Buying a new laptop...

not saying they are all crap :p just saying i hear a lot more bad things about them than good. constant over-heating being a main problem for them. just thought he would like to know as buying something like a laptop you need to be well informed. i myself have a packard bell and have used those for years never had one single problem dell are also very reputable now. sony are over-priced dont even bother.

Dont get a laptop with anymore than 3GB because.....

A. 3 is more than enough for FM and most other things.

B. If you want more than 3GB then you should first install the 64bit version of windows.

the 64bit version of windows is exactly the same price as 32bit windows (or should be).

the main differences are:

64 bit OS can handle 4gb of ram or more

programs that can take advantage of 64bit processing will perform better than if they were ran on a 32 bit operating system

hp are quite a good brand, though they are a bit more expensive. the one that is on the link looks solid for the price.

you should look to upgrade to windows 7 if it doesnt come pre-installed after release will more than likely be around £65 will hace both 32bit and 64 bit versions avaliable for choosing.

this. i wouldnt bother getting any new laptop/desktop unless it has windows 7 or an upgrade voucher included.

I have a 3-year old Dell that was only about $700. The only thing I've upgraded on it has been the RAM (from 1gb to 2.5gb) and the game runs fine on my machine. Honestly, laptops now at comparable prices are MUCH better than mine, so no matter what you by now you should be ok.

windows 7 is released tomorrow anyway i think.

edit: try www.techradar.com

not sure if www.tomshardware.com has reviews or not but you could always try there too :p

yeah it is, i cant wait to get my hands on a copy :)

you could try the forums at www.overclockers.co.uk or the user reviews on dabs or ebuyer.

Thanks for the links I'll have a look. :thup:

Well, I think that 3GB of RAM is not a lot! 4GB of RAM is just nice to play almost ALL of the leagues!

im sure i read somehwere on these forums someplace that fm will not use more than approx 2gb no matter if you have 3gb or 8gm of ram. feel free to prove me wrong of course, there is always the chance i just made it up thinking i saw it.

i recently bought a refurbed laptop from currys for £356 (after discount)

2ghz core 2 duo, 3gb ram 512mb dedicated graphics. take a look around the usual places currys, dixons, pcworld(not reccomended tbh)

even dell or ebuyer.

make sure its not a celeron processor (they are usualy just plain crap) or integrated graphics.

intel pentium dual core, core 2 duo (2ghz or greater for processor)

3-4gb ram your looking for and at least 128mb dedicated graphics but usualy come at 256mb these days. if you find anything just post here ill take a look.

Archived