How many of you ENJOY FM08?

After browsing over the forums for the past couple of days, I've noticed a staggering amount of vociferous complaints, consigning the game to the bin, vowing to never again purchase a Football Manager game. It appears as thought a lot of people have many and wide-ranging complaints about the standard of the game and alleged bugs and fixings.

I must say these caused some degree of shock, as I've not experienced a "major" fault with the game that I believe would warrant such a venomous outpouring of hatred and frustration. I surely can not be alone in this.

So what I am asking you is this: how many of you read the complaints about poor AI; flawed match engine; and nonsensical ratios and are left baffled and wondering 'why? I've never encountered this...'

I do not intend this thread to be the cause of friction amongst members, nor is it intended as a thread to 'gloat' that I am better than you, because I don't encounter these issues, therefore it must be your problem. It is merely intended to see how many are happy with the game, by and large, and perhaps a chance to offer some support to those left tearing out hair over the game.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After browsing over the forums for the past couple of days, I've noticed a staggering amount of vociferous complaints, consigning the game to the bin, vowing to never again purchase a Football Manager game. It appears as thought a lot of people have many and wide-ranging complaints about the standard of the game and alleged bugs and fixings.

I must say these caused some degree of shock, as I've not experienced a "major" fault with the game that I believe would warrant such a venomous outpouring of hatred and frustration. I surely can not be alone in this.

So what I am asking you is this: how many of you read the complaints about poor AI; flawed match engine; and nonsensical ratios and are left baffled and wondering 'why? I've never encountered this...'

I do not intend this thread to be the cause of friction amongst members, nor is it intended as a thread to 'gloat' that I am better than you, because I don't encounter these issues, therefore it must be your problem. It is merely intended to see how many are happy with the game, by and large, and perhaps a chance to offer some support to those left tearing out hair over the game.

To be honest, I have experienced all of the standart bugs in the game, things like Registration in Spain, Near Post Corners etc.

But none of these, even the Player Registration Bug warrents some of the compaints and rants on here. You just need to get on with it as best as you can basically, and that way you soon forget the 'bugs' as you become emmersed in a season.

Having said that, I do not enjoy FM08 as much as previous versions.

These aren't small reasons.

Spain Registration makes Spain unplayable. Spain is one of the Top 3 leagues in the world and to have it unplayable is just appaling.

Board Confidence is a bunch of BS that takes out the enjoyment of the game. You could tie with Barca to pass into the final of the CL and they'll still critisize you for not winning the game.

Finally the match engine is not good. This is the most important feature of the game. (After all if you don't care about this, you'd minus well go on holiday the whole season and only come back during the transfer window). Defenders are crap which is the main reason to the shots to goal ratio if you look at it closely. Bad Defenders > Through balls get too easy > super goalkeepers to prevent 8-0 scores > shots to goal ratio.

It's just destroys the flow of the game. The game isn't that bad if you're a mid table team since you don't have to win anything and can afford getting screwed by the match engine. But for top teams it gets unrealistic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Board Confidence is a bunch of BS that takes out the enjoyment of the game. You could tie with Barca to pass into the final of the CL and they'll still critisize you for not winning the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Much agreed.

I won the league and the CL with Bayern, yet they were still disappointed that I had only got to the semi of the league cup. The confidence side of the game is a whole mess really. Almost embarrassingly so.

I concede the Spanish registration issue is major, and I too have encountered issues with the board/fan confidence module.

However, as I said, I still find the game enjoyable. I tend not to play in La Liga all to often, so I guess I'm lucky there. That's not to excuse or gloss over the bug, but just showing why it wouldn't affect me personally.

My defenders preform pretty well, and since the update to 8.0.1, apart from either: a) mistakes or b) being totally outclassed, I don't concede too many. Granted I know play a more cautious game, but surely if it was a major issue as suggested, it would occur regardless of tactical approach.

Thanks for your input, though. Appreciate it!

I've just found it too hard to have any degree of success with my favoured club (Hull City). I don't have a degree in Tactics, and I don't believe you should need one to be able to get a side of better than average players into a better than average position. Unfortunately, you do.

I've enjoyed FM08 far less than any recent SI product.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bearsy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Board Confidence is a bunch of BS that takes out the enjoyment of the game. You could tie with Barca to pass into the final of the CL and they'll still critisize you for not winning the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Much agreed.

I won the league and the CL with Bayern, yet they were still disappointed that I had only got to the semi of the league cup. The confidence side of the game is a whole mess really. Almost embarrassingly so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This might be an issue, but it does not effect your job as it did before the patch, ive played a total of 40 seasons till now and even though i get the occassional "disappointment" message, nothing really happens, afterall the board is only offering their opinion.

i guess a good solution would be to add an extra sentence so it looks like this "the board are disappointed with the team's performance in the FA cup, BUT understand the fact that QPR were not expected to beat Chelsea in the second round" (something along those lines)

Serpico,

I was in the same boat originally, and while I still do not claim to be a tactical guru - far from it - I found the best advice is to play a more defensive game.

In every other game thus far, I always played aggressively, looking to push forward. In this game, I continued that approach, and game undone. Fast. I then tried something I never thought I would: play cagey, cautious football. It seems to work so far for me!

I mean not to tell you how to play the game, and I see your point about it being more tactically involved. Perhaps, as suggested in another thread, a "prozone" style feature which provides some tactical guidance and a summary of how your team performs would be a helpful addition to the many of us who are not born Capellos, Wengers and Fergies?

I've played 3 proper games of FM08.

Game 1. (played out of the box). I was sacked after 3 seasons for "overachieving".

Game 2. (played out of the box). I was sacked after during my 5th season for getting the club into debt. The debt was a result of the "lower league attendance bug" and I had not spent a single penny on a single player and had always been within my wage budget. If I am within the budgets that the board have given me, and I haven't spent any money at all on players, then how is the debt my fault.

Game 3. (started with 8.01 patch). I'm currently in my 5th season and am now about £500,000 o/d, despite again not spending a single penny on a single player and despite never going over the wage budget that I have been granted. Part of the reason for this debt is that I have lost to 7 "grey" teams in 11 games and as a result have not progressed in the Cups as I would have expected. This has impacted on the finances in terms of both lost prize money and lost attendance income. The board are not happy about the financial position of the club and I am guessing that I will be sacked in about 18 months time if things continue as they are at the moment.

If I am sacked, that will be it for me for FM08. (Who am I kidding? I'll give it another go after the next patch, but I'm not enjoying it as much as I should be).

same as me mate, i played out of the box, invested 4 seasons with ipswich, was having superb fun, players were developing well, i was finishing well in the prem,

and then i wasn't offered a new contract because of the board expectation bug, it's hard to win the championship when you are in the top half of the premiership.

I enjoy the game, have to say I enjoyed the beta patch more than the full patch - though I was unable to find a version to re-download the beta - and hope a second patch will make the current version even better.

One thing that really bugged me though in the original version was the bug which saw ground developments not completed. My team is Scunthorpe so I always start with them, being limited to 9K capacity (even when a further 2K expansion is built into the game, but is never completed) did make it 'unplayable' if you aim was to take a lower league team up the leagues.

I have found a way to enjoy the game, by basically cheating.

I save the game before every match and whenever anything ******** happens I reload it and play the match again. I don't mean I play each game until I win, I accept defeat and often don't win anything some seasons. What I can't accept is when I randomly lose a game 8-0 to a team of greys or to the bottom of the league. Plus it is near impossible to beat **** teams on the game, therefore I cheat in these games if I feel the result was ridiculous. I'm sorry but I can't accept losing 3-0 to bottom of the league when I have had 45 shots on goal.

It's sad I have been reduced to this but this is the only way I can get any enjoyment out of the game.

well for me i am enjoying it, it's as hard as a safebox but if you invest in a fair amount of time tweaking the tactics and buying/loaning the right kind of players, you'll definitely get a good run of decent results, the safebox will be opened eventually. and i do have to inject massive amount of positivities into my veins when things aren't going my way.

of course, there will be another set of safeboxes inside.

currently managing basingstoke town fc in 2017, 5 seasons mid table mediocrity in the enjoyably frustrating coca-cola championship.

something tells me i need to phone the chairman's daughter. he deserves it. enjoy, lads.

Whilst it's as addictive as it's always been it's not quite as much fun.

