View Poll Results: How good are you at FM? Rate yourself out of 5 stars.

Voters
676. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1*

32 4.73%
  • 2*

70 10.36%
  • 3*

247 36.54%
  • 4*

232 34.32%
  • 5*

95 14.05%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How good are you at FM? Rate yourself out of 5 stars.

Third Team
    The difference between genius and insanity is measured only by success.

Default Re: How good are you at FM? Rate yourself out of 5 stars.

3* bordering on 4* but as im not there yet wouldnt be fair to over-judge myself.

Youth Team
    Motherwell FC Researcher (living in Livingston)

Quote Originally Posted by SPE3D View Post
    There is no correct way or incorrect way of playing the game and I certainly would never push my views on others. I personally choose to play as realistically as possible because thats the way I enjoy FM. Could you please explain how the search function can be used in a realistic way?
    Already did in another thread. But hey I'll do it again.

The SPFA have a list of all freebies register in Scotland - this can be duplicated with the search function

The SFA have a list of all registered Non Playing staff in Scotland - this can be duplicated by the search function.

Scouting players before you sign them is also unrealistic for most lower league clubs in Scotland - most of the time it is done by word of mouth or because the club is in close vicinity to their club. This is how most loans and youth players from the SPL end up at clubs that are next door to them - not because of Scouts (after a trial period of course) - for example Airdrie United, Albion Rovers and Queen's Park end up having Celtic, Rangers and Motherwell "failures" in their team - and trust me it wasn't because of scouts.

It was because their manager asked Old Firm/Motherwell manager who was available at that time or they knew they were to be released so offered them a trial (another example is Aberdeen with Peterhead and Montrose).

Amateur

3 stars. I'm not bad but I'm not going to start out with a Danish second division team and take them to glory in my first game :P

play attractive, attacking football. beat stronger opponents than me. pull off backs to the wall jobs. make some sensational signings, manage my club balances and finances exceptionally. only downside to my style is that i can start a little slowly sometimes.

Banned

108 with a quite beautiful post there.

And I'd class my self as a 2*. Purely because I'm quite crap, it takes me a long time to get success. Infact, it took me 7 season to get Marine promoted on 09. But, I'm not as bad as some here.

First Team Squad Member
    To be an Arsenal fan you have to be a masochist

Probaly 3* but like weeman went for 4

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by SJ234 View Post
    Probaly 3* but like weeman went for 4

In the past I have got Hartlepool into the 2nd tier of English football, I have won the prem with Arsnal and the world cup with England but on the other hand I bankrupt Man u (ok I did that on purpose) got relegated on various occasions, so I voted with an Avarage 3.

Amateur

5* here, everything I touch turns to gold.

I am the special one

Tactics and Match Engine Moderator

Four star. Don't think I've ever managed back to back promotions from a BS Regional to L2. If I'm at a sleeping giant I can manage consecutive promotions from L2 to the Premiership, but with smaller clubs it will take me a couple of seasons longer. Once I have a top side I tend to maintain it quite easily and dominate the domestic leagues, although, unlike some, I don't win the CL season on season, with maybe 3 wins in 5 years being my best perfomance. I won the EPL and CL with Wycombe in 09, but it took me a good number of years to do so.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by ATW View Post

The SPFA have a list of all freebies register in Scotland - this can be duplicated with the search function

The SFA have a list of all registered Non Playing staff in Scotland - this can be duplicated by the search function.

Scouting players before you sign them is also unrealistic for most lower league clubs in Scotland - most of the time it is done by word of mouth or because the club is in close vicinity to their club. This is how most loans and youth players from the SPL end up at clubs that are next door to them - not because of Scouts (after a trial period of course) - for example Airdrie United, Albion Rovers and Queen's Park end up having Celtic, Rangers and Motherwell "failures" in their team - and trust me it wasn't because of scouts.

It was because their manager asked Old Firm/Motherwell manager who was available at that time or they knew they were to be released so offered them a trial (another example is Aberdeen with Peterhead and Montrose).
    Do you play with fog of war? Otherwise this option is still unrealistic because in real life you would not know the attributes of every player on that list. And even then it can be argued that you would not know the attributes of these players without sending a scout to watch them first.

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by ATW View Post

You make a good point about scouting. I doubt many Conference South sides have dedicated scouts.

Most of the time it is about word of mouth or a manager's knowledge and contacts.

A potential signing will train with the first team or reserves and probably play for the reserves or the youth side.

A manager will generally use his contacts at bigger clubs to sign up young players on work experience on loan. These players may eventually end up joining the club if they are released by the parent club.

Also, a lot of the time, the manager will know the qualities of a potential signing due to him playing the same league as the club he manages.

Lists of non-contracted and available players are also available in England and regularly published in the Non-League Paper each summer, for instance, as well as being available online.

Personally, I do use the search page on FM occasionally but I only search for players who are based in the countries or regions I am able to scout. My own personal rule is always to scout or trial players thoroughly before signing them. I always use attribute masking as well. In general, most of my FM signings come directly from my scouts, from real life knowledge, from having seen a player in the game itself or from clubs in the same division as me.

Regards,
    C.

Amateur

This is how good i am

....by the way, I'm managing Liverpool
    Last edited by fmobande; 26-10-2009 at 10:47.

Amateur

this is why lots of low club aka conference league teams ,has 95% of English players cause of they scouting is not good enough or money wise, ect you would see some team like braintree snap up a young star from brazil with the scouting lvl they have.

Amateur

I went with 3*.Fine playing as Premiership or Championship team, struggle with lower leagues. Hope to change this with FM 10 and have a go at Dafuge's challenge.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by fmobande View Post
    This is how good i am

....by the way, I'm managing Liverpool
    Haha .. interesting that you had the lead

Amateur

5 stars - absolutely no question about it

Amateur

I'd say 3, since I can take any team into the premiership within 5-7 seasons, but then struggle to get them into the top four. Simply can't attract the best players.

Amateur

On fm 08 id rate my self 3
    On fm 09 id rate my self 4/5

but overall i think i'm a 3

Amateur

I was pretty happy with my 100+ run of unbeaten league games with Villa, but it then got really boring so I resorted to constantly losing in the CCC Playoffs once again.

Third Team

3. I've never been relegated ever, but I've also never won the Premiership ever.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Deisler26 View Post
    3. I've never been relegated ever, but I've also never won the Premiership ever.
    Keep on trying !!! never give up your dream

Banned

Being honest i would consider myself a one star compared to the other people who play the game. I can do it with big teams but i'd never be able to turn lower league teams into prem title contenders in few years

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lutontown1991 View Post
    Being honest i would consider myself a one star compared to the other people who play the game. I can do it with big teams but i'd never be able to turn lower league teams into prem title contenders in few years
    Turning Lower league teams into Prem title contenders is unrealistic anyway! You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. If you can succeed with top(ish) teams, you're more than likely a 3*

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by lutontown1991 View Post
    lol i agree with this, i see some people using AFC Wimbledon and taking them to premiership ect personally, i could never do this but that don't make you 1 star it will make you 3 or something

i did take Braintree to win the blue square 1st season, and made them 1st in blue premier for for 27 games in 2nd season when i was predicted to become last . but then i flopped on the 28 game so that makes me 3/4 stars

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Aja View Post
    Turning Lower league teams into Prem title contenders is unrealistic anyway! You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. If you can succeed with top(ish) teams, you're more than likely a 3*
    Actually i remember in Fm 2008 i got stoke promoted to the prem in first season then got into champions league in two seasons in the prem. But that was just luck. Maybe i'm a 2 or a 3 thanks for that

Banned

And I meant a 3* at least. Nice work there with Stoke, did a bigger club snaffle you away with the lure of a huge war chest? This is what usually happens when I have a good save going with a lesser club. I just can't say no to Liverpool, Valencia, Ajax and the like when they offer me £70M+ for transfers. Then after a few months I lose heart and quit

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Aja View Post
    And I meant a 3* at least. Nice work there with Stoke, did a bigger club snaffle you away with the lure of a huge war chest? This is what usually happens when I have a good save going with a lesser club. I just can't say no to Liverpool, Valencia, Ajax and the like when they offer me £70M+ for transfers. Then after a few months I lose heart and quit
    I was offered various jobs but i just loved playing with stoke so much i couldn't leave because i had a personal touch on the team over the number of years i was there and i was excited seeing the players i signed as youngsters develop. I had enough money to keep me happy anyway. when henri saivet was stolen off me by Barcelona that hurt me too much to continue any further

Amateur

I voted 3 stars, on 08 I got Burnley to the Premiership (only up 1 division, not a massive achievement) but I did win some impressive trophies, 3 FA Cups, 4 League Cups, 1 x Uefa Cup, 1 x Champions League. I was in 2016 when I stopped playing. Obviously Money is a massive problem compared to other teams so I viewed this as a successful game. On 09, I was Bolton, won a fair bit, although not as much as with Burnley, and still no Premiership but I'm an established top 4 side now and with a small stadium, no bigger than 35k seats so revenue was a bit tight. However because of the lack of "major" trophies despite numerous sides challenging I though 3 star would be fair.

Although I never sign in all the usuals mentioned on the forums. I.e. Saivet, Fazio, Sakho etc

Amateur

I've got to be 4*.

I seriously clear up with Spurs although they are a big team. On '09 I've won 17 consecutive PLs, 10 Cls, 14 FA Cups, etc, etc. I've also won the World Cup and Euro Champs with England.

I'd give myself 5* but Spurs are far from the biggest test of FM pedigree. I'll start in the lowest tier of English football on FM10 and that will give me a true answer.

Banned

Love the moderators all rating themselves 4*. Obviously they don't want to make us feel inadequate ;)

Amateur

I voted 4 stars. I generally get successful with every team I manage in 2-3 seasons at most, otherwise I generally tend to get bored. I haven't been at a team for more than 3 seasons without winning anything since I genuinely get bored. I got back to back promotions with Leeds, which I took up to 6th place in the EPL in 4 seasons. Played a UEFA Cup final with Romanian side CFR Cluj, won doubles or trebles with most of the major European sides I played.

Amateur

4*,

would be 5 but I don't have the patience to sign freebies/loans for struggling League 2 sides, I need to manage rich conference or highly placed League 2 sides to be happy.

Amateur

Wink Re: How good are you at FM? Rate yourself out of 5 stars.

I've just checked all my old saved games from FM 2005 to FM 2010 (Demo), there's 18 in total and in each of the manager stats my lowest win percentage is 71% with the highest being 89%. On that basis i'd put myself down as a 5.

I wouldn't say FM is easy, just say i'm that damn good! lol

Part-Timer

5*, I smash it; always start a new game by obliterating everyone with Liverpool, then look for new challenges. Always take a Conference team to the Premiership, and even Won it with (the now non-existent) Moor Green in FM08 and got to like the Quarters of the Champions League.

First Team Squad Member

Interesting that the the most popular choices are 3* followed closely by 4*, which probably suggests that the difficulty of the game is actually about right.

C.

Part-timer

3*

(insert useless characters here)

Amateur

I usually start with lower league teams,and obivously it takes years to achieve something with them,but i quickly get bored and pick another team then another,it goes on and on.Thats why i give myself 2

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crouchaldinho View Post
    Interesting that the the most popular choices are 3* followed closely by 4*, which probably suggests that the difficulty of the game is actually about right.

C.
    This is my thread and my poll, don't steal my big moment :mad:

I was planning to say that soon enough

Semi Pro
    I don't agree with that in the workplace.

3 for me for sure.

markyosullivan

3* though if I get really into the game, I can usually reach 4*

Amateur

I would say 4*

I have had moments of 5* ..... and moments of 3*

Tried all sorts of challenges, Man Utd, Real Madrid, Preston NE, Southport, Vauxhall Motors etc. I have done it all. I love starting as a small club like Southport and taking 15-20 seasons to get them to be the best team in the world with a huge stadium named after me and and a squad of complete regens.

Amateur

I generally class myself as a 3*

I'm generally like a lot of others. I'm a better lower league manager than I am at a higher league. I generally tend to get teams promoted to the top division and then leave them :-)

Amateur

I would say 3 i get the expectations I said I would to the board some may say I am 4 but I would think 3

2* in terms of achievement, 5* for effort.

Amateur

Im undoubtedly a 4. So i should be having played FM/CM since Championship Manager 2. I always start saves thinking that i'm going to be a 5 but never do, i tend to do whats expected of me consistantly but not too much more, makes me wonder why i still play but i do!

Banned

It would give my self 3 .Strangely i have had more success with AT Madrid than any other top 4 English or Italian team.Also for me is harder to win the league with the top 4 teams than to get promoted in the first league with a lower league team.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RTHerringbone View Post
    2* in terms of achievement, 5* for effort.
    Respect

Amateur

only new to the game but i'd say a 3 ac.milan at mo in second season came second in first season but one the cup. This season 3 points clear at xmas lost only once but have drawn 6.

I would say 4. Generally successful, although sometimes I will make a gigantic **** up and bail...

Semi Pro

between 3 and 4

Amateur

Judging by FM09 and FM07, I'd say 5.
    All others usually between 4 and 5.

Amateur

At the start of the game i.e first couple of seasons i rekon a 4. However after that a 2/3 as teams work out my tactics and i usually struggle to adapt.

Semi Pro
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils...

I normally do well on FM but my lack of long term saves I think stops me from being a 4*

Amateur

Hmm I rate myself 3 I suppose . I'm not bad and I'm not a expert

Part-Timer

My CV in this game is much better than real life. Managed back to back promotions in France, twice in England and once in Scotland. I put myself as a 5, but only because there isn't a 4.5. ;)

I don't think I'm that good. It's just that AI's squad building is horrible (no offence SI), I can always find random quality freebies who aren't even being looked at by other teams. Freebies usually get me all the way to the top league.

Banned

I think everybody's CV in this game is better than real life bardock

As for the freebies part, I've noticed it myself; can normally pick up future superstars as the years go by for pennies. Will also find top quality players willing to rot in the reserves of their club as opposed to moving to your club for guaranteed 1st team football.

Anyway, enough of FM bashing, would like more votes now we've had the new game for a while

International Star Player
    ] Winner World Cup Prediction League 2010

A confident 2* here.

Being a LLM I do of course lack some of the 'expertise' (T&TT, GP&TG ) that (I suspect many of) the 4* or 5* experts have. But overall I'm convinced that I could be better if I were more of a stickler for training setups, paid more attention to clever tactical setups etc. But that's me. It's a simple game IRL, so it should be simple in FM, too

Banned

I suppose then, DJ, the term (question) "How good are you at FM?" is very broad, seeing as we all have our own way of playing the game.

2? definitely!

Semi Pro

Put myself down as a 3 last time I saw this thread, probably have to go down to two based on FM10, played 1 game, started as Villa, 2 wins in the league, through in the Uefa, everything is fine, 5 straight league defeats, out of league cup and in goes my resignation, start off as a Championship club next.

Although I need to spend more time, I'm playing it too quickly, I.e continue, continue, continue, not really do tactics...play match while I scour the net etc..

Amateur

5* i'd love to manage my home team

Smoggy and proud!

Amateur

Current ability : 3 stars, currently have a small ukranian side chasing the league one title. Expected to finish 17.
    Pottential ability : 4 stars, as its my career game I will manage plenty of clubs so only time will tell

And on a side note, I did get offered the Middlesbrough job, I turned it down

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The-Perfect-Fm'er! View Post
    Put myself down as a 3 last time I saw this thread, probably have to go down to two based on FM10, played 1 game, started as Villa, 2 wins in the league, through in the Uefa, everything is fine, 5 straight league defeats, out of league cup and in goes my resignation, start off as a Championship club next.

Although I need to spend more time, I'm playing it too quickly, I.e continue, continue, continue, not really do tactics...play match while I scour the net etc..
    I think this is a common phenomenon at SI towers. They call it "Space bar play" or something like that where you just rattle off game after game and progress as quickly as possible.
    I'm the mirror opposite; I like to become completely engrossed in the game and take ages to even get to the next match, let alone the next month/season.
    I started as Man City a couple of days and and, barring some noodling around with the editor in between, I've only just reached my first League game of the season tonight. Have yet to play it.
    Last edited by Wee Aja; 03-11-2009 at 23:59.

Amateur

3* Given a good base squad and some transfer funds, I'm awesome. But, I really struggle in the lower leagues. Not a bargain hunter.

Amateur

********** stars maybe? I'm the Phil Brown of FM.

Deluded.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2