football manager 2010 is running dangerously low on memory

"football manager 2010 is running dangerously low on memory, please quit and free up some memory"

When i press the shortcut of the game and it starts loading , this appears every time and i can't get into the main menu of the game :( , i already reinstall it for a few times but it still happen...

I hv 1 GB ram and still have 20 GB space in my drive...

plz help... thx

I don't know if this helps or not, but I also have just 1GB of memory, and have increased the size of the swap file to help it out. You can do this via the Control panel somewhere.

sorry, wt is swap file?? i only increased the virtual memory but still didn't work...:(

thanks

Football Manager 2010

System Requirements*

Intel CPU - Pentium 4 3.0GHz

AMD CPU - Athlon 64 4000+

Nvidia Graphics Card - Geforce 7600 GT 256MB

ATI & Intel Graphics Card - Radeon X1800 Series 256MB

RAM - 1.5 GB

Hard Disk Space - 2.5 GB

Direct X - 9

As you can see the game require more RAM than you've got. You should upgrade to 2 or even 4gb Ram. It's cheap anyway.

Football Manager 2010

System Requirements*

Intel CPU - Pentium 4 3.0GHz

AMD CPU - Athlon 64 4000+

Nvidia Graphics Card - Geforce 7600 GT 256MB

ATI & Intel Graphics Card - Radeon X1800 Series 256MB

RAM - 1.5 GB

Hard Disk Space - 2.5 GB

Direct X - 9

As you can see the game require more RAM than you've got. You should upgrade to 2 or even 4gb Ram. It's cheap anyway.

No it isn't. Well not anymore, DDR2 has gone very expensive.

I think 1 GB memory may be your problem. It is quite low for gaming for this time. Possibly it fulfills the minimum requirement of the specs but even if it runs it will be very slow and unstable. I assume 2 GB extra memory will not cost even as much as the FM disc.

Go for 3 or 4 gig. I had 2gig on FM09 and had problems with the game crashing -upgraded to 4 gig and no problems now, very smooth and quick. Just a word about memory. Be careful about going for the cheapest, unbranded RAM can cause problems, imo you're better going for a branded make and try to match the make with what you already have installed as matching pairs are more steady and generally work better.

It's not low RAM. Had the game quit on me for low memory once so far and I'm equiped with 4GB. There were a few other things open at the time but I usually have much more and its been fine, even on my old laptop with I think only had 1GB, though it was on XP so I only needed half that. Maybe its because Vista requires more space for everything but 09's requirements were the same and that was fine.

It's not low RAM.

That's the point, it's not how much RAM you have, people should care of this, it's how the software use it.

You can have 1 Petabyte and still have problems.

What I can't understand is: why was demo absolutely perfect in this sense and why has full game such a problem? I'm asking because I have never found those problems in FM since this release.

you have 1 gig of memory,. but what operating system are you running? If your running vista or even windows 7 then all of your memory usage will be taken by the operating system,. and i do mean all of it.

To increase virtual memory you need to right click on the game .exe file, go to properties and select.. actually i have totally forgot how to do it sorry lol. Been such a long time since i had to last do it.

ok found this for you.

In Windows XP

1.Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2.Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

3.On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.

4.On the Advanced tab, under Virtual memory, click Change.

5.Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file that you want to change.

6.Under Paging file size for selected drive, click to Custom size check box. You can enter the amount of memory you would like to reserve for Virtual memory by entering the initial and maximum size.

7.Click Set

When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Yes.

Special Note: You should choose the same amount for the initial size and maximum size. This will Stop your CPU from constantly changing the paging file.

To stop your CPU from constantly changing the paging file, set the initial and maximum size to the same value. For example, 500 and 500. The value should be at least 1.5 times more than your physical RAM. If your computer has 512MB of RAM increase the virtual memory paging file to 1.5*512= 768

In Vista

1. Click Start button Picture of the Start button

2. Click Control Panel

3. Choose System and Maintenance and then click System.

4. In the left pane, click Advanced system settings.

5.On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.

6. Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Virtual memory, choose Change.

7. Click Custom to change the Initial size (MB) and Maximum size. See the hot tip above.

copied and pasted straight from http://www.delete-computer-history.com/increase-virtual-memory.html

you have 1 gig of memory,. but what operating system are you running? If your running vista or even windows 7 then all of your memory usage will be taken by the operating system,. and i do mean all of it.

To increase virtual memory you need to right click on the game .exe file, go to properties and select.. actually i have totally forgot how to do it sorry lol. Been such a long time since i had to last do it.

ok found this for you.

