Feeling left out of the loop: News and Inbox

well there are some things added to fm08 which i thought were splendid (coach reports, more responsive media, confidence) and there were somethings i was indifferent to (match flow), there's only one new 'feature' that i despise: the new News tab.

The problem is that i just feel completely left out of the fm world when i don't get any feedback on what's happening around my squad.

Amongst the problems i feel exist with it:

1. news items in the news box give no indication of whether u've viewed them or not (not like the unread messages in the inbox).

2. news items do not get categorised properly by date, eg. after the transfer window closed, the next rounds fixtures still appeared below the last minute signings, meaning that you have to scroll through the entire news box to look for things your interested in.

3. related to the above, sometimes news events just don't appear in the box because the ordering is messed up, eg. a couple of seasonal awards were cut off from a news entry last season.

4. events that IMO really should just appear in your inbox don't anymore. For instance, you only get goal of the month, player of the month or even player of the year results when your player is involved, and so (if you neglect to scroll through the news box regularly), you could miss things like that.

5. there's no date in the main box.

6. the lower-corner 'sub-news-box' is baffling. Why does it exist, couldn't that space be used for filters (like the inbox) or just to spread out the news entry a bit more. What possible reason could there be to need that box there?

7. the key one; the news box is local to your current division. This means you never get informed of overseas transfers of note, super cup winner, league winners or even who won the champions league (with the usual brief match report)! And considering the continental competitions don't have a news section, this means the entire comp happens without any news on injuries or anything of the like.

I understand the rationale for the splitting of the inbox from the news section; a lot of players felt there was too much fluff going into their inbox, but there are plenty of people (like me) who would love to see it back.

My suggestion would be to make it entirely adaptable. Split all the media results into 3 different categories:

->Inbox

Similar to what exists now, your personal squad info, match info, scouting reports etc. as well as media on any shortlisted players goes here.

->League News

Like exists in FM08, every league should have a news section which goes through all the details of what's happening in the league; match results, transfers, player+manager comments to the media, awards and a couple of things i'd like to see added - injuries (as was in FM07) and records. In addition, i feel there should be an international news table (or a international news table for each federation) and one for each continental competition which outlines the similar news results. Each of these would exist as they currently do as one of the sections available from the competitions home page (where you see the league table etc.)

->A Personalised World News Page

This is the key idea that i would like to see implemented, a way for everybody to decide what world news they should get filtered through to them. You could access it through the button next to your inbox (which currently goes to the current division news), but it would be identical to the inbox, just giving world news that you have opted to have newsfeeds of. For instance, for every league news page (which exists for every nations football league, along with continental comps and international management), you should have a preferences/options page where you can decide what types of news messages for you to receive. The types of news could be separated into categories like transfers/match results/awards/records/injuries/media comments etc. And each of these could be available on varying levels - none, low or high (similar to how detail level works now).

For example if you opted to receive low level transfer info from serie A, you'd only receive a news item for the transfer round-up, when a player of high reputation is bought or sold (ie. continental rep or higher), or when a big money move is made (eg. 10m euro or more). On high level, you'd receive transfer info on every loan and signing made in the serie a.

Another example, would be to get match results from the premier league. On none, you'd know nothing about what happened in the epl, on low, you'd only get results of derby matches, matches between big teams (based on reputation or based on position on the table), upsets and key matches like fa cup finals or when a team gets relegated/becomes champions. On high detail, you'd get every league result from the epl in your personalised world news page.

I remember reading somewhere that SI were keen on hearing people's suggestions on what they want to see done about the news/inbox issue, and i hope i've given a viable solution. It's a long post, but i hope everyone can see that it's a fairly comprehensive, but easy to implement (i think) solution to the problem. it allows people to use the game as they wish; with as little or as much detail about the world in a way that makes you feel like your really part of it.

Love to hear what everyone thinks (especially from SI). Please if you respond however, keep it civil and constructive, as i don't want this thread to degrade into another 'FM08 is disgraceful' type thread.

well there are some things added to fm08 which i thought were splendid (coach reports, more responsive media, confidence) and there were somethings i was indifferent to (match flow), there's only one new 'feature' that i despise: the new News tab.

The problem is that i just feel completely left out of the fm world when i don't get any feedback on what's happening around my squad.

Amongst the problems i feel exist with it:

1. news items in the news box give no indication of whether u've viewed them or not (not like the unread messages in the inbox).

2. news items do not get categorised properly by date, eg. after the transfer window closed, the next rounds fixtures still appeared below the last minute signings, meaning that you have to scroll through the entire news box to look for things your interested in.

3. related to the above, sometimes news events just don't appear in the box because the ordering is messed up, eg. a couple of seasonal awards were cut off from a news entry last season.

4. events that IMO really should just appear in your inbox don't anymore. For instance, you only get goal of the month, player of the month or even player of the year results when your player is involved, and so (if you neglect to scroll through the news box regularly), you could miss things like that.

5. there's no date in the main box.

6. the lower-corner 'sub-news-box' is baffling. Why does it exist, couldn't that space be used for filters (like the inbox) or just to spread out the news entry a bit more. What possible reason could there be to need that box there?

7. the key one; the news box is local to your current division. This means you never get informed of overseas transfers of note, super cup winner, league winners or even who won the champions league (with the usual brief match report)! And considering the continental competitions don't have a news section, this means the entire comp happens without any news on injuries or anything of the like.

I understand the rationale for the splitting of the inbox from the news section; a lot of players felt there was too much fluff going into their inbox, but there are plenty of people (like me) who would love to see it back.

My suggestion would be to make it entirely adaptable. Split all the media results into 3 different categories:

->Inbox

Similar to what exists now, your personal squad info, match info, scouting reports etc. as well as media on any shortlisted players goes here.

->League News

Like exists in FM08, every league should have a news section which goes through all the details of what's happening in the league; match results, transfers, player+manager comments to the media, awards and a couple of things i'd like to see added - injuries (as was in FM07) and records. In addition, i feel there should be an international news table (or a international news table for each federation) and one for each continental competition which outlines the similar news results. Each of these would exist as they currently do as one of the sections available from the competitions home page (where you see the league table etc.)

->A Personalised World News Page

This is the key idea that i would like to see implemented, a way for everybody to decide what world news they should get filtered through to them. You could access it through the button next to your inbox (which currently goes to the current division news), but it would be identical to the inbox, just giving world news that you have opted to have newsfeeds of. For instance, for every league news page (which exists for every nations football league, along with continental comps and international management), you should have a preferences/options page where you can decide what types of news messages for you to receive. The types of news could be separated into categories like transfers/match results/awards/records/injuries/media comments etc. And each of these could be available on varying levels - none, low or high (similar to how detail level works now).

For example if you opted to receive low level transfer info from serie A, you'd only receive a news item for the transfer round-up, when a player of high reputation is bought or sold (ie. continental rep or higher), or when a big money move is made (eg. 10m euro or more). On high level, you'd receive transfer info on every loan and signing made in the serie a.

Another example, would be to get match results from the premier league. On none, you'd know nothing about what happened in the epl, on low, you'd only get results of derby matches, matches between big teams (based on reputation or based on position on the table), upsets and key matches like fa cup finals or when a team gets relegated/becomes champions. On high detail, you'd get every league result from the epl in your personalised world news page.

I remember reading somewhere that SI were keen on hearing people's suggestions on what they want to see done about the news/inbox issue, and i hope i've given a viable solution. It's a long post, but i hope everyone can see that it's a fairly comprehensive, but easy to implement (i think) solution to the problem. it allows people to use the game as they wish; with as little or as much detail about the world in a way that makes you feel like your really part of it.

Love to hear what everyone thinks (especially from SI). Please if you respond however, keep it civil and constructive, as i don't want this thread to degrade into another 'FM08 is disgraceful' type thread.

I feel left out too.

I think the new news page is a good idea at first but it would take SI a couple of installments before they get it right (as with all their new features - e.g. calendar and important dates is also unusable as it is now).

The news about the games could at least be expanded to include information:

- goal scorers

- attendance

- man of match

- red cards

- missed penalties

And the news heading could be added with a category, eg.

- results

- awards

- transfer

- rumor

- injury

- job

- record

to easier spot what the news is about.

About the calendar:

- does not display results of past games

- uses very short names for clubs so they are hard to guess what the club is

- has to many uninportant games listed also (we need a filter or better default)

- important dates news item should be linked with calendar and what filter settings we use. (eg as Liverpool you dont give a damm about reserver team games etc.)

- you can not browse back in the calendar

I like your ideas. Right now it's like we play in our little bubble and we don't know nothing of the outside world. I never bother to check the news box other than my main box because it's too random. At least they should be ordered by date.

I hope we don't have to wait for FM2009 to correct this. It kinda ruins the imersive football world.

I think that the good thing about the news tab that a lot of people missed is the fact that you can now look through the other leagues in your game and see the news in that league too.

In FM07 this wasn't available to us because there was no news tab and so we had no way of knowing what was going on in the other leagues (except from the league table). Personally I enjoy checking out whats happening in the world which is why I like the news box, so I don't have to go into every team's page and check their transfers etc etc.

But you do make some valid points. The least they could do is clean up the whole thing a little. But I think it's a step in the right direction.

Fully agree with this.

I really hate that unless you make a point of going into the news section, you can miss such important this as managers being sacked, and managers being hired.

Roy Keane was sacked as Sunderland boss during my first season and i never spotted it until i had to play Sunderland and spotted that Tony Mowbray was manager.

Nepenthez, the sub-news box i was refering to is the bizzare box in the right hand corner of news screen. It basically just displays the previous news item to the one which your currently reading and for the life of me, i can't work out why it exists. It seems to me to just be distracting and for some reason, it gives the date of the news article, but the main box doesn't.

Paddy_Fowler, you just reminded me of the other thing i miss; manager sackings/job availability. The only way to know when jobs become available nowadays is to look in the manager security screen, and this is frustrating because you'd have to check pretty regularly to keep tabs, and the tab also takes forever to load. There should also be a way to filter how much info you get on job availabliilty, for instance - "none" would be as currently exists now, "minor" could be only jobs of higher reputation than your own or ones where your touted as a candidate, and "major" would info on every sacking.

Something which was also lacking from last time, is that jobs which become available when a manager leaves because he's offered a new job don't appear (so for instance, if schuster is fired and rafa benitez took over, FM07 would not let you know about the liverpool vacancy). And the other thing that is now absent in FM08, is even when you apply for another job, you're told if you're unsuccessful, but you never get feedback on who got the gig.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by williamshankley:

agree also! We should have the option to choose what news we want to see!

I get news items aout the Dutch Cup but don't get told who got the Wigan job icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea should be simple to at least implement an option where you can choose which leagues' news you want to see all in 1 place rather than having to bookmark every competitions news and go between them all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Good post, I must agree they haven't got this right, you miss a lot of information which is usefull and it doesn't appear to be ordened by date or something, just random. Hope it will be 'updated' in future installments!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived