how do view only leagues work?

Guys, I'm still conflicting on what I want to do. I know I definitely want to be involved in a promotion/relegation league, I just don't know if I want to take on a top lower league team in one of the nations and look for promotion, or if I want to take on a strong nation that usually wins or competes for the top spot in their league, but isn't quite with the big boys when it comes to euro cup play. Someone like Dinamo Kiev maybe. My question is, if i decide to have some lower leagues as view only, just to see the promotion and relegation in some of the top leagues such as england and italy, how does this effect the processing speed of the game? I assume it would slow it down just as if i had the league playable. Thanks for your time, any suggestions would be great.

No. There's a huge difference in processing speed between "View Only" and "Playable".

In a league which is completely off, there are no fixtures, you cannot see a league table, clubs' AI is fairly inactive/passive, and promotion/relegation/European spots are done purely by reputation. What you'll notice in a long-term game is basically the same four clubs qualifying for the Champions League over and over, though if you pay close attention to their first-round C.L. match, you can figure out who finished 1st/2nd, who was 3rd, and who was 4th, and that will change occasionally based on their C.L. wins/losses. On a "Small" database, regens are fairly uncommon.

In a league which is "View Only", there are fixtures, however, each match is resolved super-quickly based primarily on the clubs' reputation. Therefore, you can see a league table, and promotion/relegation/European spots are done by table, so you'll see a bit more variation. The clubs' AI is still fairly inactive/passive, which means that the top clubs eventually "fall behind" the top clubs in your Playable nations. On a "Small" database, regens are fairly uncommon.

In a league which is "Playable", but on low detail, there are fixtures, and each match is resolved based on the quality of the players involved .. but the full match is not simulated, so it is of average quickness; you can't watch match highlights. You can see a league table, and promotion/relegation/European spots are done by table. The clubs' AI is now active/aggressive, which keeps the top clubs in line with the top clubs in other nations. Regens are created annually for every club just as they are for yours.

In a league which is "Playable" and on "Full Detail", such as the league your club is in, there are fixtures and each match is resolved in every-touch-of-the-ball detail, which is extremely slow. It does give you the ability to watch highlights or even full matches, and of course there's a league table and proper promotion/relegation/European spots. The clubs' AI is active/aggressive, and regens are created annually for every club.

. . .

So, setting a league on "View Only" gives you a marginally better experience, with more variation in the promotion/relegation/European spots. It doesn't really make the league into an active league, but it isn't going to cost you much processing time, either.

Because of the difference in A.I. strength, I like to set the top divisions of the big-five European nations to "Active" so that I know that, no matter where I'm managing, the Barcelonas, Bayerns, Milans and Chelseas of the world are going to be epically tough matches. The regens keep the international sides competitive, too. Plus, you can always take a job in one of those top leagues if you get bored of the league you're in - the game will automatically set it to "Full Detail" when you transfer into it. I also like to have the top divisions of Argentina and Brazil and active, which tends to give South America much better regens.

Of course, that does slow my game down, so its a balancing act between realism and processing speed.

• 11 months later...
What you'll notice in a long-term game is basically the same four clubs qualifying for the Champions League over and over

I thought I'd better add my experiences with my long term game to this as I don't think what is written here is quite the case. It could possibly be that things have changed in the game since this was written last year.

I'm in 2088 in a game that was loaded with only the English leagues, a large database and the players from top clubs loaded from all continents. No other leagues were loaded at any level, yet the following Italian clubs have all competed in the Champions League at some stage: AC Milan, Cagliari, Fiorentina, Genoa, Inter, Juventus, Lazio, Napoli, Palermo, Roma, Sampdoria and Udinese. It looks like it is the same for the other countries.

What I am wondering is if I load a load of countries on low detail and only have the league I am playing in as full detail how many extra leagues is this going to allow me to run and also is this going to slow down to much... can I then become a manager in one of the low detail leagues and change it around.

What I am wondering is if I load a load of countries on low detail and only have the league I am playing in as full detail how many extra leagues is this going to allow me to run and also is this going to slow down to much... can I then become a manager in one of the low detail leagues and change it around.

You only manaage teams in leagues set as playable (full detail or none)

You can't manage teams in view only leagues and match results are calculated by using the teams reputation rather than the quality and performance of the players.

yes quite a lot.

its really not worth having any league apart from the one your actually managing a team in set to full detail

basically full details uses the full match engine, non-full detail uses a slightly cutdown version but its still pretty good.

view only leagues in my opinion are a waste of time.

yes quite a lot.

its really not worth having any league apart from the one your actually managing a team in set to full detail

basically full details uses the full match engine, non-full detail uses a slightly cutdown version but its still pretty good.

view only leagues in my opinion are a waste of time.

Sorry for being thick here - but how do you know if a league is full detail or low detail?

This or atleast some post similar to this needs to be sticked imo.

The amount of questions about view-only and playable leagues every year (and im included in this :) ) due to lack of info from the manual, could all be answered by this.

I only seem to have the option of "playable" or "view only". Is it that "playable leagues" I select but am not active in are low detail, while the one I manage in will be full detail?

This ^ I think (i hope not) has been changed for this version! Can anyone confirm this, as this would seriously affect the amount of leagues i can run.

I only seem to have the option of "playable" or "view only". Is it that "playable leagues" I select but am not active in are low detail, while the one I manage in will be full detail?

Detail level is something you set after you start the game. And it can be changed at any point during the game.

No, no, I'm sorry, I didn't explain it well. After you create the game and it starts... then you can select detail level. You can change detail level whenever you want during your career.

No, no, I'm sorry, I didn't explain it well. After you create the game and it starts... then you can select detail level. You can change detail level whenever you want during your career.

Where do you do this? And is it defo in 2011? So you to clarify you can set a league as low detail only after you've loaded the game?

Where do you do this? And is it defo in 2011? So you to clarify you can set a league as low detail only after you've loaded the game?

Yes, after you create the game and any time you want to after that. You can set up leagues, cups, or international competitions to whatever detail level you want. It's still in FM11.

Upper right corner, I think. At least in FM10. It's where you click to save game, load game, exit, etc.

Yes, after you create the game and any time you want to after that. You can set up leagues, cups, or international competitions to whatever detail level you want. It's still in FM11.

Ok thanks, so when i do this and change from full to low detail it should speed the game up? I'm running on a high spec pc and want as many playable lague possible, so the more on low detail the better. Also can i switch from low to full and back again anytime i want?

Ok thanks, so when i do this and change from full to low detail it should speed the game up? I'm running on a high spec pc and want as many playable lague possible, so the more on low detail the better. Also can i switch from low to full and back again anytime i want?

Yes, low detail will help speed up your game processing.

Yes, you can change any time you want, any time during your game.

Yes, low detail will help speed up your game processing.

Yes, you can change any time you want, any time during your game.

I can't select low or full detail. The only options I seem to have are All, main, later and none is this what you mean? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

I can't select low or full detail. The only options I seem to have are All, main, later and none is this what you mean? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

That's right. The options you are selecting are essentially WHEN you want to use FULL DETAIL. For all unselected, assume LOW DETAIL.

Your choices will be... like, all matches in that league/cup/competition? Main stages or later stages in that cup/competition?

Examples:

European Championship [you select: MAIN STAGES]... means Full detail for main stages only, but low detail for preliminary rounds.

World Cup Qualifying - Europe [you select: ALL]... means Full detail for all games in WCQ for Europe.

Caribbean Championship [you select: NONE]... means low detail for all matches in this competition.

Examples:

European Championship [you select: MAIN STAGES]... means Full detail for main stages only, but low detail for preliminary rounds.

World Cup Qualifying - Europe [you select: ALL]... means Full detail for all games in WCQ for Europe.

Caribbean Championship [you select: NONE]... means low detail for all matches in this competition.

Cheers mate, all clear now!

• 4 months later...
Examples:

can you tell me where you select these options and it can be accessed after startig a game ......so you can change various comp detail as you go I wasnt aware you could do this

• 1 month later...
I'm also wondering about this. Will view-only leagues produce more newgens than leagues not loaded at all? I would presume they will.

No, they don't. It's the same effect as loading however many players from that country. All view only does is generate a semblance of results of whatever league. If you don't have players loaded for that country, you'll see teams of greyed out players.

• 8 months later...

Useful old thread I missed first time. Is Options>Detail Level still there (besides how many divisions from that league)? I've just got a new computer so looking at how much of the database I can use now. I've chosen most decent European leagues on View Only and added Players From Top Divisions in Europe. So I should get players from top divisions with ratings etc., just not fully simulated matches from their leagues.

Archived