dafuge's FM10 challenge

The Aim

To take a small club who were previously unplayable in the game from the Blue Square N/S to Premier League and Champions League glory.

The Rules

Just like last year, to make sure that the eligible teams have the correct squads, we will be using a .ddt file to retain the players for those teams. Download Link Alternative download link. If for any reason these don't work, let me know, I'll fix them.

Here's where it needs to go:

Vista - C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\data\db\1000\edt

Steam - C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2010\data\db\1000\edt

Or with the 10.2.0 patch, here:

C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\data\updates\update-1020\db\1020\edt

To make sure it is working, when you set up your game, go to preferences - extra files. You should see it listed and ticked in there like this.

Load a game with the English leagues only, with the Blue Square N/S selected, a large database (or smaller if preferred), the attribute masking, real players and transfer boxes ticked and the add key staff box unticked. It should look like this.

In addition this year, for those of you who want to add to the database to make things more competitive at the top level in the long term, you can set the database level to custom to add the players for the top clubs in each continent. It should look like this. This is purely optional, but no extra players can be loaded on top of this, this is the limit.

The extra levels of detail that you can change while in the game are up to you, as they shouldn't make a difference.

Add yourself as an unemployed manager, the details are not important at all. I like to call mine 'Holiday Man'.

Go on holiday until 25th June, this shouldn't take too long, perhaps about an hour. Saving on 24th June may give you a better choice of teams by reloading the game then going on holiday for one day, I would strongly recommend trying this.

Retire your 'Holiday Man' manager. After spending his entire career on holiday I'd love to know how he spends his retirement.

Add a new manager, the options are up to you but 'past experience' must be set to the lowest possible which is 'Sunday league footballer'. I understand that choosing different nationalities may have an effect later on, but I trust people will be sensible with this. I would expect people to use their own true nationalities.

Whena adding a new manager, choose one of the new clubs promoted to the Blue Square North or South to manage. They should appear in this list which also shows the reputation of the possible clubs. The reputation should act as a difficulty level, the lower the reputation, the harder your game should be.

[b]Isthmian League Premier Division[/b]

AFC Hornchurch (1050)
Ashford (1100)
Aveley (850)
Billericay (850)
Bognor Regis (800)
Boreham Wood (1150)
Canvey Island (1100)
Carshalton (1050)
Cray (800)
Dartford (1500)
Harrow (1000)
Hastings United (1100)
Hendon (900)
Horsham (1050)
Kingstonian (1100)
Maidstone (1250)
Margate (850)
Sutton United (1300)
Tonbridge (1200)
Tooting & Mitcham (1100)
Waltham Abbey (700)
Wealdstone (1250)

[b]Southern Football League Premier Division[/b]

Banbury (900)
Bashley (650)
Bedford (1050)
Brackley (600)
Cambridge C (1150)
Chippenham (950)
Clevedon (800)
Didcot (550)
Evesham (650)
Farnborough (1250)
Halesowen (650)
Hednesford (1200)
Hemel Hempstead (750)
Leamington (700)
Merthyr (1200)
Nuneaton (1700)
Oxford City (1000)
Rugby (650)
Stourbridge (600)
Swindon S (750)
Tiverton (1100)
Truro (1250)

[b]Northern Premier League Premier Division[/b]

Ashton United (950)
Boston United (1300)
Bradford PA (1150)
Burscough (950)
Buxton (800)
Durham (500)
FC United (900)
Frickley (750)
Guiseley (1050)
Hucknall (900)
Kendal (950)
Marine (950)
Matlock (750)
Nantwich (950)
North Ferriby (850)
Ossett Town (700)
Retford (1000)
Stocksbridge (700)
Whitby (750)
Worksop (800)

* reputations updated with 10.3 patch.

It is now up to you to manage this club all the way to the Premier League title and UEFA Champions League crown.

You may not move clubs unless you are sacked.

If you get sacked, you can either take over a newly promoted club that satisfies the original criteria (check the club's league history), or just start again.

Any form of international management is not allowed, until you have completed the challenge.

Assigning parent clubs and loaning players is completely up to the player, although it should be noted that on occasions a parent club can lend players which will make the first season or two slightly less of a challenge. It is completely up to you how you play this one, but everyone knows real men don't use parent club loans. Personally, I like to assign a parent club for financial benefits but never take any players on loan from them.

To sign a player, you must be able to scout them, this doesn't mean you have to, just he must be accessible to your scouts. If you have a foreign player on a free transfer who is willing to come on trial, you do not need to be able to scout them, as long as you have them at the club on trial so you can get a coach report on him.

No external utilities such as scouting programs should be used and the database should be unedited, this is particularly important with the new changes to the editor. Should SI release a data update, this would be allowed but any other data updates are not. It is advised that people should update using the latest patches as they are released, we have waited for 10.1 before starting so I would expect to see everyone using it from day one.

Use of save game editors is strictly banned, whatever the reason.

Rules for this Thread

Player naming is allowed.

General discussion on tactics is allowed, although people should not refer to downloaded tactics. They are not banned, but I would expect the majority of people to avoid them.

Screenshots for anything are encouraged but please post links to your pictures, don't post them as images as it makes the pages slower to load. Posts included embedded images may be deleted without warning.

When you join the challenge, could you post a screenshot of your manager's profile on the 25th June like this.

Progress of your club should be documented using this thread, we want to hear the story of your club all the way through. Please keep us updated, even if you are doing really badly.

At the end of every season, could everyone post some kind of season review, including at least a screenshot of a league table and the clubs transfer page. If you give this a title in bold it makes it a bit easier to pick out.

Sadly we no longer have the website to track our progress, so there will not be any full tables posted as there have been in the past. I will try and keep a table of PL and CL wins and completions going, so if you win either competition for the first time please make it clear in your end of season review.

How to Post a Screenshot

• While in FM, press Alt and F9
  • A picture will be saved to a screenshots folder, in the FM10 folder in your documents
  • Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket
  • Post the direct Url to the image here.

How to Add Links

At the top of the forum, go to 'Settings' then 'General Settings' (on the left). At the bottom, select 'enhanced interface' and save the changes. This will give you access to the extra posting tools that make it easier to post links. Once you've done this, highlight the word you wish to turn into a link, then use the link button (looks like a little globe) to paste in the direct Url to your screenshot.

Enjoy :thup:

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just like last year, to make sure that the eligible teams have the correct squads, we will be using a .ddt file to retain the players for those teams. Download Link Alternative download link. If for any reason these don't work, let me know, I'll fix them.

Here's where it needs to go:

Vista - C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\data\db\1000\edt

Anyone having trouble getting this to work?

I'm finally in. With no Truro City available, I plumped for Merthyr Tydfil. I even have a Mourinhoesque jacket as you can see.

Let's see how I do with a striker with a BSS-beating amount of Pace and Finishing but Decisions and Anticipation 1 and Composure 3. :D It's a shame that there's a rather large data flaw - Gloucester City were promoted with us and IRL Merthyr would be fierce rivals with them. On the game, there's nothing.

I think I'll wait until the morning to play my first game and get some sleep in the meantime. Strangely, I arrived at the club to be greeted by an assistant manager/coaches/physios etc despite being sure that I unchecked the 'key staff' box. I may have to take a financial hit in order to ship out the dead wood.

I think I'll wait until the morning to play my first game and get some sleep in the meantime. Strangely, I arrived at the club to be greeted by an assistant manager/coaches/physios etc despite being sure that I unchecked the 'key staff' box. I may have to take a financial hit in order to ship out the dead wood.

I am 100% sure I unticked it and I still had a assistant and a physio.

Im not sure whether ill should be startin this challenge now or wait untill some of you guys has played several years to see if there is any game killing bugs..

I would hate to start a great game just to find out that the manager contract bug is back again or something else that ruins the game!

So could someone please use every hour of the next week to play the game, so i can get started.

Thx

:D

I found out how to get it to show. About to start now . . .

XP / Steam : C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2010\data\db\1000\edt

Thanks for that. I should have added, if anyone has locations for other ways of installing the game then post them here and I'll add them to the OP.

Truro, Durham, Hemel Hempstead or Waltham Abbey. Anything else is just nothing really. :cool:

I deffo want Durham for sentimental values. Truro could be popular given the fact there are no Cornish teams in the professional ranks. :thup:

Check out the wiki entry as well. Seems as if they are something of a sleeping giant!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truro_City_F.C.

About to holiday now. COuldn't commit to any one club last year. Gonna try and resurrect the once Chelsea of Essex AFC Hornchurch. If not I'll try for Durham having unied near there several years ago. Bring on the holiday.

PS, my holiday manager becomes a travel agent after he retires.

Well I have the patch downloaded at least. Shame I have no game to put it on yet! Can't believe Parcelforce failed to deliver yesterday, first time GAME haven't got me a game before launch day.

Anyways to those of you who have started, good luck. I really hope to be joining the fun this evening.

Archived