FM08: Official Liverpool Thread

676vi5.png

If it wasn't for one man, Liverpool Football Club would never have been born. When Everton left Anfield in a dispute over rent in 1892, club chairman John Houlding stayed behind along with a handful of supporters and just three first-team players. But he was determined to see football continue at the ground. He formed a new club from scratch, chose the name Liverpool… and created a legend.

Even John Houlding couldn't have predicted how successful it would become. More than 100 years on, no English club can match the LiverpoolFC roll of honour; League Champions 18 times, FA Cup winners seven times, League Cup winners seven times, European Cup winners five times and UEFA Cup winners three times.

Board of Directors

Co. Chairmen G.N. Gillett Jnr and T.O. Hicks

Chief Executive R.N.Parry B.Sc, F.C.A.

Directors F.L. Gillett

T.O. Hicks Jnr

D.R. Moores

R.N. Parry BSc FCA

Hon Life President D.R. Moores

Hon Life Vice Presidents T.D. Smith

K.E.B. Clayton FCA

J.D. Burns

J.H. Cresswell ACA

Secretary W.B.Morrison

Manager Rafael Benitez

Coaching Staff

Alex Miller - First Team Coach

Gary Ablett - Reserve Team Manager

Angel Vales - Reserve Coach and Head of Technical Analysis

Xavi Valero - Goalkeeping Coach

Mark Waller - Club Doctor

Eduardo Macia - Chief Scout

Mike McGlynn - Assistant Chief Scout

Rob Price - Senior Physiotherapist

Louise Fawcett - Physiotherapist

Victor Salinas - Physiotherapist

Chris Morgan - Physiotherapist

Paco De Miguel - Fitness Coach

Antonio Gomez - Fitness Coach

Paul Small - Masseur

Graham Carter - Kit Manager

John Wright - Kit Man

Dave McDonough - Technical Analyst

Honours

League Champions 18

1900-01 1905-06 1921-22 1922-23 1946-47

1963-64 1965-66 1972-73 1975-76 1976-77

1978-79 1979-80 1981-82 1982-83 1983-84

1985-86 1987-88 1989-90

Division Two Winners 4

1893-94 1895-96 1904-05 1961-62

Lancashire League Winners 1

1892-93

Football Association Challenge Cup Winners 7

1964-65 1973-74 1985-86 1988-89 1991-92

2000-01 2005-06

League Cup Winners 7

1980-81 1981-82 1982-83 1983-84 1994-95

2000-01 2002-03

Football Association Charity Shield Winners 15

1964* 1965* 1966 1974 1976

1977* 1979 1980 1982 1986*

1988 1989 1990* 2001 2006

( * shared)

European Cup Winners 5

1976-77 1977-78 1980-81 1983-84 2004-05

UEFA Cup Winners 3

1972-73 1975-76 2000-01

European Super Cup Winners 3

1977 2001 2005

Super Cup Winners 1

1985-86

Carlsberg Trophy 3

1997-98 1998-99 1999-2000

Reserves Division One Winners 16

1956-57 1968-69 1969-70 1970-71 1972-73

1973-74 1974-75 1975-76 1976-77 1978-79

1980-81 1981-82 1983-84 1984-85 1989-90

1999-2000

FA Youth Cup Winners 3

1st Team Squad

3. Steve Finnan

4. Sami Hyypia

5. Daniel Agger

6. John Arne Riise

7. Harry Kewell

8. Steven Gerrard

9. Fernando Torres

10. Andriy Voronin

11. Yossi Benayoun

12. Fabio Aurelio

14. Xabi Alonso

15. Peter Crouch

16. Jermaine Pennant

17. Alvaro Arbeloa

18. Dirk Kuyt

19. Ryan Babel

20. Javier Mascherano

21. Lucas Leiva

22. Momo Sissoko

23. Jamie Carragher

25. Pepe Reina

30. Charles Itandje

33. Sebastian Leto

34. Jay Spearing

35. Ray Putterill

36. Ryan Flynn

38. Craig Lindfield

39. Stephen Darby

40. David Martin

42. Nabil El Zhar

44. Robbie Threlfall

46. Jack Hobbs

48. Emiliano Insua

- Anthony Le Tallec

- Adam Hammill

- Besian Idrizaj

- Danny Guthrie

- Lee Peltier

- Francisco Duran

- Nikolay Mihaylov

- Andras Simon

- Paul Anderson

- Martin Kelly

- Dean Bouzanis

- Damien Plessis

- Mikel San Jose Dominguez

- Jordy Brouwer

- Ryan Crowther

- Peter Gulacsi

- Krisztian Nemeth

- Martin Hansen

- Ronald Huth

- James Smith

- Scott Carson

- Godwin Antwi

- Miki Roque

Areas to strengthen

Possibly in defence with the squad being slightly short on Centre-Back cover.

Areas of strength

Central Midfield & Strikers

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hyypia was **** for me so i sold him. Trying really hard to get rid of kewell, voronin and pennant. The budget adjustment feature is so good that i have 30 million to spend from the start. End up having kompany, adriano( my top scorer now ), saivet, petri pasanen and Rafinha. 1st place at the end of the demo.

for 6 months I have not really made any long term signings, just another AMC to rotate with Gerrard a bit. (Matias Fernandez or something his name)

I am doing ok so far, unbeaten in pre-season friendlys, unbeaten in the premiership, although akin to real life too many draws (everton, west ham and another draw with another team if i remember)

beat man u 3-2 though.

my preferred line up is this:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Kuyt Torres

Gerrard

Babel Pennant

Mascherano

Riise Agger Carragher Finnan

Reina

</pre>

only thing I am not sure of is finnan or arbeloa, also akin to real life I am rotating a lot.

Seems to be going well though.

Nice one Cleon.

This time round I'm gonna try and change my formation and try to create a diamond in midfield utilising Alonso as a playmaker and Stevie in a freeish role behind the front 2. I normally use a target man but may use Crouch or Kuyt to hold up the play without them set as an out & out targetman. Try maybe to get the 2nd striker to & AMC running beyond. But having said this I do like to use a lot of width getting crosses in. Any thoughts on this welcome.

well I am trying the diamond so I can utilise Gerrard in his 'preferred' position, who seems to be really effective compared to FM07

the only problem is with Gerrard so forward, it does start to leave a bit of a gap between him and the DMC, so I like to use someone like Mascherano or Sissoko as opposed to Xabi Alonso who is perhaps more of a play maker than a ball winner...

I have my team instructions on go down both flanks and I have my wing backs with attacking mentalities to get the ball up those flanks with (hopefully) 3 players in the box to get it in.

I guess we have a similar idea OST, it appears to stop us loosing but sometimes I am drawing games I think I ought to win.

profii you're right about being exposed in the middle. I'm used to using 2 central with 1 holding more & 1 attacking. This provided cover as they were pretty close together. I'm reluctant to use Sissoko as in his preffered moves he has 'likes to get forward'. Maybe trying to win the ball further up field is a possibility.

My usual thing is that once I get a goal or 2 I sub a striker for another DMC, then put the arrows on the wingers.

Seems to be ok although there is definitely too much space in the middle doing a 4-4-2 diamond.

Originally posted by profii:

well I am trying the diamond so I can utilise Gerrard in his 'preferred' position, who seems to be really effective compared to FM07

the only problem is with Gerrard so forward, it does start to leave a bit of a gap between him and the DMC, so I like to use someone like Mascherano or Sissoko as opposed to Xabi Alonso who is perhaps more of a play maker than a ball winner...

I have my team instructions on go down both flanks and I have my wing backs with attacking mentalities to get the ball up those flanks with (hopefully) 3 players in the box to get it in.

I guess we have a similar idea OST, it appears to stop us loosing but sometimes I am drawing games I think I ought to win.

I would recommend you trying a "small" diamond in midfield, using a DMC and a MC instead of a DMC and AMC.

Give the MC a farrow either to the AMC spot or, as I'm playing right now, a farrow to the FC spot.

He will then be very offensive but still act like a midfielder, helping to leave a smaller gap between your midfielders.

Right now I'm playing a 4-3-3 with a MC having a farrow to the SC spot, and he's my current topscorer with 5 goals in 4 matches.

Diablo/Scramjet anyone? icon_biggrin.gif

alright people,

been registerd for ages but never really posted anythin,

jus wanna say cant wait for the full version, not long now is it?

anyway i hope gerrard is more like he is in real life on the new one, on 07 he had all the attributes but never really shone for me, he was good but for sum reson never really stood out as world class in terms of performance

anyway thats my 2pence worth

Originally posted by Fab_Cesc:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by profii:

I would recommend you trying a "small" diamond in midfield, using a DMC and a MC instead of a DMC and AMC.

Give the MC a farrow either to the AMC spot or, as I'm playing right now, a farrow to the FC spot.

He will then be very offensive but still act like a midfielder, helping to leave a smaller gap between your midfielders.

Right now I'm playing a 4-3-3 with a MC having a farrow to the SC spot, and he's my current topscorer with 5 goals in 4 matches.

Diablo/Scramjet anyone? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>yeah i am experimenting with free role at the moment but it doesnt really seem to help, i think 'small diamond' is probably the next test, although gerrard is 'swapping' with the strikers and getting right in the box so i am reluctant... worth a go though!

