Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How many of you ENJOY FM08?

Amateur

After browsing over the forums for the past couple of days, I've noticed a staggering amount of vociferous complaints, consigning the game to the bin, vowing to never again purchase a Football Manager game. It appears as thought a lot of people have many and wide-ranging complaints about the standard of the game and alleged bugs and fixings.

I must say these caused some degree of shock, as I've not experienced a "major" fault with the game that I believe would warrant such a venomous outpouring of hatred and frustration. I surely can not be alone in this.

So what I am asking you is this: how many of you read the complaints about poor AI; flawed match engine; and nonsensical ratios and are left baffled and wondering 'why? I've never encountered this...'

I do not intend this thread to be the cause of friction amongst members, nor is it intended as a thread to 'gloat' that I am better than you, because I don't encounter these issues, therefore it must be your problem. It is merely intended to see how many are happy with the game, by and large, and perhaps a chance to offer some support to those left tearing out hair over the game.

Amateur

After browsing over the forums for the past couple of days, I've noticed a staggering amount of vociferous complaints, consigning the game to the bin, vowing to never again purchase a Football Manager game. It appears as thought a lot of people have many and wide-ranging complaints about the standard of the game and alleged bugs and fixings.

I must say these caused some degree of shock, as I've not experienced a "major" fault with the game that I believe would warrant such a venomous outpouring of hatred and frustration. I surely can not be alone in this.

So what I am asking you is this: how many of you read the complaints about poor AI; flawed match engine; and nonsensical ratios and are left baffled and wondering 'why? I've never encountered this...'

I do not intend this thread to be the cause of friction amongst members, nor is it intended as a thread to 'gloat' that I am better than you, because I don't encounter these issues, therefore it must be your problem. It is merely intended to see how many are happy with the game, by and large, and perhaps a chance to offer some support to those left tearing out hair over the game.

First Team Squad Member

To be honest, I have experienced all of the standart bugs in the game, things like Registration in Spain, Near Post Corners etc.

But none of these, even the Player Registration Bug warrents some of the compaints and rants on here. You just need to get on with it as best as you can basically, and that way you soon forget the 'bugs' as you become emmersed in a season.

Having said that, I do not enjoy FM08 as much as previous versions.

Amateur

im loving it...currently in 2024 after successful stints with Heracles, Roma and now the Italian national team

bottom line - its great
    second bottom line - people moan too much for the smallest reasons

Semi Pro

Loving it, cant see why people keep knocking it!

Amateur
    You are my Rushden, My only Rushden, You make me happy, When skies are grey, You\'ll never notice, How much i love you, So please do\'t take my Rushden away. GO RUSHDEN.

love the game, bugs are annoying but the game is still brilliant and totally playable.

Amateur

These aren't small reasons.

Spain Registration makes Spain unplayable. Spain is one of the Top 3 leagues in the world and to have it unplayable is just appaling.

Board Confidence is a bunch of BS that takes out the enjoyment of the game. You could tie with Barca to pass into the final of the CL and they'll still critisize you for not winning the game.

Finally the match engine is not good. This is the most important feature of the game. (After all if you don't care about this, you'd minus well go on holiday the whole season and only come back during the transfer window). Defenders are crap which is the main reason to the shots to goal ratio if you look at it closely. Bad Defenders > Through balls get too easy > super goalkeepers to prevent 8-0 scores > shots to goal ratio.

It's just destroys the flow of the game. The game isn't that bad if you're a mid table team since you don't have to win anything and can afford getting screwed by the match engine. But for top teams it gets unrealistic.

Amateur

Love it, can't stop playing it.

Amateur

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Board Confidence is a bunch of BS that takes out the enjoyment of the game. You could tie with Barca to pass into the final of the CL and they'll still critisize you for not winning the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Much agreed.

I won the league and the CL with Bayern, yet they were still disappointed that I had only got to the semi of the league cup. The confidence side of the game is a whole mess really. Almost embarrassingly so.

Amateur

I concede the Spanish registration issue is major, and I too have encountered issues with the board/fan confidence module.

However, as I said, I still find the game enjoyable. I tend not to play in La Liga all to often, so I guess I'm lucky there. That's not to excuse or gloss over the bug, but just showing why it wouldn't affect me personally.

My defenders preform pretty well, and since the update to 8.0.1, apart from either: a) mistakes or b) being totally outclassed, I don't concede too many. Granted I know play a more cautious game, but surely if it was a major issue as suggested, it would occur regardless of tactical approach.

Thanks for your input, though. Appreciate it!

I've just found it too hard to have any degree of success with my favoured club (Hull City). I don't have a degree in Tactics, and I don't believe you should need one to be able to get a side of better than average players into a better than average position. Unfortunately, you do.

I've enjoyed FM08 far less than any recent SI product.

Amateur

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bearsy:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Board Confidence is a bunch of BS that takes out the enjoyment of the game. You could tie with Barca to pass into the final of the CL and they'll still critisize you for not winning the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Much agreed.

I won the league and the CL with Bayern, yet they were still disappointed that I had only got to the semi of the league cup. The confidence side of the game is a whole mess really. Almost embarrassingly so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This might be an issue, but it does not effect your job as it did before the patch, ive played a total of 40 seasons till now and even though i get the occassional "disappointment" message, nothing really happens, afterall the board is only offering their opinion.

i guess a good solution would be to add an extra sentence so it looks like this "the board are disappointed with the team's performance in the FA cup, BUT understand the fact that QPR were not expected to beat Chelsea in the second round" (something along those lines)

Amateur

I love the game, i've had a few problems but its a good game

Amateur

i like it, but i have not enjoyed it as much as previous versions hence i'm not playing it as much and have actually stopped for the time being

Amateur

Serpico,

I was in the same boat originally, and while I still do not claim to be a tactical guru - far from it - I found the best advice is to play a more defensive game.

In every other game thus far, I always played aggressively, looking to push forward. In this game, I continued that approach, and game undone. Fast. I then tried something I never thought I would: play cagey, cautious football. It seems to work so far for me!

I mean not to tell you how to play the game, and I see your point about it being more tactically involved. Perhaps, as suggested in another thread, a "prozone" style feature which provides some tactical guidance and a summary of how your team performs would be a helpful addition to the many of us who are not born Capellos, Wengers and Fergies?

Semi Pro

I've played 3 proper games of FM08.

Game 1. (played out of the box). I was sacked after 3 seasons for "overachieving".

Game 2. (played out of the box). I was sacked after during my 5th season for getting the club into debt. The debt was a result of the "lower league attendance bug" and I had not spent a single penny on a single player and had always been within my wage budget. If I am within the budgets that the board have given me, and I haven't spent any money at all on players, then how is the debt my fault.

Game 3. (started with 8.01 patch). I'm currently in my 5th season and am now about £500,000 o/d, despite again not spending a single penny on a single player and despite never going over the wage budget that I have been granted. Part of the reason for this debt is that I have lost to 7 "grey" teams in 11 games and as a result have not progressed in the Cups as I would have expected. This has impacted on the finances in terms of both lost prize money and lost attendance income. The board are not happy about the financial position of the club and I am guessing that I will be sacked in about 18 months time if things continue as they are at the moment.

If I am sacked, that will be it for me for FM08. (Who am I kidding? I'll give it another go after the next patch, but I'm not enjoying it as much as I should be).

Amateur

same as me mate, i played out of the box, invested 4 seasons with ipswich, was having superb fun, players were developing well, i was finishing well in the prem,
    and then i wasn't offered a new contract because of the board expectation bug, it's hard to win the championship when you are in the top half of the premiership.

Amateur

I enjoy the game, have to say I enjoyed the beta patch more than the full patch - though I was unable to find a version to re-download the beta - and hope a second patch will make the current version even better.

One thing that really bugged me though in the original version was the bug which saw ground developments not completed. My team is Scunthorpe so I always start with them, being limited to 9K capacity (even when a further 2K expansion is built into the game, but is never completed) did make it 'unplayable' if you aim was to take a lower league team up the leagues.

Semi Pro

I have found a way to enjoy the game, by basically cheating.

I save the game before every match and whenever anything ******** happens I reload it and play the match again. I don't mean I play each game until I win, I accept defeat and often don't win anything some seasons. What I can't accept is when I randomly lose a game 8-0 to a team of greys or to the bottom of the league. Plus it is near impossible to beat **** teams on the game, therefore I cheat in these games if I feel the result was ridiculous. I'm sorry but I can't accept losing 3-0 to bottom of the league when I have had 45 shots on goal.

It's sad I have been reduced to this but this is the only way I can get any enjoyment out of the game.

Guess you only get one chance in life to play a song that goes like this.

Don't enjoy it at the moment, will give it another spin with a new patch.

Luckily I'm in FML and am enjoying that much, much more.

Semi Pro

I don't really post in here much anymore just have a look now and then, first time I couldn't get into FM, I think FM07 took it out of me, I started to collect all the FMs but got rid of 08, still play 07 now and then but sort of lost interest now.

Wont stop me from trying 09 though

Amateur

well for me i am enjoying it, it's as hard as a safebox but if you invest in a fair amount of time tweaking the tactics and buying/loaning the right kind of players, you'll definitely get a good run of decent results, the safebox will be opened eventually. and i do have to inject massive amount of positivities into my veins when things aren't going my way.

of course, there will be another set of safeboxes inside.

currently managing basingstoke town fc in 2017, 5 seasons mid table mediocrity in the enjoyably frustrating coca-cola championship.

something tells me i need to phone the chairman's daughter. he deserves it. enjoy, lads.

Amateur

Whilst it's as addictive as it's always been it's not quite as much fun.

It's no longer possible to win as easily as it was before, which whilst is more realistic, makes it less fun and I don't have the time to go into the detail required to win.

Most annoyingly for me is the fact I've lost my last 3 saved games. I'm pretty sure this is due to my PC being the electric equivalent of the disease ridden rodent but I just can't be bothered to start again just yet.

Amateur

Absolutely love the game, get tonnes of enjoyment out of it.

Amateur

I'm enjoying it immensely! Just started my fourth season with the mighty Weston-s-Mare. Got them into the blue square premier league in the second season and will keep on going like the duracell bunny!

Semi Pro

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by htfc_ttid@yahoo.co.uk:
    Absolutely love the game, get tonnes of enjoyment out of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    What the mailadress said.

Youth Team
    Wembley, Block 133, Row 23, Seat 296 - COME ON YOUR SPURRRRS!!!!

Too many areas that have been poorly contrived and implemented having massive at times unpredictable effects on results means this is a game that is hard to enjoy.

Even when your doing well it doesnt feel as if its down to your management skills.

Add that imo the game has failed to evolve sufficiently in terms of not just adding new features, but also in fixing existing issues and you have something that is becoming very, very stale.

Part-Timer

Im in 2029, and im not really enjoying it.

First of the grey bug.. it psses me off. losing to a grey turkey team in the CHL, even though i have won the PL 7 years in a row.
    The same with my first international job.. its sick with the grey bug.

Second.
    despite having the best team in the world i keep losing my games away.. no mather what tactic i use(which i use hours on making) i still cant win when we are supposed to.

Third.
    If i find a good player i want i have to pay like 100mio euro to get him, even though he is worth 15mio.
    I dont want to do that, so i have a lot of good youngster BUT when they get good (at about 23) ALL of them want a new challenge which ****s my team completely. what am i supposed to do ???

4th. the board confidence is just really no good.
    Its ridicouless they get upset just because you lose a semi-final against a good team, and youre playing with youngsters.
    NO board says: you have to win everything or we'll get upset.
    Id doesnt take into account what kind of team youre meeting.

Ived been rather succesfull in my game, but im not enjoying this half as much as FM07 fully patched.
    Its mostly because of what i have written but there are alot of other small things that makes me annoyed..

Amateur

I've experienced some of the bugs in the game, most notably has been the much maligned match engine but i've found that all you have to do still is make a tactic that beats the AI, no different to if the match engine worked properly.

Therefore i am enjoying this version more than any previous version there has been.

Amateur

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T-Bag:
    I have found a way to enjoy the game, by basically cheating.

I save the game before every match and whenever anything ******** happens I reload it and play the match again. I don't mean I play each game until I win, I accept defeat and often don't win anything some seasons. What I can't accept is when I randomly lose a game 8-0 to a team of greys or to the bottom of the league. Plus it is near impossible to beat **** teams on the game, therefore I cheat in these games if I feel the result was ridiculous. I'm sorry but I can't accept losing 3-0 to bottom of the league when I have had 45 shots on goal.

It's sad I have been reduced to this but this is the only way I can get any enjoyment out of the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

same as me m8

Amateur

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bridport_james:
    To be honest, I have experienced all of the standart bugs in the game, things like Registration in Spain, Near Post Corners etc.

But none of these, even the Player Registration Bug warrents some of the compaints and rants on here. You just need to get on with it as best as you can basically, and that way you soon forget the 'bugs' as you become emmersed in a season.

Having said that, I do not enjoy FM08 as much as previous versions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    My thoughts also. Had all the problems bemoaned about on the forums and despite loathing the default skin with a passion i am happy with my current saved game. Finally found a skin i like, (Turnstyle 08) by no means a classic version of CM/FM, but not as bad as ranted about

Third Team

Not gonna lie, I love it. It's eaten up a ridiculous amount of my time, but totally worth it.

Semi Pro

I just ordered FM 2006 so I can feel what winning is like again

Part-timer
    Philadelphia, PA, USA, North America, Planet Earth

Found the game very diificult pre and post patch.

However I've stuck with it try new tactics, different player instructions etc and am now becoming more successful. The game is very difficult at first,but I feel too many forum users are too quick to complain and don't spend(or maybe have) enough time learning how to play.

It is the most advanced and thus harder to gain the kind of instant success that you could get with every CM/FM version before.

Some of the bugs are a bit annoying though. The Spain registration bug is nothing short of a disgrace, the match engine is woeful(though I don't think any of the previous ones were great either) and the board/fan confidence feature needs much improvement.

Enjoying the game over-all. I have a Kettering game, an Inter game and a EPL clan game on the go at the momment, the variety helps keep my interest.

Amateur

I don't enjoy FM/WSM 2008 as much as past versions of the game because I am not winning as much. When I first bought the game I played as Watford using the the same tacits as I did on FM 07 and I did well getting Watford promoted in my first season. Since,then I've failed with games as Preston, Betis,Charleroi and as Crystal Palace.

Amateur

Loving it.

I'm in agreement with the guys above, can see a couple of bugs, but nothing that rends it unplayable and certainly nothing worth some of the rants and trolling that's occurred in recent weeks.

JM12345678910

Absolutely hate it. I've never had a bad word to say about Championship Manager or Football Manager since I played the first ever version on the Amiga in the early 1990's. SI have produced the best football management games by far for years, but the bugs that have slipped through the net for FM 2008 ruin it for me. The latest patched version is not enjoyable at all and I find myself getting angry at my payers far too often, unfortunately getting angry at your players is a waste of time. As has already been said the team talks are useless and have not been improved since the last version. I have tried a hundred different tactics and I can't find a successful one, even if I have a squad of players which would hold it's own two divisions higher. Granted I haven't been to the tactics forum, but the point for me is trying to find your own tactic that works. The fact that 4-4-2, the most used formation in professional football, is near impossible to use in the game is farcical. The number of red cards, disallowed goals and penalties per game is annoying to say the least. I don't post often and probably won't post again for a while, I just felt like a rant! I don't want to win the Champions League in my first season, or get to the Premier League from the Blue Square Premier in successive seasons. I just want to play the game and feel like I'm actually having some control over what my team do, because at the moment and to a certain extent in FM '07 that is far from the case. I cannot play the game anymore because it is annoying me so much. Losing is not a problem if it's because I'm a crap manager. Fighting a losing battle is.

Semi Pro

Hm I downlaoded a tactic from the tactics forum, Croat, and suddenly I win all my games. Apparently it is possible to win a lot.

It looks like people don't like FM because those who like it don't post new threads constantly declaring their feelings for FM.

Amateur

Not loving it, having a completely miserable time, can't stop going back to it.

Games are a lot more fun when you're winning at them, and it tells you you're awesome.

Something has just changed completely about this game, and it just seems impossible to get any success out of it.

The game really needs a difficulty setting. Simulation - "I'm a Premiership manager" mode, and "If I could get a top ranking management job I wouldn't be playing this game" mode.

These forums also need a preview button and a edit button.

Amateur

I enjoy it

Amateur
    Channon...nice touch there...oh look at this, Bobby Stokes...HIT WELL...

Don't play it.

Its a slow, clunky mess for me for some reason. One click and im waiting for 5+ seconds. $90 down the drain for me.

Amateur

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serpico:
    I've just found it too hard to have any degree of success with my favoured club (Hull City). I don't have a degree in Tactics, and I don't believe you should need one to be able to get a side of better than average players into a better than average position. Unfortunately, you do.

I've enjoyed FM08 far less than any recent SI product. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I pretty much agree although I am enjoying FM08 now but believe tactics are still difficult to understand at times when things are going wrong. T&TT forum is dead with discussions about tactics, perhaps a symptom of the difficulty many players are having understanding tactics and the match engine?

I firmly believe SI need to give us better match analysis tools or else they're at risk of making the game too complicated and convoluted for gamers to enjoy.

Amateur

Is there ANY game where you do not get "bugs"?

I think people should get off SI's backs as the game is totally brilliant & at least they try to sort these things out

Too many whingers & perfect people!!!!!

KUTGW

Amateur

I prefer FM 07 fully patched. FM 08 is definitely not a complete product both unpatched and patched. This is the first time I've been disappointed by SI. I agree that tweaking tactics get round the match engine, but it should not have to be this way. I mean, shouldn't tactics be how you want your team to play and not simply to beat the match engine?

For eg. 07 allowed moderation of tactics such that if you wanted a narrow width and play down the middle, you can and still pull off results with the right players and instructions. Not so for 08. In 08, I find that if i play through the middle and not use wingers, my strikers just cannot score off one on ones as often as say from crosses. I personally prefer to have one touch football and play my striker through but in 08 this is impossible if I want to win.

There are other bugs but not so detrimental as the problems in the match engine for now. I find the match engine to be a big let down and hopefully, by the 2nd patch everything will be resolved.

Also, happy new year guys!

Youth Team

The most frustrating thing for me about 08 is that the demo and release match engine (apart from the closing down and defensive issues, and possibly the players walking rather than running) was so close to being on the money, as it has irradicated the annoying issues from FM07, played in this players opinion a much better game of football and I for one was really excited by it.

Now post-patch its gone so far in the wrong direction its not true- even FM07 issues like the way players so willingly concede corners by heading behind are back in, alongside the known issues.

I so hope they can get it back to pre-patch levels but with the issues and defending fixed. Also with the finishing back to pre-patch levels as the sheer range of finishes and the way players finished with power and aplomb was superb. Post-patch the shooting ball physics are awful (in particular power of shot, jeez Im 35 and stopped playing a coupla yrs ago but even I can drill an Aero with venom- so why cant the pros in FM08?!) and back to FM07.

Then imo we will have a superb match engine. That for me would make up for the lack of new features and the existing features that have not improved measurably.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">08 is that the demo and release match engine was so close to being on the money </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree entirely - I hated the demo/release match engine.

Amateur

Agree with Ackter. The release match engine was the worst. The closing down bug almost made the 2d display unwatchable. 8.01, though not perfect is much much better

Amateur

loving the game and not complaining about anything. just hoping that each version comes out better. the game is challenging n compared to fifa manager which is much more tedious to play, there's nothin like football manager.

Youth Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saumyajit:
    Agree with Ackter. The release match engine was the worst. The closing down bug almost made the 2d display unwatchable. 8.01, though not perfect is much much better </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Duh, read my post, digest it then see that I said: "(apart from the closing down and defensive issues)".

Youth Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ackter:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">08 is that the demo and release match engine was so close to being on the money </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree entirely - I hated the demo/release match engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apart from the closing down, defensive side and player pace (which I acknowledged as awful), what else did you specifically not like about the initial release?

Youth Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ackter:

I disagree entirely - I hated the demo/release match engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apart from the closing down, defensive side and player pace (which I acknowledged as awful), what else did you specifically not like about the initial release?

Semi Pro

I'll be honest and say I don't think the game is in the same league as FM07. I find many of the matches to be somewhat unrealistic in terms of numbers of shots and goals, plus it feels to me as if the number of likely situations seems diluted.

I'm enjoying it but I don't find myself playing it like I did FM07.

I can't help but think they have taken away the match engine and all the standard features from FM07 and replaced them with new versions. They should have kept the FM07 versions. They may not have done that but that is how it feels to me; I mean FM07s match engine was the biz and the realism was so good. It's all diluted now.

Having said all that I like the features that have been added and I think the game will be seriously polished by FM09. I also don't find the difficulty to be too much. I find it about right but I enjoy a more challenging game. You don't need to be a tactical genius to do well in the game though; I'm not.

I'll carry on playing because I will always enjoy FM. I do sit and think there could be more realism however.

Amateur

I love it.

Taking a terrible Catania side from bottom of the league at Christmas to fourth bottom on the last day, in the last 20 minutes of a match.

It's what FM's all about.

Amateur

This game has some flaws but I really do enjoyed. My love for FM is that big. I always compared it with girlfriends - They do never come perfect, there's always a flaw and it takes a while before finding that out *LOL*

Part-Timer

I have good runs and bad runs and thise makes the game very annoying.

I rarely have a season where I don't blast into the top two then collapse in November.

And the 4-2-4 issue is insane.

No matter who you are and who you are playing, as soon as they go to 4-2-4, you have to desperately change your own formation and cross your fingers and hope for the best.

And opposition managers always, without fail, go to 4-2-4 if they are losing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Graham:

Apart from the closing down, defensive side and player pace (which I acknowledged as awful), what else did you specifically not like about the initial release? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So apart from 60% of the match engine, what else did I specifically not like?

Set pieces - absolutely horrible.

Youth Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Graham:

Apart from the closing down, defensive side and player pace (which I acknowledged as awful), what else did you specifically not like about the initial release? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So apart from 60% of the match engine, what else did I specifically not like?

Set pieces - absolutely horrible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This'll make you laugh even more- I thought the setpieces were much improved!

Id actually thought they'd got worse from the initial version to 8.01.

Thats perception for you- may have to go back to the initial one and see what I think now.

Amateur

I am enjoying my current game with Plymouth, but I'm not sure how long that'll last:P. However there are some issues that I am not too fond of such as the Confidence feature making it seem like you are doing a bad job when you are actually not and certain issues with the match engine. I also feel that the whole game doesn't flow as much as orevious versions.
    Despite this though I am enjoying it, but not as much as previous versions.

Youth Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimmyt:
    I have good runs and bad runs and thise makes the game very annoying.

I rarely have a season where I don't blast into the top two then collapse in November.

And the 4-2-4 issue is insane.

No matter who you are and who you are playing, as soon as they go to 4-2-4, you have to desperately change your own formation and cross your fingers and hope for the best.

And opposition managers always, without fail, go to 4-2-4 if they are losing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For all my issues with the ME this isnt one of them.

The 424 situation is easily managable and realistic- Ive even seen teams chuck DCs up top in search of a desperate last minute goal.

Its such a non-issue that by exploiting the space on the wings with a counter-attack will more often than not reap dividends in a goal (or two) for you.

Semi Pro

It's really weird how differently we all see the match engine.

I for example never really noticed the closing down thing defensively, (and have only recentky noticed that it's impossible to press high up the putch and close down the opposition in their third of the pitch.

I haven';t ever really noticed a 1v1 bug.

I haven't noticed a problem with penalties.

I think that free-kicks and corners in FM08 are significantly better than FM07.

I suppose we all have little areas that we concentrate on in real football, and that's what we look for in the match engine.

Part-Timer

I've seen many a centre back thrown up front, and sometimes It's worked.

but my issue with 4-2-4 is that it's a standard 'go to' tactic for the opposition which always demands you need to change.

I've tried all the counter-atacking options, but for some reason my players also stop being able to play at the same time.

When I'm outnumbering them in midfield I should get more posession, but my defenders can't pick out a man anymore and suddenly refuse to tackle!

What is most irritating with 4-2-4 though is that when the AI does it, they get chance after chance, when I do it, the game whizzes through with nothing happening.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This'll make you laugh even more- I thought the setpieces were much improved!

Id actually thought they'd got worse from the initial version to 8.01.

Thats perception for you- may have to go back to the initial one and see what I think now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The set pieces were definitly improved over FM07, and they have got a lot worse since 8.0.1, but neither were acceptable to me.

Semi Pro

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but my issue with 4-2-4 is that it's a standard 'go to' tactic for the opposition which always demands you need to change. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't change tactics and I have just gone a whole league season unbeaten.

I play quite a defensive way at the start though.

424 is just a 442 with the wingers pushing right up. It's not even close to being as unrealistic as everyone seems to think.

It's simply the manager pushing his players forward in order to win.

Semi Pro

424 is just a 442 with the wingers pushing right up. It's not even close to being as unrealistic as everyone seems to think.

It's simply the manager pushing his players forward in order to win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spot on .

Amateur
    Lost in world of numbers, spreadsheets, statistics and percentages !

I find swapping to a back five (ie with a sweeper), lowest setting normal defensivie line and direct passing counter the 424 really well. So far I have only conceded 3 times to this formation in 1.5 seasons but have scored 14 times against it.
    I usualy take off my DMC and bring on the CB substitute I have (if not already used).

The best way to defend the 424 in my experience is to attack it down the flanks.

Amateur

I like it, but it's by far the least enjoyable of the last 3 versions.

The finishing bug is absurd. I understand the match engine creates too many chances. I understand that if SI hadn't nerfed strikers/granted superhuman powers to keepers (AI and human), then scores would be like 8 to 3.

It's still awful to watch. Essentially, to preserve realism in the scorelines, they decimated an important part of the match engine to cover up another flaw in the engine. That's really not ok, especially when this part of the FM07 match engine was fine.

I'm probably about to return to FM07 until this is fixed. And I hate doing that, because FM08 does add some pretty nifty little features.

*I also note more text bugs than in previous versions. Doesn't really detract too much - but really, hoe much effort does it take to edit your work?

Amateur

...and yes, I recognize the irony of making a typo in a sentence complaining about editing .

Part-Timer

I went back to FM07.

Amateur

^^ same. It's a lot better if you don't particularly care to lose 2-3 new cosmetic features

Amateur

Not as much as FM07. Maybe it's the slower computer I'm running it on, but something doesn't feel right with FM08. The "new features" seem somewhat shoved in for the sake of being there, adding little to the overall experience.

Amateur

I love this game....I do think that there are some bougs but nothing that makes the game unplayable.....

GREAT WORK SI!

Part-Timer

Yep currently enjoying FM 08 and FMH 08

Some people think I'm Bonkers, I just think I'm free!!!! :D

I am really enjoying playing FM08. I think the match engine has gotten better and am seeing my tactics implemented a lot better than 07. I always play with my teams playing down the wings and I am actually seeing all my attacks coming from the wings and firing in crosses and my wingers dribbling alot.

A few niggles here and there but am very happy.

Reserves

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

It's simply the manager pushing his players forward in order to win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spot on . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't agree more with this. 4-2-4 has never bothered me in the slightest. It's actually pretty counterable anyway.

I've bitched and moaned about the many bugs and glitches in the game, and I still maintain that some of them are bordering on the absolutely unacceptable, but the fact remains that I keep playing the game, and I keep enjoying it.

I agree 100%. But irl this is a **** or bust attempt from the losing team's manager to grab a point from the jaws of defeat, and often the result is that the side leading expose the 4-2-4 sides defence and score more goals. That hardly ever happens in FM08. If it did I'm sure we'd have no complaints.

Amateur

Uhm it's odd, I hardly ever loose against grey teams or bottom feeders, it's hardly ever close. Sometiems upsets happens, but then again.. nothing is impossible. My defense isn't aweful and far from it. Perhaps it's my tactics? or whatever.

it doesn't cost me 100M$ for a guy who is worht 15M$, sure they cost more then there actual value, but hey, when I happen to sell a star I never sell him under half the actual value either.

For teh board part, yeah, it could need some improvements, but you have to keep in mind that it's the first version it's introduced, so it's not as tweaked as if it had always been in the game. So far, I've spent 6 seasons with the same club and even though I haven't reached always all the expectatiosn of the club, it,s not enough for them to sack me as overall I do a good job.

I have a great time playing and I must say, even if it's not flawless, each versions of FM are always better then the previous one and I wouldn,t consider going back to FM '07.

Reserves

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serpico:

I agree 100%. But irl this is a **** or bust attempt from the losing team's manager to grab a point from the jaws of defeat, and often the result is that the side leading expose the 4-2-4 sides defence and score more goals. That hardly ever happens in FM08. If it did I'm sure we'd have no complaints. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not looking to be deliberately argumentative here, but I often score late goals after the opposition has gone to 4-2-4. I usually take a defensive approach with my eye on holding out for the win, and end up scoring one or even two more goals while they go all out for their equaliser.

Amateur

My enjoyment right now is at about 75%.

And the missing quarter is due to having to dodge all the leagues with registration, just to be safe from the possibility of any registration bugs.

Reserves

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Stinson:
    My enjoyment right now is at about 75%.

And the missing quarter is due to having to dodge all the leagues with registration, just to be safe from the possibility of any registration bugs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The registration bug is so bad that I think it warrants an emergency patch fixing just that. Though I'm sure that would just open the floodgates of requests for more fixes. Still, it really is an appalling bug. Makes vast swathes of the game unplayable.

I agree 100%. But irl this is a **** or bust attempt from the losing team's manager to grab a point from the jaws of defeat, and often the result is that the side leading expose the 4-2-4 sides defence and score more goals. That hardly ever happens in FM08. If it did I'm sure we'd have no complaints. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Happened a hell of a lot for me when I was playing it.

The registration bug is avoidable if you just pay attention to the news letters at the end of the window.

Reserves

The registration bug is avoidable if you just pay attention to the news letters at the end of the window. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But those who are unaware of the bug will obviously not know this. Not paying close attention to newsletters is just about forgivable. But the bug is not.

the worst game of all time, the players graphics take up half the screen

Reserves

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pangalaticgargleblaster:
    the worst game of all time, the players graphics take up half the screen </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Players graphics? Do you mean the photographs of their faces? If so, you could just turn that off.

A quick look through Pan's recent posts will show that:

a) its never worth replying to him

and

b) he's incredibly predictable

Reserves

A lesson learned.

Oh, and I'm not saying the bug is forgivable - just putting forward that maybe the reason SI haven't rushed into a patch just to fix it is because it's avoidable.

Why risk breaking something else to rush into a fix for something which, while highly annoying, can be avoided?

worst game since fifa 06 for the sega, especially the unstoppable last kick of the game goals that only the opposition every score

Amateur

Love the game; mind you, I've only ever played FM08

Reserves

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pangalaticgargleblaster:
    worst game since fifa 06 for the sega, especially the unstoppable last kick of the game goals that only the opposition every score </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Utter, utter tripe. And I shouldn't have responded.

si rushing into a bug, do you think they give a toss about you or the game, there just getting free money for releasing the same game every year with slightly different graphics, the reason there are only updates every 4 months is because they only work once every 4 months

On a side note FIFA 96 was awesome.

Reserves

si rushing into a bug, do you think they give a toss about you or the game, there just getting free money for releasing the same game every year with slightly different graphics, the reason there are only updates every 4 months is because they only work once every 4 months </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If this is true, why hang around? Why not p**s off and leave us 'fools' to allow SI to pilfer our money, safe in the knowledge that you escaped the ruse?

what it needs is a good car crash, and some new programmers

why, ive never paid for a copy anyway, just download it for free

Reserves

why, ive never paid for a copy anyway, just download it for free </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then what right do you have to expect anything from the product?

Amateur

To say SI don't "give a toss" is a little harsh, especially considering the amount of patches and updates they bring out for the games. Remember they're under absolutely no obligation to do so..

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast