Does anyone else attend matches other than your own at club level?

Hi all,

Recently, I have started attending my rivals matches. Sometimes it's to watch a player I am interested in signing or teams that I am likely to facing in the playoffs (I'm 2nd after 26 matches in BSP).

Suprisingly, this has really added to my enjoyment of the game and helped me improve my reading of the match engine without worrying about my own team.

I like the commentary stating that I have been spotted in the crowd - sometimes I'm not the only manager watching icon_smile.gif

Does anyone else attend other games?

Hi all,

Recently, I have started attending my rivals matches. Sometimes it's to watch a player I am interested in signing or teams that I am likely to facing in the playoffs (I'm 2nd after 26 matches in BSP).

Suprisingly, this has really added to my enjoyment of the game and helped me improve my reading of the match engine without worrying about my own team.

I like the commentary stating that I have been spotted in the crowd - sometimes I'm not the only manager watching icon_smile.gif

Does anyone else attend other games?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does anyone else attend other games? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never have. I spend enough time messing about with my own team to worry about other things which would simply hold me up and quite frankly are not important.

I do see why you do what you do though. icon14.gif

I've never done this but my son did it a couple of weeks ago and was laughing out load when he saw them comment about him being there in the commentary.

He didn't do it on purpose though, (was just experimenting), and doesn't plan on doing it again.

I might do it if there was a particular player of game that I had interest in.

I watch other teams games a few times.

Specifically to rune the rule over a player I'm looking to sign, as especially if he's got a big price tag - I like to see if he justifies it! icon_wink.gif

I also like to watch some of the international games, but again, usually involving players I'm interested in buying.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OugaBagga:

sorry if I sound stupid here but how do you go and watch other clubs games? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would also like to know this. icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Leroy1883:

The way I do it is to left click on the fixture I am interested in attending in the teams fixtures. You can't attend games if you have one of your own to attend at the same time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Leroy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Leroy1883:

The way I do it is to left click on the fixture I am interested in attending in the teams fixtures. You can't attend games if you have one of your own to attend at the same time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry i posted then i saw your. We must have posted at the same time. Opps!

Anyway, this is the first time i have done this, Watching Scotland play croatia in my Villa game. I have Alan Hutton in my squad. Thanks for this tip. icon_biggrin.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you read the match/game engine, when the strikers are missing 6-7 one-on-ones with the goalie every game?

I have done it while managing England. I too like seeing my name in the news item after. I was also interested in signing Van der Vaart so went to watch a match which convinced be to buy him.

Also, when I resigned from Man Utd I went to see a few matches to witness my star striker beat the clubs league goals record. Unfortunately, my name was not on the commentary probably because I had no club.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vanpersie11:

I attend the odd reserve game or internationals. But often deciede I want to leave mid way though the second half. Is it possible to leave or do you have to stay til the end? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeh, after you leave the commentator says 'X has just headed for the car park'. icon_wink.gif

I want to do it but I cant.Im using the steklo skin,and I cant even view my own team playing friendly matches during the pre season (as I asked my assistant to take control the friendly matches).Its quite annoying.Might ask the creator of the skin on how to view other games.Anyone have the same problem??

I have done it a couple of times but think it is a bit pointless. After all you get to see their attributes anyway. Now if you see a striker with 9 finishing and 9 composure score a hattrick would you buy him? I would not, because I would know that it would be unlikely that he would be having those sort of days regularly. After all it is aprogram that is running, and the attributes are absolute.

Another thing I have seen is whenever I have gone to watch a national team player play for the club he has either got a rating of 5 or more than 8. Although I have done it only 2 or 3 times. But just wondering whether the national team managers presence has an effect on players just like team talks and media interactions.

Guest andeeeeel

You can leave by going to the fixture screen of the team your watching, and remove the attend match text, then you just continue the game...

This season (2058/59) I will be watching the Newcastle-Sunderland Championship match as it's the first time the two sides have met in the league since the game began.

