run that setup. Not that I'm an expert or anything!
    I could easily run it, I just like the game to run quickly. I find big pauses between screens very frustrating.

Amateur

Hehe. I just left Bogotá, things were going down the drain, ended last in the First Phase Table.
    I brought Bogotá up from Second Division with a squad which wouldn't make it according to media, and I was given absolutely no cash to strengthen the squad for First Division... Started above expectations, picked 17 points in first 10 games, then my tactic was somewhat well-thumbed and my players simply wasn't good enough... I brought them up, wasn't planning on following them down!

After a short spell of unemployment which included expressing interest for around 200 jobs in total, where teams like Stranraer, Drogheda Utd, Distillery, Danubio and Bohemians Prague considered me, I got a job in Arema Malang in the Indonesian Super League. Interesting challenge! Also got elected manager of Cook Islands, took the job mainly to learn english though...

I don't understand the logic of starting Unemployed with Automatic Reputation (=set the reputation tobe appropriate for the club you are managing), seems a bit contradictory!

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by eaglealan64 View Post
    I don't understand the logic of starting Unemployed with Automatic Reputation (=set the reputation tobe appropriate for the club you are managing), seems a bit contradictory!
    Automatic reputation is supposed to set your reputation to the lowest value that will still allow you to gain employment within the leagues you have loaded (i.e. when you start unemployed).

I've always used automatic reputation when starting my journeyman game.

C.

Youth Team

I always start these games usually in South America but I can never usually seem to get out of the Brazilian Third Division. The best I've done is manage to go from Brazilian Serie C to the Chilean Primera Division but I was unable to break in amongst the top 5 sides and ended up going back to the Brazilian Third Division.

I think it is considerably harder if you start at a country which is your nationality.

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
    I always start these games usually in South America but I can never usually seem to get out of the Brazilian Third Division. The best I've done is manage to go from Brazilian Serie C to the Chilean Primera Division but I was unable to break in amongst the top 5 sides and ended up going back to the Brazilian Third Division.

I think it is considerably harder if you start at a country which is your nationality.
    Do you mean which isn't your nationality?

Amateur

I started a quick Journeyman game (contradiction in terms?) after my hard drive crashed and before FM10 was released. In my mind, it's the only way to play the game.

I brought Dorchester up from BSS into BSP, won a cup, almost got promoted into League Two. Then I resigned after my fourth season, when FM10 was released, just to see what would happen. FM09 was my first time playing, so a lot of this is new to me.

Anyway, I couldn't find work in BSP, nor in BSS or BSN with a recently relegated team. I eventually wound up in Italy with a slight salary cut, but a much better team.

Question for everyone: After reading this thread, I'm tempted to start a rather bare-bones game -- England, U.S., and France -- so as not to run too slowly in later seasons if I play one game all year long. But will that significantly hamper my ability to find work if I can't negotiate an honest raise with any given club?

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado View Post

Brazilian Third Division is the most impossible league in the game to promote from... 189 teams and 3 promotion places. I always decline jobs there...

And I can't have my own nationality, then I get employment in Swedish 2nd Division straight away, and that's about the easiest league you can manage except of Belgian 3rd Division.

World Cup Winner

Automatic reputation is supposed to set your reputation to the lowest value that will still allow you to gain employment within the leagues you have loaded (i.e. when you start unemployed).

I've always used automatic reputation when starting my journeyman game.

C.
    I'm sure I've read somewhere that it isn't the case this year, automatic seems to give you a much better reputation than sunday league footballer.

Amateur

currently in a journeyman save.
    started as manager of trindad and tobago, got them to the world cup qualifying playoffs against uruguay and lost on 5-3 on aggregate.
    Joined santa clara in portugese 2nd div for the last 2 months of the season, got relegated lol. Sacked cause i didn't have the league below loaded. Hired by Tours FC who had just gotten relegated to french national.
    Managed to get tours fc promoted by securing a 2nd place finish. Also got hired by boznia and herz, took them to the euros where i was drawn in a group with spain, germany, and belgium. . .lost all 3 games. Offered the job at PSV and left tours fc to take it...that's where i am now. Think i may be a PSV a while, definitely till i win a couple trophies.
    Last edited by drinkup; 10-11-2009 at 18:59.

