Poll: FM 2008, playable or not?

Dear readers, many people have expressed their opinion as to the playability, or not, of the current version of FM 2008. While I have expressed my own opinions to this matter, I am fully prepared to admit that I may be part of a minority.

In order to judge the opinion of the populace of these forums, please reply to this post stating either "playable" or "not playable" followed by your version of the game.

Please, do not flame, whine or post off topic in this thread. Thank you.

Disclaimer: this post is not meant as any dig or whine at SI for FM 2008. This is a community, and I am merely trying to judge the feeling of the community.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear readers, many people have expressed their opinion as to the playability, or not, of the current version of FM 2008. While I have expressed my own opinions to this matter, I am fully prepared to admit that I may be part of a minority.

In order to judge the opinion of the populace of these forums, please reply to this post stating either "playable" or "not playable" followed by your version of the game.

Please, do not flame, whine or post off topic in this thread. Thank you.

Disclaimer: this post is not meant as any dig or whine at SI for FM 2008. This is a community, and I am merely trying to judge the feeling of the community.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stumostro:

Playable, it loads up, it works therefore is playable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am at awe at your infinite wisdom.

There is no need for such polls. Anyone in their right minds will tell you that the game is not working as intended and has major bugs in almost every category.

You can, of course, close your eyes and don't give a damn. Which is what SI really wants.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">many people have expressed their opinion as to the playability, or not, of the current version of FM 2008. While I have expressed my own opinions to this matter, I am fully prepared to admit that I may be part of a minority.

In order to judge the </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Easily playable, best FM so far!

Its definitely playable... but is it fun?

I must confess that FM 08 has been a frustrating experience for me, namely because of the buggy match engine - first with the closing down bug and now the 30+ shots bug.

I loved FM 07 and couldn't get away from it, a thoroughly addictive experience. With 08 however it's far from that.

I must confess that it's the first time that I have felt compelled to set the FM Series aside and give the likes of Fifa Manager and Championship Manager 08 a go.

PS. Getting Fifa Manager this weekend - will report back on it in the near future.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by New_Xieland:

Its definitely playable... but is it fun?

I must confess that FM 08 has been a frustrating experience for me, namely because of the buggy match engine - first with the closing down bug and now the 30+ shots bug.

I loved FM 07 and couldn't get away from it, a thoroughly addictive experience. With 08 however it's far from that.

I must confess that it's the first time that I have felt compelled to set the FM Series aside and give the likes of Fifa Manager and Championship Manager 08 a go.

PS. Getting Fifa Manager this weekend - will report back on it in the near future. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Getting it too. Less of boring and more of variation.

Playable! Every patch has been playable.

It drives you mad, it makes you tear your hair out and is probably sending us all to an early grave through stress, but no matter how annoying some of the bugs or issues are, I always go back for more!

also unplayable for those who want to play spanish leagues. (registration)

I'm curious with people that find 801 palyable. is it playable when you need to adapt your tactics (slow, defensive, long shots to rarely and all that crap)? I realy did't find playable/enjoyable when shootin 30 times and not scoring. but it was probably my tactics...

On the sliders everything above 15 is useless, Even players like ronaldinho,silva etc. cant be played with CF above 15-16. I cant remember last goal from distance,every time my players shoot its like baloons to the keeper. And why is Henry so bad ,he scored a couple of goals ,on the other hand Aguero is a beast ( Speed ). It looks that extremes are what you need to have affect ( speed 18-20,finishing 18-20,header 18-20 ) and not balanced players that are good at all but not bril. The game is great but it needs some work. Playable but not so fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ollieonly1:

Unplayable. Particularly in lower leagues. Age-old defence problems etc...

Running v8.0.1 latest. These bugs werent present in 2007 or 2006. Im praying for improvements in 8.0.2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The question should really be "Is it enjoyable?"

I personally am not enjoying it anywhere near the levels I have enjoyed every other version. Mainly I think it's to do with the 1-on-1 shooting bug. I know my player will just whack it straight at the goalie so the excitement is gone, there's no anticipation or thrill when a player is put through.

Playable as obviously it loads up etc (except for those who want to play spanish leagues and with crash dumps etc) However IMO it's an awful game, as people have said bugs in too many major areas, first FM/CM that I haven't been riveted to, I haven't even played it since starting my first few matches on 8.0.1. Have never seen this many complaints over an SI game which is a huge dissapointment, becuase they are ususally the excellent.

I've said it before but in 08 there's to many good ideas with awful execution, and they've even managed to mess up some things that were completely solid in 07 (not perfect, but solid)

There's also too many gimmicky features, like matchflow: decent idea, but was it really nessacary(sp) especially when there's other fundamental flaws that need to be fixed?

To claim some of these things a key features such an fan days is ridiculous.

I could understand these bugs if there was a major, innovative newly implemented feature such as the visual engine im CM 4, but when there's been nothing major implemented, it's terrible.

Some people claiming the game needs a complete revamp are wrong IMO, I just want the basic foundations of a managerial game working right.

As for those enjoying the game fair play to you all, just wish I could enjoy my favourite computer game series icon_frown.gif

Archived