This is FM08 all over again

So I've been trying out loads of tactics and testing and all with the same result (I use teams like Hull, Notts e.c) One of the team scores in the first 15 mins and 10 mins after that first goal the other gets back into the game and from that point you will end up loosing (or winning but thats a rare case as Hull) 1-3.

This cheap predictable formula was used in FM08 and i was sick of it, and now its back. I'm far from impressed.

I also did some testing with the same tactic: First I lost 1-7 against Man Utd, then I won 2-1, and then I lost 4-5, seems like tactics have no 'real' effect.

I hereby declare disappointment in this version of the game and hope the x-mas patch will do something good for the players.

Your tests are contradictory. If you always end up winning or losing 3-1, how have you managed to lose 1-7, 4-5 and win 2-1?

Tactics having no real effect is a very invalid point. Why don't you make a standard 4-4-2 pack consisting of 3-5 tactics yourself, or with the tactics creator if you have little knowledge of tactics. I haven't had a single 3-1 score line in 18 games.

If the tactic is unconventional or takes a while for players adapt to, this could account for the inconsistent score lines too.

I think what he is saying is that his same tactics are getting him much different results when playing the same game over....

You wouldn't expect to beat a team 2-1 that has just beat you 7-1, using the same tactics. (not that it's impossible)

Your saving the game, playing a match then going back an replaying it using the same tactics right?!

Did you use the same personnel an team talks....

'Tactics' is not just how you set the team up initially, it's how you adapt to the opposition and the in-game conditions aswell. You need to respond to what's happening, rather than just sit there letting the game play out and then moaning about it afterwards. It only takes a few small differences for a game to play out in a completely different direction - if you score first, the opposition will come at you, you could adapt and catch them on the break and win 3-0, or you could not adapt, get overpowered and end up losing 3-1, all because of a few minor tweaks.

football isnt an exact science and nor should Fm be. To play the same game ten times you certainly shouldnt expect the same result 10 times. For example if man u and bolton played 10 times IRL with the same tactics and players dont you think there would be 10 different outcomes. some days they'd win some days theyd lose. even with all of those factors controlled, its always going to be slighty random, and to say your tactics have no effect after playing three games is ridiuclous.

also Kal its quite possible that you win 2-1 and lose 7-1 t a team you use the same tactics with. there are so many things that can effect a result. for example its 1-1 after 25 mins, your striker shoots and on one occassion he takes one small extra touch and consequently hits the bar. so instead of scoring to make it 2-1 its still 1-1. from the rebound the oppo take the ball up the other end and score to make it 2-1, bouyant and energised by the goal they go and score another by half time. The second half coems and they score four more because you got the team talk wrong and they are playing with confidence now.

Small things change football matches. and whatever tactics you play there should always be the chance of a suprise result.

I think what he is saying is that his same tactics are getting him much different results when playing the same game over....

You wouldn't expect to beat a team 2-1 that has just beat you 7-1, using the same tactics. (not that it's impossible)

Your saving the game, playing a match then going back an replaying it using the same tactics right?!

Did you use the same personnel an team talks....

Yes I saved & reloaded, and I always used the same talk before the match started but it was different in half time, depending on how my team was doing.

I made another tactic that seems to be better, 4-1-2-1-2 ftw :p

also Kal its quite possible that you win 2-1 and lose 7-1 t a team you use the same tactics with. there are so many things that can effect a result. for example its 1-1 after 25 mins, your striker shoots and on one occassion he takes one small extra touch and consequently hits the bar. so instead of scoring to make it 2-1 its still 1-1. from the rebound the oppo take the ball up the other end and score to make it 2-1, bouyant and energised by the goal they go and score another by half time. The second half coems and they score four more because you got the team talk wrong and they are playing with confidence now.

Small things change football matches. and whatever tactics you play there should always be the chance of a suprise result.

Completely agree with this post.

i finished 9th in my first season with hull, definately my most successful first season since FM07/08 and opening day fixture of season 2 i beat man utd 4-0 so i would say its maybe to easy but to hell if i'm going to complain about that. last FM the tactic where over complicated now i think you have found a happy medium

whats the point of running experiments like that it is just trying to pick faults with the game

No it wasn't, I just found it strange cause the tactic I was using was quite good and to loose 7-1 all of a sudden seemed strange to me so I did two other times and got very different results.

But I guess people find it normal.

Ok, can people try and grasp the concept that replaying a game within FM over and over again with the same tactic proves absolutely nothing. What do you have it to compare too exactly? Do Prem games in real life get re-played over and over again?

Couple of weekends ago, Spurs had 20 shots and still managed to lose 1-0 at home to Stoke. Now, if you happened to have a flux capacitor laying around and went back in time, it would probably still be 1-0 to Stoke again - unless you interfered someone how by singing a chant or buying a half time pie when you did neither the first time round. Time travel laws and physics aside, the point is, the smallest thing could quite easily change the end result of the game because you are back at the start of something that is not meant to be restarted.

The game could therefore end up as 5-0 to Spurs, which is a massive contrast to 1-0 to Stoke. And in both games (the original time-line and its off-shot) Stoke started with the same formation.

That's me done...I'm off to skateboard.

Ok, can people try and grasp the concept that replaying a game within FM over and over again with the same tactic proves absolutely nothing. What do you have it to compare too exactly? Do Prem games in real life get re-played over and over again?

Couple of weekends ago, Spurs had 20 shots and still managed to lose 1-0 at home to Stoke. Now, if you happened to have a flux capacitor laying around and went back in time, it would probably still be 1-0 to Stoke again - unless you interfered someone how by singing a chant or buying a half time pie when you did neither the first time round. Time travel laws and physics aside, the point is, the smallest thing could quite easily change the end result of the game because you are back at the start of something that is not meant to be restarted.

The game could therefore end up as 5-0 to Spurs, which is a massive contrast to 1-0 to Stoke. And in both games (the original time-line and its off-shot) Stoke started with the same formation.

That's me done...I'm off to skateboard.

What are time travel laws? As far as I know no one has travelled back in time to establish such laws.

I'm talking about paradox and interference with the time-line and whether the time-line can not be changed because what has happened has happened or whether an off-shot, a parallel dimension where Championship Manager is the better game, is created thanks to interference. Those type of laws. I accept 'laws' wasn't the best word to use in this context.

Bringing it back into topic (sorry), if you go out seeking to prove or disprove a theory, you can quite easily distort your findings by virtue of experiment. Like if you just replay the game and do not attempt to influence the game or you try too hard to influence.

In my current save game I've seen plenty of very true to life football matches. Riding luck, amazing goals, awful performances but still picking up points. I've made massive mistakes and seen my team thrashed (luckily just once) - but its all in my hands and in the hands of the AI and I do not see anything to suggest the original posters accusation is true.

Archived