In Windows XP

5.Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file that you want to change.

6.Under Paging file size for selected drive, click to Custom size check box. You can enter the amount of memory you would like to reserve for Virtual memory by entering the initial and maximum size.

7.Click Set

Special Note: You should choose the same amount for the initial size and maximum size. This will Stop your CPU from constantly changing the paging file.

To stop your CPU from constantly changing the paging file, set the initial and maximum size to the same value. For example, 500 and 500. The value should be at least 1.5 times more than your physical RAM. If your computer has 512MB of RAM increase the virtual memory paging file to 1.5*512= 768

In Vista

2. Click Control Panel

7. Click Custom to change the Initial size (MB) and Maximum size. See the hot tip above.

copied and pasted straight from http://www.delete-computer-history.com/increase-virtual-memory.html

which drive do i need to change please ?

• Administrators

We are looking into this most definitely, for now I would certainly suggest don't run bloated saves with many random leagues - try and keep it down and there is much less chance of this happening.

ok found this for you.

In Windows XP

7.Click Set

In Vista

2. Click Control Panel

I had the same problem about running dangeroulsly low on memory, then running out of memory completely whenever i tried to play my first game. But i followed the steps above for vista and now it works perfectly. So thanks for the advice :):thup:

You could try downloading and using game booster (it's a free app that temporarily shuts down background processes) and making sure all other un-needed applications are closed down while playing FM, it's what I've been doing since my laptop isn't a bit old and not quite up to the games system requirements and it's been running fine since.

We are looking into this most definitely, for now I would certainly suggest don't run bloated saves with many random leagues - try and keep it down and there is much less chance of this happening.

i have a quad core, 4 gb ddr2 ram gaming system running 6 leagues (english, italian, spanish, french, dutch and german top leagues only) with no others on see only or anything, and am having the same issue. i also have a stupidly high virtual memory pager (around 40 gig to try and fix this! lol) which makes no difference - im lucky to get through one game on 2d graphics, and 3d graphics wont even load, i just get same error.

one thing i did notice is that this only started happening after a fairly recent windows update, there were no issues beforehand. maybe something in there is the real issue (ie clash somewhere), and not the actual game coding per se?

its not a problem with memory its a problem with your on drivers for your motherboard, up to now its also unfixable with all the updates faq's etc unless you change your motherbaord

i have had the same problem and could not start a game as i was getting this error, tried everything xp-vista-Win7 new graphics card upgrade RAM update'd ALL software still would not load up the start game menu had to load the wrong motherboard drivers onto a different hard drive with vista in order to play on my PC

i would go for 4096 in both boxes... if possible put it on a drive that the operating system isn't on!

I guess a relevant question is, how easy is it to fit more RAM into a laptop?

Another, is there an effective limit on RAM recognised by your system? ie, 32-bit operating systems only using 3.5GB (ish) therefore its pointless getting anymore.

Pretty easy. There will be a panel underneath most laptops which indicates where RAM is(look at user manual? maybe from your manufacturers website if unsure) Simply unscrew it... then there is usually 1 or 2 slots... If 1 then you'll have to replace it with the new RAM or if 2 your computer should hapilly accept the new RAM in the second slot. (look at how the current one is fitted and make sure you put it in the same way... it should be simple to see)

To make sure you get the right RAM just go to crucial.com/uk and use the system scanner to tell you what RAM you need then search around for the best price as crucial might be more expensive then some places :thup:

• 3 weeks later...

Running in 4GB memory + 1GB video memory 3.06 GHz dual core, still getting the message.

Game uses more than 1.5GB memory most of the time.

I use 3dsMax, Illustrator CS4, Photoshop CS4 all in the same time, but they still cannot beat FM10 memory usage even when they combined.

So yeah, it is a memory leak, not a spec problem.

So ... now I can't play a long career for 2 reasons, this memory leak (after 1 season already sometimes in holiday game) and the flaws with regens ... geuss I'll just stick to editor until the game is playable, I'm really disappointed.

• Administrators

We're aware whilst patch 10.1.1 fixed some of the issues that a small amount of users are facing memory wise, we're aware of some other issues and knock on issues that have been raised, and have a team of people looking into the problems with respect to having more changes being made for patch 2, many of which have been made already. Patch 2 is still on schedule for being released before Xmas.

Until these have gone through a full testing cycle, we don't know what will work and what won't, but you can limit any problems with the following.

1) Do not start a game with an amount of leagues/added players that your machine cannot handle. We would not recommend anyone with 1MB RAM starting a game with more than 20,000 players loaded, nor more than 75,000 players for anyone with 2MB RAM or above at this stage - there still isn't a home computer that can handle running all leagues in the game, and the specs on the back of the box are the minimum specs needed to play the game, not to play the game with everything turned up to maximum.

2) Do not use ANY saved game/real time editors. We'll try and help anyone with a problem, but if you've used a third party tool, we have no idea what they are doing, and we definitely have some cases of corrupt saved games and corrupt memory being caused by these kinds of tools.

3) If you are having these issues, it's worth keeping "task manager" open to check memory usage and play in windowed mode. If you find the game using huge amounts of memory, then minimise the game window, and maximise it again, which seems to "flush" the memory.

4) Managing multiple clubs can have a memory effect, and this is a bug which has been fixed for patch 2 (subject to QA verifying). Thank you to those of you who pointed us in the direction of this, as the info your provided was invaluable in tracking this down.

5) Save the game regularly!

I know this isn't ideal, but we are very much looking into this issue and spending a very large amount of time trying to track it down. I know many of you are frustrated and understandably so - we really appreciate your patience in this matter. Thanks.

[/color][/size][/font] 3) If you are having these issues, it's worth keeping "task manager" open to check memory usage and play in windowed mode. If you find the game using huge amounts of memory, then minimise the game window, and maximise it again, which seems to "flush" the memory.

Excuse my ignorance, but how can I play FM in windowed mode?

Can I get FM to launch in a window or do I have to do it once in a game?

TY for any replies in advance.

Excuse my ignorance, but how can I play FM in windowed mode?

Can I get FM to launch in a window or do I have to do it once in a game?

TY for any replies in advance.

Ok, on the Preferences screen, go to the display tab. It is near where you select the skin, there is a drop down box. It has options such as 1260x840, etc., at the bottom of that list there is the option to play in Windowed mode.

You may want to use the Netbook Skin (not sure if I am allowed to link....?) as will not be able to see your whole squad any more. Perhaps only 19 players.

Hope this Helps.

To the Original Poster - Welcome to our 'Minority'. Like many others I am enjoying My Crash Dump Manager 2010 - I am doing really well, I have had crash dumps in England, twice, Germany and Russia/Ukraine - I am on my way to the 'Hall of Fame.....'

Ok, on the Preferences screen, go to the display tab. It is near where you select the skin, there is a drop down box. It has options such as 1260x840, etc., at the bottom of that list there is the option to play in Windowed mode.

You may want to use the Netbook Skin (not sure if I am allowed to link....?) as will not be able to see your whole squad any more. Perhaps only 19 players.

Hope this Helps..'

Thanks mate, but for some reason, that option is currently greyed out on the drop down box and I cannot select it.

Do I have to choose windowed mode before I set up a game?

In other words, is it be possible to play a saved game in windowed mode if you did not select that option before you confimed the start of the game?

Thanks mate, but for some reason, that option is currently greyed out on the drop down box and I cannot select it.

Do I have to choose windowed mode before I set up a game?

In other words, is it be possible to play a saved game in windowed mode if you did not select that option before you confimed the start of the game?

The problem is that you need to change the screen resolution on your monitor. I have a 1280x800 resolution, and I can change this in the start screen and in an abandonned save game.

On Vista, for example, right click on the desktop and click Personalise and at the bottom there is an option called Display Settings, you can change the resolution on there. Perhaps on your monitor as well.

The problem is that you need to change the screen resolution on your monitor. I have a 1280x800 resolution, and I can change this in the start screen and in an abandonned save game.

On Vista, for example, right click on the desktop and click Personalise and at the bottom there is an option called Display Settings, you can change the resolution on there. Perhaps on your monitor as well.

Thanks mate but Im running XP.

I think I found how to change resoloution (Right click desktop and choose properties) but it just made all my desktop icons smaller and the task bar disapeared.

I cant see how that will help anyway, how will that "Ungrey" the windowed option in preferences in FM?

• 1 month later...

this problem just appeared on my pc 2. i have 4gb kingostone ddr2 800mhz and this is whats going on. when i start fm, game memory usage is around 300mb, when i load game it jumps to ~600mb. while im playing its filling memory easily, but even when i dont do anything usage increases. when i get to the match memory usage jumps to over 1gb (sometimes it frees some memory when i go to the match) and very often it crashes when i enter tactics in the match because memory usage go over 2GB. ive tried different memory defragment and recovery programs but nothing can salvage enough memory. ive hit 8th season now so saving/loading after every 2-3 games isnt very entertaining !!

Archived