It almost didn't happen. Newcaste narowly avoided relegation, and passing Sunderland on the way up.

Thanks for highlighting the issue that everyone knows about - just in case anyone missed it. icon_eek.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're welcome..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

There is more to the match engine than shots off target. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not talking about shots off target.. I am talking about world class strikers missing 6-7 one-on-ones every game..

The game engine is useless if they allow a bug like this to be..

Would be the same as Kobe Bryant shooting three-pointers from his own half and scoring..

• 2 months later...

I just went to watch Marseille, because they're my next European opponents and I have the French league running.

A player I've got on my shortlist, who's averaged 6.4 for them for the last three seasons (it's why I never bothered buying him - but I forget to take these types off my list) got a 9 rating, scored two goals and was Man of the Match.

The other shortlisted player got two goals and an 8 rating as well.

I find myself wondering - rather egotistically, probably - whether they made an effort because I was there... if so, it's a nice touch in the game.

Also interesting was the fact that they used a formation they don't normally use.

Oh, and switched formation about a dozen times in the match - it's always bugged me that we're advised in the tips not to do this, but the AI does it all the time.

I didn't know you could leave before the end, though. I'm going to do that next time.

I watched a Euro game that England were in before while Leeds manager.

I liked the media comment 'the Leeds boss was seen in the stands. With no transfer targets playing it seems he was just taking advantage of his clubs generous travel expenses' icon_biggrin.gif

never done it as a club manager but recently was manager of Italy and went to watch the Man City v Man United match and was spotted and got a message saying that i was spotted in the crowd and got a message saying "Porritt is known to be a big fan of manchester city and tries to see them play whenever his busy schedule allows" think this is a really good feature and didnt expect it at all

I watch my reserves occasionly and afterwards I tend to get the following news item:

"Tiro Federal boss Sir_Liam was spotted in the crowd during Tiro Federal Reserves match against <Opponents name>". It then goes on about me being there to look for future signings, rather than simply popping down to see how my back-up players and youngsters are going. Nice little feature though even if it doesn't add a lot to the overall game.

I'm currently managing in Sweden where they have a massive winter break. I went to Coventry's Christmas fixtures (including a win over Forest on boxing day woohoo) because I figured I'd be back home for the holidays. I didn't get that cool 'he's known to be a fan' message though.

I regularly go to games. Cup finals, Champs League and international matches featuring my players especially. I have done it to scout a player too.

i suppose attending a match could get you linked more closely with a player which might unsettle him enough for you to be able to buy him? its a long shot. also, surely if it says you've been spotted in the crowd taking a closer look at a certain player, you'll be able to tell how good they are under pressure (of having someone of influence there to watch him)? its another long shot

I'm currently managing my hometown team, Bangor in N.Ireland, but decided to watch Spurs in a UEFA game away to Salzburg.

Since I have Spurs selected as my favourite team in my profile, I got a news item mentioning my attendance in Austria, which also said as a Tottenham fan, I try to get to as many games as my work schedule allows.

I just hope this won't unsettle the Bangor players, thinking I'm not dedicated to the club, or deduct the cost of a flight and hotael in Austira from my budget

I genuinely never knew about this.

Seriously, now I'm going to attend loads of matches.

I'm wondering if it would be of benefit to those who think the AI cheats them?

They would most likely see that "Other" matches play out in the same manner as theirs....

Thereby nullifying their claim.

• 4 weeks later...

i often watch rangers games if im manageing another team. I am a Rangers man through and through and have it as fav team on the game. Also like to see how well they are doing. Although havent been since they employed David Moyes(A celtic fan) whos profile said disappointed at how things were going when he was top of the league. Says it all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sumata:

How's about giving the option to camouflage yourself José Mourinho style, so no-one knows you're scouting players? Paper doll interface with abundance of fake beards and noses to choose from icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice try, but alas the cameras will still find you and the media will announce it to the world (just contemplating the line of feed in the FM inbox now... icon_biggrin.gif )

Archived