Originally posted by thehobo:

how the hell did you get 30 mill?

i started with around 9 and tweaked it to about 14 with the transfer budget/wage bill thing

if you sell someone and tweak the wage budget yet more... i believe that is how people are getting 30mil

Originally posted by kennec:

do realy pool have those kind of funds?

30-40 mill sounds way to much. whut did they pay for torres?

You start with £8m but you can adjust you transfer/wage budget accordingly.

Formation coming along nicely. Although Gerrard is out for a month. Benayoun came in at AMC and was man of the match so I may not sign anyone for that position. Although scouting for youngsters. Re-training lucas & Sissoko to play there. I'm still also looking for a centre-half.

Why not try a 4-1-2-1-2 Milan style, something like this:

------Torres--Kuyt------

----------Babel---------

----Sissoko--Gerrard----

-------Mascherano-------

Riise-Agger-Carra-Finnan

---------Reina----------

With Benayoun as cover for the playmaker position and if you somehow manage to bring Richards he could cover for Agger and Mascherano

Originally posted by senatekerry:

ya liverpool is great

andi am using it but the transfer budjet is ok la when i adjusted the wage u know what i mean

but i think that liverpool need a centre back and reli a world class winger i bought matias fernadez he can play amc and aml ya

Don't really rate Matias Fernandez as much of a winger, I use him as a cover for Gerrard, he is good though.

Originally posted by profii:

But if even rafa cant beat them then its ok icon_wink.gif

Not doin too bad there profii. Haven't had much time to play myself. Startin again on my formation. Trying to come up with a 4-1-3-2 with thw wide men pushing on to get crosses in. Gonna use demo time to come up with somthing and then probably start properly when the full version is released.

I have just downloaded the demo and started with Liverpool. I have played AC Milan and won them 3 - 1!!! Torres got sent off in the third minute for elbowing Nesta in the face!!! In my next game I played Benavento. We won 3 - 0, I then signed Adriano on loan till the end of the season and he scored a hat-trick on his debut against Treviso and the first goal he scored was his first touch of the ball in a liverpool strip. He replaced Torres who is out for a week with concussion.

Originally posted by LiverpoolSimplyTheBest:

I can go elsewhere?

Surely Cleon you know ynwa is the biggest wind up merchant in history?

Anyway, very good first post Tommy la, haven't bothered downloading the demo, won't do so, but will get the game at Christmas, and my first game will of course be with the mighty Reds.

YNWA

icon14.gif

Good to see you LSTB!

We all know he'a wind up. I'm sure Cleon does too. He's banned enough times!

What are your views on the fact that Babel, Pennant etc. aren't able to play in midfield; rather as wingers?

It winds me up a fair bit. I feel reluctant to play a standard 4-4-2 with the likes on Babel and Pennant down the wings as I know they won't perform well in wide midfeld.

I've tried playing them both as wingers, but trotting back, but with no real joy.

Views anyone?

I've used Kewell, 2 goals in 5 games with 3 assists all coming from the striker position. Isn't totally ideal since theres Kuyt, Crouch and Ballamy also on the strikers area but it has worked for me. Probably got abit lucky xD

Get Breno off Sao Paulo for long-term investment.

Originally posted by you'll_never_walk_alone:

Dont think ive ever been banned by Cleon actually icon_razz.gif

Anyway havent got the demo yet as i would complete the 6 months in a number of hours, so im planning on a long Career game with Liverpool when the full version comes out

Will definitely strengthen the cb spot, along with the left hand side.

Any Names?

I've not really found anyone yet. Picked a young CB from Lazio called Alessandro Tuia. He's only 16 but he looks decent already, but only time will tell. Also signed Henri Saivet.

On the left Leto doesn't look too bad, but I've been using Babel there.

What are your views on the fact that Babel, Pennant etc. aren't able to play in midfield; rather as wingers?

It winds me up a fair bit. I feel reluctant to play a standard 4-4-2 with the likes on Babel and Pennant down the wings as I know they won't perform well in wide midfeld.

I've tried playing them both as wingers, but trotting back, but with no real joy.

Views anyone?

I've been discussing width in 1 of Rashidi1's threads and there's some good adivce on width in there. Have a look in here!

gonna start yet another liverpool game on the demo have tried a few formations on this game am going for a 443 but its set up like this

GK

DL DC DC DR

MC MC MC

AML AMR

ST

dont know wheter it will work with one up front but gonna give it a go am gonna sell crouch maybe voronin and have torres kuyt and try and loan adriano for the 1striker slot will need to rely on wingers keeping babel for right gonna get some for left will post back afetr friendly games

Archived