Semi Pro

I did it in 09, was the best fun, most enjoyable save I've done. Started as reputation "professional footballer" as I thought that would be the most realistic for league football, wasn't too bothered about non league, thought I'd get something in League 2, but started unemployed and got offered the Blackpool job who were predicted to finish 24th in the Championship. Took them to 15th in the first year, and was in 5th around Christmas in the second year where I jumped ship to West Ham who had been relegated in the first season.

Got promoted with West Ham that season, then stayed with them for 4 years or so, dabbling around the relegation places, when Inter Milan offered me a job with £150m transfer budget, moved there and was there for ages, they gave me £150m every year and I built some super amazing squad and it got boring, so I moved to Arsenal when the chance came up and rebuilt them as they were down to 6th-7th after Wenger left.

When I'm done with my customary Arsenal save, I'll do one in FM2010.

It felt a bit too easy to get the Inter job however, so next time I'll start with a lower reputation, although I don't really think a part time or Sunday league footballer would ever get a manager job at a league club, but whatever.

First Team Squad Member

I'm sure I've read somewhere that it isn't the case this year, automatic seems to give you a much better reputation than sunday league footballer.
    I was under the impression that this was an unintended bug.

Any idea where you read this Dafuge? A link would be great if you happen to be know of one?

Does this mean Sunday League is now the best option for starting with? I don't understand why they have changed it as the old system worked perfectly.

What setting are you using for your challenge?

Regards,
    C.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    It felt a bit too easy to get the Inter job however, so next time I'll start with a lower reputation, although I don't really think a part time or Sunday league footballer would ever get a manager job at a league club, but whatever.
    It's really just the wording SI chose to use. Sunday League just gives you the lowest possible reputation, meaning you have to start in the Blue Square N/S leagues in England, or lower tiers in countries like Northern Ireland, Sweden etc.

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scoham View Post
    It's really just the wording SI chose to use. Sunday League just gives you the lowest possible reputation, meaning you have to start in the Blue Square N/S leagues in England, or lower tiers in countries like Northern Ireland, Sweden etc.
    Isn't this what automatic used to do?

Semi Pro
    Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us

I had an interesting journeyman career in last years FM where I as usual started off at Celtic and after 6 league titles in a row and a couple of Scottish cup and league cup wins I got the job at Zaragoza. I did okay in Spain but not particularly outstanding, but my achievements with Celtic and steady progress with Zaragoza hadn't gone unnoticed by the AC Milan board and they offered me the managers job with them less than a season into my first season at Zaragoza. I couldn't resist the temptation to manage one of the giants of Europe and took the job without a second thought. At Milan I found myself getting very large transfer budgets every season and in no time I'd built a team that went on to win back to back CL trophies and every domestic honour available several times, then I got offered the Man Utd job and having achieved everything possible with Milan decided to seek a new challenge in the EPL. This chapter in my career proved my only failure in management on that save and I ended up sacked in January of my second season with Man Utd outside of the top four positions and very out of form. My career then took a very surprising turn when after only a few days unemployed I was approached to take over at Man City, which (with the financial backing that i knew would be available to me as their manager) was an offer I couldn't refuse. I didn't get far into my career with them when I got distracted with another save I had going at the same time and haven't managed to get back to it. But I still have FM09 and the save game on my pc and will probably get back to it at some point, if only to see if I can topple my old Milan team as the dominant force in Europe.

Amateur

This thread inspired me to start my own journeyman game. Loaded up 18 leagues from 8 countries and have now, in October, have been offered my first job - Yverdon in Swiss Challenge League!!

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by The Flux Capacitor View Post
    This thread inspired me to start my own journeyman game. Loaded up 18 leagues from 8 countries and have now, in October, have been offered my first job - Yverdon in Swiss Challenge League!!
    Good luck bud!

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Flux Capacitor View Post
    Yes, best of luck The Flux Capacitor. Should be a good challenge in the Challenge League.

Part-Timer
    OTF: The Football Manager player's Mumsnet

Sort of - Automatic gave you the reputation to manage at the LOWEST level of selected league. For example, if you started with England, Spain and Italy as countries and only the top leagues active, then your 'automatic reputation' would be the equivilant of selecting professional footballer or former international. However, if you included Scotland down to division 3, then your reputation would be equvilant to semi-pro or Sunday League.

