FM10 Small Club to Big Club Big Euro Nation Challenge

Welcome to the third season of the Big Euro Nation Challenge, this year sponsored by iacovone, Lower Leagues Rule & rlipscombe in place of founder JoseRR.

The challenge runs similarly to many of the other popular challenges seen in the CSE forum (see dafuge's, Gundo's, rancer's and razor's) in that the aim is to guide a previously unplayable club from one of the below chosen league's to the top of the domestic and European food chain.

The Possible Countries

The available nations to manage are:

France

Spain

Italy

Portugal

Germany

additional:

Holland

Scotland

Turkey

A word on the above three newly added leagues: With the help of my two accomplices (Lower Leagues Rule & rlipscombe), we have found a niche in the challenge market...Scotland! The issue that has always existed with Scotland and Holland is the absence of a promotion/relegation structure in the bottom playable league. This year however, we are experimenting with a new format. If you choose to manage in Scotland you should holiday for one year (as per usual) and then select the team that finished rock bottom of this league. If you choose to manage in Holland you should holiday the game for two years as this is when the new relegation/promotion rules come into play. Turkey should be holidayed as per usual and is a new addition to the challenge as it's league reputation is now too large for Gundo's challenge.

Saved Games (holidayed):

Scotland - Elgin - Saved 1st June

Scottish Save - Stranraer - 16th of June

Holland -

Spain - Saved at Reset Date

Portugal - Saved 28th June (Reset 30th)

Italy - Saved 28th June (Reset 30th)

France - Saved 19th June (Reset 20th)

Germany - 1 day before reset date

League Reset Dates:

Based on FM09, a list of all the league reset dates are shown below. If you have found any changes to this, please let me know.

France - 19th June
Germany - 19th June
Italy - 29th June
Portugal - 23rd June
Spain - 10th July
Holland - 7th July
[/Code]

[b]The Rules -Playing[/b]

Load a game with all the available divisions within the nation you selected only (only one nation is allowed).

A large database should be ticked (although you are free to choose a medium or small database option if you wish). Any official SI patch may be used, but no other edited databases can be used for this challenge.

You may also go into 'custom' database and add 'top players' from any continent you choose.

Attribute masking should be enabled, with no additional players from any nation loaded.

The extra levels of detail that you can change while in the game are up to you, as they shouldn't make a difference. It is advised that you select ‘Load all Players’ for the country you are in. (This has been proven to provide you with over 50% more players in some countries!)

Add yourself as an unemployed manager, the details are not important at all, as you will not use this man to manage your club.

Go on holiday until the reset date of your chosen nation, this shouldn't take that long, perhaps about an hour. Saving on the day before this date may give you a better choice of teams by reloading the game then going on holiday for one day, I would strongly recommend trying this.

Retire your unemployed manager. Add a new manager, the options are up to you but 'past experience' must be set to the lowest possible which is 'Sunday league footballer'. I have no issue with the chosen nationality of your manager - in fact I would suggest that choosing the nationality that fits your chosen country to manage in would be the fairest option.

Then choose to take over any club which has been promoted to the bottom playable league of your nation.

You must now manage this club to the national top division title, then progress to be champions of Europe. This doesn’t have to occur in the same season, just with the same club. Should you be sacked at any point during the game, you may either re-start the challenge with a new team and a new save game, or you may wish to continue on your current save game, taking over a club at the end of the season under the same rules as before.

There are no restrictions on parent and feeder clubs, and you must be able to scout a player before you buy them - you don’t have to actually scout them, just that the option is available. You may also sign players you can attract to the club via a trial.

The use of any external utilities and editors (Such as Genie Scout or FMM) are prohibited.

[b]

DDT Files[/b] ([i]kindly provided by Lower Leagues Rule)

[/i]

France

Germany

Holland

Italy

Portugal

Scotland

Spain (updated)

The above files, when installed to the correct directory will retain players in the lower league sides and throughout the nation of the file you have downloaded.

Here's where they needs to go:

Use the C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\data\db\1000\edt folder...

There is also a much detailed guide found here

[b]The Rules - Posting[/b]

Player naming is allowed. (This is a warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

Discussion of tactics is allowed. (This is another warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

Please use screenshots for any aspect of your game you wish to share - this is actively encouraged!

When you join the challenge, could you post a screenshot of your manager's profile as soon as you join your club.

Progress of your club should be documented using this thread, we want to hear the story of your club all the way through. Please keep us updated, even if you are doing badly.

At the end of every season, could everyone post some kind of season review, including at least a screenshot of a league table and the clubs transfer page. If you give this a title in bold it makes it a bit easier to pick out.

[b]How to Post a Screenshot[/b]

• While in FM, press the 'Prt Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).

• Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image

• Save the file as a JPEG

• Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket or Imageshack

• Post the direct Url to the image here.

Finally I would like to wish everyone taking on this challenge the best of luck on a long and hard journey to managerial success!

FM09's thread was a massive success and huge improvement on the FM08 version in both participation and atmosphere. As core members for both years, [i]myself, LLR and rlipscombe[/i] would like to add that we are here to help for the new challengers and hope everybody that participates contributes considerably to the thread. There is nothing better than getting immersed not only in your own game but providing the encouragement to other people's attempts too. Remember we are all fighting the same battle - to defeat the AI (and uncover fabulous newgens!) - therefore it goes without saying that any form of cheating will be severely chastised. Don't do it! We had an incident last year, lets not see it again - it spoils the challenge for the hard workers in here. :)

Away we go :cool:

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome to the new thread everyone. I shall try to get 7 save games up at some point after I have downloaded the game. :)

These aren't compulsory are they?

Looking forward to breaking the Old Firm if I make my way to the Premiership.

Last time I ran away with the third division then didn't really make much signings as I was trying to rush the season so I could play another challenge save. Didn't win a game all season :cool:

Wow. The introduction of the Scottish leagues as got me very interested in this. I would love to get somebody from my home Country to win the Champions League.

I will just have decide if I do this or Dafuges Challenge first

Good Work lads. You can expect to see me in here at some point (you can decide if that is a good thing or not)

Tut tut tut...

Just look at the mindless jibber jabber in here already...just 2 hours away from Steam release! Sadly for me its good night and happy reloading Des :thup:

I'll see everyone back here on Saturday - who's gonna have their 1st season report up by then I wonder :D

No the save games are not compulsory, more than anything it is because some people have slower machines and like to be able to jump straight in, so this way they can do that. :)

Edit: If Montrose are still in the bottom division I would quite like a chance to manage them lol.

I'll be hoping for them too. I live about 30 mins away from there. :)

Des Tiny's Elgin Adventure

Defeating the Old Firm Leg I

Scottish Third Division 2010/11

The Club: Elgin City

Elgin City Football Club was formed on the 10th August 1893, when Elgin Rovers and Vale of Lossie amalgamated to form the new club. The club played it's first competitive match on the 7th October 1893, defeating another Elgin side, Rangers Athletic 4-2 in a North of Scotland Cup 1st round tie at Association Park, Elgin, vice-captain John Christie scored the first goal for the new team. On 20th August 1921, Borough Briggs was opened, yes our ground is only 89 years old.

Overall History: 14 times Highland League Champions, Highland League Cup Winners - 5 times (from nine finals), Scottish Qualifying Cup Winners - 7 times (from 15 finals) and North of Scotland Cup Winners - 17 times (from 26 final appearances).

In 2009/10 they finished bottom of the Scottish Third Division and this is where we come in. Hopes are high that success on and off the pitch will soon return to Borough Briggs.

The Manager: Des Tiny

Des Tiny is a little known Scottish born New Zealander, he has grown up with a love of Football, but never managed to be good enough for a club or country to get very far, his immense knowledge is seen as the reason that Elgin have signed him to start the new season. There is a rumour floating around that he was the Unknown Manager who led AD Fafe to a League Title in Portugal, but there is no proof of this to be found.

I hope when I install W7 on my laptop, it'll be a bit faster... (I have the upgrade disk, I just have to find time to find an external HD to transfer my data and then install it)

Well...here goes...Ricky Nakano now manager of Sannois SG.

I'm still not getting used to the new layout. I'm having trouble finding how to setup my staff and scouting players... :(

My club is P/T too...first big issue is trying to get rid of everyone I don't need... :p

I might just offer to clubs on a free if I need to, to release some wage budget to sign better players. :)

My club has 5 goalkeepers. I'll need to get rid of a couple somehow...

Well with the decision between dafuge's and this challenge always going to be tough - the deciding factor was again this thread. You've really made this challenge one of the best by always backing everyone who attempts this challenge. :thup:

Ben Taylor* is a complete unknown rookie within the footballing world. He has been given the chance to showcase his talents at Portuguese Third Division North Club Infesta; with a solid first season hopefully I can push towards the big time and finish where I failed last season.

Best of luck to everyone else too :thup:

Des Tiny's Elgin Adventure

Defeating the Old Firm Leg I

Scottish Third Division 2010/11

The First Problem: Semi-Pro

The club is only Semi-Professional which means I have a bunch of part-timers on the books, my first challenge is to sign the top players to full-time contracts. My next challenge is to clear some Wage room. We are Consolidating for the new season, and have been given a wage budget of 2k and a transfer of 3.5k, currently we are spending 2,011 on wages, so already over.

The Squad: As they Stand

Here is the best we have in each position, with a current squad of some 35 players I am definitely going to be making a clean out.

GK - Michael Miele

DR - David Niven

DL - Allan Dempsie

DC - Zander Jack

DC - Paul Kazcan

DM - Neil MacDonald

MR - Duncan McPhee

ML - Stephen Black

AM - Kyle MacAulay

ST - Craig Frizzel

ST - Craig Gunn

There are a few other players, I sort of like the look of in the team, but my poor backroom staff need to be replaced before I can really start to decide who to keep and who to sell.

The Transfers: The Next Step

Right now I need to build some strength in the squad, the first issue is a true goalie, currently I have two, 17 & 18 years old in the club. Its the worst position we have, hopefully I can start with a good keeper and build from there.

Archived