It's no longer possible to win as easily as it was before, which whilst is more realistic, makes it less fun and I don't have the time to go into the detail required to win.

Most annoyingly for me is the fact I've lost my last 3 saved games. I'm pretty sure this is due to my PC being the electric equivalent of the disease ridden rodent but I just can't be bothered to start again just yet.

Too many areas that have been poorly contrived and implemented having massive at times unpredictable effects on results means this is a game that is hard to enjoy.

Even when your doing well it doesnt feel as if its down to your management skills.

Add that imo the game has failed to evolve sufficiently in terms of not just adding new features, but also in fixing existing issues and you have something that is becoming very, very stale.

Im in 2029, and im not really enjoying it.

First of the grey bug.. it psses me off. losing to a grey turkey team in the CHL, even though i have won the PL 7 years in a row.

The same with my first international job.. its sick with the grey bug.

Second.

despite having the best team in the world i keep losing my games away.. no mather what tactic i use(which i use hours on making) i still cant win when we are supposed to.

Third.

If i find a good player i want i have to pay like 100mio euro to get him, even though he is worth 15mio.

I dont want to do that, so i have a lot of good youngster BUT when they get good (at about 23) ALL of them want a new challenge which ****s my team completely. what am i supposed to do ???

4th. the board confidence is just really no good.

Its ridicouless they get upset just because you lose a semi-final against a good team, and youre playing with youngsters.

NO board says: you have to win everything or we'll get upset.

Id doesnt take into account what kind of team youre meeting.

Ived been rather succesfull in my game, but im not enjoying this half as much as FM07 fully patched.

Its mostly because of what i have written but there are alot of other small things that makes me annoyed..

I've experienced some of the bugs in the game, most notably has been the much maligned match engine but i've found that all you have to do still is make a tactic that beats the AI, no different to if the match engine worked properly.

Therefore i am enjoying this version more than any previous version there has been.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T-Bag:

I have found a way to enjoy the game, by basically cheating.

I save the game before every match and whenever anything ******** happens I reload it and play the match again. I don't mean I play each game until I win, I accept defeat and often don't win anything some seasons. What I can't accept is when I randomly lose a game 8-0 to a team of greys or to the bottom of the league. Plus it is near impossible to beat **** teams on the game, therefore I cheat in these games if I feel the result was ridiculous. I'm sorry but I can't accept losing 3-0 to bottom of the league when I have had 45 shots on goal.

It's sad I have been reduced to this but this is the only way I can get any enjoyment out of the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

same as me m8 icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bridport_james:

To be honest, I have experienced all of the standart bugs in the game, things like Registration in Spain, Near Post Corners etc.

But none of these, even the Player Registration Bug warrents some of the compaints and rants on here. You just need to get on with it as best as you can basically, and that way you soon forget the 'bugs' as you become emmersed in a season.

Having said that, I do not enjoy FM08 as much as previous versions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My thoughts also. Had all the problems bemoaned about on the forums and despite loathing the default skin with a passion i am happy with my current saved game. Finally found a skin i like, (Turnstyle 08) by no means a classic version of CM/FM, but not as bad as ranted about

Found the game very diificult pre and post patch.

However I've stuck with it try new tactics, different player instructions etc and am now becoming more successful. The game is very difficult at first,but I feel too many forum users are too quick to complain and don't spend(or maybe have) enough time learning how to play.

It is the most advanced and thus harder to gain the kind of instant success that you could get with every CM/FM version before.

Some of the bugs are a bit annoying though. The Spain registration bug is nothing short of a disgrace, the match engine is woeful(though I don't think any of the previous ones were great either) and the board/fan confidence feature needs much improvement.

Enjoying the game over-all. I have a Kettering game, an Inter game and a EPL clan game on the go at the momment, the variety helps keep my interest.

I don't enjoy FM/WSM 2008 as much as past versions of the game because I am not winning as much. When I first bought the game I played as Watford using the the same tacits as I did on FM 07 and I did well getting Watford promoted in my first season. Since,then I've failed with games as Preston, Betis,Charleroi and as Crystal Palace.

Guest JM12345678910

Absolutely hate it. I've never had a bad word to say about Championship Manager or Football Manager since I played the first ever version on the Amiga in the early 1990's. SI have produced the best football management games by far for years, but the bugs that have slipped through the net for FM 2008 ruin it for me. The latest patched version is not enjoyable at all and I find myself getting angry at my payers far too often, unfortunately getting angry at your players is a waste of time. As has already been said the team talks are useless and have not been improved since the last version. I have tried a hundred different tactics and I can't find a successful one, even if I have a squad of players which would hold it's own two divisions higher. Granted I haven't been to the tactics forum, but the point for me is trying to find your own tactic that works. The fact that 4-4-2, the most used formation in professional football, is near impossible to use in the game is farcical. The number of red cards, disallowed goals and penalties per game is annoying to say the least. I don't post often and probably won't post again for a while, I just felt like a rant! I don't want to win the Champions League in my first season, or get to the Premier League from the Blue Square Premier in successive seasons. I just want to play the game and feel like I'm actually having some control over what my team do, because at the moment and to a certain extent in FM '07 that is far from the case. I cannot play the game anymore because it is annoying me so much. Losing is not a problem if it's because I'm a crap manager. Fighting a losing battle is.

Not loving it, having a completely miserable time, can't stop going back to it.

Games are a lot more fun when you're winning at them, and it tells you you're awesome.

Something has just changed completely about this game, and it just seems impossible to get any success out of it.

The game really needs a difficulty setting. Simulation - "I'm a Premiership manager" mode, and "If I could get a top ranking management job I wouldn't be playing this game" mode.

These forums also need a preview button and a edit button.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serpico:

I've just found it too hard to have any degree of success with my favoured club (Hull City). I don't have a degree in Tactics, and I don't believe you should need one to be able to get a side of better than average players into a better than average position. Unfortunately, you do.

I've enjoyed FM08 far less than any recent SI product. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I pretty much agree although I am enjoying FM08 now but believe tactics are still difficult to understand at times when things are going wrong. T&TT forum is dead with discussions about tactics, perhaps a symptom of the difficulty many players are having understanding tactics and the match engine?

I firmly believe SI need to give us better match analysis tools or else they're at risk of making the game too complicated and convoluted for gamers to enjoy.

I prefer FM 07 fully patched. FM 08 is definitely not a complete product both unpatched and patched. This is the first time I've been disappointed by SI. I agree that tweaking tactics get round the match engine, but it should not have to be this way. I mean, shouldn't tactics be how you want your team to play and not simply to beat the match engine?

For eg. 07 allowed moderation of tactics such that if you wanted a narrow width and play down the middle, you can and still pull off results with the right players and instructions. Not so for 08. In 08, I find that if i play through the middle and not use wingers, my strikers just cannot score off one on ones as often as say from crosses. I personally prefer to have one touch football and play my striker through but in 08 this is impossible if I want to win.

There are other bugs but not so detrimental as the problems in the match engine for now. I find the match engine to be a big let down and hopefully, by the 2nd patch everything will be resolved.

Also, happy new year guys!

The most frustrating thing for me about 08 is that the demo and release match engine (apart from the closing down and defensive issues, and possibly the players walking rather than running) was so close to being on the money, as it has irradicated the annoying issues from FM07, played in this players opinion a much better game of football and I for one was really excited by it.

Now post-patch its gone so far in the wrong direction its not true- even FM07 issues like the way players so willingly concede corners by heading behind are back in, alongside the known issues.

I so hope they can get it back to pre-patch levels but with the issues and defending fixed. Also with the finishing back to pre-patch levels as the sheer range of finishes and the way players finished with power and aplomb was superb. Post-patch the shooting ball physics are awful (in particular power of shot, jeez Im 35 and stopped playing a coupla yrs ago but even I can drill an Aero with venom- so why cant the pros in FM08?!) and back to FM07.

Then imo we will have a superb match engine. That for me would make up for the lack of new features and the existing features that have not improved measurably.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">08 is that the demo and release match engine was so close to being on the money </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree entirely - I hated the demo/release match engine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saumyajit:

Agree with Ackter. The release match engine was the worst. The closing down bug almost made the 2d display unwatchable. 8.01, though not perfect is much much better </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Duh, read my post, digest it then see that I said: "(apart from the closing down and defensive issues)".

Archived