I like your system of playing but I just don't have the patience for it. My favourite ever game (and most time spent on it) was an FM07 save that started with international rep at Liverpool, saw me sacked and taking the vacant Ipswich job then building them into a solid Premier League side. Having not really enjoyed FM08 or FM09 - because of that Ipswich sve - I'm trying to repeat that 'success' at Man City. If I get into FM10, then maybe by version 10.2 or 10.3 I'll give the Journeyman career game a go...

Amateur

On FM 09 I had a brilliant journeyman game in south/central America, started off in peru, cant remember the name of the team and after looking on wiki's list of peruvian footy teams still none the wiser! they were pretty awful and i spent a few seasons sitting in mid table with them before resigning in frustration as I didnt feel I could take them any further. then moved onto Chile where I managed Colo Colo for a few years winning a couple of titles and making the quarter final of Copa Sud America. Brazil was my next call with Flamengo, won the regional and national title before moving onto Tigres in Mexico where I had a lot of success with a team of almost all under 21's! as well as a number of league titles and domestic cups, also won copa sud america, the north american champions league (not difficult since the only real competition is your fellow mexican teams! but had fun thrashing some of the rubbish sides in the comp!) and club world championship (beating man utd in the final, bit lucky if truth be told!). Mexico is a great league as you get to compete in both north and south american tournaments! then a short stint at Banfield in Argentina where I didnt win anything in a couple of seasons before going back to brazil with santos but didnt play many games with them before not bothering with the game anymore. I was running the top divisions in Mexico, Brazil, Colombia, Uruguay, Chile and Peru. Have upgraded the memory in my computer now so if I did that again would run the lower leagues in those countries, might have another crack at that.

As always with a new FM game, currently managing my real life club Cambridge United, where I'm establishing them as a championship club. probably wont be too long before I think I've taken them as far as I can go and then plan a european journeyman game - loading 8-10 leagues in europe (might try 12 and see how it runs) - england, scotland, france, italy, portugal, holland, germany, spain plus maybe some smaller ones such as austria, switzerland, belgium and either a scandanavian or eastern european league.

incidently tech heads i have 2GB of ram and a 2.3 GHZ processor - how many leagues with that set up could i realistically run without slowing down too much? i usually go for a small database of players.
    Last edited by delboy69; 10-11-2009 at 22:41.

Amateur

I think some people don't understand the journeyman concept...

A Journeyman career is where you start at the bottom and attempt to claw your way to the top by making a reputation for yourself. Starting out at a big club isn't what is classed as a journeyman career... sorry to be pedantic! I just thought id explain the difference.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by delboy69 View Post
    On FM 09 I had a brilliant journeyman game in south/central America, started off in peru, cant remember the name of the team and after looking on wiki's list of peruvian footy teams still none the wiser! they were pretty awful and i spent a few seasons sitting in mid table with them before resigning in frustration as I didnt feel I could take them any further. then moved onto Chile where I managed Colo Colo for a few years winning a couple of titles and making the quarter final of Copa Sud America. Brazil was my next call with Flamengo, won the regional and national title before moving onto Tigres in Mexico where I had a lot of success with a team of almost all under 21's! as well as a number of league titles and domestic cups, also won copa sud america, the north american champions league (not difficult since the only real competition is your fellow mexican teams! but had fun thrashing some of the rubbish sides in the comp!) and club world championship (beating man utd in the final, bit lucky if truth be told!). Mexico is a great league as you get to compete in both north and south american tournaments! then a short stint at Banfield in Argentina where I didnt win anything in a couple of seasons before going back to brazil with santos but didnt play many games with them before not bothering with the game anymore. I was running the top divisions in Mexico, Brazil, Colombia, Uruguay, Chile and Peru. Have upgraded the memory in my computer now so if I did that again would run the lower leagues in those countries, might have another crack at that.
    Yep I agree with you... playing in North, Central or South America is always fun... never a dull moment as I've found lol! I'd recommend downloading Aljarovs North American update where he has added lowers leagues to the USA & the CSL in Canada.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by JLlo View Post
    Yep I agree with you... playing in North, Central or South America is always fun... never a dull moment as I've found lol! I'd recommend downloading Aljarovs North American update where he has added lowers leagues to the USA & the CSL in Canada.
    the rules are a bit crazy as well! very enjoyable, yes see what your saying about journeyman rules, i normally dont load too many lower leagues due to my pc but as i wrote before have upgraded it now. that peruvian team i managed were pretty rubbish and were expected to finish bottom of the league so i did quite well to get them mid table, admittedly in a league of 12 teams

Amateur

Ive never done a journeyman save normally just stick with one club and make them unreal, but to be honest it gets quite boring after a few seasons. I think i'll give a journeyman career a go and see what its like.

Quick question do you guys, who always do the journeyman thing, apply for any jobs or just wait to be offered them then jump ship???

World Cup Winner

I was under the impression that this was an unintended bug.

Any idea where you read this Dafuge? A link would be great if you happen to be know of one?

Does this mean Sunday League is now the best option for starting with? I don't understand why they have changed it as the old system worked perfectly.

What setting are you using for your challenge?

Regards,
    C.
    Here was where I read it. We switched to sunday league footballer for my challenge a while ago when we realised that automatic didn't always give you the lowest starting reputation.

Well automatic adjusts depending on the leagues you load, though some of the options aren't available if you don't load enough lower divisions anyway. So not really sure why automatic is needed.

That's what Sunday League Football does though, just gives you a very low reputation.

Here was where I read it. We switched to sunday league footballer for my challenge a while ago when we realised that automatic didn't always give you the lowest starting reputation.
    I remember something about that, weren't people who were around 45 or above getting a higher reputation when using automatic? And everyone younger got a low reputation similar/same as Sunday League?

Part-Timer

Having failed miserably twice with dafuges challenge thiss year I think I will boot up a journeyman game. I'll probably stick to covering 2 continents with Europe and Asia, mainly so I have the option of heading back to my home league in Australia if I feel like it.

Amateur

Never actually tried this but after reading about it I really want to. I'm in my 7th season with AFC Wimbledon but didnt load any other leagues as manageable and it seems such a shame to start over tempting though

Semi Pro
    I don't agree with that in the workplace.

Just loaded up leagues in england, scotland, wales, spain, italy, germany, turkey, portugal and greece

Now am just thinking who to be should be fun

FC Oss Researcher

Quote Originally Posted by Cockney Hammer View Post
    Just loaded up leagues in england, scotland, wales, spain, italy, germany, turkey, portugal and greece

Now am just thinking who to be should be fun

i find its best to apply and declare interest in all jobs and then choose who oyu want, for me a journeyman game is better when you start unemployed.

I loaded all leagues from, england, spain, italy, scotland, wales, sweden, bulgaria, argentina, brazil, denmark, czech, ukrain.

Took the job at litex in Bulgaria, only played 4 friendlies but 4 wins, 18 for 0 against, im sure it wont last long...

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by aussieant32 View Post
    i find its best to apply and declare interest in all jobs and then choose who oyu want, for me a journeyman game is better when you start unemployed.

I loaded all leagues from, england, spain, italy, scotland, wales, sweden, bulgaria, argentina, brazil, denmark, czech, ukrain.

Took the job at litex in Bulgaria, only played 4 friendlies but 4 wins, 18 for 0 against, im sure it wont last long...
    Just out of curiosity what reputation did you select, since theres alot of discussion on what is best reputation to start with. Might start this tomorrow

FC Oss Researcher

i started with automatic. It all depends on what yur looking for. If you want bigger clubs you set it high, when i stated there were la liga and prem teams that i could declare interest in but they said no due to my experiance, if i was international footballer i may have had a shot.

it will be more challenging at auto as you can really only get a job with a small rep club

Amateur

Yea i was trying to decide between sunday league and automatic. Think I'll go with automatic as it seems to give more realistic job offers in the game I'm currently playing

FC Oss Researcher

let us know how it goes and who you get

Amateur

Guys, just out of interest - I've loaded about 24 leagues from 8 countries; how long will it be before the game becomes difficult for me ion terms of speed?

Because if it'll be two or three seasons, then I'll start a new game right away.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast